PDA

View Full Version : Great Co-op Experiences You Have Had

Doesn'tmeananything
20-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I've specifically indicated co-operative portion so as to stipulate the notion of working together to achieve a certain goal and differ it from general multiplayer stuff.

Share and recommend!

My recent favourite would have to be BF3 which, I think, is a great example of a diverse and tactical co-operative play in a very dynamic environment. Depending on a map, a certain location, my class or that of my buddy/buddies (in most case that was only my brother), the skill of my team and the enemy team, I'd had all the possible military scenarios, ranging from entrenched, biting off inches of the land warfare to local blitzkriegs with precise air attacks. And, really, everything between that. It's fair to say that some of them may arise naturally when you play alone, but having just one more player with whom you can actively communicate makes an enormous difference and immensely widens up the set of tactics that you can employ in a game.

And the map design, being mostly great, also supports and encourages that micro co-operation.

My brother and I have also dabbled in Last Stand (not a fan of changes Relic have made to the normal multiplayer), and the variety is strong enough to keep us going. On that note, I'd also like to try League of Legends.

I'm also more and more swayed towards strategy games. Defcon was keeping me intrigued, definitely the game I want to play co-operatively. If anyone tried that, is it good? Though I understand that singleplayer alone is very much worth it.

Any other strategy games that are good when played in teams?

Fumarole
20-11-2011, 08:31 PM
The bank mission in Raven Shield comes to mind first for me. This mission alone occupied many hours of LAN play for my group. Finally finishing it successfully with no friendly losses was a moment of pure joy.

Tikey
20-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I was playing the coop mod for FEAR with a friend. We were easily killing baddies until a giant robot appears through a wall in the best cool aid man imitation. Without a second delay we both, without knowing the other one was thinking the same, run towards it and KICK IT. Seconds later we were obviously respawining after a comical death.

Heliocentric
20-11-2011, 09:01 PM
CoH has some great ebb and flow structured between the commander types. I know there are others but I'm coming up blank.

Squiz
20-11-2011, 09:05 PM
1. Team Fortress 2: For me, teaming up with a friend as a Soldier-/Demo(knight)/Heavy & Medic whilst communicating via Skype counts as one of the purest forms of co-op in games.

2. Magicka: The game is so much better if there is someone to share your frustration with. :)

westyfield
20-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Left 4 Dead, obviously.

DaftPunk
20-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Best Coop experience for me was in original Ghost Recon games,R6:Rogue Spear and Raven Shield,Both SWAT 3 and 4,OFP and Arma series,Splinter Cell;Chaos Theory,L4D2 and Company Of Heroes.

Spacewalk
20-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Playing that old Aliens Doom wad years back with a friend, pretending to be the marines in the film and shrieking like Sheilas whenever things would jump out of the walls to kill us. That's pretty hard to top because I haven't had that kind of fun since.

airtekh
20-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I started a similar thread to this (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1885-Great-co-op-experiences) a few weeks ago.

I'll just reiterate what I said there, which is that Portal 2 has a fantastic co-op campaign.

Taidan
20-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I love Gears of War to bits. Never actually played it single player, but the 2-player story co-op mode is definitely a blast. It's obviously been designed from the ground up to be played that way, and it shows in the level of co-operation that flies around naturally during the course of gameplay.

Portal 2 is pretty much self explanatory. I played it over the internet with a "friend of equal gaming prowess", with the mic constantly open so we could hear every last curse and mumble. It's definitely a high-point.

Also, as I've mentioned before about 60,000 on these forums, Baldur's Gate was a definitely a high-point. Unlike Gears of War, I don't think the game itself naturally benefits from having extra players around, but as a way to spend quality time with some friends it's definitely an experience.

Finally, and ultimately, is World of Warcraft. The one thing that it still does better than any other game out there is the endgame raiding content, which is basically: A) a co-op action RPG, and B) The hardest f**king game you'll ever play, if you want it to be.

The levels of individual skill needed are high, but the act of co-ordinating 10-25 (or 40, for the old-school) people to achieve the same, very difficult goal is both incredibly frustrating and rewarding, especially when the failure of a single player could very easily mean the failure of the entire group. I can very confidently say that some of the best gaming experiences in my life so far happened during the 6 years I spent with that game, and they all happened with other people playing besides me.

airtekh
20-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I love Gears of War to bits. Never actually played it single player, but the 2-player story co-op mode is definitely a blast. It's obviously been designed from the ground up to be played that way, and it shows in the level of co-operation that flies around naturally during the course of gameplay.

