PDA

View Full Version : Bright lights/the sun in games - do you squint?

metalangel
21-11-2011, 12:34 AM
As per the title.

When there's a bright light in a game (the sun, a BF3 flashlight, etc) do you find you squint if you look at it? Or is my brightness up too high?

Kelron
21-11-2011, 12:37 AM
I don't. It couldn't be any brighter than a blank white page, could it?

metalangel
21-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Maybe I have sensitive eyes? Maybe the illusion of the bright light is so convincing it's an involuntary reflex? That's what I'm wondering!

Kelron
21-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Presumably it is a reflex, as squinting won't help you see better.

Memph
21-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Squint? No. Playing Battlefield 3 in a dark room on default contrast though can burn my retinas so hard when i close my eyes i can almost make out the words 'noobs', 'hax!!' and a crosshair.

metalangel
21-11-2011, 12:58 AM
The default contrast in BF3 seems ridiculous anyway. It's BLINDING outside in the sun and then pitch black inside the tunnels and warehouses.

Keep
21-11-2011, 01:27 AM

I just held a white page up to my laptop screen. Then I turned the brightness all the way down. I could still make out your avatar through the sheet.

westyfield
21-11-2011, 02:02 AM

Maybe it's the contrast between the bright area and the rest of the screen?

I just held a white page up to my laptop screen. Then I turned the brightness all the way down. I could still make out your avatar through the sheet.

I think Kelron meant a blank white page on your screen, e.g. a blank Word document.

somini
21-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Maybe I have sensitive eyes? Maybe the illusion of the bright light is so convincing it's an involuntary reflex? That's what I'm wondering!
I do too. It's either a involuntary reflex, or the immersion is TOO MUCH!

thegooseking
21-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Well, a white page on the screen is emissive, so it's the same brightness all the time, while a white page in real life is reflective, so it depends how much light is hitting it.

As for squinting at a bright light, it's not so much that the light is bright, but that it's a sudden switch from darkness to brightness (think of switching the kitchen light on first thing on a dark winter morning). That was the whole sell behind HDR in the first place, back when Half-Life 2 came out; it was supposed to be used to represent that phenomenon. So in that case your screen is kind of doing the squinting for you, I think?

Kelron
21-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I think Kelron meant a blank white page on your screen, e.g. a blank Word document.

Yes, I did.

GothicEmperor
21-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Backlighting is very important; you need some light outside your monitor else your eyes will feel like they're getting stabbed. My desks' under a window, and I've got two desk lamps for when it gets dark.

My monitor's default brightness is rather low (just the way I like it); I've even had to increase brightness in a few games lately because everything was too dark, especially with the whole 'player's view realistically adjusts to brightness' thingy games have these days.

Keep
21-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, I did.

Ah. My mistake.