PDA

View Full Version : Again - Help with boot time

slick_101
16-11-2011, 09:49 PM

seriously. Somebody help me. I already run registry cleaners every week, and I do a Disk defrag the first of every month. 4:45 minutes is just stupid....

pakoito
16-11-2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niU4qb8EnM4

pakoito
16-11-2011, 09:52 PM
No but seriously, uninstall avast (180 sec!), use avira instead.

slick_101
16-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Okay, so I've switched to avira and its cut off 1:30 off my boot time. now..... Do I also delay it? or should I leave it run on boot up? Because if I delay it I can cut my boot time by another minute.... which would be very nice. but is that a bad idea due to boot viruses and the like?

pakoito
16-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Okay, so I've switched to avira and its cut off 1:30 off my boot time. now..... Do I also delay it? or should I leave it run on boot up? Because if I delay it I can cut my boot time by another minute.... which would be very nice. but is that a bad idea due to boot viruses and the like?Never delay antivirus. 3:30 is pretty ok for boot on hard disk with lotsa stuff. In any computer without soluto you'd think it's already booted when there's still shit loading, but Soluto makes you paranoid.

soldant
16-11-2011, 11:25 PM
You want a drastic reduction in boot times? Get an SSD. I know they're not cheap but there's only so much you can do with a HDD.

Never delay antivirus
Actually it probably can be delayed, a lot of virus scanners simply eat up resources when the threat is low (unless this is a corporate computer... different story then). I haven't had resident AV protection for years and haven't had a virus.

pakoito
16-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I haven't had resident AV protection for years and haven't had a virus.You haven't *found* it :p

Alex Bakke
17-11-2011, 10:26 AM
If you want the best virus protection - Microsoft Security Essentials, and Spybot Search-and-destroy. That's all you need.

pakoito
17-11-2011, 01:31 PM
If you want the best virus protection - Microsoft Security Essentials, and Spybot Search-and-destroy. That's all you need.

Kind of ironic that Microsoft sells the best anti-virus for their system, right?

mrpier
17-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Registry cleaners are pretty pointless for fixing performance issues, you'll probably use more time downloading/setting it up/running it than you'll ever earn in faster boot times or other performance gains.

slick_101
17-11-2011, 05:13 PM
mmmhmm Well so far after doing a major clean up its stayed around the 3 minutes mark. Now; about SSD's, I am very tempted to get one, but I'm also tempted to get a hybrid SSD/HDD does anybody have any experience with them?

Kamikaze-X
17-11-2011, 07:19 PM
a hybrid SSD/HDD is just an SSD with a HDD attached....

utterly pointless.

Much more useful would be a screenshot of your msconfig startup list.

that is FAR too long for a boot from a hard disk, unless you are running on a sempron or celeron from, like, 2003.

soldant
18-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Kind of ironic that Microsoft sells the best anti-virus for their system, right?
Not particularly, to be the best all you need to do is just have a decent detection rate without bringing the system to a crawl, something few others manage to actually do properly.

Now; about SSD's, I am very tempted to get one
No hybrids, get a proper SSD. They're not prohibitively expensive these days, and they do make a significant difference. 64GB at a bare minimum, 120GB if you can afford it. Keep important apps and games that you want to load quickly on it, and bang; you win.

Alex Bakke
18-11-2011, 11:43 AM

They don't sell it - It's free.

pakoito
18-11-2011, 12:17 PM
They don't sell it - It's free.*Markets.

Whatever. Instead of making his software more secure they have to release a second application to "eat away" other people's market. And knowing MS that same app would have extra privileges and knowledge of the system over the competence.

Alex Bakke
18-11-2011, 05:24 PM
*Markets.

Whatever. Instead of making his software more secure they have to release a second application to "eat away" other people's market. And knowing MS that same app would have extra privileges and knowledge of the system over the competence.

They'd be pretty shit if they *didn't* sell a product that was better than the 'leading brand'.

slick_101
18-11-2011, 07:12 PM
well, I've had a bit of a fiddle with the MSconfig start up, I had already turned steam, origin, iTunes, and well loads of stuff off from booting the stuff I have really left alone is the windows services bit, which I'm scared to touch to be frank. I've already suffered from 2 hard drive failures in the last 2 years and I really don't want to have to start from scratch again.

soldant
19-11-2011, 12:31 AM
News flash: OS developer makes program suited for their own OS. Haven't Apple been doing that since forever, as well as including all sorts of software which Microsoft would suffer an anti-trust lawsuit over? Talk about double standards. Also Windows is reasonably secure, but given its market share it's always going to be the number one target for attacks. You can't protect against every single possible threat and user action.