PDA

View Full Version : Real-Life Dragonborn

R-F
18-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Boy named Dovahkiin so his parents can get free games for life. (http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/11/17/dragonborn-of-the-day/)

This is the most depressing game related thing I have ever seen.

agentorange
18-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Why is it depressing? I'd love to be named DOVAHKIIN. And the mother named him that because she thought the name was cool, the games are just icicles on the cake, plus the kid will end up getting all the games so, he's pretty lucky I'd say.

Drake Sigar
18-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I vaguely recall studies showing kids with outlandish names are bullied the most, and I can attest to that from my own experience.

R-F
18-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I vaguely recall studies showing kids with outlandish names are bullied the most, and I can attest to that from my own experience.

Pretty much this. The mother had her own selfish impulses override the desire of her kid.

gundrea
18-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Well then he'd better get out there and start absorbing dragon souls.

westyfield
18-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeha, he's going to get bullied and change his name as soon as he legally can.

Vexing Vision
18-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Note that his name is Dovahkiin Tom, so he can always use "Tom".

I'd love to have that name, too, though. The coolest kids at school had unusual names, too.

Shane
18-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Eh, I've heard of worse, Hitler (no, seriously), Crumpet, Violence, to name a few. Anyway, there isn't much difference in making this over a bunch of random words that mean nothing.

Also, I suspect that the parents will change the kid's name soon enough.

Skalpadda
18-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Well, his middle name is Tom. They won't necessarily be calling him Dovahkiin.

apricotsoup
18-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Moonunit Zappa anyone?

Sure it's not a great name but there are more and more people with godawful names popping up nowadays.

grasskit
18-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Why is it depressing? I'd love to be named DOVAHKIIN. And the mother named him that because she thought the name was cool, the games are just icicles on the cake, plus the kid will end up getting all the games so, he's pretty lucky I'd say.

yea because naming your kid, what you think is cool at the time, is great idea. especially for all the right reasons, like getting free games. what

soldant
18-11-2011, 12:37 PM
But there are those he fears... in his own tongue they are Vokulkiir... evilchildren!

Yeah seriously that's kind of cool but that kid has to go around with Dovahkiin on his passport and every other legal document. You'd think they'd learn to accept it but I still get sheepish smiles when patients give me ridiculous first names.

Vexing Vision
18-11-2011, 12:40 PM
yea because naming your kid, what you think is cool at the time, is great idea. especially for all the right reasons, like getting free games. what

Well, I would have loved to be called Gandalf or Cthulhu! :P

Jockie
18-11-2011, 12:49 PM
There were a few kids named after Narnia characters at my school, the bullying only came in waves and the one who was quite weird (rather than the ones who tried desperately to be normal, to shed the hideous burden of having a weird name in a state school in the north of England) bore the brunt of it.

Maybe the kid will grow up and think it's awesome he was named because of a marketing promotion tied in with a videogame release, I know I would probably have held a grudge against my parents if they had decided to subject me to years of abuse for no particular reason.

Obviously it depends a lot on where the kid grows up and the kind of community, as well as the possibility of just reverting to the middle name.

Unaco
18-11-2011, 12:58 PM
It was the Mother's idea... and she doesn't even play games. She wanted to do something special for her son, her daughter has a unique name and she felt her son should have one as well. They conceived before the competition was announced, and, after learning her due date, were considering using the name before the competition. And, as has been said, he has a perfectly normal middle name which he can use. They spent time thinking on it, discussed it, between themselves and with their family... and they came to the conclusion it was something unique to do for their unique child.

In the end though, there are much, much worse things that parents can do to their children... a slightly funny name is the least of them.

And, if you think this is the most depressing video game related news you've read, then you missed reading...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8551122.stm

And

http://www.gamepron.com/news/2011/02/25/baby-girl-starves-while-mum-and-dad-play-games/

grasskit
18-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, I would have loved to be called Gandalf or Cthulhu! :P

i dont disagree that in theory it could be cool. but in practice, you might think otherwise, when you start to get bullied at school and start resenting your parents cause they gave you stupid-ass name when they had momentary lapse of reason. hey, it might turn out that everyone around you are tolerant and you grow up all right. but do you think the chance of that could be a bit higher if you had a regular name

Vexing Vision
18-11-2011, 01:15 PM
but do you think the chance of that could be a bit higher if you had a regular name

Oh, I've always been a geek and a nerd before I even went to elementary school. Bullying was, unfortunately, unavoidable in any case, and I did share a first name with at one point two others in our 25-head-count classes.

Nope, rather would have been Dovahkiin, really.

Then again, sharing fancy naming stories, a good friend of mine is named "A". Her older brother has a normal name ("Marc"), but with her, her parents must have run out of ideas.

