PDA

View Full Version : Defender's Quest gone?

Fidelicatessen
20-11-2011, 02:05 AM
RPS posted an article about this charming not-so-little demo. I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the game (due out Nov, according to the website), but the site seems to have disappeared. Does anyone have any news of this game? Is it still coming out or did the website disappear for good? -Sean

larsiusprime
20-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Yo,

This is Lars Doucet, lead developer for Defender's Quest!

We're still on schedule for November release, though by that we mean November 30th :). We'll see how it goes. We've been working hard on updates since the demo was last released and there's a LOT of cool new stuff since you last saw the game.

And I am about to send a very nasty e-mail to my web host! I'm probably going to move to someone different just prior to launch because I am sick of the constant downtime.

Sigh
20-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Yo,

This is Lars Doucet, lead developer for Defender's Quest!

We're still on schedule for November release, though by that we mean November 30th :). We'll see how it goes. We've been working hard on updates since the demo was last released and there's a LOT of cool new stuff since you last saw the game.

Yay! This is great news. I thought Defender's Quest was quite refreshing. I was briefly afraid by this thread that the game wasn't going to make it.

Good luck on your imminent release, I will definitely be purchasing the game.

TailSwallower
20-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Good to hear Lars. Got a real kick out of the demo, so I'll likely be picking up the game. Hopefully RPS post on the front page once it's out to remind me.

larsiusprime
20-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys!

Never fear, flaky web hosts shall not keep us from delivering the promised gaming goodness!

While I've got you guys here, might get some quick feedback on an idea. We said we'd release November (30th) and we are still on schedule to do that, but we also have some bonus features we'd like to include that would take longer to develop. A lot of the bonus content is coded up already, but it still needs testing, polish, etc, and our main focus right now is just getting the regular game finished.

The current plan is to release the full game, sans bonus features, but otherwise "complete" on or around the original release date, at a reduced price. Then, whenever we finish the bonus content (maybe an extra month or two), we'll release that too at our originally planned price, and of course anyone who bought the early release gets it for free.

Before anyone asks what prices we're going to set - we haven't quite finalized that and we don't want to state something publicly that we later contradict, but I CAN say that the maximum price will be WELL below $20 USD, as we want to maximize the value you get for your money :)

Planned bonus content (coming after initial release):

1) Extra challenge missions.

When you finish all the main game content, you can play a bunch of extra missions that have nothing to do with the story. These will give you extra content to test a high-level party against, so you can do something with that tricked out level 40 party and go nuts.

2) Multiple "endless" challenges.

We want to include at least one endless challenge in the regular game, but I'd like to put multiple ones in, and this might have to wait for the bonus release.

3) Special equipment for the main character

Right now, the main character can't equip weapons and armor. I've got a bonus feature in the works that lets her equip special magic books. Instead of buffing her stats, these books change the rules of the battle, and are tied to one of her 6 spells, usually.

For instance, one book adds chain lightning to the lightning spell, so for every skill point in the spell it makes her lightning attack chain to an additional enemy.

Another book makes it so defenders automatically become frenzied when they drop below 25% health, another one makes them explode when they're defeated (damaging nearby enemies), another one makes lightning catch enemies on fire, etc. She'll be able to equip up to two of them, so you can mix and match effects.

Other books include "bad" books that make the game harder - such as making it so you can't cast spells, or make it so when a defender is knocked out they can't be summoned again in that battle. These are for people who like to make things harder on themselves. Others just make things interesting - like the book of plagues, which poisons all enemies AND all defenders, etc. This should add some variety and fun to the post-game bonus content.

Also, we've been incorporating a lot of feedback from demo players, and most concerns people have raised have already been addressed. We'll release an updated demo along with the full version of the game so you can see what's been fixed. Here's a short list:

1) Re-Customize / Re-name characters after you've hired them
2) Visual overhaul - no more drab grey user interface@
3) Visual overhaul - trying out a new art style with cutscenes - no more horrible backgrounds!
4) Lots more hotkeys
5) 100% tab-navigatable interface
6) Fixed a bunch of bugs people reported
7) Healers don't totally suck anymore!
8) More carefully balanced skills and stats

We'll be crawling out of our cave shortly, with new trailers, screenshots, and an updated website as soon as we stabilize the current build. Thanks for being patient with us!

larsiusprime
20-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Also, turns out my web host is innocent! I just forgot to renew the domain. Web site should be back in a few minutes :)

Fidelicatessen
21-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Good to hear--thanks for the responses, Mr. Doucet! I'll be expecting to see this out in a week or two (no pressure)...

