PDA

View Full Version : Saints Row the Third: Do you like it?

Alphager
16-11-2011, 11:10 AM
It's released in most parts of the world (except UK, I think) and I'm seeing a distinct lack of threads here.

I preordered it and played 74 minutes of it (just the first two missions). I really like the gameplay, the driving and the over-the-top unrealistic stunts. Can't say I'm too fond of the over-the-top gansta-theme; it often feels like a joke for hormone crazy 14yrs-olds (which was to be expected).

Nalano
16-11-2011, 11:36 AM
In my not-so-humble opinion, it's everything GTA was supposed to be.

I can't stop giggling with glee. Taking pictures with fans one moment, calling in airstrikes on competing gangs the next. Melee is hilarious - your moves are half Jackie Chan, half Hulk Hogan, and always satisfying.

You can't take the gangsta-theme seriously at all, considering you can tweak just what your gang looks like on the streets - Ninjas? No problem! Gimps? Just fine! Bikers? Easy! And you can mix and match, too! I have Asian schoolgirls and guido clubbers fighting alongside big fat thugs. And because they come back me up every time I get bogged down, the sheer spectacle just makes me grin.

You can actually take over neighborhoods, and the effect is noticeable, palpable, and permanent, UNLIKE CERTAIN GAMES I CAN MENTION. Your cell phone occasionally rings for a defense mission, but ultimately I've never felt annoyed because, fuck, I was gonna shoot folks and blow shit up anyway! Nothing feels better than parachuting into the middle of a firefight, tackling the first person I see and stomping them flat (http://500motivators.com/plog-content/thumbs/motivate/me/large/13-cunt-punt-when-youve-had-just-about-enough-of-playing-fair.jpg), before calling in Oleg and watching cars, people, whatever fly.

The game is the epitome of stupid, hilarious fun.

Vexing Vision
16-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a high amount of interest in the game and a very low amount of time. Skyrim first, Batman next, and by that point there'll be a sale I'm looking forward to a lot!

Nalano
16-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I have a high amount of interest in the game and a very low amount of time. Skyrim first, Batman next, and by that point there'll be a sale I'm looking forward to a lot!

Between BF3, SR3 and Skyrim, I don't have any free time between now and the new year.

sabrage
16-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I have way too many open-world games to play right now (Steam says 11. Jesus.) but I'll pick it up when a decent sale rolls around.

Althea
16-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm waiting for the Game of the Year/Complete edition. THQ's attitude to DLC is irritating, and I'm not going to get a full price game only to spend that amount again on DLC.

Drake Sigar
16-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I'll probably get this for Christmas along with Driver San Fran and Deus Ex. Still busy with Skyrim and Unwritten Tales.

You can't take the gangsta-theme seriously at all, considering you can tweak just what your gang looks like on the streets - Ninjas? No problem! Gimps? Just fine! Bikers? Easy! And you can mix and match, too! I have Asian schoolgirls and guido clubbers fighting alongside big fat thugs. And because they come back me up every time I get bogged down, the sheer spectacle just makes me grin.
Ah, but can you recreate the Baseball Furies?

Nalano
16-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Ah, but can you recreate the Baseball Furies?

For your own personal outfit, yes. Dunno about your homies, yet. They have a wide range of choice, but I've not unlocked everything.

Kadayi
16-11-2011, 01:06 PM
I must admit I'm pretty interested in this, but I'm uncertain as to whether I've got the time to invest in this given I've still got Skyrim & LA Noire to tuck into (plus BF3 still has me gripped).

The Pink Ninja
16-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Intrested but saving money for sales and if I'm going to buy a brand new release it's more likely to be Skyrim, maybe even Batman and BF3.

Alphager
16-11-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm waiting for the Game of the Year/Complete edition. THQ's attitude to DLC is irritating, and I'm not going to get a full price game only to spend that amount again on DLC.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of DLC, but from the looks of it, it is not too aggravating. The current DLC consists of the Preorder-DLC (a suit, a car, a weapon), the Shark-Attack-Pack (a hat, a shotgun alternative), the invincible pack (unlocks some cheats earlier, does not add anything) and the Season-Pass (a Pre-order for the three planned mission-packs).

The cosmetic changes and the ridiculous weapons I can do without; I'm unsure if the missions are worth it.

pakoito
16-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Interesting. I'm not a big fan of DLC, but from the looks of it, it is not too aggravating. The current DLC consists of the Preorder-DLC (a suit, a car, a weapon), the Shark-Attack-Pack (a hat, a shotgun alternative), the invincible pack (unlocks some cheats earlier, does not add anything) and the Season-Pass (a Pre-order for the three planned mission-packs).

The cosmetic changes and the ridiculous weapons I can do without; I'm unsure if the missions are worth it.

If they follow the Down of War 2 scheme you'll have around 20 DLCs.

Althea
16-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Those are just the confirmed packs. The Season Pass stretches to the end of next year, I believe, and you can bet your facial hair (or lack thereof) that there'll be more. The Season Pass is almost half the price of the game as it stands, and I dread to think what the rest will cost collectively.

It's been confirmed that Saints Row the Third will have 40 weeks of DLC. 40 weeks. I'm sure some will be free, some will be paid for, but that's ridiculous.

sabrage
16-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I miss expansion packs. Alternatively: I hate that game makers have learned how to prey on humanity's compulsive habits.

westyfield
16-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Same. It's annoying, because SR3 looks brilliant, but at the same time it's for the best - as it is I have far too many games and not nearly enough time.

