PDA

View Full Version : Numbers for Crysis 2 sales?

telpscorei
08-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know how well Crysis 2 is doing in terms of sales?

I like to think of the two games as part of a grand experiment. Crysis 1 sold 3 million (and Warhead 1.5 million) according to the bajillion news articles that popped up when I googled "crysis sales". However Crytek were disappointed with sales with Cevat Yerli stating that he felt that it should have sold 4x -5x more than it did. This despite the fact it's one of the best selling PC games of all time (yay wikipedia).

Now the numbers I have for Crysis 2 are from VGGameChartz, which suggest that in total; Crysis 2 sold 835K units on 360, 590K units on PS3 and 210K on PC. That's a grand total of 1.635 million.

I'm pretty sure these numbers don't include digital sales, so the PC numbers are probably soft, but I would think the console numbers are good. Does anyone know of any higher/newer estimates?

From the looks of things Crysis 2 has sold very poorly in comparison to Crysis 1. Which makes me further wonder about the actual effect of piracy on the PC platform. I, like many others I would think, would prefer piracy on the PC drastically reduced/eliminated, but I think that the Crysis franchise serves as a nice example of how NOT to react to your game being pirated heavily.

Rossi
08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Crysis 2 had a stigma attached to it though. And that was it was a console port. Crysis 1 was a great way of showing off your superPC and I think a lot of PC players bought it just as a fancy benchmark (and a game too of course). Every PC gamer can smell a console port a mile away, which I think is why Crysis 2 sold quite badly. Plus the fact is was no where near as good as the original

Squiz
08-06-2011, 04:17 PM
A wee bit off the point, but does anybody know reliable sale figures for Dragon Age 2? I read very divergent estimates around the internet, ranging from "very poor" to "more than DA1".

Maykael
08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
A wee bit off the point, but does anybody know reliable sale figures for Dragon Age 2? I read very divergent estimates around the internet, ranging from "very poor" to "more than DA1".

If they were better than the sales of the original we would have heard something by now...

ON TOPIC: PC gamers were feeling a bit betrayed (simplified suit powers, retarded video options and auto-aim at launch + unoriginal MP) and Crysis is not such a big IP as on the PC. It's normal that it sold worse. Bad strategy from Crytek. And now they're doing some (probably on-rails) Kinect crap for the Xbox 360...

Man Raised By Puffins
08-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I believe the only official word is that it hit 1 million within a week or two of release. Beyond that I don't think EA have released any numbers. There are some numbers from VGChartz doing the rounds however, but they're rather renowned for pulling numbers out of their collective bottoms so I'd put precisely zero stock in those.

nickstrats
08-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Is VGChartz even a reliable source for videogame sales?

I wouldn't be surprised if Crysis 2 didn't sell well due to lack of anti-cheat in multiplayer (you could edit your local config file and use it on MP), on top of the other aforementioned reasons.

SirKicksalot
08-06-2011, 04:39 PM
May 4th: Crysis<sup>®</sup> 2, Dragon Age™ 2, and Dead Space™ 2 each sold in more than two million units.

http://investors.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=574530

sabrage
08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
If they were better than the sales of the original we would have heard something by now...

Dragon Age 3 already got announced

telpscorei
08-06-2011, 07:07 PM
May 4th: Crysis<sup>®</sup> 2, Dragon Age™ 2, and Dead Space™ 2 each sold in more than two million units.

Hmmm, that doesn't seem too far off the original estimate from VGChartz. I imagine the rest of the numbers were digital downloads / possibly poor numbers from VGChartz.

That said it seems like they've traded one format for several, and still managed to sell less than the original Crysis...

SirKicksalot
08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
That said it seems like they've traded one format for several, and still managed to sell less than the original Crysis...

Crysis hit 1 million in February 2008, more than two months after launch. Crysis 2 passed two millions in less than six weeks.
The real question is how much staying power it has. On consoles, initial flops like Enslaved managed to break the 1 million barrier in a couple of months. On PC, games are traditionally slow burners and keep selling month after month and year after year. But Crysis 2 "enjoyed" some really bad word of mouth.
I doubt it will sell more than Medal of Honor's 5 million copies.

Rii
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I like to think of the two games as part of a grand experiment. Crysis 1 sold 3 million (and Warhead 1.5 million) according to the bajillion news articles that popped up when I googled "crysis sales". However Crytek were disappointed with sales with Cevat Yerli stating that he felt that it should have sold 4x -5x more than it did.

*snickers at the idea of Yerli expecting twice as many sales as Halo 3*

Lightbulb
08-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Crysis was a continual seller. It sold that many units over a number of years. I picked it up last year for example.

Crysis 2? Who cares?

Basilicus
08-06-2011, 10:54 PM
1. Crysis had a huge buzz around it. It was THE game to test your rig on and enjoy looking as good as anything else for years and years. Crysis 2 sold itself primarily on its storyline. Crysis wasn't exactly known for its storyline, so...this was the wrong way to advertise.

2. PC gamers have grown accustomed to a new economy - that of buying on sale. To notch the massive sales of a Portal 2, you have to make your game's release a genuine event. You want to be one of the people who can talk about it that week with your friends. Crysis 2 had no such draw. I think a lot of people looked at Crysis 2 and said, that'll be great for $30. I also think the $60 instead of a $50 pricetag in some places made gamers stop and wait. It'll keep on picking up unit sales nicely as time goes by, though this will be offset by the continually decreasing sale prices.

3. I think they expected to make a bigger mark in people picking up a new multiplayer game. They thought the appeal was there, but I'd guess most folks looking for modern shootery are content with the content that's already out there and didn't see anything different enough about Crysis 2 to make it a multiplayer-focused buy.

Lightbulb
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Crysis is a surprisingly solid FPS. A lot of people say what you said but for me its what an fps should be...

ArtVandelay
09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I have to agree that Crysis was a solid FPS.

BobsLawnService
09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Crysis 1&2 are tech demos and judging by how often the technology gets licensed out not very good tech demos at all. There is no gameplay in them whatsoever

I really love it when people who did not even play the game spout this BS. Crysis is probably one of the best PC FPS games ever released. (Up until the aliens arrive anyway.)

Basilicus
09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Crysis was a very solid shooter, moreso when you look at the FPS entries that have come out since. I remember feeling slightly cold about it because I'd played the expansive Far Cry 2 first, but even so I thought it was a quality game.

Ravenger
09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Crysis is a far better FPS than 90% of the FPS market, especially if you play it on delta difficulty where it forces you to be stealthy.

Crysis 2 had an incoherent plot, and was obviously designed as a console friendly multiplatform game, which had a lot of adverse effects on the graphics, size of the levels, control scheme and UI compared to the first game.

Crysis 1 felt like a PC game. Crysis 2 felt like a console game.

I've played through Crysis 1 several times. Crysis 2 I found it hard to motivate myself playing it through once.

CuriousOrange
09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Crysis is still the best fps released since Crysis. IMHO.