PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl Stunty Tournament – The Gauntlin Goblet!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Screwie
09-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Hello! Several folks here thought a goblin-centric Blood Bowl tournament would be a good laugh, so here we go - it's RPS' own goblin gauntlet! Who will win the coveted Gauntlin Goblet? Who will be the glorious victor? Who will have the least incompetent players? And who will have the best fed trolls? Let's learn together!

SEASON 5 IS UNDER WAY!

Please find the spreadsheet here:

SEASON 5 SPREADSHEET (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsuLVyFm1RqWdFc0Ykh4XzZDOTgzTDhhWVdyZ0lGT Xc&usp=sharing)

---

The Season 1 sheet is still available here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsuLVyFm1RqWdGlpN1ZlVWxIZU9KOV9BNjJySHQyb UE)....
And the Season 2 sheet is here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsuLVyFm1RqWdFE5SmxjTnJtLXFjSmY0cDRFX21PT FE).
The Season 3 sheet is here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsuLVyFm1RqWdHpEYURmMDV5YVlkTUlHUnc1UUpIY 2c).
The Season 4 sheet is here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsuLVyFm1RqWdGhTY2RtbEthQk9fYTQtUkpveVZYU 0E&usp=sharing).

---

Goblet Hall of Fame
Season 1 Champion - "Fat Fred's Flings" - Drawlien's Halflings
Season 2 Champion - "It Came for Dessert" - El Cubo's Halflings
Season 3 Champion - "Megalosauria" - El Cubo's Skinks
Season 4 Champion - "Tunnel Vision" - NieA7's Underworld

ntw
09-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm in!

(stupid 10 character minimum length limit)

LowKey
09-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I am also in, huzza for stunties!

Schizoslayer
10-11-2011, 01:23 AM
For Great Puddings!

drawlien
10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm in.

Just an adminny type observation: I ran something similar back before LE with just gobbos. The drop-out rate was even higher than normal so I'd recommend not having too long a season, and 8 weeks or so is quite long. That way peoples interest will (hopefully) be sustained until the end.

Indefatigible Snoozer
10-11-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm in. Nobody's taken an Ogre team yet? This must be remedied!

Vexing Vision
10-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Goblinpowaaaaaaaah, the Shortstuff Stumblers are so in that it hurts like a chainsaw through the heart.

I just realized that the Bombardier is actually a really interesting unit in an all-stunty-league. This will be fun!

Also, I like the inclusion of potions.

Screwie
10-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Just an adminny type observation: I ran something similar back before LE with just gobbos. The drop-out rate was even higher than normal so I'd recommend not having too long a season, and 8 weeks or so is quite long. That way peoples interest will (hopefully) be sustained until the end.

Thanks for the advice!

My reasons for wanting a long season are because Stunty teams develop slowly, yet you're right I have to consider potential dropouts. And the injury rate will probably be rather high. Hmm.

I'll leave it "8 weeks" for now but as a maximum, and we can look at it again once the application numbers are in.

Gorm
10-11-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm interested but not sure what team i will take, probably goblins.

President Weasel
10-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi Screwie. I admire what you're trying to do here. Personally I am not a big fan of all stunty leagues - but I am a big fan of RPS cups! How about I step in with a team if you end up with an odd number, and getting one more in would make it easier to adminstrate, but otherwise I sit this one out?

Screwie
10-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks PW, I'll be sure to take you up on that offer if we need filler.

Gorm
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Okay made a Goblin team

LowKey
10-11-2011, 12:51 PM
oh also I am assuming less than 1000 TV teams are acceptable so long as they are new?

Screwie
10-11-2011, 12:57 PM
oh also I am assuming less than 1000 TV teams are acceptable so long as they are new?

You can certainly go that route.

I'll have to remember to lower the min TV when I create the league. What is a good minimum TV?

DarkFenix
10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Count me in too, currently thinking goblins, but if the teams remain too skewed I'll probably swap to ogres.

LowKey
10-11-2011, 01:13 PM
my very limited understanding of hacking halflings is to start them at TV600 so perhaps that?

Screwie
10-11-2011, 01:20 PM
my very limited understanding of hacking halflings is to start them at TV600 so perhaps that?

Crikey. I knew they liked to start behind the curve but that's a halfling chef and a wizard and then some!

Okay, 600 it is. That should be enough even if anyone is crazy enough to make an all-snotling team. (Note to self: Gotta try this.)

Indefatigible Snoozer
10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Does anyone have a good site setting out a list of the extended inducements in the Cyanide game? I'm sure someone on the internets has done some analysis of them as well...

ChainsawHands
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Is there any particular reason to have lower TV limit at all?

DarkFenix
10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
The idea with 600TV for a halfling team is it'll get you 400k in inducements against a 1000TV team, which I believe is enough to get the star player tree man and a master chef.

ChainsawHands
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I get that, but if someone wanted to have a 220K team of 11 snotlings... why not let them?

Screwie
10-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Does anyone have a good site setting out a list of the extended inducements in the Cyanide game? I'm sure someone on the internets has done some analysis of them as well...

I will add a page to the spreadsheet explaining the extended inducements.

EDIT:

I get that, but if someone wanted to have a 220K team of 11 snotlings... why not let them?

In principle, I don't object to lowering it further. However I think realistically there's a limit to how low you can go and still be considered a team. Even a snotling team would want substitutes and TRRs, for example.

So maybe lower than 600K, but probably higher than 220K.

I'm not sure what the 220K snotling masterplan might be, but now I'm curious. :)

Jiiiiim
10-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Tempted by all snotlings now.

Schizoslayer
10-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Except not quite as useful vs other Stunty teams. Good luck getting both a Master Chef and Deeproot vs my teams TV of 750

mrpier
10-11-2011, 07:53 PM
11 snotlings and Morg that's 650k, 300k for halfling chef maybe, fill up with more snotlings :) This would probably be "better" if more of the star players were implemented though. Maybe the extended inducements will make this more attractive also.

Edit: schizoslayer has a good point.

groovychainsaw
10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm in! Any opportunity to play as my imbecilic ogres!! Team design begins now... ;-)

lasikbear
10-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Seeing as its a stunty tournament, would Lizardmen count if its all Skinks and maybe a Krox? I have never played as non Lizardmen except a few half completed AI games, feels like a shame to ruin that now.

imirk
10-11-2011, 08:15 PM
It was previously decided that MA8 and not having the "Right Stuff" and generally being a legitamate team precluded them.

lasikbear
10-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Ok, thats fair, guess I could always play as goblins that really really wish they were Skinks.

Tom OBedlam
10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
ahoy, I'm in with Ogres

Screwie
10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Ok, thats fair, guess I could always play as goblins that really really wish they were Skinks.

That is a great concept for a goblin team :)

Vexing Vision
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
The real question is... what would you want Morg for? Isn't that a bit overkill for hurting Goblins?

Schizoslayer
10-11-2011, 09:31 PM
The real question is... what would you want Morg for? Isn't that a bit overkill for hurting Goblins?

Exactly. What people forget in an all stunty league is that with the exception of big guys (Which all teams should be fielding at least two of really) everybody has the same strength and AV so you only need 1 assist to get a 2D block. Indeed an all stunty league opens up the tactics beyond pure team mate throwing and you can actually try and play a proper running game!

imirk
10-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Exactly. What people forget in an all stunty league is that with the exception of big guys (Which all teams should be fielding at least two of really) everybody has the same strength and AV so you only need 1 assist to get a 2D block. Indeed an all stunty league opens up the tactics beyond pure team mate throwing and you can actually try and play a proper running game!
Unless you are ogres, snots are really horb.s, but they do all come with sidestep :P

NieA7
11-11-2011, 01:54 AM
I'm in, always liked chainsawing my way through other teams (oh Hack Enslash, how I miss you).

potatoedoughnut
14-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Ahhhh I want to play more Blood Bowl, but I don't have time for another league at the moment. I will follow the thread so make some good match reports!

Screwie
16-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow, currently there are 14 teams! Marvellous. :) In two groups that would be 6 matches before the play-offs. That seems about right to me, although a couple more teams wouldn't spoil things either ;)

As for the Extended Inducement rules, I couldn't find a concise list online so I'll make one myself. Expect it to be added to the sheet by the weekend.

Screwie
19-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I've updated the spreadsheet with a page on Extended Inducements, and another about that annoying Bribe bug in case you weren't aware of it.

I'll leave applications open until Monday evening, which is when I'll be forming the league in-game. I'll let you know once it's there and you can get your teams signed up in time for the commencement on the 25th.

So if you're interested, there is still time for more players to apply!

Screwie
21-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I've created the league in-game! Please apply to the RPS Gauntlin Goblet (password: chainsawed) at your earliest convenience. I'll update the first post to include this information too.

One potential sticking point is that 14 teams is not a good number, since groups of 7 players would leave an odd one out. :( If it turns out that we need to expand to 16 players, I'll be calling in PW's favour for a filler team. Alternatively if we have fewer teams than expected then I'm happy to drop out to even things up. We'll see how it goes over the next dew days.

EDIT: This is how I see it working out. Either:

A. 12 players in 2 groups of 6 teams. 5 matches before the play-offs.
B. 16 players in 4 groups of 4. 6 matches before the play-offs.

LowKey
21-11-2011, 11:29 PM
application awaaaaaaaaaay

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 10:01 AM
After DECISIVELY beating Screwie's Goblins in our two consecutive test-matches (1:1, 1:2 is decisive enough), I am all totally prepared for this.

I just have no idea when I get around to sign up. Any deadlines?

Screwie
22-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Ideally I'd like to get us up and running in time for this weekend, however if you can't sign up before Friday night I'll push that provisional deadline back.

Jiiiiim
22-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Je Suis Applied

Gorm
22-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Aapppplliieedd

DarkFenix
22-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I'll try and get applied this evening, tomorrow if not. Depends when I have the time.

groovychainsaw
22-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Applied with 'Sunny Day Snotling Creche'. Who ensure that your snotlings will be safe and well-cared for by our ogre staff, and most certainly will not be hired out for violent blood sports. And thats a guarantee!

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Alright, the Stumblers are in.

drawlien
22-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Applied with Fat Fred's Flings

Tom OBedlam
22-11-2011, 11:07 PM
I'll apply by close of tomorrow

Indefatigible Snoozer
23-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm in with 'Da Smarterest Teem'.

Question re Extended Inducements - does 'I've got my eye on you' have a percentage chance to work, or is it automatic if they pick the right player?
Does it work if the potion effect failed?

Also - Does the Wizard recharge without any cheering fans, or do you need at least one cheering fan to have any recharge?
Anyone know roughly what recharge rate is - eg, is 4 cheering fans going to give you a wizard every 2 turns?

These are the sorts of questions that have prompted the press to call 'Da Smarterest Teem' 'The "Smarterest" Ogre team in bloodbowl history.'

ntw
23-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Will try and get applied tonight, better start thinking of a suitably witty name for my goblin horde...

Kelron
23-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm in with 'Da Smarterest Teem'.

Question re Extended Inducements - does 'I've got my eye on you' have a percentage chance to work, or is it automatic if they pick the right player?
Does it work if the potion effect failed?