The Innocent
16-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm enjoying it, but I've only played a couple hours. Which frankly, is a strength right now. Whenever I open Skyrim, I've checked out for a few hours. SR3 is much easier for me to play-and-stop. Add to that the fact that it's a riot, and I'm quite happy.

Bobtree
16-11-2011, 05:27 PM
16 hours in and still having a lot of fun. It's basically a modern GTA without the downtime. It isn't very deep, and I'm not fond of the super-close viewpoint/FOV or endless hint popups, but there's lots to do and tons of stuff to unlock and upgrade. I can now phone up a tank or attack heli or summon gang followers like my own private army. I haven't found a way to fast travel, but it's very considerate in some respects, like the map upgrade to show collectibles or the option to teleport to land anytime you fall in water. There are some bugs (I hijacked a vehicle and died instantly a couple times), but nothing serious.

CuriousOrange
16-11-2011, 06:22 PM
In my opinion Saints Row is everything GTA shouldn't be. It's like they played it and missed the point. It's not about dildo's and fart jokes. There is no downtime, it's constant Ritalin fuelled action. Pretty numbing if you ask me.

pakoito
16-11-2011, 06:28 PM
In my opinion Saints Row is everything GTA shouldn't be. It's like they played it and missed the point. It's not about dildo's and fart jokes. There is no downtime, it's constant Ritalin fuelled action. Pretty numbing if you ask me.
GTA is about long quiet walks, cutscenes, storydriven content, high-scripted levels, being serious about your drug & gun business and feeling like Scarface.

thegooseking
16-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I remember, back when I used to read the NME, they said, "Comparing Muse to Radiohead in the 21st century is like comparing the space shuttle to one of those bus ticket machines that never work."

That's kind of how I feel about comparing Saints Row to GTA. Though I obviously haven't played SR3 yet, I'll take the word of those who have that it's even less like GTA than SR2, which wasn't much like GTA, and in turn was less like GTA than SR1, which, well, kind of was like GTA. I like Saints Row and GTA, but for so different reasons. It's meaningless to talk about which is 'better'.

Nalano
16-11-2011, 06:47 PM
GTA is about long quiet walks, cutscenes, storydriven content, high-scripted levels, being serious about your drug & gun business and feeling like Scarface.

No, no.

GTA is about bowling with your cousin, seeing strippers with your cousin, and eating burgers with your cousin.

It's meaningless to talk about which is 'better'.

No. Fuck this false equivalence bullshit. If GTA wants to be serious, then it needs to put its serious face on, because if I'm supposed to rate it by internal cohesion with all its seriousness, then it's going to have to answer for why I'm a raving goddamn psychopath in it. GTA is torn between two worlds. SR3 knows exactly what it wants to be.

lasikbear
16-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I feel like the comparison is pretty off at this point, or more really, the only reason they get compared is because they are in a relatively small genre and people like to compare shit.

Also which one was the space shuttle?

More on topic, I am trying to hold off purchasing this till I have finished Batman and achieved some arbitrary sense of completion of Skyrim.

Althea
16-11-2011, 06:55 PM
BEEG AMERICAN TEETEES.

Ahem. GTA IV/TLaD/TBoGT was a bit odd. I think it overdid the seriousness a bit too much, but I can see why it went that way. Since GTA III at least, it's always been in a strange duality. You'd have a semi-serious plotline with some funny characters, and things would be semi-serious around you, but then you'd find a funny vehicle like the Dodo. GTA: San Andreas, in my opinion, got the balance right and perfectly so, but GTA IV was noble in its intentions and in what it wanted to do, although it never quite reached them.

The problem with IV is not IV itself, it's that it came after the first Saints Row game and San Andreas. If it came after Vice City, I don't think it'd be as much of a problem, but after San Andreas? It seemed bare and almost lifeless.

But Saints Row is just pure unadulterated fun, though. It doesn't care one jot for seriousness.

Kadayi
16-11-2011, 08:20 PM
No. Fuck this false equivalence bullshit. If GTA wants to be serious, then it needs to put its serious face on, because if I'm supposed to rate it by internal cohesion with all its seriousness, then it's going to have to answer for why I'm a raving goddamn psychopath in it. GTA is torn between two worlds. SR3 knows exactly what it wants to be.

Agreed. There's a lot of terrible BS in GTA IV that just undermines any attempt to tell a story and more importantly rob the characters of any significance. The bit where you finally find that 'special someone' was risible tbh.

coldvvvave
16-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I enjoy it, but the FOV is unacceptable, I can't see anything on a 26" LCD 1920х1200.

My char is like an anime Mark Hamill.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=165124&d=1321474683

pakoito
16-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I lol'd IRL.

zookeeper
17-11-2011, 12:23 AM

They're also giving us the "opportunity" pre-order (http://store.steampowered.com/app/901805/) DLC.

I like where this is going.

TailSwallower
17-11-2011, 01:39 AM
How does it run on PC, and how many graphical options do they give us? Is it obviously hindered by being developed for consoles as well?
These are the questions I don't think I've seen anyone answer about the PC version.

Anyway, the DLC thing makes me wary, I'm trying to to spend money on games for a couple of reasons, and even if I did allow myself some more game purchases, there's going to be some big-arse sales just around the corner. I'll definitely grab SR3, but it might take me 12 or so months before I get around to it.

coldvvvave
17-11-2011, 07:37 AM
How does it run on PC, and how many graphical options do they give us?
There are plenty of graphical options and it runs ok, but sadly no Field of View slider and FOV is like 50.

