PDA

View Full Version : Terribly Moderated Forums / Your Worst Forum Experiences

R-F
18-11-2011, 09:40 AM
What is the most poorly moderated forums you've came across? What's the worst experience you've had of forum moderation?

I think this'll be a useful way of warning people away from "issue" forums.

The thing that's sparked this thread off is a run in with the MMORPG.com forum moderators. For those of you that don't know, MMORPG.com is the biggest MMO review / forum site on the 'net, essentially. It is, quite literally, massively online. :p I ended up starting up the Steam group etc, before getting tired of being the lone moderator of the group and so handed it off to someone else and left.

MMORPG.com's forum moderators are unpaid volunteers, usually promoted from forum members with good post counts and records. They're usually placed in charge of the forum they most posted on (meaning fans of games get to moderate those same forums), leading to some heavy bias towards certain viewpoints / users.

Just yesterday, I posted an effective summary of the current EA controversy (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4552953#4552953). Within a few moments, people were there posting the usual EA / Bioware fanboy bullstuff that you see on these forums. I was able to effectively ignore it until someone basically said that I and RPS were liars (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4552965#4552965). This user regularly posts stuff that would get anyone else permanently banned from the forums, and only his veterancy and (I assume) friendship with moderators keeps him from getting banned.

I told him to read the articles instead of posting his ignorant opinion. This post was deleted and I got an instant warning for "trolling" (which isn't at all true, since it'd be flaming, but whatever). On the next page he posted, essentially, exactly the same thing (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4553058#4553058), except now he was being pedantic and saying that you couldn't get banned from the BioWare forums for saying e-peen. He'd obviously gave the articles a cursory glance and then chose to post his usual bullshit.

I replied along the lines of, "Wow, well done on completely ignoring the point and still posting. I'm genuinely impressed with you" and got instantly banned.

The thing with the MMORPG.com forums isn't that they've got terrible moderation that I'd expect of a teeny tiny forum with hair trigger bans over moderator's opinions. It's the fact they've got that terrible moderation and applied it to a massive forum. This site where thousands of people post per day has some of the worst moderation I've ever seen, and it never fails to amaze me the site is still alive despite this.

What about you all? Do you have stories of nepotism and naughtiness? Moderators banning you for being grammatically incorrect? Did you use a ~ and someone instantly called you a weeaboo and got banned for it? Come on, I know you ALL have these stories.

QuantaCat
18-11-2011, 10:07 AM
First of all, I replied already but the forums spazzed and it was deleted.

Secondly, this doesnt belong here, should be in offtopic or rps forum discussion thing.

Thirdly, I take things like this with a grain of salt, especially coming from you, R-F, as you were tempbanned only a couple of months ago for good reason. You cant let go of something, and generally reply in a headstrong and silly manner in case someone doesnt want to see your point of view.

Fourthly, my "warning" experience was at REDuser.net, a digital cinema camera brand user site, where I sparked a flame war because in my post to offer my services as a Digital Imaging Technician (look it up), I asked if anyone had bad experiences like one I heard of. Apparently it wasnt long enough ago, and the people that were "accused" of the things that the story said (wasnt really accusatory) started flaming against some company, which then the supporters of replied, anyhow it was ugly, I had it deleted because I dont care for flame wars against anyone.

R-F
18-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Secondly, this doesnt belong here, should be in offtopic or rps forum discussion thing.

There's far more tenuous things here.

Thirdly, I take things like this with a grain of salt, especially coming from you, R-F, as you were tempbanned only a couple of months ago for good reason. You cant let go of something, and generally reply in a headstrong and silly manner in case someone doesnt want to see your point of view.

The thread's still there, if you want to read it. Read it and wonder what I'd have to say to get legitimately banned.

Drake Sigar
18-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Some of those commenters have apparently never heard of consumer laws because they flat out say "if you sign a virtual contract, you must abide by it." Utter rubbish of course. But more frightening is the general acceptance that there are Syndicate style gaming companies amongst us who have the power of a government.