Theblazeuk
18-11-2011, 01:19 PM
All points about bullying and normality withstanding, Dovahkin appears to be an American child* and they have many more silly invented names in circulation than we do.

*Kellermeyer, their webcomic, that they entered a competition by a US company which likely has the usual restrictions...

hamster
18-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Jesus, imagine if someone named their kid Wizardry.

apricotsoup
18-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I knew a merlin, but that somehow doesn't seem all that strange.

grasskit
18-11-2011, 01:57 PM
maybe they did. uh-oh that would explain a lot

Berzee
18-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Homeschool him.

Give me another problem to solve.

Berzee
18-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Well then he'd better get out there and start absorbing dragon souls.

HA. :D I have to type more characters so I will say it again: HA!

Berzee
18-11-2011, 02:43 PM
At least they didn't name him Jaden, Aiden, Aden, Caden, or Braden.

When that wave of kids grows up I'm going to be an extra crotchety old man at them.

deano2099
18-11-2011, 02:46 PM
It's not that weird a name is it? And it's not like most people know what the Skyrim guy is called, and certainly won't when he's at school. It just sounds Russian, to be honest. It's not obviously stupid...

Tom OBedlam
18-11-2011, 03:01 PM
As a child who was called "Tom Sellick" I can only say how truly sorry I feel for this poor kid.

Edit: oh yeah, and my sister is called "Arwen". Fuck parents that give their children stupid names.

Smashbox
18-11-2011, 03:11 PM
At least they didn't name him Jaden, Aiden, Aden, Caden, or Braden.

When that wave of kids grows up I'm going to be an extra crotchety old man at them.

Are you me?

Drake Sigar
18-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I hope Raiden is still good.

Fumarole
18-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Pretty much this. The mother had her own selfish impulses override the desire of her kid.Exactly what desires does a newborn have? Certainly nothing related to a name. It's awfully premature to be making any claims about the child's possible experiences in life. No one wants to be bullied, but that's far from a certainty.

Smashbox
18-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I'll be naming my son Stratocaster Slurpee.

Nalano
18-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Maybe the kid will grow up and think it's awesome he was named because of a marketing promotion tied in with a videogame release, I know I would probably have held a grudge against my parents if they had decided to subject me to years of abuse for no particular reason.

I'm sorry, did you use the words "awesome" and "marketing promotion" in the same sentence?

Jockie
18-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry, did you use the words "awesome" and "marketing promotion" in the same sentence?

I thought we were beyond the days of having to explain sarcasm to people from the US...

Edit: I guess tone is hard to write on a forum. It was meant to be there in a deadpan 'there is no way this will ever be the case' manner.

Nalano
18-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I thought we were beyond the days of having to explain sarcasm to people from the US...

No, but we like nailing the point home with sledgehammers.

Consequently, I've had three Mercedes and one Porsche in my classes. If everybody does it, nobody gets bullied for it. That said, this kid definitely has a strong case should he ever decide to report on his parents to Child Protective Services.

Berzee
18-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I know I would probably have held a grudge against my parents if they had decided to subject me to years of abuse for no particular reason.

Letting you spend a great portion of your childhood with people who would abuse you because of a silly name is grudgeworthy even if you don't have a silly name. A silly name is a convenient way of exposing the cruelty in their little hearts right away, instead of only discovering years later that all your childhood friends were nasty and you just never noticed it because you were named Bob.

Perhaps you have heard of A Boy Named Sue.
Similar concept...
*hum hum hum, in the mud and the blood and the beer*

Berzee
18-11-2011, 04:12 PM
That said, this kid definitely has a strong case should he ever decide to report on his parents to Child Protective Services.

So let's have a government listing of acceptable names you can pick for your child.
That would awesome like a marketing promotion!

Smashbox
18-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Letting you spend a great portion of your childhood with people who would abuse you because of a silly name is grudgeworthy even if you don't have a silly name.

er... School?

Vexing Vision
18-11-2011, 04:16 PM
So let's have a government listing of acceptable names you can pick for your child.
That would awesome like a marketing promotion!

Actually, that's what's happening here in Germany at least. You cannot name your child whatever you want, it needs to be a recognized name. Can be non-German, though.

No Wildflower Summerbreeze Autumndusts here.

Wizardry
18-11-2011, 04:36 PM
My son would bully him. Wizardry vs Skyrim. Not even a competition really.

Smashbox
18-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Tenuously related:

The best baby name I've heard is K-a.

Pronounce it with me. K-a.

Spoiler:

Kuh-Dash-uh

Berzee
18-11-2011, 04:53 PM
er... School?

I already addressed that concern in my first reply. =) If you really NEED to name your child something wacky but don't want them to suffer for it, homeschooling is a good option.