I heard that SR 2 had a community FOV fix, so we may have to wait.

Is it obviously hindered by being developed for consoles as well?

Yep, SR3 has problems with interface, which is very unresponsive if you use a mouse, probably much better with a gamepad.

And even on Ultra settings, graphics are mediocre at best.

Nalano
17-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Yep, SR3 has problems with interface, which is very unresponsive if you use a mouse, probably much better with a gamepad.

I just beat it, and found it suitably responsive throughout. No mouse issues here. Now if only I could come off the sugar high from what I just experienced...

MaXimillion
17-11-2011, 08:08 AM
The game seems like it would be a blast to play, but the amount of DLC they seem to be preparing to put out puts me off the game completely. Might buy it once it's on sale with all the DLC bundled into one pack.

Alez
17-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Oh my god, that field of vision is just crazy.What is the reason for such a narrow vision? It's also third person so your character takes up way too much of the screen. It's even more annoying that i play skirim and there i can put any FOV i want with the console.

Also, i think it makes Just Cause 2 look like a serious game.

Spider Jerusalem
17-11-2011, 11:03 AM
having a great time playing co-op with a friend.

got it for ~$30 from greenman and it's well worth the coin, i don't think i've ever laughed so hard whilst doing some gaming.

oceanclub
17-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I honestly don't understand why developers don't add a FOV slider to games. It's a huge annoyance for many games, and in some cases, a deal breaker.

P.

elephant god
17-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I remember, back when I used to read the NME, they said, "Comparing Muse to Radiohead in the 21st century is like comparing the space shuttle to one of those bus ticket machines that never work."

That's kind of how I feel about comparing Saints Row to GTA. Though I obviously haven't played SR3 yet, I'll take the word of those who have that it's even less like GTA than SR2, which wasn't much like GTA, and in turn was less like GTA than SR1, which, well, kind of was like GTA. I like Saints Row and GTA, but for so different reasons. It's meaningless to talk about which is 'better'.

I'm a huge Muse fan but i see a discrepancy when comparing them to Radiohead. So which is which in your simile?

Is GTA a space shuttle? Is Saints Row Radiohead?

I just always wanted to ask questions like these.

coldvvvave
17-11-2011, 01:57 PM
ok, no, edited

westyfield
17-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Also, i think it makes Just Cause 2 look like a serious game.

Sold.10char

Daiv
17-11-2011, 05:41 PM
To make Saints Row III they fed a kid with ADD sugar and sherbet and coffee then recorded his raving. When played back at 1/10th speed it turns out he says things like:

"...and then the player should karate kick the pilot of a 747 through the windshield from the outside at 6 miles altitude while dodging burning luxury cars falling from above and there's a fight with bad guys who shoot you as you are falling and you can shoot them in the face and wrestle with them when they grab you and your gun has infinite bullets and you have to catch a girl who is falling without a parachute..."

And that is 30 seconds of gameplay and it is awesome.

Drake Sigar
17-11-2011, 05:50 PM
To make Saints Row III they fed a kid with ADD sugar and sherbet and coffee then recorded his raving. When played back at 1/10th speed it turns out he says things like:

"...and then the player should karate kick the pilot of a 747 through the windshield from the outside at 6 miles altitude while dodging burning luxury cars falling from above and there's a fight with bad guys who shoot you as you are falling and you can shoot them in the face and wrestle with them when they grab you and your gun has infinite bullets and you have to catch a girl who is falling without a parachute..."

And that is 30 seconds of gameplay and it is awesome.

Oh god, you're spoiling it for me! No wait, give me a moment...

... aaaaand done. Whatever you just said was completely replaced by a Merry Poppins disciplinary fantasy.

Daiv
17-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't worry too much, that bit happens in the first 10 minutes. It is that over-the-top and awesome.

Just wait until you get to the bit with the *redacted* and the *redacted* when you're *redacted* from the helicopter, but the *redacted* *redacted* and she *redacted* every fifteen seconds. Man, I can never look at a *redacted* the same way ever again.

There was maple syrup everywhere.

Nalano
17-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Oh god, you're spoiling it for me!

No, it's okay. New shit like that happens regularly for twenty hours.

Oh my god, I mean, when you fight *redacted* and he calls out all his *redacted* and instead of a *redacted* suddenly you get a *redacted* and shit gets real. Then you climb into the *redacted* and kick his ass *redacted*-style to the best fucking theme song ever.

And the whole series of missions where you're driving around with a *redacted* in your car and have to dodge all the crazy *redacted*

You kinda had to have been there.

Megagun
17-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Page three of this thread, and no-one has made any fun yet about that typo in the thread topic? What forum is this again? Allow me to lead by example:

Wow, Saints Rome is already on its third installment? How could I have missed the sequels to one of the best games I've ever played! Being a gladiator and kicking them low-life people in the streets of Rome was the most fun I've ever had!

Daiv
17-11-2011, 06:34 PM
The "w" is tired and laying down. I had to after playing this game too.

oceanclub
17-11-2011, 06:57 PM
On a slight tangent, on the blog comments, someone mentioned a mod that "fixes" problems in Saint's Row 2. Does anyone know what it might be?

Cheers,

P.

alset85
17-11-2011, 08:59 PM
This is what you are looking for:
http://idolninja.com/sr2.php

Alphager
17-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Page three of this thread, and no-one has made any fun yet about that typo in the thread topic? What forum is this again? Allow me to lead by example:

Wow, Saints Rome is already on its third installment? How could I have missed the sequels to one of the best games I've ever played! Being a gladiator and kicking them low-life people in the streets of Rome was the most fun I've ever had!