I've been pretty lucky on forums. There's been the odd ban for repeating 'gay' (we were having a discussion on sexuality) and the moderator decided the word itself was taboo rather than the context it was used in.

R-F
18-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Some of those commenters have apparently never heard of consumer laws because they flat out say "if you sign a virtual contract, you must abide by it." Utter rubbish of course. But more frightening is the general acceptance that there are Syndicate style gaming companies amongst us who have the power of a government.

Yeah, it fucking terrifies me completely. I'm just a bit glad most of them seem to be American.

Rii
18-11-2011, 11:01 AM
All of the forums that I've been banned from are terribly and overzealously moderated. It's the impulse to power, I guess.

QuantaCat
18-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it fucking terrifies me completely. I'm just a bit glad most of them seem to be American.

Why does that make you glad? because theyre not near you or what? (just to clarify we're not going for nationalism here :D)

Also, I didnt check out the thread because your question was if we had experiences like the one you described, not if they are really stupid or not. I just wanted to point out my feeling towards the topic as I thought it was relevant.

R-F
18-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Why does that make you glad? because theyre not near you or what? (just to clarify we're not going for nationalism here :D)

Also, I didnt check out the thread because your question was if we had experiences like the one you described, not if they are really stupid or not. I just wanted to point out my feeling towards the topic as I thought it was relevant.

Because if they were English then it'd be much more likely that my rights are going to be lost. I couldn't care less about America.

jp0249107
20-11-2011, 03:55 PM
...*sniff*...and I could care less about GB! *runs off crying*

Fumarole
20-11-2011, 03:56 PM
The Steam forums are an absolute nightmare. I also find RPGCodex to be so, to a slightly lesser degree.

Edit - I suppose I should clarify. The Steam forums shit status should be obvious to any who has visited, RPGCodex's not least because of moderators openly bragging about pirating games that they then slag off. Classy, that.

Wizardry
20-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I also find RPGCodex to be so, to a slightly lesser degree.
Why?

10char

Unaco
20-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I haven't seen anything really positive, or productive ever from the RPGCodex. It just seems to be a place for people to insult and denigrate others. I haven't had much experience with it though... the prolific use of f*g and other childish insults doesn't really induce in-depth reading.

Wizardry
20-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I haven't had much experience with it though...
I can tell.

Fumarole
20-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Why?

10charSee above.

Although, now that I think about it more, I believe it was a writer for the site in the specific case I am thinking of, as it was in an RSS feed that I read about the brazen piracy, not a forum moderator as I said. Although my experiences in the forums were largely as described by Unaco. "As above, so below" as the saying goes.

Unaco
20-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Just had a little more of a scan around on RPGCodex... chose 15 or so forum thread pages at random. On average 3 uses of the word f*g on each, some anti-semitism, someone posts an opinion that doesn't seem to toe the line ("Skyrim isn't an RPG, but isn't as bad as I expected") and they're immediately accused of Trolling or Sockpuppetry. They also seem to be really hung up on graphics, which seems really odd for a community dedicated to RPG's (where graphics aren't that important)... seem to be awfully intent on Skyrim's shadows not being the best.

Wizardry
20-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Just had a little more of a scan around on RPGCodex... chose 15 or so forum thread pages at random. On average 3 uses of the word f*g on each, some anti-semitism, someone posts an opinion that doesn't seem to toe the line ("Skyrim isn't an RPG, but isn't as bad as I expected") and they're immediately accused of Trolling or Sockpuppetry. They also seem to be really hung up on graphics, which seems really odd for a community dedicated to RPG's (where graphics aren't that important)... seem to be awfully intent on Skyrim's shadows not being the best.
I think that's because they know that next-gen games are all about graphics at the expense of gameplay. They then feel entitled to moan about how bad the graphics are in places. I see nothing wrong with that.

Also, about the accusations of trolling, chances are it is actually is a troll. A lot of the shitty members create alts every day to cause mischief. Without understanding their posting styles it's difficult for you to judge who is and isn't a troll.