Corpekata
19-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Game is out now. Looks pretty nice for the price especially. http://www.defendersquest.com/

Auspex
19-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Use the code ZEBOYD to get $1 off during January.

https://twitter.com/#!/werezompire/status/160099282450522112

vecordae
19-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Nice!

Your release idea is good and I think it'll work out for you. I'd recommend doing a bit of customer expectation management with how your present it so folks won't feel like they've been cheated out of something. Fortunately, since you're doing it all from your own website it won't be hard to do.

A fun idea would be to initially sell something like a limited-time only Defender's Quest: Early Adopter Edition. It doesn't have the bonus content, but anyone who buys it will get the content for free when it comes out. You could also throw in a simple, fun freebie to remind folks how awesome they are for buying your game early. Once the bonus content is out, you'd just take down the EAE and put up the complete game at its regular price point. That way people who buy early can feel like they're appreciated while people who wait a bit don't feel like they've missed out.

Honestly, though, you guys seem to know what you're doing and I'm sure your release will be awesome.

larsiusprime
20-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Hey! Thanks for resurrecting this thread, guys!

@vecordae,

I'm kind of drowning right now handling support and maintenance, but I'll do my best to make all that clear, yeah!

Everyone who buys this version of the game DEFINITELY will get free upgrades to all future versions (the full game has an auto-update mechanism that fetches the new version from our server whenever I upload it).

The bonus version comes out in a few months and will have lots of crunchy end-game content and hidden secrets and other stuff we cram in there!

Also, while I'm at it..... here's 5 free download codes! One-time use - First come, first serve!

www.defendersquest.com (http://www.defendersquest.com)
FREE3BHYX
FREE5RSRJ
FREE3UFEA
FREE3ZBPK
FREE9UAPM

larsiusprime
20-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Also, any way we can change the title of this thread to "Defender's Quest RELEASED" ? :)

vecordae
20-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Joy! Just snagged the game! Thank you for all your hard work and making such a fun and engaging title.

pakoito
20-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Snagged one ;)

Auspex
20-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Great stuff; I got a copy - I used the middle code FREE3UFEA. FREE3ZBPK and FREE9UAPM have been used, don't know about the top two. Thanks larsiusprime.

larsiusprime
20-01-2012, 08:11 PM
When all the free codes are gone, the code RPS is good for $1 off throughout the month of January :)

Gerbick
20-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I used the top code. Muchos Gracias!

Tei
20-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Seems a pretty cool game!.

I played a few maps, explored a bit. Theres a lot of things I like. The music, the story, the graphics (simple but cute, love the nice touch that you can reskin your heros), the thing that wen you lose a map you gain something (a bit of xp) and you can try again. Is a very friendly and likeable TD game the one you guys have here!.

Icarus
21-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I played the demo on Thursday, bought the game and soundtrack at 2pm yesterday and played until gone midnight. This thing is fiendishly clever. I feel compelled to give each level just one more try if I fail it, or to go back and grind to level up a little if I fail horribly. The writing's made me laugh out loud a whole bunch of times (Especially the Berserker) and, well, the last unit you get is (spoiler)a fucking DRAGON.

I can see myself losing time to this in the same way Puzzle Quest took over my evening to the point I was matching gems in my head when I was trying to sleep.

Oshada
21-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi larsiusprime, I was extremely impressed with the demo. Any chance of a Steam release?

larsiusprime
21-01-2012, 04:48 PM
@Oshada:

We would LOVE to be on Steam, and we submitted to them a while ago based on an old version of the game - we'll submit to them again after we some sales data and review articles to show.