Also - Does the Wizard recharge without any cheering fans, or do you need at least one cheering fan to have any recharge?
Anyone know roughly what recharge rate is - eg, is 4 cheering fans going to give you a wizard every 2 turns?

These are the sorts of questions that have prompted the press to call 'Da Smarterest Teem' 'The "Smarterest" Ogre team in bloodbowl history.'

I'm fairly sure the anti-inducement inducements always work if you pick the right player. I've never used them, they don't seem like a good deal and it's rare for both sides to have inducement money.

The wizard is apparently recharged by any actions that earn SPP, mainly TDs and casualties but also small amounts from dodging. Cheering fans increase the rate of recharge, but you're not guaranteed a 2nd wizard use, especially if you use it late in the game.

Screwie
23-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I believe Kelron's answers are correct.

The Wizard recharge definitely works without Cheering Fans, but I don't know what the multiplier is for each CF. Also I am not sure if Rioting Fans only serve to cancel out CFs or if they can slow the Wizard recharge directly. That might be a possibility.

Personally I very much like the Potions and Player Bribes. They are cheap ways to get an advantage and if bought in multiples, you're likely to see an effect on the field. Bodyguards and IGMEOYs not so much - particularly with stunty teams and the few player roles they have - but once players start to level up, choice targets to defend (and attack) are likely to appear.

EDIT: This kind of uncertainty would certainly put me off using Extended Inducements in a serious competition, but for the purposes of the Goblet I hope it will be new and interesting and fun. :)

Would be nice of Cyanide to write documentation for their own game, though...

ntw
23-11-2011, 01:42 PM
lets all play the "Would be nice of Cyanide to..." game,

I'll go first - Would be nice of Cyanide to write a decent UI for BB

Tom OBedlam
23-11-2011, 07:52 PM
applied

Would be nice of Cyanide to release a patch with new announcer shouts

ntw
23-11-2011, 09:03 PM
The "Friendly Little Fellas" have applied.

NieA7
23-11-2011, 11:26 PM
The Philanthropists - taken from the incomparable list of notable philanthropists on Wikipedia - have applied, lead by their head trolls Mother Theresa and Shakira.

Wolfenswan
23-11-2011, 11:51 PM
And I'n. "Smash, Stomp & Serve cold" (5 Ogres and only 2 rerolls as i am INSANE) because I'm uncreative and too lazy for elaborate naming schemes.

DarkFenix
24-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Balls, didn't wind up having time yesterday, posting from uni now but I'll try to get in tonight.

Edit: Applied 'Bend Ogre' to the league.

Screwie
25-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Cool, that is all 15 teams applied to the league! :D

I asked PW yesterday if he was still okay to fill if needed and he said yes. So Mr President, if you'd be so kind as to apply with a team today/tonight then I can post the first week's matches on the spreadsheet and we can begin!

President Weasel
25-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Okey cokey, unless I hear differently by this evening I will stick a halfling team in

Screwie
25-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Cheers PW, much appreciated.

DarkFenix
25-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm of the opinion there should be another game mode just for TTM teams, one in which you score by 'kick' rather than touchdown. Throw a ball carrying player between the posts to score!

Screwie
25-11-2011, 03:12 PM
That would be a lot of fun :) I've never (yet) managed to throw a little guy off the pitch, myself.

Tom OBedlam
25-11-2011, 07:19 PM
I have. I used to have a gobbo team.

Turn 16 1-1. My star player, Smiley Fullgut, has the ball and very tiny legs, there's no way he can get to the endzone. My treewoman, Annie Oakley, hurls Fullgut maximum distance and he flies beautifully. Too well. Far too well for one so well built by nature and appetite to be unaerodynamic. Every scatter pointed towards the endzone. Every roll a 6. In her enthusiasm, Annie had launched Fullgut over the bleachers, where he landed in cartpark and apparently disturbed an ogre's bbq, ending up as the main course.

Do you have any idea how fucking hard it is to keep a halfling alive long enough to consider him your star player?

President Weasel
25-11-2011, 07:53 PM
OK, the Tiny Little Presidents have applied.
I am particularly proud of 'John Quincy Incy Wincy Adams'.

(Also, the mighty Jiiiiiim came up with 'Theadorable Roosevelt' and 'Midget Nixon')

Screwie
25-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Excellent name :D

I am seeding the teams right now. I'll update the spreadsheet and make the announcement very soon.

EDIT:

The groups have been seeded, the spreadsheet is up to date, the first match deadline is Monday 5th December, the tournament has begun!

Check out your scheduled opponent and use this thread to arrange your games. Good luck everyone!

President Weasel
25-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Right, I must play "The Philanthropists" who belong to Under 7.
Pick an evening next week?

President Weasel
25-11-2011, 09:27 PM
The idea with 600TV for a halfling team is it'll get you 400k in inducements against a 1000TV team, which I believe is enough to get the star player tree man and a master chef.

Unfortunately my first opponent is an 870 TV goblin team so that plan's out the window.
Always, always, always get the chef though.

Screwie
25-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately my first opponent is an 870 TV goblin team so that plan's out the window.
Always, always, always get the chef though.

Especially if you only have 1 TRR naturally... bit risky there PW :)

President Weasel
25-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I ended up getting a couple more rerolls and an apoc in case one of my treemans got hurt, since the 870ishness of my opponent scuppered the 600TV plan anyway. I can always get rid of them again if I somehow make it to the next round.

NieA7
25-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Goblins vs. Flings, the mind boggles. 10:00pm on Monday would be good, or 8:00 on Tuesday or Thursday.

President Weasel
25-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Monday at 10pm. Let's do that!

DarkFenix
25-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Odd seeding, I'm due to face Kelron twice in a row then Schizoslayer twice in a row.

Jiiiiim
25-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Okay I've added all the people in my group on Steam. Tom: BATTLE TO THE DEATH!!!

Screwie
25-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Odd seeding, I'm due to face Kelron twice in a row then Schizoslayer twice in a row.

Yeah it's a bit weird. Not a lot I can do about that, I fear. I'm facing Jiiim twice in a row myself.

Gorm, do you have time to play this weekend?

NieA7
26-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Monday at 10pm. Let's do that!

Awesome, see you then. Now you've given up on the 600TV thing I'm half tempted to buy more goblins...

ntw
26-11-2011, 11:56 AM
GC - we finally get to play each other! And as Nuffle intended, with shite teams.

Gorm
26-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Yea i can play this weekend Screwie, this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon are both fine for me.

President Weasel
26-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Awesome, see you then. Now you've given up on the 600TV thing I'm half tempted to buy more goblins...

If you buy more goblins I will just sell the rerolls and the apoc :)

Vexing Vision
26-11-2011, 01:30 PM
drawlien! Your Fat Flings (no offense, your words not mine) wish to reside on the receiving end of a chainsaw!

When shall we make this happen?

Jiiiiim
26-11-2011, 02:37 PM
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4181/butterfield1.png

NieA7
26-11-2011, 03:20 PM
If you buy more goblins I will just sell the rerolls and the apoc :)

Treachery!

Tom OBedlam
26-11-2011, 04:37 PM
hahaha that's ace, Jiiiiim.

Yes indeed, the Stuntys managed to eek out a thoroughly underhanded draw through underarmed and overhead tactics. The match began terribly for me as I tried to get a feel for what the Snotlings were capable of and attempted to play them like humans, which, unsurprisingly, failed. Once I realised the little fellas are all but untackleable things progessed a little better, but special mention has to go to Nuffle who gifted Jiiiiiim three red skulls over and over again.

Kelron
26-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Schizoslayer - I hope you will keep your slaying to a minimum when we meet. When shall it be? I am here during the day Tuesday and Thursday but not in the evening. Any other evening is possible.

Indefatigible Snoozer
27-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Fairly uneventful first game between me and Darkfenix's Ogres. 0-0, and not a dead snotling to speak of!

Important lessons for other first time stunty users:
1. You can only throw one team mate per turn (there goes my 'fuselade of snotlings' tactic, with 5 ogres throwing 5 snotlings in a single turn).
2. throwing a team mate counts as your pass (ie, you can't throw a team mate and also pass the ball) - I think, at least it wouldn't let me pass the ball in the same turn I'd thrown a team mate, but correct me if I'm wrong, oh wiser men amongst us.

Screwie
27-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Yea i can play this weekend Screwie, this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon are both fine for me.

Cool, tomorrow afternoon would be fine.

DarkFenix
27-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Christ it really was a bit of a dull game. Failed rolls galore (particularly on bonehead) made pretty much any attempt at a fancy move futile. Add in that mighty blow did basically nothing all match (most of the casualties were off fouls or snotling blocks) and you have a recipe for a messy, messy game.

potatoedoughnut
27-11-2011, 08:10 AM
2. throwing a team mate counts as your pass (ie, you can't throw a team mate and also pass the ball) - I think, at least it wouldn't let me pass the ball in the same turn I'd thrown a team mate, but correct me if I'm wrong, oh wiser men amongst us.

Yes, throwing a team mate counts as a pass (so you can only throw 1 snotling/goblin/fling per turn and can't follow up with a ball pass).

Schizoslayer
27-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Schizoslayer - I hope you will keep your slaying to a minimum when we meet. When shall it be? I am here during the day Tuesday and Thursday but not in the evening. Any other evening is possible.

I can do tuesday or thursday around 3ish.

drawlien
27-11-2011, 04:06 PM
I played Vexing Vision this morning - my 'flings against his gobbos. I managed to stall his drive in the first half whilst ending up causing about as many casualties and K.O.'s which meant my 'flings started with an advantage for my drive after his secret weapons got sent off.

I also caused at least one more casualty in the first couple of turns of the second half so was able to stall until the final turn before scoring. Nothing dramatic happened in VV's final turn so the game finished 1 - 0 to me. One of my trees got the man of the match award which was useful.

Thanks for the game VV!

Gorm
27-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Just played Screwie, it was a game that was all about the skill of the players and would have brough a tear to any elf teams eye. Oh no wait it was a terrible bloodbath, that Orcs would be proud of. Screwie won it with a touch down on the final turn.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6620/2011112700001.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3533/2011112700002.jpg

Jiiiiim
27-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Okay so one halfling got a level out of the match. Rolled a double six. Oh god. +Strength? Guard? Tackle? Block? Mighty Blow? Leader? So many choices.

jryan
27-11-2011, 06:54 PM
For the simple fact that it's a stunty league I would take +Str. I think that would be the most universally helpful, and might lead to more SPP down the road with all the snottling blood on his tiny Halfling fists.

Jiiiiim
27-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I dunno, if it's skillpoints I want then mighty blow or block is probably a better bet. Strength would give me someone who is a very good stunty ball-carrier and hard to knock over but not someone who will necessarily get skillpoints. Tackle or Stripball will marginally increase the odds I can break through stupid stunty dodge and stop other teams scoring, leader will give me a cheap reroll which I probably need when I can't afford a masterchef.

Argh...

NieA7
27-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Thick skull, obv.

jryan
27-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I was figuring it would give you a 2d roll on most stunty-on-stuny action, plus the ball carrier boost. Scoring and Stunty killing pleases Nuffle.