Unaco
20-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I think that's because they know that next-gen games are all about graphics at the expense of gameplay.

But they aren't.

BobsLawnService
20-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I've only ever been given grief by moderators when I've deserved it. I've given up on a few forums after they've become toxic though. Most forums get to the point where people with desenting opinions are hounded out and things become a negative feedback loop. RPG Codex is one of them, I also think this is why Wizardry xhooses to come here an annoy people, there is nobody else to discuss different things with at RPG Codex because everyone there is completely closed minded and anti-social. After a while when you have the same core group of people on a forum slapping each other on the back and telling each other how their forum is the best and everyone else sucks you may as well close it down.

No forums are immune and I guess that eventually the RPS forums will turn into that as well. Until then I'll stick around.

Re-reading this I'm surprised at how sociopathic it sounds.

For now I'll just enjoy RPS.

Edit: Wizardry's comment about "shit posters" pretty much sums it up nicely. Anyone who disagrees with the opinion of the majority on the forum instantly becomes a troll and shit poster and they get drowned out by the likes of Wizardry. That shit is toxic.

Wizardry
20-11-2011, 04:43 PM
But they aren't.
That's the popular opinion on the Codex, and most likely the opinion of those people bitching about the graphics. Your thoughts on the matter are completely irrelevant to the topic.

Okami
20-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Why?

10char

The amount of casual racism, sexism, homophobia and antisemitism found in an average RPG Codex thread is, quite frankly, terrifying. They seem to hate everything and have to loudly proclaim so, mostly by using insults that involve the things stated above. Anyone trying to make money is a jew, everyone who's not as harcore as they percieve themselves to be is a fag or gay, etc.. And the moderators never do anything about it, in fact they're usually the most vocal in using these terms.

Keep
20-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Jeez Unaco. It's beyond question that rpgcodex is a fine example of webforuming. Just because there are

shitty members

A lot of
whom post just

to cause mischief
doesn't mean anything against it. I mean, so what that

it's difficult
for someone browsing the forum

to judge who is and isn't a troll
does that mean the place is somehow "BAD"? Get off your high horse, bucko. Why are you even trying to argue this over? It's obvious as is.

Wizardry
20-11-2011, 04:51 PM
The amount of casual racism, sexism, homophobia and antisemitism found in an average RPG Codex thread is, quite frankly, terrifying. They seem to hate everything and have to loudly proclaim so, mostly by using insults that involve the things stated above. Anyone trying to make money is a jew, everyone who's not as harcore as they percieve themselves to be is a fag or gay, etc.. And the moderators never do anything about it, in fact they're usually the most vocal in using these terms.
Of course the moderators do nothing about it. Free speech is an important part of the culture over there. Moderators only ever really punish spammers. People may be racist or homophobic, but the forum is made up of a wide range of people including a sizeable transsexual contingent.

Nullkigan
20-11-2011, 04:57 PM
"Free speech" is the protection from government sanction for voicing or otherwise expressing opinions concerning the government. It is not, and never has been, in any part of the world, a carte blanche to freely insult or disrespect other individuals. The official stance on which is that it can be resolved amongst individuals. The fact that RPGCodex engages in such derogatory comments as a matter of course has nothing to do with "Free speech" and everything to do with sycophantry and anti-intellectualism.

The solution to which, for most users of the internet, is to ignore the place. Which is why such vitriol is arises when people try to use the place as an example of anything other than what it is.

(Expecting this post to appear on RPG codex and be picked apart as if my disgust at their behaviour is somehow wrong)

Wizardry
20-11-2011, 05:01 PM
The solution to which, for most users of the internet, is to ignore the place. Which is why such vitriol is arises when people try to use the place as an example of anything other than what it is.
Yeah. It's such a terrible place that Obsidian developers frequently browse the forum.

hamster
20-11-2011, 05:08 PM
... but the forum is made up of a wide range of people including a sizeable transsexual contingent.

Wow.

tenasintenasintenchars

Nalano
20-11-2011, 05:14 PM
The way I see it, having been prolific in a great number of forums, there's plenty of ways to have bad moderation.

