PDA

View Full Version : Your game of the year Versus your most played game of the year

karandraz
13-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Greetings Fellow RPS'ers. After a dicussion with some of my local gaming buddies about what game we have enjoyed most (so far) this year versus what game we have spent the most time with this year, for whatever reason. It was interesting to see that the two were not both the same as you would think. So I thought id put this question to my favourite community :)

For myself i thought skyrim would take the top spot, but after playing it now for a good few hours i think the witcher 2 might just have pipped it being best, for me.

My most played game this year, it would seem is sword in the stars! Shame i am still not too good at it.

So RPS what are your two?

Nalano
13-11-2011, 07:46 AM
According to Steam metrics, my most played this year is ME2. As for best game... eh. That'll do.

agentorange
13-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Mmmm, my most played games are the New Vegas DLC and Dungeons of Dredmor; with RPGs and rogue-likes the time I spend with them is a pretty accurate determination of how much I like them, so consequently those two are probably my game of the year. Really can't think of anything that came out this year that floored me...last year was Amnesia, but most of the games this year have been so banal.

Mohorovicic
13-11-2011, 08:15 AM
The year's not over.

MD!
13-11-2011, 08:25 AM
GOTY would be SpaceChem. Most played: probably Quake Live, for plenty of fun and plenty of frustration and the occasional bout of aimlessly-playing-out-of habit.

Althea
13-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Most Played Game of the Year - Fallout: New Vegas (~100 hours)
Game of the Year - Bulletstorm (For being dicking awesome)

Stense
13-11-2011, 11:50 AM
The game I think is the best so far this year: Portal 2.
The game I've played most so far this year: Dragon Age 2.

BillButNotBen
13-11-2011, 11:57 AM
GOTY would be portal 2.
Most played would probably be Jade Empire.

But that's mostly a consequence of the length of RPGs vs the length of other games. I almost never replay games, so the games I spend the longest with are the longest games...

Casimir Effect
13-11-2011, 12:34 PM
GOTY would be The Witcher 2, partly because I thought it was excellent but also because I think it's the only game I've played from 2011, apart from little indie ones.
Most played game is tricky though. I've got a bunch around the 20 hour mark (according to Steam, which I know isn't a perfect measure) but I reckon the biggest timesinks were equally Dragon Age and The Last Remnant. Or Spellforce 1 and 2 oddly enough. And Baldur's Gate 2 will be getting there by the end of my playthrough. I guess I don't really get obsessed with a single game anymore like I did with things like Diablo 2 or Rome: TW back in the day.

TailSwallower
13-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, this year is a weird one for me. Spent the first half of it on Xbox, then got a good laptop, which I've been on since July.

So game I've played the most would probably be Mass Effect 2 on the 360, on PC it would probably be Dawn of War 2. But neither of those games came out this year originally. Game of the Year? Portal 2 if we're talking AAA, and probably Frozen Synapse if we're talking indie. Wasn't impressed by DE:HR, and probably won't buy into the Skrim or Saints Row the Third hype because backlog and both will obviously be cheaper with all the DLC down the track.

ado
13-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Best game of 2011 - Portal 2, no competition. Although I'm yet to play Skyrim and Batman, but from a purely art & craft perspective I doubt that they're much of a competition.

Game I played most - Gran Turismo 5 probably... For PC it's either TF2 or Civ V.

SephKing
13-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Going to have to choose The Witcher 2 for both. It's the first RPG i've ever played where I started a new game within 24 hours of completing it.

Icarus
13-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Most played game this year? Jeez, er, probably either Dragon Age Origins or Assassin's Creed 2 in terms of hours sunk into it. There's a -lot- of game there.

Best game I've played so far this year? God, that's genuinely a tough one, I've played a lot of excellent games this year, I'm going to have to say Assassin's Creed 2, with DXHR a very close second.

airtekh
13-11-2011, 02:56 PM
It appears that I'm quite partial to the odd Valve game.

Unless Arkham City turns out to be phenomenally good, my game of the year would have to be Portal 2.

Most played game, for the second year running, is Team Fortress 2.

buemba
13-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Most played: Drop7
Game of the year: Guess Portal 2 wins by default since it's the only game released in 2011 I finished so far, though I still think it's a big step back from the previous one.

Hensler
13-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Most Played - Fallout: New Vegas (Skyrim might pass it before teh year is over)

GotY: Operation Flashpoint: Red River

TillEulenspiegel
13-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Skyrim, and Skyrim. There's not much competition.