Kelron
27-11-2011, 11:11 PM
I can do tuesday or thursday around 3ish.

Thursday at 3, then.

Tom OBedlam
27-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Oh my... I've got a +1 MA snotling!

Screwie
28-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for that really messy game, Gorm. :D

Yesterday I validated the matches that had been done at the time. Got my troll to level 2! :)

Wolfenswan
28-11-2011, 12:40 PM
reporting live from the ogre vs halflings match with low-key i can safely assume that i deserve the trophy for the worst dice throws in a first round, ever.

on the very first roll my ogre got three red skulls vs a single halfling, followed by 4 consecutive ones on the bonehead throws for the others. fast forward three rounds and two of my orges have already been badly injured with the snotlings following steadily.

Round 12 Update: It looks like we're coming close to an ogre team wiped completely off the field.

Vexing Vision
28-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I played Vexing Vision this morning - my 'flings against his gobbos. I managed to stall his drive in the first half whilst ending up causing about as many casualties and K.O.'s which meant my 'flings started with an advantage for my drive after his secret weapons got sent off.

1-0 it was indeed, and fully deserved for drawlien. My Stumblers honoured their name and kept failing dodge-rolls left and right, and I did not expect to run out of Goblins a lot faster than the Halflings ran out of Halflings. Also, the Master Cook managed to steal three rerolls in the first half, which did not really help me at all!

Well played, drawlien, for the bashiest Halfling-team ever.

LowKey
28-11-2011, 02:54 PM
reporting live from the ogre vs halflings match with low-key i can safely assume that i deserve the trophy for the worst dice throws in a first round, ever.

on the very first roll my ogre got three red skulls vs a single halfling, followed by 4 consecutive ones on the bonehead throws for the others. fast forward three rounds and two of my orges have already been badly injured with the snotlings following steadily.

Round 12 Update: It looks like we're coming close to an ogre team wiped completely off the field.

yeah Wolfenswan had a tough time of it, most of the roles went favourably to me and by the time I scored the final TD there was only one player left on the ogre team (what happens if there are no players left on a team by the way) final score 3-0 to me

Screwie
28-11-2011, 02:59 PM
what happens if there are no players left on a team by the way

The game continues on. If you have no players left to use your turn just ends automatically.

...yes, this has happened to me.

Gorm
28-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh, really? I thought you would just get an autowin or something

Screwie
28-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I assumed LowKey was talking about players on the pitch. If you've got some KOed players or other subs, they can come back on for the next play.

On the other hand if we're talking about a situation where all your players are injured or dead, that's potentially something else. I've never seen that happen though. *knocks on wood*

Gorm
28-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Oh i thought he meant at a kick-off. What happens then? Any ideas?

Vexing Vision
28-11-2011, 08:58 PM
According to some ancient core rules, the opposition is forced to concede the match when he can no longer populate the Line of Scrimmage.

This has never happened in any Cyanide game I was present at, so I have no idea how our beloved French take on BloodBowl handles it.

NieA7
29-11-2011, 12:26 AM
President Weasel and I just played a game that could only be described as stupendous, everything a 'fling vs. gobbo game should be. It ended 1-1, I may try a write up when I recover but I'm not sure I have the words.

President Weasel
29-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Tiny Little President Running Casualty report:

Li'l Clinton: Smashed hip (we had to shoot him)
John Quincy Wincy Adams: Badly Hurt (he'll be back)
Midget Nixon: Failed a dodge and died
George Washingtiny: dropped by a tree instead of thrown, landed poorly, badly hurt (he'll be back)

The game went wrong for the halfling heads of state when they rerolled a both down/both down to a skull/skull, with a halfling within waddling range of a touchdown. That was the high water mark of the first half - although the single best moment was when a troll threw a goblin with the ball right off the pitch, and the goblin died! It was also quite amusing when the chainsaw goblin came on in the second half, failed his first attack, stunned himself, and got stamped on by 4 halflings and carried off unconscious. I also have to admit I did find the death of my own player through failing a dodge quite amusing too.
You have to take your pleasure where you find it, really.

Both of us were injuring our own players like there was a prize for running out of mans first. Somewhere in there the goblins scored a touchdown after throwing a goblin (who didn't die!)

Then Ronald Reagan scored a completely undeserved touchdown from nowhere, surving a three dice blitz from a troll then making 4 dodges and 2 GFIs without using a reroll. What a tiny, tiny hero! He followed that up by smashing a goblin in the face soon after the restart and badly hurting him.

We fumbled around with the ball for a couple of turns after the restart, achieving very little, and the game ended 1 all.

As far as I can tell, the game then decided to give my MVP to Midget Nixon. That'll be the dead halfing. That's not particularly helpful.

ntw
29-11-2011, 10:56 AM
^ this is what BloodBowl should be! :D

ntw
01-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Despite suffering from the steep learning curve with Goblins, I managed to weasel a 1-1 draw against GC's Ogres. A few lessons learnt and a Lvl gained as well!

potatoedoughnut
01-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Despite suffering from the steep learning curve with Goblins, I managed to weasel a 1-1 draw against GC's Ogres. A few lessons learnt and a Lvl gained as well!

Share your lessons with the crowd! :)

groovychainsaw
01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Lesson 1: Trolls really are really stupid
Lesson 2: Fortunately, ogres are boneheads too, and when they go, they like to all go off together.
Lesson 3: Whilst the ogres are away, snotlings do not offer much in the way of defence, even to a goblin runner
Lesson 3a: When a goblin has the ball, you will only roll pushes against him
Lesson 4: Both snotlings and goblins are remarkably resilient, and cannot be harmed easily by mighty blow-wielding big fellas
Lesson 5: Fanatics can be taken out by 'both down' results on their first attack
Lesson 6: Ogres can be nearly killed by well-placed bombs
Lesson 7: The bombardier can be KOd by a well-placed fumble

That'll do for now, I'll see what other 'rules' i can recall from our game later...

Screwie
01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Lesson 3a: When a goblin has the ball, you will only roll pushes against him

Come on now, after our game last night you know this isn't true :P

groovychainsaw
01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure i only got a knockdown against the ball-carrier once in our game - you threw him at me the other 2 times :-)

ntw
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Lesson 7a: Bombardiers have great potential to be fun
Lesson 8: The countdown timer for deciding to use bribes is ridiculously short
Lesson 9: *ALWAYS* remember to press the save button after making changes to your team, especially when you've done it to correct a huge and glaring oversight in your team build

Screwie
01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Lesson 7a: Bombardiers have great potential to be fun

They have in fact overtaken the chainsaw looney as my favourite goblin. There are some rather clever things you can do with a bomber, and the results are always hilarious.

Lesson 8: The countdown timer for deciding to use bribes is ridiculously short

And how! I made sure to mention this on the spreadsheet because it's caught me out several times in the past.

Schizoslayer
01-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I was supposed to play Kelron today at 3 however I completely lost track of the time and didn't. That said his steam profile suggests he's not been online in 16 hours so we may both be rubbish.

jryan
01-12-2011, 05:08 PM
although the single best moment was when a troll threw a goblin with the ball right off the pitch, and the goblin died!

Truly this is the greatest event in Blood Bowl history. In the Warhammer "Wide World of Sports" this is the scene played as the announcer says "and the agony of defeat" (original video (http://www.retrojunk.com/tv/videos/1016-abcs-wide-world-of-sports/1808/)).

Kelron
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I was supposed to play Kelron today at 3 however I completely lost track of the time and didn't. That said his steam profile suggests he's not been online in 16 hours so we may both be rubbish.

I think you're looking at a different Kelron, I've been online all day. It's no problem though, just let me know when we can reschedule it for.

This is me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kelron

Schizoslayer
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Yep that's who I added to friends and at the time it claimed you hadn't been online for 16 hours. Odd.

EDIT: Looking at your pending invite on my friends list right now and it says Last Online: 20 Hours ago.

EDITTheSecond: I'm available all day tomorrow if you are available. I work from home so I can play whenever you want.

ntw
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
They have in fact overtaken the chainsaw looney as my favourite goblin. There are some rather clever things you can do with a bomber, and the results are always hilarious.

And how! I made sure to mention this on the spreadsheet because it's caught me out several times in the past.

Lesson 10: Read Screwie's notes on the Spreadsheet

Kelron
02-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Day 1 is now complete with my 2-0 victory over Schizoslayer. Lots of injuries and lots of halflings being thrown and falling flat on their face. No goblins got eaten but my Bombardier threw a bomb in my troll's face on the first turn. This is apparently a great motivational tactic as the troll went on to lay waste to the halflings and even kill one.

Schizoslayer
02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Day 1 is now complete with my 2-0 victory over Schizoslayer. Lots of injuries and lots of halflings being thrown and falling flat on their face. No goblins got eaten but my Bombardier threw a bomb in my troll's face on the first turn. This is apparently a great motivational tactic as the troll went on to lay waste to the halflings and even kill one.

My favourite bit was when I threw a fling who not only landed in a tackle zone but then dodges out, 1 dice blitzed your pogo guy and knocked him over on a both down.

NieA7
02-12-2011, 11:54 PM
The Philanthropists vs. Tiny Little Presidents

The Philanthropists: some of the most generous goblins ever to grace the field of Blood Bowl.

Tiny Little Presidents: former leaders of the free world taking to the pitch to spread the American way one touchdown at a time.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/NieAUnder7/Header.jpg

It's on.

The Philanthropists kicked off both under a blinding sun and from within a miasma of delicious odours emanating from the Halflings dugout. This combination was so distracting they immediately forgot most of whatever training they had, losing two re-rolls and giving away a touchback to Teeny Tiny Taft, who sprinted to the touchline to form a huddle of former presidents. Alfred Nobel, of course, was having none of this: quick as a flash he threw some high explosives towards the presidents in a bold mass-assassination attempt. Fate smiled on America however, as L'il Clinton deftly caught the bomb and hurled it back to the goblins, knocking out Tarek Ben Halim before he could even start telling people of the good works his Alfanar foundation carry out across the Middle East.

Capitalising on the confusion, mighty treeman Gerald Ford grabbed Life Size James Madison 5'4" and hurled him gracefully downfield, with Tiny Taft pounding along behind. Unfortunately something distracted the 22nd president as he ran past the troll Shakira, causing him to fall flat on his face and spill the ball at the feet of Arpad Busson (a faint cry of "YOU HAVE DODGE AND STUNTY YOU STUPID LITTLE MAN" was heard from the President's dugout). Michael Bloomberg seized the opportunity, grabbed the ball and handed it off to Busson, ready for Shakira to hurl him over the shocked Presidents. Sadly, this was not to be. Busson was accidentally propelled violently into the crowd, who proceeded to deliberately propel various pieces of him violently around the stadium. When the dust settled the ball was by the sidelines, but of Busson there was no sign (just a rather suspicious green smear nearby).

