PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Oni?

neema_t
18-11-2011, 02:48 PM
So I was just reading about XIII's new puzzle based sequel, which kind of made me want to find and then buy XIII again (I had it on SonyBox II). Having found it on GOG, I think I must have triggered some weird nostalgic gaming impulse or something, which happens incredibly regularly, I must say. So now I want to get Oni, I had a demo of it on my Mac a good number of years ago, does anyone know of a digital distro that sells it or should I hunt it down on 'CD', whatever the hell that is?

Also I fear I'm about to actually spend money on Doom (even though I have it on touchphone), Quake and their immediate sequels. Not really interested in Q3A, Doom 3 or Quake 4.

Some other old, great* games that I'm now thinking about and that you should all play if you somehow haven't already: Marathon 1, 2 and 3, The Dig, Full Throttle and Star Wars: Dark Forces.

Of course given the forum I'm posting this on, this is unnecessary information as you've all played every good game ever.

* My memory isn't what it used to be so they may not actually be great, but I did once think they were amazing. Full Throttle was especially good.

Jiiiiim
18-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Depending on what platform you want it for, it's available for some pennies + postage on Amazon (though the Mac version will set you back 25+). I played it a couple years ago but I had to track down a fix to get it to actually work on Vista. Oni is the only punching-in-combinations game that I've enjoyed on PC, because of the progression and checkpoints forcing you to improve constantly without requiring you to actually learn that much. Awful, awful plot obviously but screw that, punching to be done.

Nostalgia, eh. Things sure were good in the past. Respect for elders, get off my lawn, etc.

fearlessgoat
18-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Found it here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oni+mac+amazon)
It was a very underrated game. Even now it holds up pretty well due to its stylised graphics.

neema_t
18-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Found it here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oni+mac+amazon)
It was a very underrated game. Even now it holds up pretty well due to its stylised graphics.

Probably didn't make it too clear but I was asking if anyone knew about where to get it on PC via digital distribution so I can have it NOW NOW NOW, not next week. I first played it on a Mac many years ago, but I have since graduated to a proper gaming machine where I have choices other than to pay GTX 580 prices for a 5870 or stick with a 4870. Of course that meant spending GTX 580 prices on a GTX 580 and then loads more on the PC around it, but the result is I have a GTX 580 and separate computers for work and play, which is actually a lot more important than I first thought it would be. This is a riveting digression.

Looks like Amazon it is, though, thanks chaps.

Icarus
18-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Shit yes I remember Oni. Awesome game, probably the only proper beat-em-up that I liked (even if the controls were clunky as balls and you had to go into the ini files to remap keys), and I would really love a sequel in something like the Arkham or Prince of Persia engines.

Flint
18-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Was a good game definitely. Sometimes frustratingly annoying with some particular platforming setpieces etc, but overall quite fun. Had a great balance between weapons and melee as well - obviously the melee was the favoured method of combat (and how wonderfully nice the melee indeed was) but the guns you could pick up here and there nicely complemented the action instead of feeling like useless gadgets.

Still, I think the highlight of my journeys with Oni was a randomly inspired weapons/bosses/general tips guide I sent off to a gaming magazine's player's hints and tips section, and winning the hint of the month prize. Made a young gamer giddy.

metalangel
18-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Was not a fan. Bad artwork, annoying controls, tedious foes. The level design was okay but the whole package didn't feel "right" or fun. The concept is a great one, though, especially having an expanded melee move set.

Taidan
18-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Obligatory reminder:

On that subject, the Marathon games are still available legally for for free from this place: http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

You can also get "Aleph One", a reworking of the engine to play them with, from the same place.

kyrieee
18-11-2011, 10:11 PM
I do remember it, too much of my head is filled with useless videogame knowledge.

As far as forgotten Bungie games go though I prefer Myth I / II

Tom OBedlam
18-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I never had the full game because that was way back when I just used to get PC gamer and play the shit out of their demos, but fuck, I must have played that demo level through 30-40 times.

I haven't bought PCG for 8 years or so, do they still carry demos you can get that mileage out of?

sabrage
18-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Obligatory reminder:

On that subject, the Marathon games are still available legally for for free from this place: http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

You can also get "Aleph One", a reworking of the engine to play them with, from the same place.

Wow, thanks for that!

rsherhod
19-11-2011, 01:12 AM
I do remember it, too much of my head is filled with useless videogame knowledge.

As far as forgotten Bungie games go though I prefer Myth I / II

Similar to Aleph One, Project Magma (http://www.projectmagma.net/) is keeping the source for Myth: TFL and Myth II up to date. You'll need to buy the disks from somewhere to play though.

Hmm... I hope I didn't throw my old disks out.

SephKing
19-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Loved the game when I was younger and even started playing it again a couple of months ago.

Made this trailer for it too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrofD4wWT_U&feature=channel_video_title

350gb's of captured footage and 20+ hours of editing for a 1:30 video but I think it was worth it ;-)

I'm still hoping one day a sequel will be made or at least another game with combat mechanics as deep. Every time I play games like Arkham Asylum where fights mainly consist of hammering away at one button, I always think back to ONI and sigh at how stramlined combat is in games nowadays. I really like the look of overgrowth but not really a fan of playing a game as a bunny rabit.

Inverselaw
19-11-2011, 03:18 AM
I have a version, i think its for playstation or something, I remember it being a console copy anyway.

Damn that stupid skyscraper lvl, I never could finish it.

coldvvvave
19-11-2011, 01:46 PM
It was a nice game, I even replayed it once couple of years ago.