PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 Surround Sound

DaftPunk
17-11-2011, 01:17 PM
So what games do support 5.1 surround sound,i know for Bioshock and Bad Company 2.

What else ?

Grizzly
17-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Every game that has EAX or any other form of Hardware sound, and... well
Honestly, I can not name any game that does not have it.

Vandelay
17-11-2011, 08:03 PM
As a 5.1 surround sound user, it is usually fairly shitty in games. When lying on my bed (rear speakers underneath) watching a film, it is great. However, sitting at my desk playing a game makes the rear speakers far too quiet. Turning the character away from a sound source makes it far too mute, whilst background sound is very distant. I don't know whether this is my lack of sound card, cheap speakers (Logitech X-530s) or just not being positioned correctly, but gaming isn't improved much. Can highly recommend them if you watch a lot of films on your computer though.

celt
17-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Your problem, Vandelay, is solved by some speaker calibration. There are various methods available, but ultimately it requires adjusting the volume of the individual speakers so that they *do* represent the virtual environement.

My report is that 5.1 tremendously improves the gaming experience.

Grizzly
17-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't know whether this is my lack of sound card,
That might be it - Check your audio settings (You probably have Realtek HD audio, try and get drivers for those)
Having a decent sound card greatly improves the sound experience, even when using headphones. I just got an SoundBlaster today and I am very happy with it.

Vandelay
17-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I do have the balance on the rear speakers set as high as it will go, with little improvement. I believe it is down to speakers themselves, as they were quite cheap. There doesn't seem to be many 5.1 setups for around 100 or so.

Grizzly
18-11-2011, 07:46 AM
There is a 5.1 headset that costs 100 euro's or so, and I have seen speaker sets which were cheaper then that.

Vandelay
18-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Exactly, there are ones cheaper. That isn't the issue. These would be just as good as what I have. The problem is that there are no 5.1 speakers that seem to be around 100-150, which would likely be quite a step up from my X-530 (which, by the way, do have very good sound quality and have a meaty sub, it is only the rear speakers sound level that is an issue.) If I want something that is a notable improvement worthy of upgrading to, I would need to spend a fair bit over 200.

Edit: On headsets, I personally do not find headphones very comfortable, particularly over long periods of time. I also watch a lot of films on my computer, where using speakers is much more practical.

sabrage
18-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I understand that the economy is going down the drain, but you can't buy a $70 5.1 system and then say it's "fairly shitty." With audio, you generally get what you pay for (though there are companies like Bose, where you get significantly less.)

As far as your predicament... The Logitech Z506 was originally a $100 system, filling in for the now discontinued X-540. I can't really speak for its quality vs the X-530, but my assumption is that the step up in sound is very incremental. And after that, the best options are going to be in the $200 range (sorry about the currency disparity, but pricing seems to be roughly equivalent.) The upshot of this is that you'll be able to step out of the kiddie pool and start thinking about respected audio brands like Onkyo, Polk Audio, and Sony or upstarts like Fluance and Energy Take. Logitech is really a jack-of-all-trades type of company, and in my opinion their audio department is where their weaknesses show through the most. I'll warn you now though, if you're generally pretty happy with what you have now, it might be best to stick with it. At least personally, performance audio has been a bit of an expensive hobby and it's a slippery slope when you start to get real critical.

Edit: I guess I didn't really consider the receiver issue; I have no idea if you'd be able to plug third-party speakers into your X-530 woofer or if you'd need to buy a separate unit. If you did, unless you can find a local deal, expect to double that 200 unless you buy a unit with an integrated amp.