Whether we get on Steam, however, is entirely up to them and the acceptance process is pretty opaque. Zillions of people submit to Steam, a few lucky people get chosen. In a perfect world, I would love to promise you that we'll be on Steam soon, and that anyone that buys the game will get free Steam codes, but both of those decisions are in Steam's hands, not ours :/

I CAN say that we're in talks with Impulse and Desura, and I think it's very likely we'll get on those platforms. Hopefully that should help get Steam's attention, too.

If it works out, I'll do my best to let you guys know!

Icarus
21-01-2012, 05:45 PM
@LarsiusPrime:
Found a bug today- The Magic Sheep on the three-star version of the sheep hunting level ran into Azra and one-shotted her, but the level didn't end and my units kept fighting. The game froze a minute or so after and I had to close it in Task Manager. Don't know if this is a particular thing with that level or a memory leak or what.

larsiusprime
21-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Hmmm! That's weird! Probably the result of an unhandled error. I'll throw it up on my list of bugs and try to fix it ASAP. When we do fix it, the game should auto-detect the update when we push the new version to our update server and ask if you want to download it.

The game auto-saves pretty aggressively and judiciously, so hopefully you haven't lost any data.

Icarus
21-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Hmmm! That's weird! Probably the result of an unhandled error. I'll throw it up on my list of bugs and try to fix it ASAP. When we do fix it, the game should auto-detect the update when we push the new version to our update server and ask if you want to download it.

The game auto-saves pretty aggressively and judiciously, so hopefully you haven't lost any data.

Thanks! No, nothing lost at all, it just struck me as odd.

larsiusprime
21-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Whew! That's good to know. I should really put in some mechanism for reporting bugs directly from the game, saving logs, crash dumps, etc....

Oshada
22-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks for your response. I just bought it!

larsiusprime
22-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!

When you've played it for a little bit, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and feedback in this forum so we can plan what to tweak / fix in the next few weeks.

Icarus
22-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Feedback: The difficulty curve isn't quite even once you get to the later stages of the game. I had to turn the xp rate up and go back to two/three-star the mid game battles to get through it. But once I had, three high-level Rangers with Black Out the Sky and nine ranks of Armour Piercing, fully boosted, could ruin the day of pretty much everything they met.

larsiusprime
22-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Cool, thanks for that. We did our best to balance the game, but we threw in the extra challenges and XP multiplier as safeguards so that when we inevitably didn't get it quite right, at least there's still a way forward :)

ZIGS
23-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Just bought the game because I played the demo a while ago and really liked it. Regarding the difficulty, I actually like challenging games and getting my ass handed to me :) good to see the game has both kind of players covered. Also, this is not really related but at the same time it is. I'd love to play the game while at work (don't judge me!!) but it requires Adobe Air, which my PC at work won't let me install. Is there a way to install it without admin rights? I know you can "install" Flash by just copying the .dll so maybe there's a similar way for Air?

larsiusprime
23-01-2012, 02:51 PM
@ZIGS:

I'm not sure if there is a way to do that for Adobe AIR... what we could do is include a non-AIR version of the game, basically a browser-based full version of the game, that comes packaged as a SWF file / HTML file combination, and you can just unzip that somewhere and run the HTML file to play the game :)

We've got kind of a big list of things to do for this week's first free update, so not sure how long it will take us to get around to it. We'll try though!

Berzee
23-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Just wanted to say, the existence of this page endears the game to me enough that I am going to give it closer consideration =)

http://www.defendersquest.com/rating.html

TailSwallower
23-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Just wanted to say, the existence of this page endears the game to me enough that I am going to give it closer consideration =)

http://www.defendersquest.com/rating.html

I'd recommend giving it a shot anyway - I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, but I can't allow myself to break my NNGFAY pledge in the first month of 2012, so I won't be picking Defender's Quest up until 2013 or my backlog is defeated - but I definitely will be picking it up.

larsiusprime
23-01-2012, 08:10 PM
@Berzee:

I'm glad to hear you found it useful! Even a lot of the ESRB ratings aren't very helpful in telling you what's actually in a game so I figured I might as well just spell it all out and let people decide for themselves. For example, both Halo and Gears of War are rated M for violence, but there's a pretty big difference between the two that the rating doesn't tell you anything about.

