PDA

View Full Version : FPS Gift Recommendation

dmbelenk
13-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I've quite a question for you esteemed game connoisseurs. My girlfriend's father's birthday is coming up, and we'd like to get him a PC FPS. He likes his FPS with the following characteristics, generally:

1) Realistic graphics.
2) Nice settings/landscapes.
3) Good Single-Player (he doesn't really like playing Multiplayer).
4) Violence (What I mean is I don't think Portal 2 will do; the FPS needs the S part).

Games he already has:
Call of Duty MW3 (and earlier ones)
Fallout 3.
Metro 2033.
The STALKER games.
Left for Dead 2.

Any thoughts? I remember reading something about Hard Reset, but not sure if thats any good. Homefront? Was that any good? If so, I think it would totally be something he likes, with the realistic settings and all. Any recommendations at all will be appreciated and evaluated. Thanks RPSers! Wish there was anyway I could ever go to those boardgame socials you all have but I am over in the States.

sabrage
13-11-2011, 11:56 PM
I think Hard Reset is a good choice. Great graphics and a lot of shooting, at least from what I've seen. It's all robot violence though, so maybe Crysis?

Hensler
14-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Well if he likes Fallout 3, there is Fallout: New Vegas and expansions.

I'd recommend Singularity - really under-rated game that you can get at a good price, too. On that same note, the Medal of Honor single player campaign was pretty good, if you like those sorts of games. I liked it better than the Modern Warfares, and you have those on your list.

Farcry 2, perhaps.

Squiz
14-11-2011, 12:19 AM
If he is ok with mods, how about one of the Stalker games?

Edit: Nevemrind, just saw that they were on your list above.

Personoic
14-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Mirror's Edge if he can get over the minimal combat. Half-life 2 + Episodes?

Serious Sams HD are always good for single player.

Zeno Clash for something different I guess.

Heliocentric
14-11-2011, 01:03 AM
1) Realistic graphics.
4) Violence (What I mean is I don't think Portal 2 will do; the FPS needs the S part).

Games he already has:
Fallout 3.
Metro 2033.
The STALKER games.
Left for Dead 2.
Halflife 2
Swat 4
Crysis (just uninstall the game once he gets inside the mountain)

westyfield
14-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Half Life 2.
Crysis.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution? (If he plays it as a shooty character rather than sneaking around.)
Far Cry 2.
Borderlands? I thought the singleplayer was ok, 'realistic' graphics are probably the issue - it's pretty, but not lifelike.

destx
14-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Seconding FC2, Serious Sam HD and HL2.

Homefront is terrible, very limited freedom.
Deus Ex: HR can be very shooty if he doesn't mind the story bits.
The single-player campaign in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is pretty good for a modern-warefareish railshooter.
Duke Nukem Forever is okay if you're not expecting much, and it's probably cheap now.
RAGE is pretty & fun once you get it working.

Now I'm all depressed because I just realised how disappointing the past few years have been for FPS :(

Casimir Effect
14-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Bad Company 2 is very cheap on Direct 2 Drive right now, and while the MP is the focus the SP is a lot of fun, albeit over in about 5 hours. My recommendation would be Far Cry 2, which is just about my favourite FPS and errs on the side of realism.

Heister
14-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I've quite a question for you esteemed game connoisseurs. My girlfriend's father's birthday is coming up, and we'd like to get him a PC FPS. He likes his FPS with the following characteristics, generally:

1) Realistic graphics.

Games he already has:
Fallout 3.
Metro 2033.
The STALKER games.
Left for Dead 2.

Any thoughts? I remember reading something about Hard Reset, but not sure if thats any good. Homefront? Was that any good? If so, I think it would totally be something he likes, with the realistic settings and all. Any recommendations at all will be appreciated and evaluated. Thanks RPSers! Wish there was anyway I could ever go to those boardgame socials you all have but I am over in the States.

If he likes FPS games then Homefront is a good choice. It has a really good single player campaign. It also looks good and the controls and gameplay are as good as anything else thats out.

What about Medal of Honor? http://store.steampowered.com/app/47790/?snr=1_4_4__13

I also have to recommend Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. It's an awesome game! http://store.steampowered.com/app/15390/?snr=1_5_9__13

kyrieee
14-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 + 2

oceanclub
14-11-2011, 02:29 AM
I'd recommend both Wolfenstein and Singularity - underrated B-movie style FPSes. I'd said they'd be right up his alley.

Oh, Crysis 1/2 and Far Cry 1/2 as well. (Out of those, the first Crysis was my fave. The Warhead expansion was fun too.)

P.

The Innocent
14-11-2011, 03:22 AM
If he liked Fallout 3, then Fallout: New Vegas is definitely a good recommendation. Especially if he was fine with the roleplaying and conversation elements.