I have a bunch of accumulated Football Manager 2011 hours from earlier in the year, but I think I've already blown past that.

Wizardry
13-11-2011, 05:00 PM
My most played game of this year? Probably my latest run through Wizardry 8 early in the year. Best game of the year? Ehhhhh...

Hensler
13-11-2011, 07:57 PM
My most played game of this year? Probably my latest run through Wizardry 8 early in the year. Best game of the year? Ehhhhh...

But Wizardry 8 is only 10 years old - are you even allowed to like it?

The Innocent
13-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Most played: Fallout: New Vegas at 123 hours. Best? Dang, that's hard. I don't think I can choose except by genre, and then it's a pretty big list.

Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2
Tactical: Men of War: Assault Squad
RPG: Fallout: New Vegas, but I'm loving Skyrim
Puzzleish: Portal 2
Multi: Battlefield 3
Space!: Space Pirates and Zombies
Indie: Atom Zombie Smasher

It's been a really good year for games, in my opinion. And I agree with Mohorovicic — it isn't nearly over.

Lukasz
13-11-2011, 08:22 PM
terraria.

its the only game released this year which i played.

and i put 60 hours in it.

Vandelay
13-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Best game of the year is probably Portal 2, although honourable mentions go to Deus Ex: HR and The Witcher 2, for being fantastic for most of time, but not quite good enough to take GOTY crown.

Most played game is Starcraft 2, by a long way.

Rossignol
13-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Battlefield 3 will be my most played by the time the year is up. It probably is already. The Witcher 2 has taken up a huge amount of time with two playthroughs, however.

Game of the year is looking like Skyrim, if just because of the open-endedness. I like my freedom in games a bit too much.

Serenegoose
14-11-2011, 12:23 AM
My game of the year is Portal 2.

I think shogun 2 will be my most played game, however, at 75 hours (and will be more before the year is out.)

Reinhardt
14-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Nothing this year has had a major impact on me =(

I played a good amount of Dark Souls when it came out. So...that? Also, I'm surprised to see such little love for Deus Ex.

mpk
14-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Best game wot was released this year is, without a doubt, Portal 2, although I would say Mass Effect 2 was the game I most enjoyed playing this year.

I've spent an inordinate amount of time playing Sword of the Stars, Dawn of War 2 and Borderlands this year, as all as the first two Mass Effects, so I'm not entirely sure which would be my most played game - Borderlands has over 100 hours on record, but I've had it since release, whereas the rest have between 20-35 hours each.

Heliocentric
14-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Most played: Fallout: New Vegas at 123 hours. Best? Dang, that's hard. I don't think I can choose except by genre, and then it's a pretty big list.

Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2
Tactical: Men of War: Assault Squad
RPG: Fallout: New Vegas, but I'm loving Skyrim
Puzzleish: Portal 2
Multi: Battlefield 3
Space!: Space Pirates and Zombies
Indie: Atom Zombie Smasher

It's been a really good year for games, in my opinion. And I agree with Mohorovicic — it isn't nearly over.
I like the cut of your jib.
Trying to cut down to one game, even per genre feels like insanity. Cant we all just get along?

redspielened
14-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Hmm, I won't bother with the best game since every game provides a unique experience, some more impacting than others, sure, but it's kinda pointless to ascribe "best" to one.

Most played? Well, I've stopped playing LoL towards the end of summer but it probably had more than 200 hours up until then. Otherwise, probably Civ5 which has a respectable 60ish.

A few games have surprised me quite pleasantly this year though, Mirror's Edge, Sol Survivor, GTA IV, Gal Civs 2, Broken Sword, Fate of the world, Tale of Tales ones, Rift, The first templar, and I've probably forgotten one or another. I've enjoyed each in their own strange way and am glad that I've dropped multiplayer games from the ones I'll play. Too much time spent and frustration for a little ego boost. Well, I still play BLC from time to time, but too little to be worth mention.

Nalano
14-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Cant we all just get along?

*beats Helio with a billy club*

vinraith
14-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Uhhh, to be honest I have a hard time remembering what was released this year. I tend to be a bit behind the curve, and I think the bulk of what I've been playing is from 2010.

