PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Windows XP, Which Drivers Do I Need to Install????

XAuTomaT1CX
21-11-2011, 10:26 AM
So a month ago I Reinstalled I couldn't get my audio to work and my pc was running slower. So I wiped out the partition (on Ubuntu 10.04 @ moment of speaking)

'm asking this because apparently windows automatic updates will automatically download drivers

I Know I have to Install Drivers for Motherboard & Video Card So Which Drivers should I Install Before Windows Automatic Updates & In What Order Do Install them in.

I know it's alot to be asking random people on the internet and if you can take a few minutes out of there time to do that for me, It would make my life alot more easier and I can spread love instead of having murderous thoughts, like I'm having right now and you could be a live savior literally jk kinda of ;)

My Motherboard - Dell GX620 - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19
My OS - Windows XP
My Video Card - Nvidia Ge-Force 8600

Do I have to or should I Install Drivers For these Components, does the automatic updates do this already?
CPU
Hard-Drive
Monitor
Network Card & SSD & Sound Card (Don't have any of them @ the moment, but if you do, do you have to, I'm probably going to have to put a network card in my march build)
Optical Drive
Ram

DigitalSignalX
21-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Windows update will install most drivers and make your rigs hardware "functional" - don't worry about the install order. However, the drivers Microsoft employs for 3rd party hardware are often out of date, and you'll do well to visit sites like Nvidia and the Dell site to get the most recent versions which will insure better compatibility with newer software (games). Don't forget all the stuff like Java, Direct X, C++ distro, etc which a lot of apps use but do not install automatically.

PS: administering Ubunto and asking for windows driver help is curiously ironic...

XAuTomaT1CX
22-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Windows update will install most drivers and make your rigs hardware "functional" - don't worry about the install order. However, the drivers Microsoft employs for 3rd party hardware are often out of date, and you'll do well to visit sites like Nvidia and the Dell site to get the most recent versions which will insure better compatibility with newer software (games). Don't forget all the stuff like Java, Direct X, C++ distro, etc which a lot of apps use but do not install automatically.

PS: administering Ubunto and asking for windows driver help is curiously ironic...

So Is the order I Should Install?: - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19
1. Install Windows XP
2. Burn Drivers these drivers to disk an install on PC: Audio, Chipset, Input & Network & Scan for all Missing Drivers anyway or just burn all the drivers on the site to disk and go to device manager and find the missing ones?
3. Automatic Windows Updates
4. Nvidia Ge Force 8600 Drivers

Is this the right order and which one do I do for #2

btw, I Started using ubuntu because I had to reset my bios and erased my partition (because I'm dumb) So I Installed Ubuntu and it downloaded all my drivers automatically except for video card drivers and it worked, but now I want to play some tf2, quake live & Baldurs Gate & League of Legends.

DigitalSignalX
22-11-2011, 06:28 PM
You shouldn't need to burn anything to disc unless your pc is lacking network connectivity after the XP install and you're running things from a 2nd PC? Or is the dell site is only giving you a disc image to download? Again, the only priority driver is the network access AFAIK, everything else can go in any order you please. Just be sure to check for vendor updates after you do windows updates.