Argh. Sorry. I will stand in the corner and wear the cone of shame.

Nalano
18-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Pardon my squeeing, but I can't help but list the ways SR3 > GTA4. Spoilers:

- I have a gun that spawns sharks from under the pavement
- I just spent the last ten minutes streaking so as to compel a temperance league activist to come and complain so I can beat her to a pulp with a dildo
- and have beaten a guy to death with a urinal
- and have fistfighted a guy in a superhero costume while in a supervillain costume
- and have paused from running from a mob of gangsters and cops to pose for a picture from a fan
- and have fought massive firefights while civilians cheered/booed at me
- and have learned that tanks don't fly, but they're still very dangerous when they fall
- and have basejumped into a convertible after clearing my landing with an airstrike
- and have cleared out a nightclub by cuntpunching and nutshotting every single person in it, while naked and drugged
- and have driven a convertible with a live tiger in the passenger seat, running over animal rights activists
- and have chainsawed luchadores with my wrestler companion who's voiced by Hulk fucking Hogan
- and have thrown fat prostitutes from tall buildings for the hell of it

Smashbox
18-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Pardon my squeeing, but I can't help but list the ways SR3 > GTA4. Spoilers:

- and have driven a convertible with a live tiger in the passenger seat, running over animal rights activists

D:

characters

Nalano
18-11-2011, 05:02 PM
D:

characters

They were annoying the tiger

Colonel J
20-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Is this unlocked in UK now? The Gamersgate site says released Nov 17th, available from GMG also which says it requires Steam, but it hasn't appeared in the Steam store yet?

thegooseking
20-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Is this unlocked in UK now? The Gamersgate site says released Nov 17th, available from GMG also which says it requires Steam, but it hasn't appeared in the Steam store yet?

It won't appear in the Steam store because unspecified UK retailers (GAME deny it's them) are bullying THQ into not selling it on Steam. (If past record is anything to go by, it'll probably appear on the Steam store in about a month.)

So I ordered it on Amazon, and chose the option to get it on release day. At least they had the good grace to refund my postage cost without me even asking when it was delayed. But reading around, I wonder if anyone who's ever ordered something from Amazon "for release day" has actually got it on release day.

Edit: I should be clear: dispatch of my order was delayed; the game's release wasn't. To answer your question, if you have a CD key (e.g. from GamersGate) you can register it, download it, play it and patch it through Steam. The only thing you can't do is buy it through Steam.

Icarus
20-11-2011, 11:31 PM
To answer the original question: Yes. Yes, I am. I'm enjoying it enough to a) continue playing it long after I've finished the main story, and b) neglect Skyrim, a game which I'm entirely confident will win a good chunk of every Game of the Year award it's up for.

Edit: And am I entirely alone in designing my SR3 character to look as much as possible like my Commander Shephard purely because my Shep was in a street gang back on Old Earth?

Fiyenyaa
21-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Edit: And am I entirely alone in designing my SR3 character to look as much as possible like my Commander Shephard purely because my Shep was in a street gang back on Old Earth?

I can't decide if that's the best idea ever or if it's simply insanity.
Personally I've been trying to hold off on SR3 since Skyrim is still holding my attention. I'm very much looking forward to playing some co-op, though.

Nalano
21-11-2011, 12:41 AM
I can't decide if that's the best idea ever or if it's simply insanity.

Can't it be both?

coldvvvave
21-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I wish someone fixed fov.

Shane
21-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Not really liking it for now. I played it for a couple of hours and, well, it didn't really click with me. The missions are standard stuff, nothing new, the first one was alright, the second one with you jumping in a pool and giving chase on a heli was kind of meh, and the tutorial mission that explained all the activities was unreasonable length and just boring.
One thing I really dislike about the missions is that unlike, say, the missions in JC2, here the missions are divided into segments and after playing a mission for 5 minutes the black screen pops up followed by the loading screen which is like sand in the eye.

Fiyenyaa
21-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Can't it be both?

It could well be...

Alphager
21-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I wish someone fixed fov.

I haven't tested it yet, but this claims to fix it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243481

Bobtree
21-11-2011, 06:40 PM
I haven't tested it yet, but this claims to fix it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243481

I just logged in to post exactly this. Works fine for me.

I'm finding SR3 inadequate as an action game in the long term. It doesn't hold up to games like Just Cause 2 or Red Faction Guerrilla, but it's fun while it lasts. A lot of the activities are just uninteresting, and Challenges are largely crap (you don't want to car surf for 10 minutes, the first 10 seconds was more than enough), so I'm probably just going to finish the story and call it quits.

This is the part where I reminisce about the original Mercenaries and how much smarter and more fun it is than everything similar that's come out since and wonder why we can't have a PC port.

Nalano
21-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I just logged in to post exactly this. Works fine for me.

I'm finding SR3 inadequate as an action game in the long term. It doesn't hold up to games like Just Cause 2 or Red Faction Guerrilla, but it's fun while it lasts. A lot of the activities are just uninteresting, and Challenges are largely crap (you don't want to car surf for 10 minutes, the first 10 seconds was more than enough), so I'm probably just going to finish the story and call it quits.

This is the part where I reminisce about the original Mercenaries and how much smarter and more fun it is than everything similar that's come out since and wonder why we can't have a PC port.

I don't think I ever made it past the third "area" in Red Faction Guerrilla before I didn't want to play anymore. I was bored with Just Cause 2 at about 12% completion. I'm currently at 89% completion with Saints Row 3 and want to continue on.

