PDA

View Full Version : The nights close in and ALL THE GAMES COME OUT! - What are your strategies

Cooper
16-11-2011, 05:41 PM
What are you going to wait for a sale for, wait longer for, what might you end up missing entirely?

Me, I'm going to wait 6, maybe 9 months, maybe even a year before I play Skyrim.
Because of the wonderous possibilities in mods, obviously.

Saint Row: 3 will be a 'wait for the DLC GOTY pack' in the New Year for me.

Batman will be played. Even if it's not as tight, I can at least be certain it will -end-. The problem with Skyrim or SR3 is that I can see so many hours being lost. I can't imagine that, even if City is larger than Asylum, I will be sinking dozens and dozens of hours into it.

Red Orchestra 2 is being skipped. I love the idea of it so much, and it sounds, apart from rough edges, pretty good. It seems to get across the scared-shitness and 'is that an enemy' and 'did I kill that sniper and is it safe to run or should I wait' etc. of infantry war. But I still have TF2, and I got stung by Brink (which I enjoyed but which very quickly lost all of its players and so I couldn't find a decent game) and am not certain RO2 won't have the same problem.

Anno 2070 may be a wait for the expansion, but I'll probably cave in.

I am dreading the Steam Xmas sale. But that's because I have an inability to not buy games I want when they're only the price of a bloody pint (well, a pint in London at least)

sabrage
16-11-2011, 06:18 PM
With every new release, I always tell myself that I'm going to wait for it to go on sale (Skyrim was a rare exception for me.)

The problem with this strategy is that something's always on sale. I've cut down a lot now that I don't have nearly as much expendable income, but those bundles get me every time.

flukie
16-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I bought them all, just gonna play them when I want but they were all steals IMO. Although I still have way too many unplayed steam games.

mike2R
16-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Basically play Skyrim, and hope once I've done with that everything else will be cheaper... Saints Row 3 looks very interesting, but I'm telling myself that I can live without it for a while. Anno may break me though...

squareking
16-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a *staggering* number of unfinished games on Steam, so I'll be viewing the sale from afar and hopefully not buying anything. At the moment, I'm a bit interested in Fallout 3 so I can attempt a Lonely-as-a-Musroom-Cloud-style playthrough. Also Serious Sam 3 (if it's released this year), Hard Reset, Deus Ex:HR if they're discounted enough.

I need help.

vinraith
16-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm not exactly feeling crowded by the fall release season, to be honest. Skyrim will be brilliant, but it's always best to wait for the community to fix these kinds of games. I'll probably pick it up at Christmas (to support Bethesda) but won't really get around to playing it until sometime next year at best.

Saints Row 3 isn't particularly appealing (the comparisons to Just Cause 2 are reason enough to avoid it IMO, to say nothing of the Tim and Eric ad), and neither is Batman (I truly hate boss fights).

Anno 2070 is probably another Christmas gift/purchase, and that one I might play as soon as I get it. Until then, I'm still playing games from the backlog and studiously avoiding purchasing anything just because it's cheap. If I can get through the Christmas sale having bought nothing or next to nothing I'll be terribly pleased with myself.

westyfield
16-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Gonna wait until DLC-complete, GOTY editions of Batman, Skyrim and Saints Row 3 are out. I've got plenty of games to be getting on with anyway. DX3 (barely started), BF3 and RO2 (must play more multiplayer), Shogun 2 (haven't even finished the tutorials), Bioshock (unfinished), Red Faction: Guerilla, Metro 2033, Oblivion, Zeno Clash (all unstarted) and so many more.