ZIGS
23-01-2012, 11:11 PM
@ZIGS:

I'm not sure if there is a way to do that for Adobe AIR... what we could do is include a non-AIR version of the game, basically a browser-based full version of the game, that comes packaged as a SWF file / HTML file combination, and you can just unzip that somewhere and run the HTML file to play the game :)

We've got kind of a big list of things to do for this week's first free update, so not sure how long it will take us to get around to it. We'll try though!

Actually I wouldn't bother too much with it, I'm gonna be home for a week so I'll just gonna play it at home :) but thanks anyway, the game is really good

Faldrath
24-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Played the demo for five minutes, bought it. Amazing stuff, congratulations to the team.

I love the EULA. I never thought I'd ever write a sentence like the previous one.

Cyrano
24-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I bought this game at the weekend, and it's a total delight. I've been waiting for it to release keenly since RPS reported on the demo, and the developer's engagement with the community here is pretty amazing. Hooray!

It does seem to slow my laptop to a bit of a crawl, but that might be because it's an old laptop, creaking with cobwebs and overfull of episodes of Doctor Who and films about Sherlock Holmes

vecordae
24-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Fantastic game, mate! I'm really enjoying it. Story, presentation, mechanics...all very well done!

larsiusprime
24-01-2012, 03:39 PM
@Cyrano - about how old is your laptop, and what's its native resolution?

There's a few things you can do to boost performance:
-Options->Miscellaneous-> Turn off battle numbers
-Options->Accessibility-> Turn off flashing effects
-Options->Video->Change resolution to as low as it goes, fullscreen, make sure scaling is OFF

Hope some of that helps! If not, sorry for the chugging :/

Vexing Vision
24-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Any developer in such a community contact deserves being supported.

You, Sir, earned another sale tonight, whenever I get home.

larsiusprime
24-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Before I take too much credit because I'm the guy on the team with OCD who forum-lurks all day, I want to give a big shout out to my other team members:

Core team:
Anthony Pecorella - did 90% of the design work, balancing, number crunching. The original idea was also his.
James Cavin - wrote the whole story, all the dialogue, created the backstory and item descriptions. Also did cutscene art.
Kevin Penkin - did our awesome soundtrack

Support:
Mona Ibrahim - our awesome lawyer, who apparently writes an entertaining and easy-to-ready EULA
Zach Striefel - awesome sound effects guy. I highly recommend http://www.symphonyofspecters.com/

Special thanks:
Adam Saltsman - developed the flixel engine we used
Daniel Cook - we used a lot of his free tileset art
Dozens of flickr users who cc'ed their artwork - cutscene background fodder

Snargelfargen
25-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Played the demo for five minutes, bought it.

Ditto. Having a lot of fun so far. The difficulty sliders are definitely a good idea. The artwork is charming too. I particularly like the main character's default "wtf is going on here" stare.

Hordriss
25-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Bought this yesterday - it is an absolute joy to play. Even the EULA is great - can't think of another game I've written that about.

larsiusprime
25-01-2012, 07:21 PM
@Hordriss,

I just emailed your comment to our lawyer, Mona Ibrahim. Should make her day :)

vecordae
25-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey, Larsius. Have you gotten any of my messages, mate?

larsiusprime
26-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Sorry, does this site do PM's or something? I'll check right now!

larsiusprime
26-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey, vecordae, thanks for the PM! That was some really useful feedback about the ending and I appreciate the discretion to avoid spoilers for the rest of the forum-readers. Glad you liked it!

And in other news, loyal RPS readers - I just got an email from a generous fan who bought two copies of the game if I would give them away to fans who might be short some cash. I thought about broadcasting them over twitter, but I figured RPS really deserves some more love given how much they've given us, so here you are!

First come, first serve!
FREE9TTZY
FREE3UEAD

Enter the coupon code after payment info, but before the order is finalized. Sorry that it's stupid that way.
Picture of the coupon field: http://www.defendersquest.com/images/coupon.gif.png

Also: those are 100% off codes, so be sure to grab a soundtrack, too!

