PDA

View Full Version : Crysis 2 Multiplayer?

sabrage
18-11-2011, 06:42 AM
My recent foray with Far Cry (well-documented in several threads) reinvigorated my interest in Crytek games. I played the first Crysis when it came out, but I have to admit that I pirated it. As I soon learned, I have pretty much zero investment in pirated games, so I quickly got bored and moved on. I understand that the arc of the game suffers basically the same problems as Far Cry did (I think I stopped playing right around the time the aliens first showed up) so I'm wont to go through that shit again. However, Jim's WIT on Crysis 2 was rather enthusiastic, and it's pretty cheap these days so I've been considering giving it a go. (there's also the not-insignificant fact that I can actually run it now) I feel like the game got lost in the shuffle of bigger games, the optimization debacle and loud complaints of "consolization" (now fixed) so I really have no idea what the state of the multiplayer is. Are people still playing this game? Is the multiplayer any good? Is Crytek still showing support for it, or are there some glaring bugs still unresolved?

Jockie
18-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Hrm, I wasn't keen on the MP at release. Sort of like COD with superpowers, but worse gunplay and added fiddlyness (in energy management). Obviously, the suit does allow for some pretty cool moments, but a lot of the time it ends up as one of those games where as soon as you kill someone, the enemy team spots you and then usually you'll die too.

SirKicksalot
18-11-2011, 05:36 PM
It's a very clumsy multiplayer game. An obvious COD clone - except that it's slow, the suit is a pain in the ass, the maps are shit and the netcode and hit detection are FUBAR. Pretty much everyone except hackers bailed out in the first weeks. Don't buy it for MP.

Kelron
18-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I like it, and totally disagree that it's clumsy. The maps are well designed to encourage use of the suit, and turns the otherwise generic manshoot multiplayer into something I enjoy. You can pull off a lot of neat tricks using the suit powers, and they give you a genuine edge over the people who think they're playing Call of Duty and never cloak or jump. There's also some very good game modes, like Assault where the attacking team is nanosuit equipped but only has pistols, while the defenders have automatic weapons but no suits.

I don't know if there's still an active community, which is the biggest problem with any FPS that isn't Battlefield or CoD.

Vandelay
18-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Agree completely Kelron. "Obvious CoD clone - except that it's slow"? Seriously? Definitely felt faster paced the way I played it, particularly with the quite nice movement system that the suit gave you. I would have said "Obvious CoD clone - except it is entertaining."

I didn't put an incredible amount of time into it, but I certainly enjoyed what I did play of it.