I never knew Gears of War had co-op, must check it out at some stage. I only played the single player portion when I played it.

metalangel
20-11-2011, 11:47 PM
They've all had co-op, Gears 3 now has four player co-op and well done to Epic for managing it, too. There's also hardly any of the irritating 'let's split up, but if we die then the mission instafails' from the first game. Training the AI to go and assist all downed characters whether player or not was a big step toward this in Gears 2.

I've also had a lot of fun playing Halo 3 through on co-op (less so in Reach) as some of the setpieces are just fantastic fun to attempt over and over again with your friends trying out different tactics. The huge battle against two Scarabs, for example, is in a giant valley filled with vehicles, and you spawn on a hill with a number of jeeps and two aircraft so every time you all die you can try another approach.

Saint's Row 2 was fun to co-op through. Dead Rising 2 would have been more fun if it didn't kick your friend out every time you saved the game.

westyfield
21-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Is the Gears of War 1/2/3 co-op different to Horde Mode?

TailSwallower
21-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Gears Co-op is playing through the main campaign with a buddy - storyline, cutscenes and all. Whereas horde mode is just endless swarms of ugly dudes coming at you in a static arena environment.

So yeah, very different, and Gears 1 didn't have Horde mode, 'cause it hadn't become a staple of FPSes yet (I'm trying to remember if it was Gears 2 or ODST that popularised it, but I'm drawing a blank).

FMAN
21-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Jurassic Park Mod for Warcraft 3 (must try!)

Infinite Spawn map for Age of Empires 2

ekginaSpieagel
21-11-2011, 07:08 AM
They've all had co-op
http://www.powerpointcompression.com/ht.jpghttp://www.aasseenontv.com/jh3.jpg
http://www.powerpointcompression.com/am.jpg

amusingthebrood
21-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Some slightly more unusual games for me: the Serious Sam series. They are hardly the most strategic of games but they are hard on the higher difficulty levels and for my friend and I, neither of whom are great FPS players, the experience of beating them together was exciting, satisfying, and required a fair amount of team work.

metalangel
21-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Is the Gears of War 1/2/3 co-op different to Horde Mode?

Co-op is two players (four in Gears 3) playing through the story together.

Horde is five players (Gears 2 and 3 only) in a large enclosed level fighting off 50 waves of AI monsters.

hamster
21-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory coop with a friend. Even though the damn missions kept bugging out, it was damn fun. We also played it on expert so everything had to be non-lethal.

GothicEmperor
21-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Lost Planet 2 where you and your buddy wer riding in a train, with a huge monster chasing you, and you had to use a giant cannon mounted on the train to shoot at the monster. Firing and aiming took several steps each (and required a lot of cooperation), and you were assaulted with little monsters the whole time.
It's honestly an awful game, but co-op is loads of fun. Not just some silly tagged-on horde mode. Rainbow Six games are also loads of fun.

airtekh
21-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory coop with a friend. Even though the damn missions kept bugging out, it was damn fun. We also played it on expert so everything had to be non-lethal.

Did you keep getting disconnected after a few minutes of play?

That's what happened to me and a friend a few weeks ago. It even disconnected when we were playing on a virtual LAN instead of Ubi's servers.

Constant googling and trawling Ubisoft forums for a solution just led us to the conclusion that it was a persistent bug that never got fixed. A real shame because I hear the co-op in Chaos Theory is excellent. :(

hamster
21-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Back then, I lived probably less than 1 km from him. The thing would disconnect every now (sync error I think) but not every few minutes. We still managed to beat just about all of them I think.

In fact at one point I think we used the same wifi connection from the same router. It still managed to throw up a sync error. On the contrary the Spies vs. Mercenaries mode worked flawlessly.

db1331
21-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was a great time in co-op. There is something so powerful about holding your grapple line taut as your partner is using it to traverse a nasty spike pit and knowing that all you have to do is let go of shift and you will be all square for him crushing you with that giant boulder back there.

DaftPunk
21-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Never had any problems in Chaos Theory coop,and i played with people from all over the world.

Heliocentric
21-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Never had any problems in Chaos Theory coop,and i played with people from all over the world.

Its an odd one, some people it worked flawlessly with others it failed like crazy, some the right person needed to be hosting and it was fine. I honestly have no idea, but its worth trying to get it to work.