The Giant Mess (aka the Corporate Method)
Ex. Blizzard Forums, Steam Forums

The kind of forums where you have a strong word filter and far too few actual moderators paying attention to endless floods of talk and backtalk. These become useless in popular forums (like general forums) because that's where all the mods kill threads left and right except for a few 500-page monstrosities, and become dens of trolls in niche forums because, due to the overload and lack of staffing, only reported posts get seen - and always out of context, because they don't read threads - and as such to create a semblance of proper policing, the few people they do punish they hit with a ton of bricks.

You're likely to get permabanned for cursing after being baited by a guy who's cleverly insulted your parentage, place of birth and educational attainment using florid language.

The Giant Clique
Ex. No Mutants Allowed

The mods have been in charge of this "community" since before you were born, and the average poster has 3,500 posts. Nobody discusses the topic at hand because they did so four years ago and are sick of you bringing it up again. God forbid that you should try to enter their warrens of arcane errata - or worse, present an opinion the moderators don't like - because the regulars will pounce on you like a ton of bricks long before the moderator gets around to booting you.

You're likely to get permabanned for defending your on-topic point against a moderator.

The Troll Pen
Ex. RPG Codex

Mods? We don't need no steenkin mods! Our natural acerbity wins the day!

You're not likely to get permabanned, but why would you bother?

Heliocentric
20-11-2011, 05:15 PM
My God, this thread. Definitely.

jryan
Pretty much any forum on the internet that gets too political ends up being a nightmare. Sports, Gaming, comedy.. it doesn't really matter, they all turn in to piles of shit. The reason I find is that people can't seem to separate politics and the subject at hand very well, and suddenly two people who agree on everything related to sports, gaming, comedy are at each others throats over the others stance on government fiscal policy.

Keep
Free speech is an important part of the culture over there.

Go over there and make a contrarian statement. Not a rude one, just an unusual one. See what response you'll get. I don't think it'll be one that'll display a culture of free speech.

So you can say "Jew" or "Fag". So what? It's baby-talk to equate that with free speech. Free speech isn't about "I can express what words I like". Free speech is about "I can express what IDEAS I like".

The type of speech you're defending is a sham of freedom. It promotes intolerance of ideas behind a claim of being tolerant of words. What the words are promoting moreover, is an even further intolerance of other ideas.

"Free speech is an important part of the culture". You really believe that?

SirKicksalot
20-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Gamespot has some of the worst mods and rules. They're trying very hard to keep it as clean as possible to the point where you can't start a thread dealing with Nazis or homosexuals because those words are automatically censored in the thread title. I remember being banned for three days because I mentioned a rumoured sex tape lol

On the other hand they allow users to start their own "union" boards moderated by themselves and people can talk shit freely.

DiamondDog
20-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I'd say a forum is screwed when one member is able to derail entire threads just by turning up and saying hello, because everyone keeps having the same argument with them over and over and over and over and over and over...

Shane
20-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Haven't really had any bad personal experiences as such, heck, I've hardly ever had an argument with anyone. I've seen a lot of shit on sites like IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid and the WoW forums though.

Edit:

People may be racist or homophobic, but the forum is made up of a wide range of people including a sizeable transsexual contingent.

What the...

R-F
20-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Best part of RPG Codex is who they determine is or isn't a "protected group". If you insult someone of a protected group about that, you're going to get banned.

Protected groups: Furries, transvestites, aspies, fat people.
Non-protected groups: Black people, Jews, Nazis, gypsies.

DaftPunk
20-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Mods on gametrailers are one of the worst,they close normal threads all of the time but keep open those with flamebait and similar stuff,also they ban people for such a ridicilous reasons.. Pathetic.

Shane
20-11-2011, 06:06 PM
That's just hilarious, especially the inclusion of fat people.