Buoyed by this unfortunate accident the Presidents counter-attacked, with only a brief pause to allow Nobel to blow himself up. Midget Nixon made the pickup and pelted down field to hand-off to MicroLincoln, who sprinted as fast as his stumpy legs would carry him towards the end zone. Madison blitzed down Bloomberg and knocked him out, while Gerald Ford demonstrated his lack of appreciation for popular music by punching Shakira in the face. A gaggle of presidents swiftly descended on the downed troll, with Clinton heading a presidential beating that left the Latin pop princess stunned. The Presidents were now just a few yards away from scoring, but after his twin humiliations Nobel was in no mood to give in. Hauling himself to his feet he sprinted over to Lincoln, where he was quickly joined by Christina Aguilera. Together they pushed Lincoln back, while the troll Mother Theresa - finally roused from her gentle contemplation – hurled Warren Buffet fully half way down the pitch, where he made a perfect landing and ran between Lincoln and the end zone.

Seeing Lincoln's situation Theodorable Roosevelt decided it was time to act. Gerald Ford pushed Prince Karim Aga Khan IV towards the famous hunter, ready for the coup de gras. However, in his fervour the bluff old president underestimated Karim, who first attempted to wrestle both of them down, then, when Theodorable tried again, knocked him squarely to the ground despite Ford's assistance, leaving Lincoln stranded amidst angry charitable donors. You write off the grizzled civil war leader at your peril though - despite help from Warren Buffet Lincoln still managed to take Christina Aguilera down with him. Ford quickly turned to L'il Clinton, throwing him suddenly down field towards the ball. Unfortunately the throw was a little too sudden: Clinton crash landed, smashing his hip in the process. Sensing the half slipping away the other presidents sprang into action, with Little Barak Obama, Midget Nixon and John Quincy Incy Wincy Adams moving quickly to offer support while Tiny Taft laid out Alfred Nobel and moved up next to Buffet.

Away from the spotlight Andy 'Old Hickory' Jackson, the other Halfling treeman, carried out an act that will surely live on in infamy, knocking down and badly hurting saint Mother Theresa. The gods of the Old World made their displeasure at this blasphemy known as the holy troll swiftly regenerated her wounds. Enraged by this sacrilege The Philanthropists struck back, stunning Taft, knocking out Lincoln and badly hurting Adams. Jackson tried to atone for his sins by throwing Itsy Bitsy Ronnie Reagan into the action, but this assistance came too late for Nixon who fell over and died while trying to evade a raging William Allen. Driven on by his fury Allen went for a hit on Obama, but the tiny president knocked Allen down with contemptuous ease. Seeking to emulate his distant successor Taft went for Buffet, but wily Warren managed to bring Taft down with him. With the half rapidly coming to a close Christina Aguilera sought revenge on Obama by knocking him into the crowd, before Alfred Nobel brought proceedings to a close with his by-now traditional display of self immolation.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/NieAUnder7/1-All.jpg

0-0 at half time, still with all to play for. While the Philanthropists coach busied himself force-feeding Nobel one of his own bombs, the coach of the Presidents made much better use of his time, delivering not only an inspirational half-time speech littered with some brilliant coaching but also a delicious snack (mysteriously called "Bacon/Lettuce/Arpad Rolls") that so enraged the Philanthropists they lost another 2 re-rolls for the coming half. Of course Nobel wasn't the only trick up the collective sleeves of the goblins – the second half would see the debut of the chainsaw wielding loony Bono…

Blink and you would've missed it though. Due to a tragic misunderstanding as to which end of the chainsaw he should be holding Bono's first action was to stun himself while trying to carve Madison into a smaller, less accurate statue of himself. Not taking this insult lightly Madison, along with several presidential colleagues, administered a righteous kicking that knocked Bono out like a light. All this happened so fast that the ball had been largely ignored, lying deep in the Philanthropists backfield, but the scrum around Bono had opened up the other side of the pitch. Evangelical donor Howard Ahamason scooped up the ball and ran to Mother Theresa (partly to secure the ball, partly to discuss theology), while Shakira and Jane Addams formed a loose screen and the Aga Kahn blitzed Obama away. The President's attempts to break this cage were ill-starred, starting with Johnson's fumbling badly hurting George Washingtiny and ending with MicroLincoln knocking himself out trying to blitz Ahmanson. Pressing the advantage home Michael Bloomberg KO'd Reagan while the Aga Kahn ran down field. All that was left was the throw…

It wasn't to be. Perhaps taking a leaf out of Johnson's branches Mother Theresa fumbled Ahamason, knocking him a) backwards from where he started, and b) out cold. The ball scattered into a no-man's land, loosely shielded by Philanthropists but tantalisingly open if only a President could reach it. Ford's distaste for modern music was further underlined by him stunning Christina Aguilera, but Taft's attempt to reach the ball was cut brutally short when he fell over his own feet and collapsed next to Mother Theresa.

With the reactions of a hawk Warren Buffet pounced on the ball, legged it up field and made the hand off to the Aga Kahn. The Philanthropists were now nothing but a gentle 2 turn stroll away from the end zone, with only one president close enough to catch up. Clearly there was only one course of action possible: thumping down the pitch as fast as she could Mother Theresa grabbed the Aga Kahn and launched him towards the end zone. The crowd held its breath…

It's good! Executing a double flip on landing the Aga Kahn leisurely jogged into the end zone to score, 1-0 to The Philanthropists. The match was taking its toll on the Presidents, now down to 7 leaders of the free world, but with Bono being sent off (despite his continued unconsciousness) the goblins weren't doing much better, only being able to muster 8 players on the pitch. The Presidents coach gave a rambling and faintly odd speech about telling lies and four score years and new deals, but it had an electrifying effect on the Halflings who took to the field with renewed vigour and yet another re-roll. Indeed, for one president in particular what followed was to be a defining moment.

The new drive began inauspiciously for the Presidents. Ford stunned Warren Buffet but took root in the process. Reagan made the pick up and hand off to Obama, but Jackson fumbled the throw causing the ball to bounce back into Reagan's hands, much to his own surprise. With goblins closing in on them the Presidents made another attempt to break out, but this time Jackson's throw was too good, sending Obama just out of reach of a hand-off from Reagan. Perhaps it was this incompetence that fired his spirit, perhaps not, but from this moment on Itsy Bitsy Ronnie Reagan was a tiny president on a mission.

Sprinting down field with scarcely a second thought for his own safety he shrugged off a blitz from Mother Theresa. Surrounded by two trolls and three goblins hope for Reagan's long term health were fading, but this was a president of iron, a president not afraid to take the chance, and above all a president determined to strike a blow for the American way. His hour had come: dodging away from Mother Theresa he sailed past Michael Bloomberg and skipped by Christina Aguilera as if she wasn't there. Still tantalising just outside the end zone Ronnie just wouldn't stop: he passed the first go for it, and without hesitation went for the second.

He made it. The crowd goes wild: what a tiny, tiny hero. 1-1 with two turns each to play, could either team score the final winner?

A shallow kick from the presidents left the ball next to Shakira in the wide zone. Trying to cage up Bloomberg and Addams moved towards the ball while Buffet made the pick up. Foolishly the Aga Kahn was too busy retelling the story of his famous touchdown and he dropped the handoff, before being squarely punched in the face and badly hurt by a still-hyper Ronnie Reagan. The Halflings descended on the ball but couldn't break through the mass of goblins, despite Johnson KO'ing the peculiarly victimised Christina Aguilera. In one final attempt to score William Allen and Jane Addams blitzed Obama away from the ball, allowing Bloomberg to sweep in and hand it off to Warren Buffet, but once again Shakira's aim proved somewhat lacking: this time she fumbled the throw altogether and KO'd the famous investor. The Presidents couldn't capitalise on this mistake however – despite some cunning blocking in the end Reagan was buzzing too much to make the pick-up, leaving it 1-1 at full time.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/NieAUnder7/2-all.jpg

A truly epic match, its general tone perhaps best illustrated by the fact that despite having a massive 12 re-rolls to use most of the President's moves still ended in turnovers. MVP for The Philanthropists was, of course, the Aga Kahn, while Midget Nixon was posthumously nominated for the Presidents thanks to his services to both honesty and nimbleness (the vote was in no way a whitewash). What better way to highlight some other factors than with a few play charts?

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/NieAUnder7/Injuriescopy.png

President Weasel
03-12-2011, 01:38 AM
The Philanthropists vs. Tiny Little Presidents

a faint cry of "YOU HAVE DODGE AND STUNTY YOU STUPID LITTLE MAN" was heard from the President's dugout

This is precisely what I cried. I was furious.
I was even more furious when I found out that the hopeless dead imbecile Micronixon stole the MVP. What a crook!

Excellent match report! The charts are very informative :)

ntw
03-12-2011, 02:01 AM
/applause

great stuff

Screwie
03-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Superb match report :)

Tom OBedlam
03-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Oh my, that was glorious :)

NieA7
03-12-2011, 12:01 PM
This is precisely what I cried. I was furious.

I think the reason it stayed with me was how heartfelt it sounded. I must admit I started giggling when the first bomb I threw got chucked back and blew up my own guys, I laughed out loud when that dodge failed and by the time the goblin was chucked into the crowd and died I was laughing so hard my wife couldn't hear the phone conversation she was trying to have. From that point on I gave up trying to play this as a normal game: I was still trying to win as much as I could, I was just trying to win in as goblin-ey way as possible. Totally worth it.

President Weasel
03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I think the reason it stayed with me was how heartfelt it sounded. I must admit I started giggling when the first bomb I threw got chucked back and blew up my own guys, I laughed out loud when that dodge failed and by the time the goblin was chucked into the crowd and died I was laughing so hard my wife couldn't hear the phone conversation she was trying to have. From that point on I gave up trying to play this as a normal game: I was still trying to win as much as I could, I was just trying to win in as goblin-ey way as possible. Totally worth it.

I was so scared of that chainsaw looney coming on (as you know, the chainsaw is the tree's only natural enemy) and then I was laughing my head off when he stunned himself in his first move (and chuckling evilly when we fouled him off the pitch). It was an excellent game.

ntw
03-12-2011, 02:51 PM
See! This is how BB is supposed to be played :)

Screwie
03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Okay, I've validated all matches and rolled on to Day 2!

Day 2 ends the evening of Tuesday Dec 13th.

drawlien
03-12-2011, 08:12 PM
ntw when do you want to play?

I can currently do Tuesday to Thursday evenings starting between 7.30 and 8.30pm. If none of them are suitable I might manage sometime over next weekend.

ntw
03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
ntw when do you want to play?

I can currently do Tuesday to Thursday evenings starting between 7.30 and 8.30pm. If none of them are suitable I might manage sometime over next weekend.

Tuesday to Thursday is bad for me this week, Weekend would probably be better.

Kelron
03-12-2011, 10:22 PM
DarkFenix - When do you wish to face the wrath of the goblins? I'm here all day Wednesday, or any evening except tuesday.

groovychainsaw
04-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Vexing vision - when's good for you to play this week? I've sent you a steam invite. I'm around most days, evenings are getting booked up fast (i'm in too many blood bowl events - if there is such a thing..), monday and weds evening are already out for me...

drawlien
04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Tuesday to Thursday is bad for me this week, Weekend would probably be better.

Saturday afternoon/evening?