Doesn'tmeananything
21-11-2011, 09:26 PM
But Bobtree gets bonus points because he sort of named a reason and gave an example.

To be fair, I'm inclined to agree that mechanically it's a very shallow game (on par with Just Cause 2, I think; haven't played Red Faction Guerrilla). It tries to make up for that with narrative zaniness, high volumes of novelty which is achieved by incessantly introducing new scripted sequences and just the general feeling of a fast pacing. However, 100%-ing would require tackling a fair amount of repetitiveness.

Myself, though, I've already played for 27 hours. Mostly co-op, so there's that, yet I've also somehow managed to spend a staggering amount of time visiting clothes stores, mixing and matching and making numerous outfits. Absolutely guilty of that.

Nevertheless, I can very well imagine how someone may be dissatisfied with gameplay or different wrappings thereof. I'm at 67% and definitely growing tired.

P.S. Insurance fraud is the best thing ever. And in the game.

Nalano
21-11-2011, 11:56 PM
But Bobtree gets bonus points because he sort of named a reason and gave an example.

Oh, for certain.

Tom OBedlam
22-11-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm loving it so far and I'm about 10 hours in. It is interesting seeing a lot of other games ideas 'borrowed' throughout though. Insurance fraud is great but it is just crash junction mode from Burnout, albeit with ragdoll physics.

I'm also hugely guilty of having spent a silly amount of time playing princess dress me up. I've sort of settled with one look and after two hours I realised that I had just made a sexy, violent Daria.

Nalano
22-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I've sort of settled with one look and after two hours I realised that I had just made a sexy, violent Daria.

I like mine, because what she looks like (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594702591169052223/B21DFD5F085ED3462FD22D796C0D197A0B2D066F/) and what she does (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594702591169147610/E35341604CD89CA730CDDADBD36421948A2E1B73/) is so freakin' incon (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594702591169252826/755B09DF8CD5817284B9DBDBC8B7CFABD648C34B/)gruous (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594702591169255302/2CD8F52111A4DCE60140FA264D01AD85D50E5C44/).

c-Row
22-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Hooray! Another game I won't pick up for PC because the publisher decided that I am not allowed to activate the uncut version on Steam in Germany for no legal reason whatsoever.

Nalano
22-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Hooray! Another game I won't pick up for PC because the publisher decided that I am not allowed to activate the uncut version on Steam in Germany for no legal reason whatsoever.

Aussies have the same issue upon occasion. Can't you get it gifted to you via the whole smuggling ring, or did they close that loophole?

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Ahhh. Ze Germanz.

I would suggest buying it, then pirating it. The developers get some money, and you have a fully working version, hassle free!

c-Row
22-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Aussies have the same issue upon occasion. Can't you get it gifted to you via the whole smuggling ring, or did they close that loophole?

I think gifting might still be an option. I will look into your suggestion.

[edit] Looks like that's possible. Now to find someone who might gift it to me.

Ahhh. Ze Germanz.

I would suggest buying it, then pirating it. The developers get some money, and you have a fully working version, hassle free!

I would rather get it from an official source. Pirated versions can't be trusted.

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 09:55 AM
What the hell. Where do you come from? Have you always bought your games?!

Its the official versions that cant be trusted. The international sales laws are fucking up the digital distribution. The developers are not to blame, not even the publisher is, but until there is a unified sales/consumer law, everything is just shoddy. Yes, that shack may keep you safe, but doesnt take much to make it fall apart.

There is more "honour amongst thieves" than there is in the originators. And no, I do not want to start a "OMG PIRATE IS BETTER" thread, I just find comments like these just silly.

c-Row
22-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Back in the days cracked copies were a great way to catch a virus. That's not exactly my definition of "honour".

Althea
22-11-2011, 10:33 AM
What the hell. Where do you come from? Have you always bought your games?!
You make it sound like not pirating things is some sort of weird behaviour.

Doesn'tmeananything
22-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I like mine, because what she looks like (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594702591169052223/B21DFD5F085ED3462FD22D796C0D197A0B2D066F/)...

Walking around in the default jacket (albeit slightly altered)?

FOR SHAME.

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 11:16 AM

YES.

But anyhow, am I the only one not bothered by the censoring? Here's a game with maximum violence, and even the option to play naked or whatever, but there's censoring of nudity?! What the hell? Doesn't this game have an M rating?

If I'm going to have a violent mature game, I want my violent mature games to be really mature, and not faux mature. (though I have to admit, the censoring is technically impressive, I like the fact that its a shader of the breasts/crotch, and not just an eternal black rectangle floating over it.)

Also, my character looks like a firefly character, atleast from a dress code perspective.

Doesn'tmeananything
22-11-2011, 11:23 AM
If I'm going to have a violent mature game, I want my violent mature games to be really mature, and not faux mature.

It's not really that much of a violent game, at least it shouldn't be from a standpoint of the general desensitised gamer public, and it's mature only in the sense of the rating it got. So the censoring is okay?

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 11:26 AM
It's not really that much of a violent game, at least it shouldn't be from a standpoint of the general desensitised gamer public, and it's mature only in the sense of the rating it got. So the censoring is okay?

No, because it implies that the violence is ok, BUT OH NO, NAKED BREASTS & GENITALS, which is an inherently {REDACTED} notion.

Alphager
22-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I think gifting might still be an option. I will look into your suggestion.

[edit] Looks like that's possible. Now to find someone who might gift it to me.