Okami
20-11-2011, 06:20 PM
There was a time, when saying that yo don't believe in the imaginary guy in the sky could get you burned at the stake. There were times where saying that, just maybe, it would be nice if you didn't have to starve, would land you in the prison. There were times when criticising those in power would make you disappear forever. And there are enough places in the world, where exactly his is happening right now.

All across the ages and all across the world, people have fought for their rights and the rights of their fellow human beeings to express their ideas without the fear of retribution from those in power. They've fought, they've been imprisoned, tortured and killed for doing so. They fought for free speech.

If they had known that the freedom they fought for through their struggles and their pain would now be used by a bunch of immature sociopaths to defend their own right to hurl any kind of hate speech in the direction of everyone and everything they don't agree with, I think they would have thought twice before sacrificing themselves for their beliefs.

Jaesun
20-11-2011, 06:32 PM
And the moderators never do anything about it, in fact they're usually the most vocal in using these terms.

As one of the openly Gay Male moderators of the Codex, I don't have a problem with it. They are just words. And given our "free speech" stance, derogatory comments are just going to be the norm, the general public is just that way.

What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there. While they are few and far between (and you would have to actually search for them), people just look at one or 2 threads inhabited by spammers and people using derogatory remarks and think that is all we do.

Hanban
20-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I guess your post did end up on RPGCodex!

Nalano
20-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Go over there and make a contrarian statement. Not a rude one, just an unusual one. See what response you'll get. I don't think it'll be one that'll display a culture of free speech.

So you can say "Jew" or "Fag". So what? It's baby-talk to equate that with free speech. Free speech isn't about "I can express what words I like". Free speech is about "I can express what IDEAS I like".

The type of speech you're defending is a sham of freedom. It promotes intolerance of ideas behind a claim of being tolerant of words. What the words are promoting moreover, is an even further intolerance of other ideas.

"Free speech is an important part of the culture". You really believe that?

I think Wizardry has mistaken "bullying" for "free speech."

jryan
20-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah, some people have an odd inability to differentiate between forum moderators and their national government.

Peter
20-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Another disgruntled Codexer here.

What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there. While they are few and far between (and you would have to actually search for them), people just look at one or 2 threads inhabited by spammers and people using derogatory remarks and think that is all we do.

It's not even that, though. If you were to look at the first 15 thread on the RPG Discussion subforum right now, you'd see, among others, 4 threads discussing the gameplay/story/questing of Skyrim, a game that has been surprisingly well-received on the Codex, a thread discussing Skyrim modding, a thread about Ultima 5, a thread praising the DaggerXL project (look it up; great stuff), a thread about the Matt Chat Youtube show/series thing that is quite well liked on the Codex etc. I won't deny that there's not anti-semitic talk in a thread about Richard Garriot (though in that particular case it seems to be played for laughs), or that the Skyrim threads have quite a bit of insult hurling (mostly by an infamous poster known as Skyway). But the point is that while the site may be uncensored, it still has a ton of decent discussion. Hell, at it's best, the Codex is probably one of the best places on the internet to actually deeply discuss game-design, the RPG genre, the industry etc. Look no further than the Codex Workshop subforum, which is full of interesting design-talk and mod/indie projects.

That being said, keep out of General Discussion, which is populated by trolls, alts and drama queens. That one subforum is pretty much responsible for 90% of the bad rep for the Codex. It's like judging all of 4chan by /b/ and /v/.

Nalano
20-11-2011, 07:14 PM
What people fail to see are the VERY well discussed topics that abound there.

If you have to tell us how not-shit you are, perhaps you may want to reconsider your policy.

thesoup
20-11-2011, 07:17 PM
If you have to tell us how not-shit you are, perhaps you may want to reconsider your policy.

He has to tell you how not shit they are because you seem to have reading comprehension problems.

How could I accidentally end up on the forum by googling a bug on Anachronox, lurk some more and like the forum enough to register? You're cherry picking and being close minded, the same thing you're accusing the codexers of. Irony is a beautiful thing, innit?

