PDA

View Full Version : RPS BF3 servers

Rossignol
14-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I'll be posting this on the main site at some point, but we now have two servers.

RPS UK Community server
RPS US Community server

UK is in London, US is in Chicago. Might be a good place for RPSers to meet and play together!

Kismet
14-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Yay!

For those too lazy to search on battlelog:

RPS UK Community server (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/35d9bf44-282e-4c99-af3a-124f9e1776e1/RPS-UK-Community-Server/)
RPS US Community server (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/73d37e1e-1dba-41e4-838b-f7723861062c/RPS-US-Community-Server/)

siegarettes
14-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Perfect. I actually live on the edge of Chicago, so this is conveniently placed for a great connection. Looking forward to seeing some RPSers online tonight.

Sp4rkR4t
14-11-2011, 04:28 PM
That's a high ping for a Uk server, and only 32 players?

izal
14-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Get TeamSync (http://www.tssync.net/)working with the mumble server for auto-voip goodness.

Vandelay
14-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Excellent. Been waiting a while for this.

Little disappointed that it is only 32 players. Although I generally stick to servers running Rush with 32 players when playing with randoms, some massive 64 player games with RPS readers, who are likely to actually use team work, would be amazing. I understand the servers are quite expensive though, so fair enough.

westyfield
14-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Get TeamSync (http://www.tssync.net/)working with the mumble server for auto-voip goodness.

This, a thousand times this. A full 64-player server with everyone in TeamSpeak and TeamSync running is a thing of beauty.

izal
14-11-2011, 06:37 PM
This, a thousand times this. A full 64-player server with everyone in TeamSpeak and TeamSync running is a thing of beauty.

Do you play on the TG servers? Pretty sure you've killed me a few times. Howdy.

westyfield
14-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Do you play on the TG servers? Pretty sure you've killed me a few times. Howdy.

Indeed I do. Hi there! Is izal your in-game name?

Colonel J
14-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Will there be any admin preference given to RPS Platooners, some time slots with password protection turned on or something like that?

izal
14-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Indeed I do. Hi there! Is izal your in-game name?

izal365. Squad up if you ever need a crappy medic/engy :)

sabrage
16-11-2011, 02:25 AM
I notice that the US server is consistently empty... I'd try to organize some Platoon members to populate it, but there's usually only 2-3 on at a time. Most troubling.

Rossignol
16-11-2011, 09:56 AM
If platoon admins want to get in touch I can set up some admins for these servers, although I am not sure if it is possible to password them as they are ranked?

Kadayi
16-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Will try and pop on at some point.

Bodge
16-11-2011, 04:06 PM
If platoon admins want to get in touch I can set up some admins for these servers, although I am not sure if it is possible to password them as they are ranked?

PM should be headed your way.

On another note, 2nd platoon is nearly full too.

Hirmetrium
16-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Ug, where is the mumble server information? it isn't stickied.

Bodge
16-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Address: server.herosquad.org
Port: 64738
Server Password: none!

Ayam
16-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I crashed out after around 40 minutes, impossible to get a place back in, seems very popular. I really like that RPS has its own server, 32 seemed nice, but I do have a fondness for 48 man battles - not quite the amount of ridiculous that 64 has on relatively cramped maps, and fleshes out players on the larger maps nicely also.

Thanks for providing it, by the way!

Nullkigan
16-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Ug, where is the mumble server information? it isn't stickied.

Bodge gave the connection details, but there's also a guide on the overlay and what have you in the thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?533-Unofficial-Community-Mumble-server

Jockie
16-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Any chance of a queue thingy being put on like wot some of them other servers have?

Bodge
16-11-2011, 10:54 PM
So our little get together today was much fun, even if I had to leave early.

Vandelay
16-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Yes, that was a lot of fun, although I couldn't stay for as long as I would of liked. I was X_Sp0nge, for those that missed that.

Pity we lost the three games I played, but our squad did quite awesomely, getting an Ace Squad Ribbon in one game and all topping the scoreboard in another (this was with Bodge and a couple of others.) In fact, I think I scored more points in those three games than any other matches I've played.

I try and get on the mumble server next time.

Kadayi
17-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Good fun, but yeah people need to get on the mumble as it was a decidedly one way affair at one stage regarding people in mumble working together Vs People not in mumble lone wolfing it. Also for the love of all things holy drop Davarand Point Conquest.

Alex Bakke
17-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Damavand Peak Conq. is great fun; especially flying the AH-6/Z-11 over the mountain and dropping off a team to capture the enemies' points.

Kadayi
17-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Damavand Peak Conq. is great fun; especially flying the AH-6/Z-11 over the mountain and dropping off a team to capture the enemies' points.