I would rather get it from an official source. Pirated versions can't be trusted.

Bought it from greenmangaming, got the uncensored version.

c-Row
22-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Bought it from greenmangaming, got the uncensored version.

And you could activate it on Steam without problems? Sweet! Problem solved. :)

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 02:53 PM
No, because it implies that the violence is ok, BUT OH NO, NAKED BREASTS & GENITALS, which is an inherently {REDACTED} notion.

But naked breasts and genitals are so much harder to animate. Boob-physics only work when you actually don't get to see the boobs, and let's not talk about bits that can dangle in various degrees.

Daiv
22-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I thought the heavy pixelation of nudity was more amusing than bemusing. It is clearly a deliberate choice (you don't include the Penetrator dildo-bat in a game if you're squeamish about big floppy manbits wibbling about the screen), perhaps even a deliberate commentary on the disparate weight given by society to sex as opposed to violence. Although it would have helped to PRESS (X) TO FEEL SHAME.

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Well atleast you can go streaking.

And I guess the censoring is forgivable, because it is technically well made. But still. Its a statement in itself.

Doesn'tmeananything
22-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I thought the heavy pixelation of nudity was more amusing than bemusing. It is clearly a deliberate choice (you don't include the Penetrator dildo-bat in a game if you're squeamish about big floppy manbits wibbling about the screen), perhaps even a deliberate commentary on the disparate weight given by society to sex as opposed to violence. Although it would have helped to PRESS (X) TO FEEL SHAME.

Yeah, absolutely, kind of what I was implying. In the stylistic framework of the game, however twisted that appears to be, the censoring bears a very distinct and intentional ironic quality. I see no reason to be actually bothered by it.

Boob-physics only work when you actually don't get to see the boobs, and let's not talk about bits that can dangle in various degrees.

It's worth (I guess) noting that the aforementioned female body parts are presented in the game quite overtly and in full animated capacity. Just can't have the nipples.

Tom OBedlam
22-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm an ignorant. Why is the pixelisation technically impressive?

Rauten
22-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm also hugely guilty of having spent a silly amount of time playing princess dress me up. I've sort of settled with one look and after two hours I realised that I had just made a sexy, violent Daria.

If this is the same Daria from my avatar, I demand pictures.

Nalano
22-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Walking around in the default jacket (albeit slightly altered)?

FOR SHAME.

Default for Asian female is rocker t-shirt. Plus she's wearing a pencil skirt and gogo boots.

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm an ignorant. Why is the pixelisation technically impressive?

Because of the way they did so. They declared certain polygons to have a pixelation shader, making the contour visible if you go for "sideboob", as well as look between the legs, but aside from that, it appears "prismatic".

That deserves love from me.

Still. I cant help shake the feeling that they did it to evade an even worse rating.

Nalano
22-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Still. I cant help shake the feeling that they did it to evade an even worse rating.

I think it's pure artistic direction. After all, the type of pixelization they chose is more "Japanese porn film" than "American news program."

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I think it's pure artistic direction. After all, the type of pixelization they chose is more "Japanese porn film" than "American news program."

Thats true. And like I said a number of times in this thread already, they did put a lot of effort into it.

fearlessgoat
22-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Going to have to pick this one up after reading this thread.

Alphager
22-11-2011, 09:32 PM
And you could activate it on Steam without problems? Sweet! Problem solved. :)

Yup, not one problem. And was cheaper than Steam, too. :-)

Tom OBedlam
22-11-2011, 10:35 PM
i'm trying but I can't get it to screen grab, all I'm getting a pictures of the menu :(

Nalano
22-11-2011, 10:48 PM
i'm trying but I can't get it to screen grab, all I'm getting a pictures of the menu :(

If your copy is a Steam copy, just press F12.

Thants
23-11-2011, 07:31 AM
You know what annoys me about this game? It's got a great character creator, so naturally I want to play around with it. But every time I want to make a new character and try them out a little I have to go through the whole opening mission over again.

It was cute how you do the first mission in disguise before defining your character, but I don't know why they didn't put in an auto-save right before the character creator part.

Dubbill
23-11-2011, 07:46 AM
You can change every aspect of your character at any one of the plastic surgeries, including sex, build and voice.

Nalano
23-11-2011, 07:52 AM
You can change every aspect of your character at any one of the plastic surgeries, including sex, build and voice.

Indeed, one of the missions has my tiny Asian woman going to a plastic surgeon to be turned into a hulking military man. Dudes work magic.

Mihkel
23-11-2011, 07:53 AM
You know what annoys me about this game? It's got a great character creator, so naturally I want to play around with it. But every time I want to make a new character and try them out a little I have to go through the whole opening mission over again.

It was cute how you do the first mission in disguise before defining your character, but I don't know why they didn't put in an auto-save right before the character creator part.

There are these Image as Designed stores in the game that basically are character creators. Whenever you want you can go in there, pay a bit of cash and change everything as much as you want so you don't have to play through the opening mission over and over again.

Dubbill
23-11-2011, 08:16 AM
While you're at the surgeons, I'd recommend trying out the zombie voice. I haven't understood a single word my character has said throughout the whole game*, cutscenes included. I've left subtitles off too. Hearing my character moan and gurgle his way through every conversation never fails to make me giggle.

* actually at one point he growled "I speak six languages".