Vexing Vision
04-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Vexing vision - when's good for you to play this week? I've sent you a steam invite. I'm around most days, evenings are getting booked up fast (i'm in too many blood bowl events - if there is such a thing..), monday and weds evening are already out for me...

Ah, was busy with annihilating alh_p today in the Divisions.

I'm out on Tuesday and Wednesday, so that leaves us Thursday. Would 9pm GMT working for you, as an initial suggestion?

ntw
05-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Saturday afternoon/evening?

9pm Saturday doable?

DarkFenix
05-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Put Wednesday evening down as a probable Kelron, I'm completely inundated with work at the moment so it's a bit 50/50.

LowKey
05-12-2011, 09:24 AM
NieA7 I am free all evenings this week except Wednesday to play our game, tonight would be best for me but whatever is more convenient for you should be grand

Indefatigible Snoozer
05-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Schizo - I am available after 9pm GMT either Wednesday or Thursday this week (although the same offer is open to my DoD opponent, so first in gets their choice). Weekend is not doable, but I could also do Monday or Tuesday next week, same time.

Schizoslayer
05-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Schizo - I am available after 9pm GMT either Wednesday or Thursday this week (although the same offer is open to my DoD opponent, so first in gets their choice). Weekend is not doable, but I could also do Monday or Tuesday next week, same time.

Wednesday should be fine.

drawlien
05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
9pm Saturday doable?

It's a bit later than I would prefer but I can do that time.

NieA7
05-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry LowKey, didn't have the time tonight. Thursday around 8:00 would be best for me, but I can make Friday and Saturday evening, or pretty much any time Sunday.

Kelron
05-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Put Wednesday evening down as a probable Kelron, I'm completely inundated with work at the moment so it's a bit 50/50.

I've added you on Steam if you want to PM me whenever you're free. Wednesday evening I won't be around until 8ish.

Screwie
06-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Groovy - as requested, you're now an admin for the tournament. You also levelled an ogre. Fingers crossed for a double!

LowKey
06-12-2011, 08:49 AM
yeah Thursday is cool, see you then

Vexing Vision
06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Yesterday's match saw my Ogre-slaying Shortstuff Stumblers against groovychainsaw's Goblinslaying Ogreladies from the Sunny Day Snotling Creche.

Fouls, chainsaws, deaths and flying Goblins and Snotlings galore. The game saw the ball rest a few turns unattended on either Touchdown zone at some point. That the game ended 2-0 to the Stumblers was more by accident than any player-related skill, and both teams are severely decimated. Groovy's next match will see the Snotling Creche at only half-ogre-strength, and my secret weapon team will have to somehow survive more than one drive.

Screwie
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
VV, how on earth did you manage to injure two of GC's ogres? I'm asking for a friend who's playing ogres next, honest.

Vexing Vision
06-12-2011, 11:37 AM
The Goblin-way. I outsmarted them until it hurt.

Indefatigible Snoozer
06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Wednesday should be fine.

Schizo - I'm actually off sick today, so could play this evening starting either between 4-6 GMT or from 9pm GMT onwards.

Tom OBedlam
06-12-2011, 04:42 PM
VV, how on earth did you manage to injure two of GC's ogres? I'm asking for a friend who's playing ogres next, honest.

My ears are burning...

Jiiiiim
06-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Butterfield Diet Plan (Halflings, Jim) v Gromm's Gitz (Goblin, Gorm)

The first half was marred by pouring rain turning the entire pitch into a swampy morass. The halflings adapted surprisingly well, surfing across the ground on converted pie tins, knocking four goblin off the pitch in the first five turns.

It was around about now that we realised that, rather than halflings, we have brought tiny obese elves instead. While Gorm's team ran about concussing themselves, falling over legs, chainsawing their own groins, swinging maces into their own heads, eating goblins and so forth, the Butterfield team were a model of gracefulness. With the exception of the treemen who spent pretty much the entire game either on the floor or rooted to the spot.

Taking a 1-0 lead before half-time and watching all the dangerous goblins leave the pitch, and the weather clearing up, the halflings decided to stretch their wings a little. Two touchdowns followed, each involving an end-to-end handoff, pass, catch and waddle. I hope they keep this up.

3-0 full-time score.

groovychainsaw
06-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Yup, me and VV had an smashing (geddit!) encounter last night, with me getting one of the worst starts I've had in blood bowl for a long while.

So, I'll see what I can remember, I line up all 4 ogres on the line, all the snots a way back and kick off. VV uses his chainsaw and, after a moment where it looked like he was going to chainsaw himself (rerolled), Teacher Isobel from the creche goes down with a pinched nerve (from a chainsaw? Should be severed, surely?). I instantly regret buying spare snotlings instead of an apothecary.

VV picks up the bal and heads downfield. Both trolls stupid out. I badly hurt the goblin on the line, then Betsy, the creche's music teacher, runs over to the chainsaw for a revenge hit and scores a KO. No more chainsawing, thankyouverymuch. Unfortunately the Matron, Bernice, then rolls skull against an ogre and the game is swiftly back to VV. Bernice will be stuck there until her ignominious dismissal.

A turn or two goes by, we exchange some hits, 2 snotlings go off (1 MNG), Jemima the Dinnerlady gets Ko'd by the horribly accurate fanatic (who basically hit one of my players every other move for most of the half, even when there was only one player to hit), Bernice gets stamped on repeatedly. A block on Betsy, the music teacher (after she boneheaded out) leaves her KO'd, swiftly followed by Bernice, when she stands up, finally getting injured (at one point, a foul with 6 assists had failed!), as a troll takes a swipe and fractures her arm, leaving her out for the next game. So I have no ogres and a handful of snotlings. Its about turn 6 and my game is torn apart, really. The touchdown comes shortly afterward for VV. One ogre comes back. I try to keep in the game with a classic snotling throw, which is looking good, having scattered long towards the sideline, only to get a pair of 3's, a casualty and a death. VV has a go at a thrown TD himself, but his troll stupids out again (they did this a lot in both halves, really, when they weren't killing my ogres).

Second half, my other ogre fails to come back from KO. The kick goes short, I cage up with my snots and try to pick up with Jemima. Whic hdouble 1's, and a snot fails the pick, too. Some bashing occurs, VV gets the ball, breaks for it, and we end up with hilarious situation where I knock down his breakaway runner with Jemima, the ball scatters into my endzone. My only plan now, with fewer players, is to shield the ball there, hoping that VV fails the pick and it gets thrown somewhere useful. If I fail the pick, VV had too many players free to make it work for me. So i spend 2-3 turns bashing his goblins for all I'm worth, hitting any who come close to the ball with Jemima and bashing where I can with the snots. This also makes the trolls less reliable due to their lack of goblin counterparts. It nearly works, but VV finally gets a dodge in and makes the pick to score. 2-0, turn 13. His team at kickoff now has less players than mine, but my other ogre still does not return. I actually manage to tie up his remaining 5 players fairly well for a short while, making a break with a snot for the line in turn 15, but a dodge and successful hit sees my snot go down and the ball thrown into VV's endzone. It's all over. I bash for all I'm worth, but I've done all i can. 2-0 to Vexing Vision.

So, lots of stunty-type play in there.
Big guys having tissue paper armour? Check
Stunty being thrown and killed? Check
Numerous 'stupid' players at the worst possible moment? Check
Some crazy dodges? Check

Losing 2 ogres straight away pretty much ruined my plans, forcing me to play with snotlings more, which is HARD. Having only snotlings at turn 6 was worse. I tried to imagine a play that might work on turn 6 if neither ogre returned from KO, but I didn't come up with anything. I'm glad 1 ogrecame back for the throw-to-death!
Consolation prizes:
1. Drawlien isn't going to be able to afford a chef against my team now, as mine is about the same value as his (lost 300 points!).
2. Jemima, being the only ogre on the pitch for more than half the game, scored most casualties and has levelled. I'm hoping break tackle makes her a useful halfling-killer in my next game, and gets her away from those menacing trees ;-).

Conclusion: Maybe I should have bought an apothecary?

ntw
07-12-2011, 10:30 PM
It's a bit later than I would prefer but I can do that time.

I'll be on as early as I can, but definitely by 9.

DarkFenix
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Now THAT was a stunty game, ie. a bloodbath. My match with Kelron ended 2-1 to me, the game being summed up in a single number. 6 - the number I seemed to roll on any dice that mattered.

Match casualties: 3 dead snotlings (only 1 injured by opposition), 1 injured snotling, 1 dead pogoer, 1 injured troll (apoth'ed), 3 injured goblins.

So, Kelron wins the opening drive and begins the match badly; 3d blocks are turning up nothing but push results on my scrimmage snotlings, then his risky 5SPP goblin's pass fails. My turn also sets the pattern for the rest of the game, that is to say almost perfect rolls across the board. I bludgeon a hole through the lines and manage to get a snotling on the ball (well, a fumble followed by the adjoining snotling rolling a 6). In spite of Kelron's best subsequent efforts I managed to push the snotling steadily upfield, goblin dodges and blocks just not panning out at all. The first proper casualty is scored, a troll killing a snotling, the second casualty swiftly follows, this time an ogre sending a snotling to an acrobatic demise. Still, the goblins don't have it all their way, one going off injured and another unconscious. I score mid-way through the half, 1-0 ogres.

Second drive for Kelron and it goes a little better, his first block by a troll sends a snotling off injured and the 5SPP goblin completes its pass this time. The pogoer makes its way into a tight cage of gobbos and trolls and they start moving forwards. But hey, tight cage just reads like "snotling target" to me and another snotling promptly fails to land properly amid the enemy. Second time's the charm though, next turn another thrown snotling nails a goblin perfectly. One dead snotling, one injured gobbo. Regardless, the cage is open as a result and an ogre manages to get into contact with the ball carrier, only getting a push from the blitz, but allowing snotlings to start hugging. Snotlings unfortunately don't make the best road blocks and they get shoved away time and time again, but then '6' comes into play again. The only opening I can get is for an ogre to make a dodge and blitz the carrier, which he promptly does having rolled a 6. Free ball, neither side has much in the way of handling skills, stalemate, half ends.

At this point I'm rather short on snotlings. In fact I have four left, but it's my half. Again blocks and bone-head rolls go smoothly, as do pickup rolls. But I need something stronger than St1 holding the ball, so, ogre catch! 6! Shortly into this drive I managed to injure a troll and basically remove any real chance a goblin team has of taking the ball from an st5 player, ogres being remarkably quick too. I steadily move up the pitch, bone-head rolls still behaving absurdly well as the remaining troll fails two RS rolls in a row, wasting two blitzes. My ogre runs in a turn 15 touchdown. 2-0 ogres.

Last couple of turns, two snotlings left on the field with three ogres, the other side being two trolls and three gobbos (though one troll bugged, vanished then got auto-placed). It started badly for Kelron, an early fumbled TTM costing him his penultimate turn, but then some supreme luck (and my tendency throughout the game to take a BD result when it's an ogre bashing a gobbo) let him, on turn 16, make a 1TZ pickup with a gobbo, handoff to another gobbo next to the troll, successfully throw the gobbo just about within TD range, then score off 2 GFI's.

Good game Kelron, most entertaining match I've ever had on BB, I look forward to our next game in the very near future.