I actually quite liked Rage once I forgave it for not being a better game. The shooting portions were exceptionally competent, and id is still in the business of making gaming's most satisfying shotguns. The hub sections were meh, but you can rush through those pretty quickly.

If he likes zombies, Dead Island was pretty good, albeit a bit clunky. It was no more clunky than the STALKER games were though (for me, anyway).

Do not get him Homefront. That game is an affront to everything. Yes, everything.

Somewhat older recommendations: BioShock 1 and 2, and FEAR were pretty good.

Giaddon
14-11-2011, 03:25 AM
I second the R6 Vegases as good recommendations. Can probably get them cheap, now.

Skalpadda
14-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Crysis 1 seems to tick all those boxes if he doesn't mind the 80s B-movie plot. Crysis 2 if he prefers 90s B-movie plots ;)

Farcry 2 might be a match as well, if he can deal with the aimlessness and grinding through checkpoints.

dancanman
14-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 + 2

This, so much this.

Also Left4Dead, Bad Company 2, New Vegas.

sabrage
14-11-2011, 04:29 AM
I haven't played the second Far Cry, but I don't really see why everyone complains about the respawning enemies. The best part of the first one is killing the enemies, so the option of re-approaching the enemies with different tactics (including avoiding them altogether!) as many times as I want sounds like a ton of fun to me.

SirKicksalot
14-11-2011, 05:02 AM
He likes violence, eh? Well then Bulletstorm, Singularity and Wolfenstein.

metalangel
14-11-2011, 06:07 AM
If he likes FPS games then Homefront is a good choice. It has a really good single player campaign. It also looks good and the controls and gameplay are as good as anything else thats out.

Disagree there. I love Homefront but it really is, like BF and CoD, all about the multiplayer. The single player is an exciting but short scripted run which you might play twice. The only thing in its favour for SP is the price.

Skalpadda
14-11-2011, 06:33 AM
I haven't played the second Far Cry, but I don't really see why everyone complains about the respawning enemies. The best part of the first one is killing the enemies, so the option of re-approaching the enemies with different tactics (including avoiding them altogether!) as many times as I want sounds like a ton of fun to me.

The problem isn't that they respawn per se, but that the enemy checkpoints are absolutely everywhere and respawn very quickly. It becomes nearly impossible to get anywhere without having to constantly clear out the same checkpoints over and over again. You can get around it a bit by grabbing a boat and taking the waterways whenever you can, but you can't access all areas of the map that way. Despite this I really liked the game, but I understand those who found it tedious in the extreme.

Mohorovicic
14-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Hard Reset is bad, Far Cry 2 is bad, Homefront is garbage, Singularity/Bulletstorm/Borderlands hardly have "realistic graphics".

You could try CoD clones like MoH 2010, BC2 or BF3. And Crysis.

luckystriker
14-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I suppose the reason why no one's mentioned Battlefield 3 is because the singleplayer campaign sucks? I'm not really a FPS man but I'm having great fun with the coop mode (maybe you can play with your dad, father-son bonding and all that) and the 64-player conquest maps just might convert your father to multiplayer.

hamster
14-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Fear 1 is awesome. Haven't played Fear 2. Fear 3 looks horrible.

Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena. Comes with a remastered version of the original (escape from Butcher Bay). This is the game to get if you like violence. This game may well open his mind to tactile, visceral, melee violence. Yeah baby.

On that note, get him Condemned as well.

Jams O'Donnell
14-11-2011, 10:49 AM
This, so much this.
If he's not averse to older games, I'd suggest Raven Shield over Vegas.

Also SWAT 4, and SWAT 3. Possibly also Hidden and Dangerous 2. Oh, and Far Cry 2.

TailSwallower
14-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Singularity/Bulletstorm/Borderlands hardly have "realistic graphics".

Whilst the game might be sci-fi, I still think Singularity looks fairly realistic. It's certainly no less realistic looking than Fallout 3, and that was already mentioned in the OP. I think Singularity possibly looks more realistic than Fallout 3 because the characters look and move better.

So yeah, I also support the Singularity suggestion. Though, if he's got plenty of time and really loved Fallout 3, then New Vegas is more of the same, but better in every way. The Ultimate Edition should be out soon too, which is great value, and has the added bonus of technically being a 'New Release' and thus seeming like a better present.

dmbelenk
15-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments! I think for now we are gonna go with BioShocks 1 and 2 (I think the discussion of the Ayn Rand ideology might interest him in 1, and I haven't played 2 but we don't want to go stingy on this present). But there are certainly more holidays coming up so I might get some of these for him later.

(And thanks for the reminder about Hidden and Dangerous! I remember playing that game a lot back in the day)

Heliocentric
15-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Why ask for realistic and settle for fire balls and magic bees?

SirKicksalot
15-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I suppose by "realistic graphics" he means "good graphics".