Thants
23-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Ah, my mistake. I'm not very far into the game yet.

acidtestportfolio
23-11-2011, 04:13 PM
i love the shit out of this game. just when i thought 'oh, they're not going to live up to what they've been saying', suddenly weird crazy crap happens and i am giddy again. the zombie voice is great. i can't help but feel they've been holding back on us in terms of content. also quick time events and 'awesome' do not mix, seriously.

basically i feel the game has trouble keeping the awesome tone sustained and that the game itself is missing something. but when it shines, it shines like the sun.

Daiv
23-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Saints Row III is not a game you can take your time in. It's not a "hey, I'll chill over here and enjoy the dynamic city life" game. Binge on it. Embrace the crazy. The only time I take a break from doing the missions is when I feel the odd urge to do something unscripted like throwing hookers off tall buildings. I do random crazy stuff and the second I start to feel bored I dial up a story mission.

Tom OBedlam
23-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Sexy Saints Row Daria

Nalano
23-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Sexy Saints Row Daria

La la LA la la. La la LA la la.

This is my stop.

thegooseking
23-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I liked the really subtle references like how on the last mission, Gangstas in Space, the gameplay camera changes to fairly accurately imitate Mass Effect. Or how in a VTOL aircraft, you can double-tap the controller bumpers (I played with an Xbox 360 controller) to "do a barrel roll", although the game never tells you you can do this or otherwise references the meme. The dumb in-your-face references are there for the stupids, but the more subtle references are also there to prove that, for all its dumbitude, this isn't a game that underestimates its audience's intelligence.

It's kind of like what makes The Simpsons so great (or what made how The Simpsons used to be so great): enjoyable to the lowest common denominator, but with extra layers in there to satisfy the smarter viewers.

It did slightly annoy me when my character kept asking Kinsie to dumb things down for her. What? I understood all that! Although that was somewhat mitigated by the way the game handles player-avatar identification, but my thoughts on that might be a blog post rather than vomited out here.

Nalano
23-11-2011, 09:29 PM
It did slightly annoy me when my character kept asking Kinsie to dumb things down for her. What? I understood all that! Although that was somewhat mitigated by the way the game handles player-avatar identification, but my thoughts on that might be a blog post rather than vomited out here.

To be fair, all the different "accents" have different personalities, too.

Rauten
24-11-2011, 01:31 AM

Sexy Saints Row Daria

Bah, the hair is too short, and I see no black skirt in there! The grin is not pleased! [/nitpicking]

thegooseking
24-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Having an in-game link to the manual is a step above hiding the digital manual away somewhere nobody will ever find it, but it just opens the Steam browser for THQ manuals in general (it doesn't even go to the manual for the game) and then when you do navigate to the SR3 manual... well, it obstinately refused to load for me. It's also kind of worrying that THQ might stop supporting SR3, and then, though the manual will doubtless still be available on some third-party site, it won't be accessible from in-game. (Not that it even is in SR3 - you can only access it from the main menu, not the pause menu, which means you have to quit and reload if you want to look at the manual.)

So, nice idea, but if you're really dead set on the idea of not printing a paper manual (and I'm all for that in a save-the-trees kind of way, though I'm sure it's more a cost-cutting measure), then put the damn manual in the damn game. That was one thing Alice: Madness Returns got right. The only part of the manual you conceivably need outside of the game is the installation instructions and tech-support details. And they were printed on a bit of paper in the box anyway.

TailSwallower
25-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Well, if you're running the game in Steam, can't you Shift+Tab and access the manual in the Steam browser? Would at least let you access it with the game paused.

But yeah, if we're talking about multiple-gig games, then why not put the 30mb pdf file on the disc somewhere with a built-in PDF reader so that the manual is always there. Like you say, there's no reason why THQ might shut down that particular server in a couple of years, or move all their manuals without leaving a redirect in place - publishers really don't tend to think about the long tail of game sales.

thegooseking
25-11-2011, 02:44 AM
I can't access the manual from Steam because the game isn't in the UK Steam store, therefore neither is the manual. For the same reason, I can't buy the DLC season pass. All because some UK retailer decided to bully THQ into not releasing Steamworks games on Steam in the UK. Which, you know, doesn't really make me want to give retailers my money, which was presumably their intent, since they're the ones who screwed this up.

TailSwallower
25-11-2011, 02:48 AM
Ahhh, yeah, of course. I forgot about how THQ keeps getting pushed around like that. First Space Marine and now SR3. Has it been happening with any other publisher's games?

thegooseking
25-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Well, Brink wasn't on the UK Steam store for a while, so maybe Bethesda. Skyrim and Rage got onto the store immediately, though, so maybe that was a different issue or maybe it's no longer an issue. It seems odd. Sure, the fact that it's only the UK can be put down to the fact (I mean, ahem, supposition: I'm not sure we've really had it confirmed) that it's a UK retailer doing the demanding, but why only THQ?

Althea
25-11-2011, 10:03 AM
For the same reason, I can't buy the DLC season pass.
Oh, really? (http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SRTSP/saints-row-the-third-season-pass)

metalangel
25-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I made a female Drow for my first character. A colossally overweight Raoul Duke for my second. Then we met Kinsie and I decided I could make a hotter geek redhead than her... by giving her a sexy overbite and the Russian voice. The Russian voice, incidentally, is hilariously bad, and is keeping my co-op partner entertained mocking it.

The censorship thing is almost certainly deliberate. When you rescue a certain character, they're naked, and their ass isn't pixelated (though their junk is). Besides, you can just go to the shop and buy the nipple pasties (which are not very big) are make them nipple coloured, and buy a g-string and make that skin coloured. Again, I'm all but certain this is what Volition intended, by giving you a way to cleverly circumvent the censors. I did moan at first that 'hang on, LA Noire let us see the waps AND rat of a mutilated corpse!' but now I'm quite happy with the workaround which looks sufficiently nekkid for me.