Most played, hmm, that'd almost certainly be Sword of the Stars Complete. I must have logged several hundred hours between single and multiplayer. Close seconds would be AI War and Dragon Age Origins. I started a game of New Vegas but decided to come back to it when Project Nevada finalized a bit more and once all the DLC were out. As soon as PN updates I'll probably start in again, and it's not impossible it could end up topping the most played list before the end of the year.

Best game? Well like I said, I don't really know what released this year. I loved SpaceChem and Bronze, which I first played early this year. I'm sure I'll love Skyrim, but I probably won't play it until the modders have had some time to file off the rough edges. Pride of Nations is another contender, but I've not put enough time into it to say just yet. Yeah, ask me in two months, and even then I probably won't know. I'm unlikely to play my favorite game from 2011 until at best 2012.

destx
14-11-2011, 01:46 AM
GOTY for me was Deus Ex: Human Revolution by far. Most played was BF:BC2 @ 127 hours.

I remember really enjoying Portal 2 while I was playing it, but in retrospect I feel like it was missing something important. Maybe I'm just tired of ambiguous stories in Valve games. In the next couple weeks, I expect that Saints Row 3 and Serious Sam 3 will make me very happy.

Big ups to some older games I played for the first time in 2011: Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 1&2, Alpha Protocol and Bionic Commando.

AJH
14-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Game of the Year: Skyrim.

Rough edges, sure. Dodgy UI, people acting as if you breaking into their home is perfectly normal, sure. But rounding that corner into Winterrun valley and seeing Edoras loom over the plain... there has not been a single better moment in games all year for me.

It's been one hell of a year for games. Really has. After a couple of years of a couple of great games but few masterpieces, this year has seen so many works of gaming genius it's hard to keep up.

Honorable mentions to: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Portal 2, Witcher 2, Fifa 12 (no, really).

Most played game: Fifa 12.

Because it is genuinely the best virtual football there has ever been, and because I can play it while listening to podcasts, and it can be played in short bursts. Unlike Skyrim.

redspielened
14-11-2011, 02:49 AM
because I can play it while listening to podcasts

Yup, this is how I play Civ! :D

Oak
14-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Favorite and most-played this year is Brink, which I wouldn't have expected to be the case going into 2011, but there you are. I fell pretty hard for this game, warts and all, and with TF2 slipping out of my regular rotation it got a ton of playtime.

vagrant
14-11-2011, 03:53 AM
A few games have surprised me quite pleasantly this year though, Mirror's Edge,

This might be my 2nd most-played game of the year (Bad Company 2 is easily #1). Granted, my game time is based on whenever Steam started logging playtime (early 2010?), but I've got like 150 hours in the game. I also played a lot of Borderlands this year. Or maybe that was all last year?

No idea for my GotY, though. To the Moon is the only game that stands out in recent memory, but it's been a long year. Brink was almost there; There was a lot to love, but it didn't quite feel totally right.

EDIT: What was that flight combat game Vlambeer released? I loved that game. It's a GotY contender.

EDIT 2: Pokemon Black & White, maybe GotY. Also probably my 2nd most played (assuming Tetris doesn't qualify).

Fumarole
14-11-2011, 06:44 AM
For me Frozen Synapse fits both categories.

coldvvvave
14-11-2011, 07:20 AM
GOTY - not sure, probably Deus Ex:Human Revolution, but thats just because there was nothing better.

Most played: DoW2 Retribution - roughly 1000 hours( 600 without the beta).

I kept climbing that damn 1v1 ladder.

It was some pure masochistic fun.

Lobotomist
14-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Year is not over - so game of the year will have to be Skyrim (Sorry Witcher 2 , love ya ... but we can not deny the facts)

Most played...
Hard to track that...

I would have to call it a split between F:NV , W2 , BFBC2, TF2 , and at rate i am liking it, might be another win for Skyrim

t0mme
14-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Best game of 2011 for me is Portal 2. It was quite short, but every moment was great!

Most played? Football Manager 2011 (combined with 2012, which is essentially the same game). Closely followed by Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword - Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn.

c-Row
14-11-2011, 10:11 AM
From my clouded memory, I recall Portal 2 being the most entertaining game this year, though I certainly sunk more time into Deus Ex up to the point were my neck hurt from the countless hours I sat before the screen. I got into Terraria recently, so that might raise that bar until the end of the year, though.

Skalpadda
14-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Most hours played so far is probably The Witcher 2 or TF2 although Skyrim will almost certainly overtake both before the year is at an end.