Of course Dovahkiin won't be homeschooled, at least not that he can remember. He will have a mysterious unknown but not remarkable past, and then get arrested while trying to sneak across the border. Only then will his true powers be manifest.

Smashbox
18-11-2011, 05:02 PM
It was difficult trying to come up with my backstory in my mind and accounting for the fact that Skryim-me is and old man who, until very recently, had absolutely no skill at anything.

EDIT:
I decided. Homeschooling.

Jockie
18-11-2011, 05:07 PM
It was difficult trying to come up with my backstory in my mind and accounting for the fact that Skryim-me is and old man who, until very recently, had absolutely no skill at anything.

Maybe he left home as a teenager rebelling against the parents who gave him a stupid name, yet the laughter evoked everytime he announced himself kept him from holding down a steady job.

hamster
18-11-2011, 05:09 PM
My son would bully him. Wizardry vs Skyrim. Not even a competition really.

Kid's name is Dovahkiin, not "Skyrim"; Skyrim would be too easy. "Yo Ass-rim! Ahahahahaha!!" *slaps thighs*

Smashbox
18-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Dovahkiin? More like... er... Dovapussy!

DarioSamo
18-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Dovahkiin? More like... er... Dovapussy!
Durpahkiin?

Berzee
18-11-2011, 06:27 PM

EDIT:
I decided. Homeschooling.

Normally that would be a concern, but any parents smart enough to name their child after the dragonborn of ancient prophecy, I trust to be good teachers.

metalangel
18-11-2011, 06:28 PM
This kid would be fine in Bristol. The niece lives there and half her friends (aged around 5) have stupid names.

deano2099
18-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Kid's name is Dovahkiin, not "Skyrim"; Skyrim would be too easy. "Yo Ass-rim! Ahahahahaha!!" *slaps thighs*

I'd imagine girls called Skye are already having a hard time of it this week...

Nalano
18-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I already addressed that concern in my first reply. =) If you really NEED to name your child something wacky but don't want them to suffer for it, homeschooling is a good option.

While school is not the most efficient place to learn, it is where most people become socialized.

Berzee
18-11-2011, 07:31 PM
it _is_ where most people become socialized.

That is inarguable fact. =P

I suggest they name his sister, "Nerevarine". That's actually rather pretty.

Nalano
18-11-2011, 08:02 PM
That is inarguable fact. =P

I suggest they name his sister, "Nerevarine". That's actually rather pretty.

Reminds me of these pasty white girls back in university that took over a wing of the fine arts residential college. They all seemed to hail from rural New England and had a fondness for formless tit curtains (http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/EbearGrosso/Alizee-Mexico1.jpg), and each came adorned with a name that started with Gwyn and continued in that style with way too many Ls, Ws and Ys. They mostly kept this "I'm innocent of the world" affectation while clawing tooth and nail to their little gated community from the hordes of minority students looking for single dorm rooms. Like a modern-day Lord of the Rings.

To this day I don't know how they grew up, and I'm still not sure I want to.

Tom OBedlam
18-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I'd imagine girls called Skye are already having a hard time of it this week...

just punishment for the Sins of the Mother and Father.

db1331
18-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Are you me?

Seriously. Are you both me? I cannot fucking STAND any of the Aiden-names. They make me feel stabby.

westyfield
18-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Tenuously related:

The best baby name I've heard is K-a.

Pronounce it with me. K-a.

Spoiler:

Kuh-Dash-uh

Er, I don't get it.

Berzee
18-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Er, I don't get it.

K-a.
K dash a.
Kdasha.
(There are people named this).

Nalano
18-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Er, I don't get it.

It's an abbreviation of a corruption of the Hebrew name Kadisha.

thegooseking
19-11-2011, 12:23 AM
A silly name is a convenient way of exposing the cruelty in their little hearts right away, instead of only discovering years later that all your childhood friends were nasty and you just never noticed it because you were named Bob.

Actually, I got made fun of quite a bit for having the name Bob. And that's not even my name.

Nalano
19-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Letting you spend a great portion of your childhood with people who would abuse you because of a silly name is grudgeworthy even if you don't have a silly name. A silly name is a convenient way of exposing the cruelty in their little hearts right away, instead of only discovering years later that all your childhood friends were nasty and you just never noticed it because you were named Bob.

Perhaps you have heard of A Boy Named Sue.
Similar concept...
*hum hum hum, in the mud and the blood and the beer*

Of course, in A Boy Named Sue, the father knew he'd be an absentee parent, and thus was making the best of a bad situation.

In this case, these parents are just fucking dumb.

westyfield
19-11-2011, 12:40 AM
K-a.
K dash a.
Kdasha.
(There are people named this).

