PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3 HUD...bothering anyone else ?

dangermouse76
07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Yeah that HUD just gets in my way. I dont like it. Especially when you go near a flag in conquest mode and the circle takes up the point directly above your sight in the middle of the screen. The place where enemies could be running in from. Also they seem to pop up only when your close to the flag and therefore more likely to need your eyesight for some close quarter action.

I may be fixating on it now but it is really starting to get in the way of my enjoment of the game. But I think the HUD in general needs a tidy up. I am on a 1400x900 res screen. My friend using an xbox ses it's worse for him in SD as it seems bigger.

Is there a way to edit HUD elements as yet ( PC version ). Is there anyone else who finds the HUD's central flag circles an annoyance.

Smashbox
07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
My only problem is with the semi-opaque chat window's intermittent appearance... It's very large.

Megagun
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
My only real problem with the HUD is that the icons being displayed don't have a black outline, which means that blue icons are nearly invisible to me when placed against a bright blueish background. Also, I have trouble distinguishing red icons (enemies) from green icons (squadmates), which sometimes causes me to shoot teammates or not shoot enemies.

The situation you describe, dangermouse76, also leads to another slight annoyance of mine: if you're on capzone C, and capturing it, you can't order your squadmates to defend C. To do that, you have to look at the C icon and hit the Q key, but you can't look at that C icon because it's always floating in the middle of your screen..

dangermouse76
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Yes that is annoying it's not like you have time to raise smoke signals to give orders.

Nalano
07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Also, I have trouble distinguishing red icons (enemies) from green icons (squadmates), which sometimes causes me to shoot teammates or not shoot enemies.

I do too, but I suspect your problem is color-blindness where mine is asininity.

westyfield
07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah, the HUD could do with a lot of work. The chatbox is huge and in the wrong place, the capture-point icon gets in the way and is generally broken (see below), and the minimap is crap.
Re: the capture-point icon - if you're capturing a point, and then loads of enemies swarm it and begin to capture it for their team, it still shows the blue ring filling up, until it suddenly goes red when the enemy cap it.

Smashbox
07-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Also, I've noticed the 'health icon' of a vehicle you're repairing is sometimes hard to find.

dangermouse76
07-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Agreed, I think a scaling option or percentage of original option would really help. I think the map needs moving to the top left corner; it feels more natural to my eyes for some reason. And possibly a colour change option or simplified HUD option. And I agree with above about the stream of points showing up as your playing.
When I am in prone on Metro for example it can really get in the way shooting enemies whilst taking hits the screen blurs up but I am still firing like crazy and getting kills but I cant see in front of me for points.

Actually I like the idea of my kills and points rolling across the bottom of the screen like a 24 hour news channel, with say my kills in one colour my sqauds in another and all my upgardes and pin bonuses in yet another.

Kinda like this but all the way along the bottom.

Nalano
07-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Also, I've noticed the 'health icon' of a vehicle you're repairing is sometimes hard to find.

If it'll let you use your repair tool on it, its health is less than 100%. That's pretty much all I need to know.

sabrage
07-11-2011, 11:33 PM
My only problem is with the semi-opaque chat window's intermittent appearance... It's very large.

This! I like the overall visual aesthetic, but the chat window is huge!

westyfield
07-11-2011, 11:39 PM
If it'll let you use your repair tool on it, its health is less than 100%. That's pretty much all I need to know.

I think the icon only appears when the health is less than 100. I was repairing an APC earlier and the icon vanished, I continued repairing but the spark effect had been replaced by just the flame. Then a massive bang, the APC shook, the icon re-appeared and the normal repair animation begun again.

Nalano
07-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I think the icon only appears when the health is less than 100. I was repairing an APC earlier and the icon vanished, I continued repairing but the spark effect had been replaced by just the flame. Then a massive bang, the APC shook, the icon re-appeared and the normal repair animation begun again.

Exactly!

By the way, funniest thing ever done thus far: Was a support with an enemy tank in the vicinity. Didn't have C4, and mortar would've been inconvenient. So, I ran up and humped the tank. Too close to use the HMG or the main cannon, so he popped out of the tank to shoot me.

And I stole his tank. :D

Citruspunch
08-11-2011, 05:46 PM
my 2 cents:
chat window should be # lines optional.
capture icon should be higher or around crosshair
my biggest bug bear- the time it takes for 'enemy killed' to appear at the bottom of the screen is far too long. At some distances and when things are chaotic you want to see you've taken the guy down instantly and move on.

The Innocent
08-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Agree on all that's been said. Also, when spawning, I wish it were clearer where I'm going to appear. If there are lots of icons jumbling the map, I'm often not sure which squadmate I'm going to appear on. This should be much clearer than it is currently.

Stellar Duck
08-11-2011, 11:57 PM
I'd like to be able to get the chat box to show up so I can actually read that message I missed while busy putting C4 on a tank or running for cover.

Said chat box should of course be smaller, moved, show more lines and in general be like the chat boxes in Valve games.

Guy1: I say something obnoxious now.
Guy2: You're a cock ball!
Guy1: Yo mama!
Guy3: Attack C you idiots!

Instead of the current mess that it is.