Kelron
07-12-2011, 11:01 PM
In the interests of maintaining the good reputation of DarkFenix's team, I'd like a full investigation into these rumours of drug use. While I'm sure there is no truth to them, the fans need to know the league is not corrupt.

President Weasel
08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Tiny Little President Running Casualty report, stardate 8th December 2011

George Washingtiny: dropped by a tree instead of thrown, landed poorly, badly hurt (he'll be back)

Game 2:

George Washingtiny(again); MicroLincoln; John Quincy Incy Wincy Adams (again): all badly hurt.
Theadorable Roosevelt: Miss next game. No serious injuries, and a record low of zero deaths.

Running total:
Deaths: 1
Forcibly retired due to stat injury: 1
Miss Next Game: 1
Badly Hurt: 5

Match 2 was between the Tiny Little Presidents and Wolfenswan's Ogre team, 'Smash, Stomp and Serve Cold'

There was a 310K TV gap between the teams, enabling me to hire Deeproot Strongbranch, terrifying tree bastard for 300K. I didn't bother with the chef.
Once again most of my injuries were self inflicted - an ogre badly hurt a halfling in the second half, but the other 3 were due to a badly failed dodge and, iirc, very poor landings. Unlike the previous match, however, the halflings caused some injuries to the other team - maybe they were in a hurtin' mood because I hadn't hired the chef.

I spent much of the first half throwing halflings in the general direction of ogre and snotling cages while my trees bullied the ogres. Then Wolfenswan made a cage with a serious flaw. The ball carrying snotling was against the edge of the pitch and completely surrounded by snotlings and one ogre - this left him nowhere to sidestep to when my tree blitzed the ogre onto his head. The snotling bounced off the pitch, KO'd, and after some further scuffles I managed to get the ball and run up the pitch for a defensive touchdown.

In the second half, the reverse almost happened. I did one of those throw team mates where the team mate just ends up where he started. This was a problem, as there was a downed ogre next to him who proceeded to knock the ball loose next turn. Instead of surrounding the ball I opted to gang foul and badly hurt the ogre, but one of Wolfenswan's snotlings sneakily nicked the ball and ran away. I chased him with a halfling (my trees were miles from the action by now), knocked him down, another snotling grabbed the ball and ran even closer to my touchline, I managed another pow with a two dice block, and then the final couple of turns were my halfing, deep in my own half, frantically trying to keep away from a pack of chasing ogres.

It ended up 1-0 to me.

Special mentions this week to:

Little Barack Obama - 2 injuries and a (half)Man of the Match award, and he now has +1 move.
Itsy Bitsy Ronnie Reagan - a touchdown and an injury for the diminuitive cowboy actor, for the second game in a row! He's quickly developing into the star player on this team. Ronnie managed to roll a double 3 on his level up dice, and despite a really strong temptation to make him the only halfling in history with mighty blow he got a nice conservative block.

drawlien
10-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Just played ntw's gobbo's with my 'flings.

Highlight of the match: Bombardier throws a bomb -> caught by tree who throws it back -> caught by chainsaw gobbo who throws it back -> caught by halfling who throws it back -> repeat previous 2 steps several times -> bomb finally falls due to chainsaw dude fumbling it into a group of flings on the opposite side of the pitch to those he was aiming at. Anticlimactically, minimal damage is caused.

I managed to score right at the end of the game, having messed up a good chance of scoring in the first half by blitzing with the ball-carrier and inevitably getting a BD-AD result. Pleasingly both sides got rather beaten up but neither suffered many long term injuries. I had a +Agi potion and a +Str potion both of which worked and proved very useful (+Agi more than +Str)!

Thanks for the game ntw, see you for the second round in a few weeks time.

Screwie
10-12-2011, 11:54 PM
So it is just my and Tom left to play this week >.>

Hopefully we will have our match tomorrow as planned.

Screwie
11-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Tom and I just had our match, in which he beat me 1-0 (and nearly made it 2-0).

My team was light on grotpower due to injuries but my goblins were mainly undone by a combination of Tom's skillful marking and my goblins' chronic dodge roll failures. A cocky mistake near the start of the match cost me the early lead, and at the end of the match Tom made a cocky mistake of his own which cost him a second TD... so that's how the feel of the match changed over the course of 16 turns!

Anyway, Day 2 is all validated and I rolled on to Day 3. Provisionally, the deadline for Day 3 is Boxing Day (15 days away) - although if we get the games done in short order then I'll revise the timetable again.

President Weasel
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Lowkey: when?
(Not Friday)

Jiiiiim
11-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey Screwie. CARE TO MATCH SWORDS ALSO WITS?

LowKey
11-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Friday please! Any evening this week is fine really, even tonight if you fancy it pal

President Weasel
11-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Aye, why not. Let's do this thing about 7 this evening.

LowKey
11-12-2011, 03:06 PM
grand see you then

NieA7
11-12-2011, 04:51 PM
My game against LowKey last week was good fun, marked out by three noteworthy performances:

Alfred Nobel (Bombardier): Managed to throw two bombs, one of which blew himself up (again), the other of which scattered at 90 degrees from where it should've gone and KO'd one of my trolls. I have serious doubts as to his loyalties.

Bono (Loony): Actually worked out which of of his chainsaw was the one to point away from himself this time. Managed to stun a tree before being fouled out of the game.

Walt Disney (Pogoer): I thought that pogoer's counted as secret weapons so I'd not bothered to get one before. Turns out I was wrong, they are totally legitimate and in no way unfair. Walt had an awe inspiring game: he scored The Philanthropists first touchdown after leaping out of a halfling cage made of at least half their team, then badly hurt the ball carrier on the defense before badly hurting another 'fling threatening to score (both on both down's oddly enough). Badly hurt out of the match by a vengeful treeman in the second half.

2-0 to the gobbo's at the end, in a game that seemed to imply they're beginning to work out that they're actually playing Blood Bowl, albeit with no indication they realize what that means.

Shakira the troll got the MVP and leveled up, I rolled a 10 (no double) and now I'm not sure what to give her. If this were a non-stunty team I'd go for guard, as it is stunty break tackle or grab sound like good bets, but the extra move could be handy in some circumstances too. On the other hand the trolls don't move much anyway, so a skill feels a better idea despite it being sad to skip a stat increase. Any suggestions?

Wolfenswan - when do you want to play our match? I'm free most evenings from 8:00ish on, apart from Wednesday and Friday.

Jiiiiim
11-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Butterfield Diet (Jim, halflings) vs Bully Culprits (Screwie, goblins)
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3050/butterfield2.jpg

drawlien
11-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Groovy, when do you want to play our game? I can probably do Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday or Saturday evenings starting between 7.30 - 8.30pm.

If you can't do any of those I will have to get back to you about the following week's availability as I'm not quite sure when I will be free at the moment.

President Weasel
11-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Tiny Little President Running Casualty report, stardate 12th December 2011

Game 2:

George Washingtiny(again); MicroLincoln; John Quincy Incy Wincy Adams (again): all badly hurt.
Theadorable Roosevelt: Miss next game. No serious injuries, and a record low of zero deaths.

Game 3:

James Madison Badly Hurt
Polo Twintoes (random loner), dropped on his head, Badly Hurt
Ronnie Reagan Badly Hurt
William Henry Halfpint Harrison Dead (he got better)
Microlincoln: Badly Hurt
George Washingtiny: dropped on his head, Badly Hurt

Running total:
Deaths: 2 (one didn't stick)
Forcibly retired due to stat injury: 1
Miss Next Game: 1
Badly Hurt: 10

Match 3 was between the Tiny Little Presidents and the Small Damn Heroes

Lowkey's Small Damn Heroes had taken the 'cheap team, many incentives' plan to new heights (or lowths?): their team value was approximately seventeen. I added team funds to the pot to enable me to buy the chef, but this turned out to be fairly pointless as Lowkey only had the one reroll to steal, while I had three and lost most of them every kickoff.

I got the best of the luck in the first quarter of the match, getting a halfling with the ball to within two squares of the touchline. Sadly my luck went wrong from then on, with the go for it I took in order to put him completely out of Lowkey's range failing and leaving my ball carrier stunned. That was one dice roll away from being Ronnie Reagan's thrid touchdown in as many games.

After considerable inept but heartfelt fighting between the trickle of halflings we could each get near the ball I tried pushing Lowkey's halfling with the ball right over his end of the pitch in the belief that this might count as a touchdown. It doesn't.

In the second half of the second half my injury dice turned to crap, and my one decent attempt to get the ball (2 dice, rerolled, with a halfling who had block) came to nothing. I ran out of little mans (after my last despairing one-dice left my halfling DEAD, rerolled to BH) and Lowkey walked it in.

A last minute attempt at an equaliser ended with George Washingtiny, carrying the ball, picked up by my treeman. His branch drew back for the throw... and George fell on his head and was carried off the pitch badly hurt.

A quick survey of the injury pens showed the Small Damn Heroes with zero injuries, and the Presidents with 5 badly hurt and a deader who got better.
George Washingtiny is clearly an injury magnet (maybe it's due to his wooden teeth?). He has been badly hurt in all three games so far.
Ronnie Reagan is still a hero, he'd have got me a touchdown today if I hadn't asked him to go for it with no reroll left.

LowKey
11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
not much to add except you tree man who decided to lie down for about 4 consecutive turns, to much amusement from my lads

Indefatigible Snoozer
12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Schizo. we're playing...again. When would you like to do so?

ntw
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Vex, you and me baby. One night this week maybe?

Vexing Vision
12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Vex, you and me baby. One night this week maybe?

Oh, you know how much I want you. Bleeding and dying all over your Touchdown line.

I'll either have a headache tonight or tomorrow. I don't know yet. You're your available self on either day?

ntw
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Heh, I thought it was your turn to be the submissive one?

I *should* be available tonight or tomorrow, if I am then I'll be on steam. Most likely from sometime after 8pm UK.

Vexing Vision
12-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Heh, I thought it was your turn to be the submissive one?

I *should* be available tonight or tomorrow, if I am then I'll be on steam. Most likely from sometime after 8pm UK.

Dearest ntw,

As I can barely contain my passion and desire for our upcoming meeting, I will make myself entirely available to you tonight. Just Steam-shout at me at some point. I will attempt my very best to notice you.

ntw
13-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Dearest ntw,

As I can barely contain my passion and desire for our upcoming meeting, I will make myself entirely available to you tonight. Just Steam-shout at me at some point. I will attempt my very best to notice you.

Crappity-crap-crap. I've just remembered (after organising to meet you tonight for BDSM and BloodBowl) that I'm probably out all evening, are you going to be around later in the week at all?

Vexing Vision
13-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Good Nuffling, you really ARE playing hard to get, eh?

I don't know about the rest of my week. I have a biz-meeting, a biz-office-party, a biz-drinking and a roleplaying-group to organize this week - which theoretically leaves me with one spare day, but I don't know when that'll be. Definitely not Saturday or Friday.

ntw
13-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Well I've just checked and we've got almost 2 weeks before the deadline so I'm sure we'll be able to fit it in, Sunday evening and Monday evening are looking particularly good at the moment - book early to avoid disappointment! :)

Vexing Vision
13-12-2011, 12:22 PM
That's what you said last night.