FMAN
22-11-2011, 05:21 AM
SWAT and Counter-Strike

Grizzly
22-11-2011, 05:46 AM
ARMA. The game more or less evolved into having an awesome co op mode.

hamster
22-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Counterstrike has co-op? I'd argue that there's no co-op even within the same team lol.

Heliocentric
22-11-2011, 09:44 AM
BTW, a large cause of sync issues in Chaos Theory COOP is low frame rates prompting false positives on sync errors, try lowering your settings until FPS is smooth, both players.

Juan Carlo
22-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Once while drunk and playing L4D2 VS I got everyone on both teams in a pub game of strangers to stop fighting and start dancing for the rest of the game. For some reason the image of Ellis and a jockey and a tank all putting aside their differences to dance on the race car in the final level of "Dead Center" stays with me. It was so delightfully absurd and whimsical. I didn't even ask, either, it just kind of happened.

I often like to try to get people to subvert game rules in MP games when I'm bored, so I took it as a personal victory.

metalangel
22-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Once while drunk and playing L4D2 VS I got everyone on both teams in a pub game of strangers to stop fighting and start dancing for the rest of the game. For some reason the image of Ellis and a jockey and a tank all putting aside their differences to dance on the race car in the final level of "Dead Center" stays with me. It was so delightfully absurd and whimsical. I didn't even ask, either, it just kind of happened.

I often like to try to get people to subvert game rules in MP games when I'm bored, so I took it as a personal victory.

Epic announced there'd be special rewards* in Gears 3 for people who reached rank 100 in Gears 2 multiplayer. Thing is, it's a long way to 100, once you're at 75 or so you're still only halfway there.

Anyway, they did XP events, where the XP was multiplied. They did one involving Facebook or something where the number of likes determined the multiplier. So, it was the Labor Day weekend, and it was 24x XP.

The easiest way for a lot of people to earn XP is to play King of the Hill. One team stands inside the 'hill', the other team all step inside it together, capturing it in two seconds and scoring. They all then step back outside together, so the team inside causes it to be lost immediately. Repeat this. If you get a rhythm, you can be scoring every four or five seconds. The sight of the big beefy Gears characters line dancing in and out of the capture radius is fantastic. Here's a video of it in action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kBjxHy2_nM). My house rang to that BING! BONG! CRUNCH! sound all weekend.

Now, in order for this to count, you have to be in a public game. You can't hear the other team. How to communicate you're in the mood to do this? Pull out your smoke grenade and swing it around! The teams would charge at each other swinging their grenades. Maybe someone on one side wouldn't realize and open fire. The rest had to resist the urge to fight back and continue swinging their grenades. Once the non-verbal agreement was reached, people just knew what to do. Once team would get inside the radius. The rest would array around the outside. The dance began. Before they completely scored, people just knew to swap around so the other team had their turn to dance in and out of the radius. A dozen people who couldn't hear each other, all working together.

Occasionally you'd have someone who just refused to get in on this, but also refused to go find another game (good luck to them, nobody was playing KOTH 'properly' on these XP event days). Their own team would try and shield the 'enemy' from being shot, other players would forgo their bonus score to try and hunt down this uncooperative player before he found frag grenades and lobbed them into the radius.

It was silly, strange, and great fun.

*the reward was a medal signifying your achievement, and a complete set of gold-plated weapons in Gears 3.

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 10:19 AM
System Shock 2. Still the best ever coop experience to date.

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is such a great co-op experience for the puzzles and the hectic escapes. Breath-taking, literally.

The best co-op experience happened in Magicka. A good friend and me were practicing spells, including the Meteor Shower, which we both found very useful (we learned to raise Shields really, really quickly). Testing our casting-speed (as it's a complex spell), we attempted to learn to cast it as fast as possible without fail. I give it a good go, being reasonably fast. My friend goes "Oh, I can do better", and starts channeling flawlessly like a pro.

And then he exploded, because of casting the spell on himself instead of hitting Space.

metalangel
22-11-2011, 10:43 AM
System Shock 2. Still the best ever coop experience to date.

Really? I found the terror and sense of isolation was gone when there was someone else to talk to.

QuantaCat
22-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Really? I found the terror and sense of isolation was gone when there was someone else to talk to.

Really not. Shared fears are always the best :D

metalangel
22-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Hmm. I suppose it's down to having a companion who goes along with the mood and takes the time to listen to the audio logs.

Alas, nothing ever helped the ridiculous player model, Moe Howard in swimming goggles, mincing along with a shotgun held limply in one hand.