1) It's linear (there is no opportunity to flank per se)

2) The helicopter drop is the only way to win because pushing through the middle is nigh on impossible, which means you're wholly dependant upon having someone who can pilot.

3) Defending A&B or D&E and playing hunt the c**t isn't particularly rewarding for those who do it.

Head
17-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Yes, that was a lot of fun, although I couldn't stay for as long as I would of liked. I was X_Sp0nge, for those that missed that.

Pity we lost the three games I played, but our squad did quite awesomely, getting an Ace Squad Ribbon in one game and all topping the scoreboard in another (this was with Bodge and a couple of others.) In fact, I think I scored more points in those three games than any other matches I've played.

I try and get on the mumble server next time.
That was you?
You kept walking into my smaw rockets :D

westyfield
17-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Nah, Damavand Conquest is amazing. Piloting scout helicopters is dead easy, and there's rarely any anti-air on that map because there are so few aircraft. I quite like the change from wide open maps - in lots of maps, one person can sneak around the back and grab a flag. In Damavand, you either have to use a helicopter, which draws attention and bullets, or you have to actually work with your team (in public BF3 play working with squads is rare enough) to push forward and break through.

Kadayi
17-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Nah, Damavand Conquest is amazing. Piloting scout helicopters is dead easy, and there's rarely any anti-air on that map because there are so few aircraft. I quite like the change from wide open maps - in lots of maps, one person can sneak around the back and grab a flag. In Damavand, you either have to use a helicopter, which draws attention and bullets, or you have to actually work with your team (in public BF3 play working with squads is rare enough) to push forward and break through.

It's fun when you're winning, it's a long drag when you're losing and there is little you can do to turn things around. Last night there were only 2 out of 16 of our team actually on mumble, where as there were about 8 out of 16 on your side. The odds were never in our favour because the bases are too large to defend with only a couple of people working together (let alone mount a counter offensive).

Sure anyone can sneak in a take an objective on a lot of maps, but holding it is another matter. With Daravand there's so much space and cover once you've captured a base point it's actually pretty easy to run around and if not defend it, then sneak the other whilst it's being recaptured then rinse repeat, all the while having squad mates spawning in on you. The entire scenario just becomes a case of Hunt the c**t until the tickets run out.

Kismet
17-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Agree with Kadayi.

The fact that you can skip the central part using the helicopter makes Damavand Peak Conquest just a bit better than Operation Metro Conquest (the horror!), but it's still a fairly miserable experience, especially if you're one of the few poor guys trying to retake the points closer to the home base while everyone else is hunting frags in the the tunnel.

It may be fun when you're fooling around enemy side knifing people, but it's a bit of a pigeon versus statue affair...

Bodge
17-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Platoon 2 is full, if you have not been accepted that is why. Feel free to create 3rd platoon, just copy the info from the 1st and edit as necessary.

westyfield
17-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Last night there were only 2 out of 16 of our team actually on mumble, where as there were about 8 out of 16 on your side.

I was on your side, having fun.
I've had fun whilst winning and losing - being steamrolled isn't fun, nor is driving the steamroller. I kinda see your point, perhaps on public servers it becomes more of a fragfest in the tunnels, but the people I regularly play with usually get organised and work together. Regarding the bases being too big, perhaps that's a problem with only having 16 to a team? I play on a 44 player server, so there are enough people to maintain a solid defence without sacrificing too much offensive power, but not so many that it becomes a turkey shoot in the tunnel.

His Master's Voice
17-11-2011, 07:44 PM
So I'm kinda new to Mumble (and voice chat in general) and I have a question. If I'm assigned as a member of the US team by the game, I have to manually join US team on Mumble, right? And when we switch sides after the round ends, I have to manually change sides in Mumble or is it automatic?

Vandelay
17-11-2011, 07:54 PM
That was you?
You kept walking into my smaw rockets :D

Well, clearly I was jumping into rockets to protect teammates.

Bodge
17-11-2011, 10:11 PM
So I'm kinda new to Mumble (and voice chat in general) and I have a question. If I'm assigned as a member of the US team by the game, I have to manually join US team on Mumble, right? And when we switch sides after the round ends, I have to manually change sides in Mumble or is it automatic? Mumble is completely seperate from BF3, I just put them in there to give the two sides seperate channels. In reality think of the mumble channels as team 1 and team 2, there isn't much point switching every round (so no, you don't switch automatically).

Burnside
17-11-2011, 10:30 PM
There were some good matches there last night, great fun - I was on as unit_redacted, definitely remember Kadayi shooting me in the head a few times.

...Mumble...
People only swapped teams in mumble if they got dc'd and returned on the other team; though it was pretty funny listening to both sides all in the same channel in grand bazaar!