QuantaCat
20-11-2011, 07:17 PM
There was a time, when saying that yo don't believe in the imaginary guy in the sky could get you burned at the stake. There were times where saying that, just maybe, it would be nice if you didn't have to starve, would land you in the prison. There were times when criticising those in power would make you disappear forever. And there are enough places in the world, where exactly his is happening right now.

All across the ages and all across the world, people have fought for their rights and the rights of their fellow human beeings to express their ideas without the fear of retribution from those in power. They've fought, they've been imprisoned, tortured and killed for doing so. They fought for free speech.

If they had known that the freedom they fought for through their struggles and their pain would now be used by a bunch of immature sociopaths to defend their own right to hurl any kind of hate speech in the direction of everyone and everything they don't agree with, I think they would have thought twice before sacrificing themselves for their beliefs.

Yes but there was a time where you would get crucified for believing in "that imaginary man in the sky", and sadly, the people that did that, didnt do a good enough job, and now we're stuck with this mess.

damn terrorists.

He has to tell you how not shit they are because you seem to have reading comprehension problems.

How could I accidentally end up on the forum by googling a bug on Anachronox, lurk some more and like the forum enough to register? You're cherry picking and being close minded, the same thing you're accusing the codexers of. Irony is a beautiful thing, innit?

Also, one post person complaining about nalano having reading comp problems, is just outright silly. We've been down that path, it just wont stick to anything. Come up with better additions to a thread, if your only purpose is to reg and post once.

For one, I dont like or dislike the codex, I just dont bother because Im not interested. Ive been on several forums before, and I tend to go all in. RPS is pretty neat, so far, and its lasted this long because I manage to stay invested, and separate at the same time.

PS: also, its the most general forum Ive ever been on.

Nalano
20-11-2011, 07:19 PM

You mean how you're flooding our forum with your fail, because you're so butthurt you can't stand any modicum of criticism?

Well then, let me explain it to you in terms you might understand.

http://catmacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/gtfo_take_fail_cat.jpg

thesoup
20-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Irony seems to strike frequently here because the only one butthurt and incapable of handling criticism is you. Read your post again and you might detect some decent butthurt. Then again, I don't expect something like that from you. Let's just say you're dyslexic and give you a pass.

R-F
20-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Irony seems to strike frequently here because the only one butthurt and incapable of handling criticism is you. Read your post again and you might detect some decent butthurt. Then again, I don't expect something like that from you. Let's just say you're dyslexic and give you a pass.

A typical codexer comes in and proves why people hate that shitty site.

EDIT: I do find it funny how his post boiled down to "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?!"

Peter
20-11-2011, 07:29 PM

Because Nalano's posts on this page, especially the second one, were so much better, right?

You guys sure are wonderful compared to us vile Codexers.

R-F
20-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Because Nalano's posts on this page, especially the second one, were so much better, right?

You guys sure are wonderful compared to us vile Codexers.

It's sure a great idea to come to another forum and crow about how great your forum is and how it isn't like anyone says...

And then insult one of the regulars!

QuantaCat
20-11-2011, 07:32 PM
It's sure a great idea to come to another forum and crow about how great your forum is and how it isn't like anyone says...

They actually did that in reverse. However, I think this thread got out of hand. Dont bother.

SirKicksalot
20-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I can't believe this shit started again.

Peter
20-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Following in Nalano's footsteps by avoiding the point I made and instead starting to insult people who have, thus far, been trying to break some stereotypes in a completely civil manner, after the forum they frequent has been insulted for 2 pages straight? Good show.

hamster
20-11-2011, 07:35 PM
What the heck is this? Forum wars? Also how is this thread not off-topic since its inception?

QuantaCat
20-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Following in Nalano's footsteps by avoiding the point I made and instead starting to insult people who have, thus far, been trying to break some stereotypes in a completely civil manner, after the forum they frequent has been insulted for 2 pages straight? Good show.

Why bother? We can call your forum as shit as we want to! You can still have your good or bad stuffs with or without us. The practice of "regging especially to react" is simply silly. There is no long term value in your staying here, and most that just reg to react go soon anyway. A waste of time and space. Im just replying to make this thread go silent or away.