As GoTY I'd say probably Portal 2 although The Witcher 2 is close in terms of overall enjoyment, Skyrim has been lots of fun so far and Trine 2 looks like it might be a perfect nugget of loveliness based on playing the first two levels. For me 2011 has been an excellent gaming year and I really can't choose one.

DWZippy
14-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Honestly? I think Atom Zombie Smasher might be my GOTY.

Most played is probably Battlefield 3 [already] or Starcraft II.

kyrieee
14-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Easily Witcher 2 for me, and it might end up being my most played game as well because I suspect I'll get bored with Skyrim long before I reach the total time of all my Witcher playthroughs. I love almost everything about it, the environments are gorgeous, there are so many great moments, great characters and great dialogue. The game feels inspired, you can tell that CDP aren't a bunch of guys who have been making RPGs for a decade and a half just going through the motions.

Deus Ex was good but looking back on it I think it was slightly overrated.

DzX
14-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Easily Witcher 2 for me, .... I love almost everything about it, the environments are gorgeous, there are so many great moments, great characters and great dialogue. The game feels inspired, you can tell that CDP aren't a bunch of guys who have been making RPGs for a decade and a half just going through the motions.

I'm in complete agreement.

Hanban
14-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Skyrim is probably game of the year for me. I'm finding it more enjoyable than The Witcher 2 which I at first thought would take the crown, but left me disappointed by the end.

Most played is however World of Tanks. I can for some reason not stop playing it.

Kadayi
14-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Most played is probably BF3 Multi-player (88 hours 22 minutes played at the time of writing...). GoTY? Well I haven't looked at Skyrim yet, but I'm thinking DX:HR or Portal 2 are the stand outs with TW2 a little behind in the running (the boss battles were far worse than those in DX:HR imho).

Basilicus
14-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Most played is Dragon Age: Origins. Revisited it for a second playthrough, since I now have the DLC and Awakenings and wanted to see if I could become the regent instead of, you know, a dead mage. Add those in and you're approaching 150 hours of play between them all.

Best game is between Portal 2 and Skyrim. If Skyrim keeps on going like it is...then damn, it's one of the best three or four games I've ever played. It'd be difficult to overtake DA:O in sheer time played, but I've had Skyrim for 3 days, was gone for one of them, and have already put in 15 hours, so...we shall see.

Althea
14-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think Portal 2 is a worthy candidate for GotY?

I mean it was good, but it had more wasted potential than anything else I've played this year. It never quite reached the brilliance of Portal, and the single-player was less challenging and more bloody awkward during the harder parts.

The Innocent
14-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Honestly? I think Atom Zombie Smasher might be my GOTY.

You, sir, are awesome. What a great game.

airtekh
14-11-2011, 04:14 PM

I mean it was good, but it had more wasted potential than anything else I've played this year. It never quite reached the brilliance of Portal, and the single-player was less challenging and more bloody awkward during the harder parts.

The reason I picked Portal 2 as my GOTY is mainly because of the co-op campaign. I think if I had only played the single player portion, then I'd probably pick Human Revolution as my game of the year.

The single player is good, but with the brilliance of the co-op, Portal 2 becomes an amazing experience.

PeopleLikeFrank
14-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, most played game still defaults to TF2 for me, so the distinction between that & GotY is pretty easy to make.

GotY would probably be DX:HR, though I'm willing to admit that I'm just so pleased with a good DX game that I'm overlooking better candidates.

Nope, I fully agree. As per an earlier thread on Portal 2, I actually think the choice to continue Portal's story (as opposed to just having another game with similar themes & mechanics) is the biggest mistake they made. The rest following from that is a lot of trying too hard, turning everything up to 11 to justify the sequel. The co-op campaign was quite good though.

Tikey
14-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I think my most played is probably Deus Ex: HR. Which would probably my GOTY. But my memory is a little bit filmsy.

GotY would probably be DX:HR, though I'm willing to admit that I'm just so pleased with a good DX game that I'm overlooking better candidates.

This!
There might be a better goty but it's a decent deus ex game. That alone clouds my judgement.

Creeping Death
14-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Most played game of the year for me would easily be sc2... and somehow I'm still rubbish at it.

GotY - This one is easy and I'm surprised noone else has mentioned it yet. Bastion! Now to be honest I havent played Skyrim yet and I'm sure it'll be an excellent game, but I cant see it leaving an impression in the way Bastion has.