The game itself seems a little too streamlined for its own good, but it seems you have to do the entire first gang's worth of story missions before you've got access to everything again. Also, the very first thing we did upon arriving in Steelport was steal cars for the garage. This irritated the police, who sent FBI, who we stole, who sent SWAT trucks, which we stole, which sent the tanks. The tanks are an absolute godsend for the survival missions.

QuantaCat
25-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I just found a nude mag without pixelation somewhere anyway, so I retract all complaints.

Also, getting a gangmember deliver a tank is pure awesome.

xxx
09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes i like it
now you tell us that you like it ?
"I recently learned something quite interesting about video games. Many young people have developed incredible hand, eye, and brain coordination in playing these games. The air force believes these kids will be our outstanding pilots should they fly our jets."

DigitalSignalX
10-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Feeling guilty for not posting to this thread yet, but SR3 is positively awesome. Agree that it's silly on top, but there are layers. Also many thanks for the POV mod. To repay the favor, here's the mod for BEEG AMERICAN TEETAAAYS (https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/index.php?threads/sr-tt-nude-shaved-by-me-marc383.88/) without any puns about being over the top or peeling away layers.

My favorite moment in the game is the "confession" each player voice gets during the final mission. Priceless.

Mihkel
10-12-2011, 02:49 AM
I really liked the game despite it had some very crucially missing parts in it (story- and coopwise). For me the game had one of the best endings in a videogame to date.

Roufuss
17-01-2012, 09:57 PM
So the first DLC comes out today -- Genkibowl VII.

Apparently its just four activities that range in difficulty from easy to medium, two cutscenes and some new skins / vehicles / homies. I'm personally going to be skipping it I think, as it sounds like the usual Volition trash DLC, but I'm just wondering if anyone here had played it yet?

It also seems that the activities are just tweaks on currently existing ones, as well.

DigitalSignalX
17-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I have kept SR3 installed with the knowledge that someday I would return to it with either (more) mods or more DLC, but I don't think that time has come yet.

Caleb367
18-01-2012, 12:00 AM
My 2c: Goddamn game of the year and yes, I'm a Skyrim junkie. Never ever seen anything so over-the-toppingly awesome and fun. Plot is well written AND ridiculous; memorable characters (you don't love Zimos, you're a sick individual); toybox-y freedom, in the 9-year-old "what if He Man and Megatron team up to destroy Lego City with a dinosaur gun" way; awesome soundtrack and just plays like a dream. A drug fueled dream, but a dream nonetheless. Damn, I just finished the whole campaign for the third time in a row (pun intended) and already I have an itch to begin anew for the fourth time. The one thing lacking from SR3, in my opinion, is a custom radio like GTA 4's.

ColOfNature
18-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Just completed the game today and I'm seriously considering starting over, it's that much fun. I never do that.

Tei
18-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I think is a game good for coop. As singleplayer It was not very fun for me.

DigitalSignalX
18-01-2012, 12:29 AM
There is a convoluted way to insert your own music by editing your tracks to match the same playback quality as theirs and swapping game files / renaming so the engine is none the wiser for playing different tracks. Not worth the effort frankly when you can just run winamp on your desktop and turn the radio off in your car.

Bungle
18-01-2012, 01:53 AM
It's a fun game and I like how they went out of their way to constantly mix things up and introduce new types of gameplay, but the game engine still needs work. The audio for the cars is terrible. Drive in a straight line at a constant speed and the car will still sound like it's shifting every few seconds. The car physics are worse than the old NFS games. The helicopter flight model is very disappointing. All these things detract immensely from the sandbox aspect for me.

Alex Bakke
18-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Yes, I like it.

Rauten
18-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Just played the GenkiBowl DLC with a friend, and it's... interesting. It's nothing mayor, just 4 activities, each has 2 instances, with some extra voicework, 2 cutscenes, and heaps of money to be made in the final activity.

It is rather short, though, took us about an hour to do it all, but it was good random fun, and it does unlock a few interesting things (the yarn ball is pretty damn epic) that you can use for open play.

Still, the big question: is it worth 5.50€? I'd have to say no. Way too short, only buy it if you really love SR3 and it's randomness and are willing to cough up a bit of cash for a bit of even more randomness and what I think could be considered a SR version of "Katamari Damacy".

Nalano
18-01-2012, 03:13 AM
and what I think could be considered a SR version of "Katamari Damacy".

I still want a Katamari Damacy PC port.

Rauten
18-01-2012, 03:28 AM
I still want a Katamari Damacy PC port.

So do I, though "The Wonderful End of the World" (http://store.steampowered.com/app/15500/) does a somewhat decent job at scratching that particular itch.

Nalano
18-01-2012, 03:30 AM
So do I, though "The Wonderful End of the World" (http://store.steampowered.com/app/15500/) does a somewhat decent job at scratching that particular itch.

The six year old in me looks at that and screams out, "It's just not the saaaame!"

Rauten
18-01-2012, 03:36 AM
The six year old in me looks at that and screams out, "It's just not the saaaame!"

Hence the "somewhat decent" job. I still had fun with it, though the lack of funding and resources does show. A LOT.

Nalano
18-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Speaking of rolling balls around,

SEXY KITTEN YARNGASM

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595833494687902213/EB6D332783DE4FD22AB84975D750163B1F4E77B1/