Brnin8r
18-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Made the third platoon for those who didn't make it into the first 2.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241098685472/

Kadayi
18-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Mumble is completely seperate from BF3, I just put them in there to give the two sides seperate channels. In reality think of the mumble channels as team 1 and team 2, there isn't much point switching every round (so no, you don't switch automatically).

Bodge you probably need to create a separate 'BF3 hardcore' channel, because when I came on there were about 4 guys in the BF3 channel who seemed wholly unaware that RPS even had a BF3 server and wouldn't countenance playing on 'normal' as that's as sure a sign of homosexual tendencies as wearing suede shoes apparently.

BaronWR
18-11-2011, 08:56 AM
That sounds very un-RPS.

On mumble related issues, has anyone been able to get the overlay working with BF3?

Brnin8r
18-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Might be a good idea to add a link to the RPS3 platoon on the platoon pages of RPS and RPS2.

Kadayi
18-11-2011, 10:42 AM
That sounds very un-RPS.

Indeed. I opted to jump to my own mumble server and play with my clannies instead tbh.

On mumble related issues, has anyone been able to get the overlay working with BF3?

Not so far, which it a pity as it's a useful tool.

Winstons
18-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Great news on the servers. Many mans will be shot.

ArtVandelay
18-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately the US server never seems to have people on it. I think the problem is there needs to be eight people to start a game. Is there anyway to change it so you can start with less people? If you can just run about and mess around I would wait for the server to fill but as it is now you can only sit in spawn and do nothing.

DWZippy
21-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Bodge you probably need to create a separate 'BF3 hardcore' channel, because when I came on there were about 4 guys in the BF3 channel who seemed wholly unaware that RPS even had a BF3 server and wouldn't countenance playing on 'normal' as that's as sure a sign of homosexual tendencies as wearing suede shoes apparently.

I think that was me and some guys - and if that was the case, you are painting us in a wholly unflattering light. We were just playing hardcore as a group and were entirely happy for people to join us, that was just what we chose to play. We usually jump into one of the empty fireteam rooms so we're not in the way.

Art, I think Bodge can probably help you, I'm in Europe at the moment, so I can't access the servers, but I have a sneaky suspicion i'm an RPS server admin aswell, so if it's not sorted by the time I get back on Wednesday,I'll look into it.

Winstons
27-11-2011, 11:38 PM
The RPS servers have been rather quiet as of late, and it seems rather a shame to let them go to waste - in fact I've not yet had the pleasure of shooting mans with a great number of my RPS platoon chums.

So in the spirit of friendly violence, this Friday (2nd December) I propose a platoon rampage on our European server http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/35d9bf44-282e-4c99-af3a-124f9e1776e1/RPS-UK-Community-Server/

From 7pm GMT, I will park myself on the server like some heavily-armed limpet, and await other brave and possibly drunk souls to join me in running around a dying a lot. I shall very much look forward to it.

psyk
28-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Am up for that, will try and be around.

Bodge
28-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Art, I think Bodge can probably help you, I'm in Europe at the moment, so I can't access the servers, but I have a sneaky suspicion i'm an RPS server admin aswell, so if it's not sorted by the time I get back on Wednesday,I'll look into it.

I don't know if we have any admins sorted for the servers yet. We should start trying to get the player count up though so it actually gets seen by people.

Brnin8r
28-11-2011, 10:15 AM
I scheduled a event on Friday as you suggested Winstons, I hope i'll be able to kill you a couple of times.

DWZippy
28-11-2011, 10:40 AM
I should swing by. Looking forward to killing some of my brothers in arms.

Winstons
28-11-2011, 08:08 PM
I scheduled a event on Friday as you suggested Winstons, I hope i'll be able to kill you a couple of times.

Capital idea! Good show old bean. My own massive incompetence and over-zealous enthusiasm for running around like an excitable labrador will ensure you killing me will happen multiple times.

Vandelay
28-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Oh, I would be up for some of that. BF3 has kind of fallen at the wayside for me, as I've been playing Serious Sam 3 and Arkham City, as well as going back to complete AssCreed 2, so I can play my recently bought copy of AssCreed Bro. An event like this might get me back into playing.

Winstons
30-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Hello again, fellow shooters-of-mans! This is a timely reminder about my attempt to get an evenings fun-filled violent and no-doubt sweary action up and running on the RPS BF3 community server. I will be planting myself on the server at 7pm GMT this Friday, for any folks fancying this kind of shindig.

battles_atlas
06-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Anyone still playing? Would be great to a mumble squad playing on the Back to Karkland maps. Look me up if so, tag is same as here

Harmonist
16-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I've applied to join Third Platoon today, huzah!

Sparkasaurusmex
28-05-2012, 05:12 AM
What is the name of the RPS platoon(s)? Are they open enrollment?

postinternetsyndrome
08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm a member of this one: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241007594676/ Don't know if there are others.