:P I'll see if I'm around on Sunday then.

Indefatigible Snoozer
13-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Good rematch with Schizo last night, with Da Smarterest Teem achieving its first victory. It was a classic stunty game, with failed dodges accounting for most of the 'fling injuries, Ogres going stupid while lying down, my first thrown-snotling victim (snotling was ko'd, the fling merely knocked down). It was a much bashier affair this time around, with the trees finally getting to grips with my two Ogres.

I chose to kick - not sure why, I thought maybe to inflict some injuries as the halflings made their way down the pitch. Anyway, a scrum developed, but a fling was able to fight free and score around turn 8.

Receiving in the second half, I decided to pick up the ball with my Ogre, which surprised Mr Schizo since I'd previously stuck with snots as ball handlers. My other Ogre occupied one treeman on the other side of the pitch by cleverly getting injured, while my ball carrying ogre ran up the other sideline with a screen of snots. I managed to sneak past, and then outpace, the other treeman, and blitz free of the gang of halfings that attempted to swarm my snot cage. Highlight of this period was the attempt at what would have been a 2D-against blitz by one brave halfling - only to have him fail his dodge roll and KO himself before he even got the chance.

I scored on turn 4 or 5, so the flings had fourish turns to win the game.

The kick went deep, and was picked up and put into an impenetrable halfling cage.

Enter my elite squad of commando snots. Operating deep behind enemy lines, four snots (one having been parachuted in (without a parachute)) advanced on the cage, and managed a 2D blitz against one of the corners of the cage. This allowed one brave (or possibly brain damaged) snotling to sit himself next to the ball carrier, surrounded on three sides. The next turn comes, three blocks, no knock down, each time the snotling side-steps to stay next to the ball carrier. Next turn the ballcarrier is brought down by my snotling, and bounces free. A melee ensues, but turn 16 sees the ball on the ground without any halfling tackle zones on it, and a snotling manages to pick it up and scurry over the TD line. 2-1.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding snotlings to be a bit more useful than they probably are against normal teams. With no block or tackle on the other teams, its difficult to bring them down, and side-step makes them a huge pain if you don't bring them down. Also, the lack of modifier in their tackle zone is largely irrelevant, since other stunties ignore the penalty for tackle zones anyway. Anyone else finding them usefuller/more painfuller to play against than they thought?

Tom OBedlam
13-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Point of order!

Goblins are not allowed to bring Rokk Chukkas, Dive Bommas or any other kind of siege weaponry into the arena. During a kick off event Gorm's gobbos managed to kill an ogre with a thrown rock so completely that even the apothecary couldn't save him. I smell a rat...

The game ended 2-2 and, in the finest stunty traditions, was home to some hugely audacious plays. My special mention goes to that swine on the pogo stick who got behind my lines on a blitz kick off event, caught the ball and them disappeared into the endzone before I had any idea what was happening.
I caught quite a lot of luck throughout the game and somehow managed to play an ogre team like elves: one TD came from a long range snotling pass into the waiting arms of another snot who managed to avoid the gobbo that had been trying to run him down. The other came from a long pass from my EZ to midfield, midfield runs to an ogre for a dump off, the ogre stares blankly at the ball for a while, mercifully avoiding being knocked down, until eventually staggering over the line for a TD.

good game Gorm, with any luck my ogres won't forget what you did to their friend

Screwie
13-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Point of order!

Goblins are not allowed to bring Rokk Chukkas, Dive Bommas or any other kind of siege weaponry into the arena. During a kick off event Gorm's gobbos managed to kill an ogre with a thrown rock so completely that even the apothecary couldn't save him. I smell a rat...

Oof, that's an expensive rock.

Gorm
13-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I for one encourage my fans to bring doom divers to all our games

Schizoslayer
13-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Snotlings are so far the most annoying thing in the game. More annoying than Dorfs. It's almost not worth trying to mark them because they dodge everywhere on a 2+ with a reroll. Also bloody side step.

Gorm
13-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I'd say its worth marking them if you dont need that player somewhere else. Its unlikely they will fail, but the more times the opponent rolls the dice the more times he might fail.

imirk
13-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Snotlings are so far the most annoying thing in the game. More annoying than Dorfs. It's almost not worth trying to mark them because they dodge everywhere on a 2+ with a reroll. Also bloody side step.

dorfs don't deserve capitalization...
and sidestep is so easy to forget I just fear the ag4 snotling.

President Weasel
13-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Mark up the snotlings. An ogre may screw up before your opponent can dodge them all away, or a snot could try to pick the ball up or something, and hand you a turnover. Then you get to SMASH THEM.
Also they have about 3 armours and they are stunty. If they fail a dodge they'll probably die, so make them dodge a lot.

Schizoslayer
13-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Oh I'll continue to mark snotlings on the slight chance I get a chance to punch one but that doesn't make it any less annoying when you mark them and they dodge right past you into your own half.

I wish my High Elves made that many 2+ rolls in a row...

groovychainsaw
13-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Hi Drawlien, I'm incredibly busy this week (new job! yey), but I might be able to do something sunday night, if thats an option?

Tom OBedlam
13-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Bugger... Blood bowl crashed as I clicked the roll to level up button when i logged back on I discovered the game has assigned me a +1 AV on an Ogre. What? What a waste :(

drawlien
14-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Drawlien, I'm incredibly busy this week (new job! yey), but I might be able to do something sunday night, if thats an option?

Not really. Any time next week good? I could do before my Open game on Monday (I think 9pm start), Thursday from early afternoon or Friday any time.

groovychainsaw
14-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Hmmm - thursday/friday next week look good to me, should be fairly free, can i catch you on steam on either of those days?. Friday afternoon is very good, but thurs afternoon might work out ok...

drawlien
14-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Hmmm - thursday/friday next week look good to me, should be fairly free, can i catch you on steam on either of those days?. Friday afternoon is very good, but thurs afternoon might work out ok...

Yeah, that will be fine - these stunty games are tending to be quite quick to play so if I'm around on Steam we should be able to get a match in. See you next thursday/friday!

NieA7
16-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Wolfenswan, I yearn for more stunty-based glory/disaster, let's make it happen! I'm on leave from this afternoon so pretty much any time you want should be fine.

Vexing Vision
19-12-2011, 10:07 AM
So, last night's match between my Short Goblins vs ntw's Friendly Goblins was fraught by coaching mistakes on both sides, flying Goblins and dwarf-like dodges. Highlights of the game:

- A kick-in by me, turnover on the first block for ntw, and I throw a Goblin near the ball, who then grabs it and scores a 1-turn Touchdown.
- Attempting the same for a second time, my Goblin kills itself on the second GFI. The apothecary suggests curing him by sawing of an arm (which would have reduced his strength to Snotling). That advice was not taken.
- ntw tries his hand at Goblin-throwing, fails to get close enough, curses and then - thanks to me being too helpful and pointing it out - notices that all he needs is a hand-off, a dodge and a GFI to score. Which works out just as advertised.
- At turn 16, I forget to Blitz before Blocking with the ball-carrier, thus stopping two spaces from the TD line, thereby failing to take a 3-2 lead, instead resulting in a 2-2.

Overall, a match that was not as well played as it could have been. Then again, Goblins.

ntw
19-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Cheers for the match Vex, very sporting of you to point out that goblin opportunity which I was too busy ranting about my terrible luck last night to notice. I probably would have noticed eventually, but I salute you for mentioning it. I'm afraid I can't feel guilty for stealing a 2-2 draw though - after both my teams performances last night I'm taking every tiny silver lining I can get...

Vexing Vision
19-12-2011, 02:33 PM
...very sporting of you...

No need to call me names!

Also, I will crush and destroy you with glee the next time we meet on the battlefield, without moral repercussion. To take revenge on you making me play poorly - like in every good dysfunctional relationship, it is crystal clear that the fault lies with YOU.

Kelron
20-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I took my revenge on DarkFenix with a 1-0 victory. I succeeded just about every roll except my armour rolls, with the majority of my team and both trolls spending half the match in the KO or injury box (I think 1 KO recovered out of 5 or 6). DarkFenix on the other hand continually failed crucial rolls, but managed to keep all 4 ogres and a number of snotlings on the pitch.

This conspired to make it incredibly difficult for either of us to use anything resembling tactics, but I managed to use the relative speed and strength of my goblins (compared to snotlings) and a not inconsiderable amount of luck to get the ball into the endzone on turn 13. DarkFenix received a touchback on kickoff, gave the ball to an ogre and promptly failed all 4 bonehead rolls, destroying any chance of an equaliser.

President Weasel
20-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Is it next week for this thing yet?
Also how ridiculously overcomplicated is this competition? I thought I was signing up for a simple knockout competition! Harrumph! :)

Kelron
21-12-2011, 12:29 AM
According to the spreadsheet we are still waiting for:

NieA7 vs Wolfenswan
Drawlien vs Groovychainsaw

Screwie
21-12-2011, 12:42 AM
The deadline for this week is officially Boxing Day, although its likely we'll be on Day 4 before then.

Also, what is so complicated? It's only a league! A knockout tourney would have been no fun at all with the inherent randomness in each of the stunty teams. :P

NieA7
21-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Wolfenswan and I are playing tomorrow, although he mentioned he was thinking of dropping out after that as he's not really enjoying playing ogres.

Screwie
21-12-2011, 10:25 AM
That's a real shame, although some drop-outs were expected.

If we can find a replacement player, that would be awesome. More preferable to simply giving the other teams byes (and double MVPs) in the remaining 3 games, I think.

(If there's anyone interested, then please apply below. You don't necessarily have to bring an ogre team!)

Wolfenswan
22-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah I decided to drop out as I really am not enjoying Ogres. I wouldn't mind playing for a laugh but watching throws being failed left and right while the snotlings are being steamrolled is just being plain boring.

Screwie
22-12-2011, 12:36 PM
No worries Wolfenswan. I know where you're coming from, I can't stand using ogres myself.

Do you enjoy playing goblins/halflings more? What I'm asking is, if a brand new volunteer is not forthcoming, would you be interested in re-joining the tournament with a fresh team?

Screwie
22-12-2011, 08:49 PM
All matches for Day 3 have been validated and the day has been advanced!

The deadline for this one is provisionally mid-January. Depending on how the incoming holiday works out that may move up a bit.

groovychainsaw
23-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Me and vexing just played! Aren't we keen!. And once again, his goblins battered my ogres. Up until the last turn, there were 3 injured ogres and no snotlings, thats how biased nuffle was feeling against my ogres. Chaos ensued in the first half, with Vexing receiving, battering his way down the pitch. A swift takedown of his chainsaw by his own fanatic prevented too much damage. His fanatic (with +1MA! that's illegal, surely?) was proving shockingly accurate AGAIN with his ball and chain, causing me no end of problems. Eventually though, I bring down the goblin ball carrier, and some sneaky dodges get my snots on the ball. A couple of hits back sends the ball offpitch, and,after the crowd throw it around a few times, comes back on in VV's half. The fanatic keeps hitting my ogre, and finally scores a badly hurt. I run off to the ball, and turn 8, go for a pick up and hand off to a snot for throw, but the pick fails. Oh well...

