PDA

View Full Version : Ortus: the RPG lovechild of Jesus and Molyneux or something like that.

Wolfenswan
22-11-2011, 03:36 PM
It mainely struck my eye on reddit because it's promised as "The RPG of your dreams!". I'm not exactly sure what the RPG of my dreams is but at least it's not the RPG of the dreams of those guys that mod tits and dragonpenisia on every surface in Oblivion and Fallout.

Or in their words:

We share your pain! So instead of waiting for a multinational gaming giant to live up to their promises, we went about creating Ortus (http://www.facebook.com/ortus.game) - a medieval fantasy RPG where you get to have your cake and eat it too. And we're almost done with it - we just need your help!
Everything in the world of Ortus is affected by your choices - your choices are your Reputation, Alignment, even Sanity, as well as the alliances you make, and eventually, the various combinations of endings you can get! And there's a lot of them.. players will be able to finish the game, go back to the start with a different approach, and experience the game in a completely new way.
Want to customize your character's abilities without being tied down to classes? You can do that too. Pick up new NPC companions; establish new friendships, romances and alliances or betray them! Our team like to think we're not just creating a game - we're creating a world for you to play in - full of as much backstory as there is good old hack-n-slash.We are essentially in the home stretch now, we are able to play-test through the vast story and put things together, but because of how ambitious the project is, funds dried up months ago, creating a difficult stress at times for the creators.
Lots of catchy words there and the hypemachine is certainly rolling, with a well received reddit thread and a page on that site for mid-20s hipsters who's trustfund isn't paying the flat anymore (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tedjazzastudios/ortus-the-rpg-of-your-dreams) (please correct me if i'm misquoting you here Nalano).

There's also more text on that page, a longer video and a really non-informative teaster. In a nutshell it apparently wants to be the next "you can do EVERYTHING" RPG with an added "but for REALZ this time".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZQVYArVuPg

Gameplay Footage starts at around 1:40 if you don't understand that weird tongue.

Goofy Aussie aside this doesn't sound too shabby at all. Note how they accompany the rather unimpressive graphics with an SO EPIC soundtrack.

TillEulenspiegel
22-11-2011, 04:12 PM
a well received reddit thread
Well, there's the first strike against it.

real-time action-based combat
Strike two...

Stranger still, you are gifted with magic - a power unheard of in the history of Candor - save in the one man who helped shape it.
Aaaaand I'm done.

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I kind of like the art-style. And having Lisa Gerrard doing the vocals (very impressive, by the way) is probably the reason they ran out of cash.

Real-time-action-based-combat in an isometric Baldur's Gate-like view is a big no-no though.

I think I'll wait for Age of Decadence....

Wizardry
22-11-2011, 05:22 PM
"We're creating the best RPG of all time. The most perfect of RPGs that you've all been waiting for. Featuring real-time combat..."

Thanks but no thanks.

Heliocentric
22-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm not interested in playing any game I've not yet played.True this.

Wizardry
22-11-2011, 06:10 PM
True this.
Did you read the post above that one at all?

Heliocentric
22-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Did you read the post above that one at all?

Eh... The bit where he said real time? Yeah, but conceptually I quoted you talking about not wanting to play a new game, in a thread where you mentioned not wanting to play a new game.

For the record this game sounds dreadful.

Wizardry
22-11-2011, 07:19 PM
I quoted you talking about not wanting to play a new game, in a thread where you mentioned not wanting to play a new game.
No. You quoted me parodying a post above. Bringing it up in another thread altogether, AND out of context, is rather inappropriate.

Heliocentric
22-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I apologise, I thought it was entirely in context. Consider the matter conceded on my part