Smashbox
26-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Either those don't work or I'm too slow!

alset85
26-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Grabbed the first one. Loved the demo and i can't wait to see more.

larsiusprime
28-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Cool, glad you got them to work :) Let me know what you think of the game! We'll have a forum / wiki up sometime soon - hopefully around Monday maybe?

In the meantime, we have some new pages up:
www.defendersquest.com/faq.html
www.defendersquest.com/support.html

deano2099
28-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Finished this last night, great fun, heading back to do some of the advanced levels now.

Only thing I wish it had was a dedicated set-up time before the level starts, where you can sell and replace stuff with no penalty, and reload to it if you choose to restart mid-mission. It's so annoying to spend time on setting up a defense that works, only to get hit once by something that got through as you upgraded the wrong hero.

Berzee
28-01-2012, 04:29 PM
reload to it if you choose to restart mid-mission.

Ahh, checkpoints, quite a good idea for a tower defense game!

Now that you've mentioned it, it seems brilliantly obvious ^_^ Many of this genre, the first half of the fight is "yes yes I know how this turns out already!" after a couple of attempts

larsiusprime
28-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Cool - I'll look into the technical aspects of it and see if it's something I can do :)

deano2099
28-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Ahh, checkpoints, quite a good idea for a tower defense game!

Now that you've mentioned it, it seems brilliantly obvious ^_^ Many of this genre, the first half of the fight is "yes yes I know how this turns out already!" after a couple of attempts

That you can run it at 4x speed means I never really felt for the lack of checkpoints like in Defense Grid. That each level tended to only take me about five minutes also helped. It was just going back and starting again was so fiddly as everything needed putting back down.

ZIGS
29-01-2012, 12:05 AM
This game is addicting as hell, best 5€ I ever spent

P.S: fuck you Axxima Muttanaxxor, with your 10.000.000 health! You fucking Mythically Delicious Mammal!

Carra
29-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Finished the game today and I have to say, it's a lot of fun.

Good job on balancing the game. I had to go back to do some advanced/epic modes before I could continue on some levels. The overall upgrade system is nice too, the weapons are powerful enough to feel very useful. Armor however, I just didn't see much use in it. Why equip my archer with armor? And the extra skills you get every 5 levels is a nice incentive to keep on playing.

I'm looking forwards to more of this game :)

bbqitup
29-01-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm feeling alittle pissed off finding out I had to pay for this game on coolgames.com. It dosen't mention anything about being a DEMO when I first started playing it last night. I must admit tho it is a really fun game. But still it's underhanded how they get you hooked then ask for money. It should clearly label that it's a DEMO on these sites!!

larsiusprime
29-01-2012, 03:48 AM
bbqitup:

Hey, this is the developer: I didn't upload the game to coolgames.com - that site, along with a bunch of other little flash portals, "stole" the swf from my main site, defendersquest.com, where it is CLEARLY labeled as a demo. Of course, I don't mind little flash portals "stealing" my demo file as I want as many people to play it and give it a try as possible.

I'm using Mochi Version control, so I'll try to add something to make it a little more clear that it's a demo since on some foreign flash portal without my website for context there wouldn't be any indication in the swf itself that it's a demo. When I update that, it should update the version on all these other flash portals, etc.

bbqitup
29-01-2012, 04:44 AM
Hi Larsiusprime,

Did you make this game? Very cool game if you did. I wonder why the people that add these games don't mention it's a demo? I tried writing coolgames.com but their email addy wouldn't even accept emails, go figure. Well I feel alittle bit better about buying the game now since you weren't involved in not labeling it as a demo properly.

larsiusprime
29-01-2012, 05:10 AM
@bbqitup:

Yeah, I was one of the guys on Defender's Quest. These little sites basically grab game files from larger portals or from popular game sites, and most of them don't ask permission - they just post 'em. Not that I mind of course - it's exactly what I want them to do. However, they often mangle, garble, or omit the game's descriptions, and so you don't get any context. A lot of them I think actually have little bots that scour the web for new games and then auto-steal and upload them to their sites in order to get fresh content.