Althea
14-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Nope, I fully agree. As per an earlier thread on Portal 2, I actually think the choice to continue Portal's story (as opposed to just having another game with similar themes & mechanics) is the biggest mistake they made. The rest following from that is a lot of trying too hard, turning everything up to 11 to justify the sequel. The co-op campaign was quite good though.
I never played the co-op, and I found its inclusion (And that frakking item shop) to be rather bizarre.

:forever alone:

Sp4rkR4t
14-11-2011, 05:30 PM
GOTY: Portal 2, it is a very rare thing indeed when humour is handled that well in gaming.
Most Played: By the end of the year is will have definitely have been Battlefield 3.

Vexing Vision
14-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Most played: Mount & Blade: Warband
GOTY: Still waiting on Batman and Skyrim for a verdict, but Witcher 2 is still strong contender, followed by Bastion/Portal 2.

Daiv
14-11-2011, 11:52 PM
This year Spacechem stole my year back when it was barely even this year. It gets both quality and most time accolades from me.

Portal 2, however, gets honourable mention as it is the only game to make me shout "you've got to be f***ing kidding me..." in delight at the monitor. That bit at the end where where you *redacted* the portal to the *redacted* and *redacted* into *redacted* and get *redacted* by GLaDOS was a thrill in the most physical sense which caused neighbours to wonder why there was a lunatic dancing in delight.

Even now my dreams sometimes dance in silent, elegantly choreographed loops.

TixyLixx
15-11-2011, 12:49 AM
GOTY - Portal 2
Most played - Skyrim, 30 hours in and still have a long way to go.

Portal 2 had a bigger emotional impact with the amazing writing and was just an all out perfect package. I'm loving Skyrim but there is so much wrong with it that makes me hate the game at times.

These are the only two games I've liked all year, though I have yet to play Batman and SWTOR.

Miker
15-11-2011, 05:54 AM
GOTY: Portal 2
Most played: League of Legends or StarCraft 2

StarCraft 2, however, is the game whose culture I'm most obsessed with. I pay attention to tournaments, casters, players, day in, day out, and I love it.

amusingthebrood
15-11-2011, 11:48 AM
My most played will inevitably be Civ IV.

As to my game of the year? A quick check shows that I have only half a dozen games from this year, and all of them are quite good. I think it comes down to Portal 2 or Atom Zombie Smasher. I'll go with AZS on the grounds that I think I will get more long term play from it.

sabrage
15-11-2011, 12:28 PM
My most played game this year is easily League of Legends. As for the hours that I can count, The Binding of Isaac has 20 hours and Company of Heroes is right behind it with 17.

As far as Game of the Year, The Binding of Isaac is currently the only 2011 game that's hooked me enough to give it that. I have no real drive to go back and finish Bastion, From Dust was decent at best, I've yet to play the co-op half of Portal 2 to judge that, Dungeons of Dredmor is too buggy and frustrating to take the spot, and everything else I haven't even played enough to say.

cpugeek13
15-11-2011, 02:00 PM
My most played games of the year are probably Shogun 2, Space Marine, and League of Legends.

My game of the year would probably either be the Witcher 2 or Shogun 2.

Scumbag
15-11-2011, 02:13 PM
GotY for me: DE HR I'd say. Only played it for 3 weeks, but in that time I got about 65 hours play done.

Most played: Either Killing Floor getting an hour or so in after work most days (something about slaughtering zombies that talk utter rubbish that seemed to fit with retail) or Red Orchestra 2, but mainly for the horrific mindless grind of the cruel Unlock hunger.

csuzw
15-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Most played is probably WoW but I've kicked that habit once and for all now.

Game of the year is definitely Skyrim. There are niggles but mostly it's just amazing. It's already my most played game on Steam (from whenever they started tracking which can't have been that long ago judging by the numbers) just edging ahead of Alpha Protocol and Blood Bowl.

There haven't actually been many games I really enjoyed this year. I really liked Space Marine though, I just wish there was a bit more to it. Dawn of War 2: Retribution was pretty good. Shogun 2 was mildly disappointing but then I'm not sure why I even bother with Total War games these days, I love the idea, just not the execution. Bulletstorm was mildly fun. Rage was mostly bad. Witcher 2 was dull. Dragon Age 2 was surprisingly good. Deus Ex: HR was massively disappointing but still good (Alpha Protocol has ruined me).