2nd half sees the weapons mostly go off, but the bombardier comes on. A rock thrown at kick off damages the back of one of my ogres :(. The bombardier proves to be amazingly good at his job, throwing 3 perfect launches in as many turns, ruining my running ogre play by stunning the ogre for 2 turns, whilst the other one holds the line for a short while until he is also injured after a 'both down' choice against a goblin backfires, leaving the goblin fine but sending him off badly hurt. One ogre left, it gets harder to keep the ball. A snotling picks it up, i try to rumble upfield. The bombardier finally fumbles and injures himself. I decide my snotling cage probably isnt tough enough to protect a snotling ball carrier, and go for the throw, roll a 1, reroll, nails it, sticks the landing and runs in with 3 turns left. Enough time? On kickoff, i try to be a nuisance, but VV is running down my right flank and I only have a handful of snotlings and one ogre left. It came down to my ogre needing to make a hit on the ball carrier, but he fialed his break tackle roll, which let VV dodge away to score, turn 16. Bugger.

I dont know what it is about Vexing's goblins, but they've got it in for my ogres. I've only played one game this seasonwith all 4 staying on the pitch all game. I've bought an apothecary now, who will probably never be needed again. I'm missing one again for the next game. I can't come top of the league now, so I guess the next 2 games dont matter(?). With that in mind, Jemima, who had break tackle, now has tackle as well from her double (when the sensible thing would have been block)!. She's a stunty-hunter! ;-)

Vexing Vision
23-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Aye, thanks to Groovy for an over-eager early Stunty Cup match. I was anticipating making 3-dice blocks versus his Snotlings with my super-powered Strength 3 Goblin!

I have never seen so many skulls in a single game. The highlight was a BD, BD, Skull rerolled to a Skull, Skull, Skull from my Superstrength Goblin. And of course despite my entire attempts of taking down Jemima - who's Break Tackle was really a game-changer - resulted in every other Ogre but her being injured.

Flying Rocks and Snotlings and Bombs everywhere, it was an extremely chaotic game indeed. Those Snotlings are tough!

Screwie
28-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Sorry for my radio silence as of late, but as anticipated I'm pretty much out of luck with internet gaming until after the new year. I'm at the mercy of my parents' awful max2GB/month connection while I am staying with them.

I should be able to get on and validate games, but playing any is out of the question for the duration.

drawlien
30-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey ntw, when would you like to play our game? I can do today up to about 1.30pm, tomorrow/sunday up to around 4pm or Monday up to around 8pm. Any of those suit you?

drawlien
04-01-2012, 09:50 AM
ntw, where are you? Can you spare an hour or so from Skyrim for a bit of stunty action?

ntw
04-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Oh my, Skyrim is good.

Sorry, I appear to have missed your posts in the hectic xmas period. Erm, how are you fixed for the next few evenings? AFAIK I've got nothing arranged so they should all be doable...

/edit - Don't be shy about pinging me on SteamBuds if you see me!

drawlien
04-01-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't want to break the immersion. :P

I am free over the next couple of evenings if you can start by 8.30? I can start later on Friday if you prefer.

ntw
04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Okies, I should also be free and available to start by 8:30pm over the next few evenings, let us meet on Steam and sacrifice our respective stunties.

Screwie
04-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Hey folks, there are 10 days left in Day 4 and plenty of games still left to play.

LowKey
04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
hey NieA7 I should be free thursday night or most of the weekend if you fancy playing, just let me know when

NieA7
05-01-2012, 12:38 AM
hey NieA7 I should be free thursday night or most of the weekend if you fancy playing, just let me know when

Tomorrow sounds good, I'll see if I can catch you on steam some time in the evening.

moondogjazz
05-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I have made a halfling team called Pie-mageddon, could I join?

Screwie
05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Well, Wolfenswan has decided to drop out. I will see if I can boot his team from the league and allow you to take his place. (This is all new to me.)

EDIT: Okay, I have dismissed Wolfenswan's lads. Try applying to the league with the password chainsawed.

President Weasel
05-01-2012, 08:21 PM
a'ight, if Wolfenswan is out and you are in then my litte mans need to ineptly fight yours. When?

NieA7
05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
The Philanthropists (Gob, me) vs. Small Damn Heroes (Fling, LowKey)

A tale of two heroes - sadly for LowKey neither were his. Courageous pogoer Walt Disney scored not one but two touchdowns for the Philanthropists before badly hurting himself leaping over a treeman (that bark must chafe something wicked), while crazed bombardier Alfred Nobel spent the entire first half keeping both the Heroes treeman flat on the deck. Every bomb he threw at a tree was accurate, I think he knocked them over 4 times in total. Even being blitzed by a treeman couldn't stop him, his armor of purest TNT saving him from any injury.

Outside that it was a pretty standard stunty game with lots of failed rolls on either side. LowKey elected to receive in the first half, but the deadly fusillade from Alfred Nobel (knocking over both a treeman and the ball carrier in one turn) broke up the attack and allowed the goblins to sprint through and score on the last turn. The second half opened with a spectacular display of uselessness by the chainsaw loony, who first of all hit himself with his own chainsaw on a block before hitting himself AGAIN on a foul and getting sent off for the privilege. Fortunately Walt stepped (hopped) in and dashed through the halfling line, scoring with about 4 turns to spare. A lucky kick and a perfect defense scuppered the flings chance of pulling one back, leaving it 2-0 to the gobbos at full time.

My MVP landed on Walt, earning him his second skill after sure feet. What a guy.

LowKey
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
POGOER

but yes he is good, also a diving tackle goblin was a cheeky surprise but overall NieA7 played the better game and deserved the win, good job

DarkFenix
06-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Schizoslayer, just saw your post in the DoD thread, where does your lack of time leave you with regards to this tourney?

Schizoslayer
06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Schizoslayer, just saw your post in the DoD thread, where does your lack of time leave you with regards to this tourney?

In roughly the same place I'm afraid.

moondogjazz
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
a'ight, if Wolfenswan is out and you are in then my litte mans need to ineptly fight yours. When?

How about this Saturday afternoon, about 3pm?

Screwie
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
After some wrestling with the spreadsheet, Moondog's fixtures are in and Wolfenswan's results have been transferred to him.

In roughly the same place I'm afraid.

Aww, that is a shame. :(

Okay then, I guess there is another spot available for any new blood willing to play a few games with a stunty team.

Kelron
06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Snoozer mentioned something about being in Australia after Christmas when we played our match in the divs of death. Might be a problem as I'm down to play him for 2 matches running here. Will PM him to see if there's any possibility of playing but I don't know.

President Weasel
07-01-2012, 01:01 AM
How about this Saturday afternoon, about 3pm?

Okey cokey!

- wait, I might have to go in to work today, and if I do I don't know when it will be. I think I'll be around at 3 but I cannot guarantee it,

Indefatigible Snoozer
07-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Snoozer mentioned something about being in Australia after Christmas when we played our match in the divs of death. Might be a problem as I'm down to play him for 2 matches running here. Will PM him to see if there's any possibility of playing but I don't know.

Snoozer is back on the correct side of the world. I could play sometime this evening, or sometime tomorrow, or during the week.

moondogjazz
07-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Okey cokey!

- wait, I might have to go in to work today, and if I do I don't know when it will be. I think I'll be around at 3 but I cannot guarantee it,

How about Sunday 3pm instead?

NieA7
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
My MVP landed on Walt, earning him his second skill after sure feet. What a guy.

Double 5 - +1MA/+1AV or any skill. I'm now having a crisis.

President Weasel
07-01-2012, 04:24 PM
How about Sunday 3pm instead?

already git a match scheduled with Groovy but I could do 1 or 5?

moondogjazz
07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
already git a match scheduled with Groovy but I could do 1 or 5?

1 in the afternoon would be good. See you then.

(beware I am veeerrry rusty, haven't played for quite a while)

Eski
07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Hallo youse folks. Screwie asked me to fill a last minute spot so I've popped on to say hallo and to say that "No Solids Crew" is up for the cup.

Kelron
07-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Snoozer is back on the correct side of the world. I could play sometime this evening, or sometime tomorrow, or during the week.

Welcome back to civilisation. I'd prefer not to play this weekend, but you can pick an evening next week except Wednesday.

Screwie
08-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Hallo youse folks. Screwie asked me to fill a last minute spot so I've popped on to say hallo and to say that "No Solids Crew" is up for the cup.

Thanks for stepping in Eski. If you please, could you fill in the remaining details on the spreadsheet (link in the first post of the thread) so your opponents can find you on Steam etc? Cheers.

I've updated the spreadsheet so Eski starts where Schizoslayer left off.

Jiiiiim
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Screwie when are you back so I can maim your dudes.

Screwie
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Screwie when are you back so I can maim your dudes.

I'll be back on Tuesday in the pm, I can manage an afternoon or late night game then (I have other gaming commitments in the evening) or some time later in the week.

President Weasel
08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Tiny Little Presidents 2 - 0 Pie-maggedon

Moondog is still a bit rusty and hasn't developed the necessary fear of edges. With a goodly portion of his halfmen shunted off the pitch in the second half, he was unable to keep my halfmen from getting a single dicer on his ball carrier. One of my mans has developed the mysterious and frightening technique that less inept races call "block" and he used this to knock the ball carrier over without getting knocked over himself. All the other tiny presidents were very impressed. Moondog's team couldn't muster the numbers to get the ball back leaving me the 2-0 winner.

Indefatigible Snoozer
09-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Welcome back to civilisation. I'd prefer not to play this weekend, but you can pick an evening next week except Wednesday.

Is this evening good for you? I'm online now, and can play whenever.

Gorm
09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Played Tom's ogres. This time i managed a 1-0 victory. Think i got 3 levels up as well.

Screwie
11-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Jiiiim, any chance of a game tonight?

Jiiiiim
11-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah I'm home from now onwards. When are you back?

Screwie
11-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I should be back between 7:30 and 8.

Jiiiiim
11-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Butterfield Diet Plan (halflings, Jim) vs Bully Culprits (goblins, Screwie)

Playing Screwie for the second game in a row here and fortunately the TV gap has widened in the intervening period. I pick up a chef and a babe, win the toss and receive. I am pretty scared of secret weapons so I try a risky throw and score in turn 2. 1-0! Screwie, enraged by the sending off of all of his weapons, spends the next six turns camped in my endzone while I roll triple skulls after triple skulls against his one-strength goblin. 1-1!

Second half is even more boring than the first. The chef takes all but one of screwie's rerolls, and he loses the final one in his first turn. We smother the goblin offensive, tie up both trolls with trees, then systematically beat the snot out of the goblins. When I walk in my winner on turn 16, there's 12 players on the pitch and we haven't been under any threat for some time.

2-1 victory is a 2-1 victory though. ONWARDS BRAVE HALFLADS.

Screwie
12-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Also of note, one of my trolls nearly levelled twice just by punching halflings half to death. And my other troll ate a goblin, yay!

Just 3 days left and both matches in Group 4 still to play!