I'm using mochiads to host the game so I don't have to pay for bandwidth, and I turned distribution on so other little portals could spread the game around, here's the master mochi site, with all the basic descriptions, thumbnails, etc, that these little sites need:

http://www.mochimedia.com/games/play/defenders-quest-demo_v368218

It's clearly labeled as a demo there, but obviously, it couldn't hurt to put that in the game itself as I obviously can't count on any useful outer context :)

BigT89
29-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Awesome Game. Best Tower Defense Game ive ever played - and with RPG Elements. Very good work. Too bad that i havent a creditcard or paypal, otherwise i would instantly buy the game. The Price is super low for the Contet you get.

Kieron_W
29-01-2012, 12:48 PM
defendersquest.com seems to be down again, which annoyingly means the game hangs when checking for updates. Any chance of implementing some sort of off-line mode for these occasions?

bbqitup
29-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Awesome Game. Best Tower Defense Game ive ever played - and with RPG Elements. Very good work. Too bad that i havent a creditcard or paypal, otherwise i would instantly buy the game. The Price is super low for the Contet you get.

Another game similar to this one that you could play is "Long Way TD". Tho the upgrades don't work at all in this game and the waves just seem to go on forever. Everything just works so well in Defender's quest. I think, the only other game that was nearly as addicting and can compete with Defender's quest would be "Castaway Island Tower".

deano2099
29-01-2012, 07:28 PM
This game is addicting as hell, best 5 I ever spent

P.S: fuck you Axxima Muttanaxxor, with your 10.000.000 health! You fucking Mythically Delicious Mammal!

Finally got him today - wasn't sure I'd make it when I got him to 10% and discovered you couldn't NOM him, but just managed it.

larsiusprime
30-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Terribly sorry about the downtime! The hanging on load-up is DEFINITELY a bug. If it happens again, try this - UNPLUG the internet and see what happens. The game should correctly detect NO connection to the server, but I think a laggy connection creates a different error I'm not explicitly listening for.

At any rate, this error should definitely be fixed in the next patch and I'm SO sorry about it. I never meant for an auto-update mechanism to keep people from playing the game!

alienchild
30-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Great Game! I have completed all content on 3 stars now so eagerly await the new features.

Not sure if this is a bug or not but I have reached level 40. It says maximum level but after quitting and returning the "Max Level" label disappears and I can get XP again. When the characters level up they get reset back to 40 but I can use the skill point they got for their "level up".

One suggestion at this point is I found money hard to come by - especially if you want to try reset skill points. I personally hate to "grind" to get money or XP so would suggest you also create a multiplier for money/coins as well as the XP multiplier.

larsiusprime
30-01-2012, 05:38 PM
@alienchild:

The next version will include a scrap multiplier for sure!

Also, the level cap is indeed a bit buggy and something we're meaning to fix - the reason we threw it in there was so that we could raise it as a reward from bonus challenges in the forth-coming version, and so that by the time the bonus version comes out, all of you great fans haven't obsessively ground yourselves up level 99 and have it be way too easy :)

Oshada
01-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Someone please tell me how to get Axxima Muttanaxxor, I've basically given up :'(

Aside from that, I only have two more Extremes to go. This game has sustained me through a week of no Internet access, I'm extremely grateful to it!

deano2099
01-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Someone please tell me how to get Axxima Muttanaxxor, I've basically given up :'(

Aside from that, I only have two more Extremes to go. This game has sustained me through a week of no Internet access, I'm extremely grateful to it!

SPOILERS!

You'll want a full complement of archers, preferably all upgraded to level 20 with decent weapons/blot out the sun. Put down as many as you can to cover the entrance and as much of the initial path as possible. Boost them to boost 5. You'll also need a unboosted berserker harvesting the other sheep for mana, and an unboosted ice mage at the top of the path to slow him down (the more points in the initial skill and slowing the better). Then just run until he's out of range of the first archer, recall and reposition her and boost her back up to boost 5. You'll also need to cycle in new frost mages (I positioned them every 3 spaces, but that might have been too much) to keep him slowed.

