PDA

View Full Version : Who here plays MU*s?

Harlander
21-11-2011, 01:18 PM
A spin-off from the discussion on the latest post about EVE raised the topic of MUDs and the like.

I can't do a search for MUD, so I'm going to risk repeating the question:

Who plays MU*s? Which ones? How long ago did you get into them? And such.

Personally, I've been playing a lot of Cybersphere lately. Gotta love bleak, backstabby cyberpunk malarkey. In the past, I've spent some time on the rather delightful Discworld MUD, bounced hard off things like Dartmud and Accursed Lands, and drifted through a number of RP-focused MUSHes..

I got into MUDs at the dawn of my Internet existance, probably one of the ones bundled with Compuserve or AOL or whatever lame portal service we used free disks for back in the dark dial-up days. Even now, their rich texty worlds still call out to me.

Heliocentric
21-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I was big time into TDZK for years, only got out because it was eating my life.

R-F
21-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I played Iron Realms MUDs for a little bit until I realised it was just a ridiculous thing that favoured people who put 5k into a game without graphics.

Of which there were a surprising amount.

There ARE some okay MUDs, but most of them are dead now. There was an awesome MUD where you played as a crewman on a spaceship who just woke up out of statis. Everyone was starving since the only real amount of food coming into the game was from new member's packages and it was just crazy and awesome and SERIOUSLY HARSH (permadeath etc). That, however, turned into "BUILD A MOON COLONY LOL" and it's now shit.

b0rsuk
21-11-2011, 07:13 PM
I used to play some MUDs, but got bored with their rigid structure. First, it's almost impossible to implement ranged weapons in any convincing way. Second, they all ultimately boil down to killing... or rather, farming monsters. MUDs were the first grind games, they don't have much interesting stuff in terms of game mechanics. Occasionally you meet people who roleplay well, but that's it.

They really stretch your imagination, though. You must visualize constantly. And they taught me to type really fast.

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I grew up with TubMUD, the local MUD of the Technical University in Berlin. That's also how I got into the whole IT scene.

But for playing purposes, I played two MUDs extensively: Armageddon was a hardcore perma-death roleplaying MUD set in a Dark Sun-like world. Brilliant stuff. Played for one year until my Assassin was killed in a caravan raid. Beautiful game.

The second MUD I played was PaderMUD, the MUD of the university in Paderborn. English, and also with a strong focus on mechanics and roleplaying.

I haven't been playing MUDs for over 15 years now, though, but it was a good time.

Krans
22-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I played Iron Realms MUDs for a little bit until I realised it was just a ridiculous thing that favoured people who put 5k into a game without graphics.

I used to play Achaea quite a lot -- some may recognise me as having been the Hand of Phaestus for a while. I really liked Achaea for its community's enforcement of roleplaying and correct grammar, and for the fact that my perception of the world arose mostly from my imagination (much like reading a good book). I did quite a lot of area design work for the game, too, in return for credits.

I remember spending the entirety of my revision time for my Engineering final exams at Cambridge in 2008 playing Achaea. I still got a first, though, so :P.

TailSwallower
23-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Apparently an old friend of mine is running Achaea these days - I haven't spoken to him in maybe a decade, but he was like a big brother to me for a few of my teenage years.

No idea what handle he goes by now, or what exactly is meant by 'running', but I heard it from a friend who played Achaea heavily with him for years.