It's an abbreviation of a corruption of the Hebrew name Kadisha.

Oooh, right. Never heard that name before.

Drake Sigar
19-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Of course, in A Boy Named Sue, the father knew he'd be an absentee parent, and thus was making the best of a bad situation.

In this case, these parents are just fucking dumb.
I'm sure they'll wipe the tears away with all those free absorbent games.

Burnside
19-11-2011, 12:48 AM
I knew a chap named Richard Face, always wondered just how much his parents were anticipating he'd ruin their lives.

Fumarole
19-11-2011, 12:57 AM
That can't be as bad as Mike Butram.

Spacewalk
19-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Could be worse. Could've called him Turok.

Tom OBedlam
19-11-2011, 01:08 AM
or "Doom Marine"

westyfield
19-11-2011, 01:24 AM
I knew a chap named Richard Face, always wondered just how much his parents were anticipating he'd ruin their lives.

In the name of one-upmanship, I feel I must inform you that I had a friend from school whose father was called Richard Head.
At least it wasn't Michael Hunt.

DigitalSignalX
19-11-2011, 02:03 AM
That kid is very very red. I'm concerned he's really a Daedra.

Berzee
19-11-2011, 02:53 AM
I've been thinking about that "k-a" thing, with great sadness of heart, and I eventually learned to accept it and move on. My next child, if he is not named Brother Jauffre, will be named...

/n-

I take it back; now that I've said it, Jauffre is a great name. I would use that if I didn't feel it was a cop-out.

The ones I really feel bad for are the kids that get retroactively game-named. I mean, somewhere there must be a lot of Adam Jensens out there who never asked for this.

Nalano
19-11-2011, 03:26 AM
I mean, somewhere there must be a lot of Adam Jensens out there who never asked for this.

To be fair, people tend to name their children after whatever they like at the moment. You and I both know that the schools will be filled with little rugrat Obamas in a few years' time.

Skalpadda
19-11-2011, 05:18 AM
I mean, somewhere there must be a lot of Adam Jensens out there who never asked for this.

Jensen is one of the most common surnames in Denmark and Adam is popular everywhere so yeah.

I know a man named Pedu (pronounced Pedo). He's from Estonia I believe.

Also, I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTaKDnSIb4c

Smashbox
19-11-2011, 05:30 AM
To be fair, people tend to name their children after whatever they like at the moment. You and I both know that the schools will be filled with little rugrat Obamas in a few years' time.

This graph is very interesting (http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#), search for uncommon president/public figures' names and you will see huge spikes (try 'Dwight' as in Eisenhower, for example).

Also, I used to live above Richard Wood, and he was a total fucking dickwood.

Kadayi
19-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Not a great name tbh, simply from the perspective of how it sounds. However saying that I'm perturbed that some people seem to be of the opinion that giving your children the blandest names possible is the best course of action.

Fumarole
19-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Actually, that's what's happening here in Germany at least. You cannot name your child whatever you want, it needs to be a recognized name. Can be non-German, though.That sounds like an absolute nightmare of a society. Government approved names? Yikes.

westyfield
19-11-2011, 04:54 PM
That sounds like an absolute nightmare of a society. Government approved names? Yikes.

It's not that bad, it's just to stop you naming your child 'Hitler' (it happened) or 'Asscheeks McTrumpington'.

Nalano
21-11-2011, 02:49 AM
It's not that bad, it's just to stop you naming your child 'Hitler' (it happened) or 'Asscheeks McTrumpington'.

Those asshats just lost custody (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/parents-boy-named-adolf-hitler-lose-custody-fourth-child-hours-birth-article-1.980371).

JackShandy
21-11-2011, 03:05 AM
Man, kids'll make fun of your name whatever it is. My name's the most boring, ordinary thing you can imagine and I'm not even going to repeat what it was turned into.

Dohvakiin is impossible to make fun of. What can you do with it? Nothing. It's too weird already.

westyfield
21-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Those asshats just lost custody (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/parents-boy-named-adolf-hitler-lose-custody-fourth-child-hours-birth-article-1.980371).

Ah, my mistake. I thought they had to rename the child.

Nalano
21-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Ah, my mistake. I thought they had to rename the child.

Well, it's kinda impossible to enforce a name change. All the parents would have to do once the agencies go away is tell the kid, "people may call you Fred, but don't listen to them. Your name is Adolf. Adolf Hitler."

CuriousOrange
21-11-2011, 08:10 PM
If I knew what his name meant as a kid I would have bullied the hell out of him. But I would think it sounds like it may be a real name you've never heard of. So he may get away with it.

Unaco
21-11-2011, 08:33 PM
If I knew what his name meant as a kid I would have bullied the hell out of him.

Says more about you than the name.