When you get to the corner areas, you'll note that your archers can cover a much wider range before they need moving, so you'll get some excess mana at which point you can drop down extra units. Boost 5 dragons are handy as they do most damage while in melee range but will continue to do fire damage for a good while after. I also found berserkers to be better than knights.

Use enrage whenever it's available once you're set up (the more it's upgraded the better). It's also worth noting that if you pause the game and recall a unit, you won't get the mana back for it until you unpause. This is good, as if you're at/near max mana, you can recall a unit, drop it down somewhere else, fully boost it and then replenish a lot of the spent mana right away.

I was constantly running at 4x, pausing whenever he left range of an archer to reposition her, then back to 4x.

alienchild
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Axxima Muttanaxxor was easily the hardest challenge for me until I figured out how to do him. Very similar to what deano suggests here. Once the strategy is right he is easy :)

Corpekata
02-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Blarg, didn't notice the coupon codes were only good for January. Entered my code from the newsletter and went nooooooooooo.

deano2099
03-02-2012, 01:38 AM
How do you get the rewards from endless? Am sure I lasted about 60 waves tonight but got nothing?

alienchild
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
How do you get the rewards from endless? Am sure I lasted about 60 waves tonight but got nothing?

I haven't managed to get the rewards from endless either - probably a bug :)

Icarus
03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Endless mode? How do you go about getting that?

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Berzee
03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
The characters in this game say so many stupid funny things. :D

Best of all so far is the conversation when ranger lady whoms name I forget warns Azra about SPOILERSallying with the dragonSPOILERS.

IndelibleStamp
05-02-2012, 07:48 AM
For those who've beaten it, how long does it roughly take to finish the game on Normal difficulty?
I really like what I've played of it so far, but I hardly get time these days to game.

Icarus
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I finished it in about a day of pretty solid playtime after importing my save from the demo, and playing everything on 4x speed.

Edit: That's not a 100% playthrough with all challenge levels completed, that's finishing the story.

deano2099
05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
For those who've beaten it, how long does it roughly take to finish the game on Normal difficulty?
I really like what I've played of it so far, but I hardly get time these days to game.

I think I put in around 7-8 hours to reach the end, though I did a lot of back-tracking to try earlier stuff on advanced difficulty. Now up to 12 hours with 5 insane levels left to finish.

It's really good for a quick go though, as the individual levels won't take longer than 10 minutes each (and rarely more than 5 once you get the hang of it and play at a high speed).

IndelibleStamp
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks, 7-8 hours is around my sweet spot. In Act 3 now, and I'm playing in bursts too..

Setari
06-02-2012, 05:16 AM
I think I have a slight bug, when I have the game up and running (even just at the title screen), if I open another window it will try and be the first top window and I keep having to click inside the other window. It's even hard to type because I have to keep clicking in the window every three words, lol. Just thought you ought to know :D

Edit: Just needed to shift the healers around a bit. Duh.

Revisor
06-02-2012, 08:18 PM
The demo grabbed me and I'm now a proud owner of DQ as well. :)
This happened to me only twice in the last year - with Spiderweb's Avadon and with the wonderful Unepic.

larsiusprime
17-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that Defender's Quest now has it's own official forum and wiki!

http://www.defendersquest.com/community.html

So if you guys want to give us any suggestions or trade tips/strategies with other fans, or report some bugs, that's the first place I look.
Thanks for all your support!

Revisor
23-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I finished Defender's Quest yesterday and I feel obliged to very warmly recommend it to all!
Don't ask, just try the demo and you will buy it.
http://www.defendersquest.com/play_demo.html

Lars, kudos to all of you. Great fun, good balance and great dialogues! I loved Slak.
// Just fix the bug with healers not attacking dark creatures by default please, that was confusing the first two times.

ZIGS
24-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Healers are broken now, if you upgrade over level 2, they just won't do anything. This needs a fix soon

Revisor
24-02-2012, 08:54 AM
They do their work if you switch their strategy manually from Both to Heal or Attack.