Also, Ive been saying this is the wrong forum for this silliness.

Drake Sigar
20-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Hell, at it's best, the Codex is probably one of the best places on the internet to actually deeply discuss game-design, the RPG genre, the industry etc. Look no further than the Codex Workshop subforum, which is full of interesting design-talk and mod/indie projects.Everyone thinks they're part of the best forum. The only difference between us is I just happen to be right.

TixyLixx
20-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Steam
mmorpg.com
gamespot

Gone through hundreds of accounts on them sites before I gave up going to them. You get banned from Steam for even mentioning the world Piracy, you cannot even discuss it and how to prevent it. mmorpg.com you get banned if someone reports you for not liking your post, I recently mentioned how SWTOR will be such a massive failure because it doesn't feel like an MMO and got banned. Gamespot you just get banned for not making your content PG.......

Peter
20-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Why bother? We can call your forum as shit as we want to! You can still have your good or bad stuffs with or without us.

The RPS consensus on the Codex doesn't matter much, yes, but you must understand that it is incredibly annoying to be called a neo-nazi spawn of Satan by most of the internet for frequenting a website that is, for the most part, completely normal. I don't know about the other Codexers who registered to respond to this thread, but I personally came here because I thought the RPS community, unlike many others, would be intelligent enough to actually discuss things and try to at least look at things from our perspective.

Everyone thinks they're part of the best forum. The only difference between us is I just happen to be right.

There's some truth in that, but of all the gaming forums I've seen online, RPGCodex really is one of the most analytical and one that values great game-design. Let's put it this way: on most forums there's be a post saying "I like/don't like this game because of [feature]", whereas a post on RPGCodex oftentimes looks more like: "This is why [feature] works/doesn't work and that's why I like/don't like this game. Discuss!!!"

I won't insult your intelligence by responding to that second sentence.

Heliocentric
20-11-2011, 08:08 PM
My God, this thread. Definitely.

Called it so hard it hurts, forum wars are the only thing more flammable than talk of Derrick Smart.

R-F
20-11-2011, 08:23 PM
The RPS consensus on the Codex doesn't matter much, yes, but you must understand that it is incredibly annoying to be called a neo-nazi spawn of Satan by most of the internet for frequenting a website that is, for the most part, completely normal. I don't know about the other Codexers who registered to respond to this thread, but I personally came here because I thought the RPS community, unlike many others, would be intelligent enough to actually discuss things and try to at least look at things from our perspective.

There's some truth in that, but of all the gaming forums I've seen online, RPGCodex really is one of the most analytical and one that values great game-design. Let's put it this way: on most forums there's be a post saying "I like/don't like this game because of [feature]", whereas a post on RPGCodex oftentimes looks more like: "This is why [feature] works/doesn't work and that's why I like/don't like this game. Discuss!!!"

From what I can tell, SomethingAwful regularly takes the piss out of Codex in the Grognards thread. I've been banned from there recently (for very good reasons, actually). You should see the posts they can find. Some are hysterical.

I won't insult your intelligence by responding to that second sentence.

No, but I can presume your's from this.

Wizardry
20-11-2011, 08:26 PM
=)

10char

Heliocentric
20-11-2011, 08:31 PM
=)

10char

Ohnoyoujustdidn't!

Peter
20-11-2011, 08:38 PM

I don't get it. At what point did I say anything idiotic or wrong?

Inb4 you say that me not getting your clever little insult just proves that you were right about me being an idiot.

Keep
20-11-2011, 08:45 PM
You mean how you're flooding our forum with your fail, because you're so butthurt you can't stand any modicum of criticism?

EDIT: I do find it funny how his post boiled down to "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?!"

Why bother? We can call your forum as shit as we want to!

RPS really needs to hire new ambassadors of peace.

BobsLawnService
20-11-2011, 09:00 PM
War. War never changes.

Rossignol
20-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Uh. No.

Everyone involved in the squabbling in this thread will be banned if it continues elsewhere.