PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see on "Good Old (but not that old) Games"

Cooper
22-11-2011, 05:23 PM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/21/gog-director-explains-the-distributors-new-direction-how-good-old-principles-still-apply/

Primarily, they are not competing with Steam, origin et al; but:
"that our initial plan for 2012 involved adding 20 “newer” titles–that is to say, titles between one to three years old. These games are well past their initial sales rush and are in what you would call the long tail of their sales phase. GOG’s mission is to give these titles a second youth, making these games virtual “collector’s editions” with bundled-in extra goodies like soundtracks and wallpapers. Adding games like this to GOG.com certainly doesn’t compete with traditional digital distributors, but will really show off how DRM-free sales channels are an excellent complement to traditional game distribution."

So, games 12 - 36 months old. Snazzed up. What do you want to see?

I'd snap up anything like Prototype or Dungeons that are -still- £15 to £20 on Steam... Games I'd like to play but are too far down my 'to play' list to spend much moneies on.

Console games depreciate in value quick, but it can often be difficult to find recently old PC games for cheap. Hopefully GoG.com is aiming towards replacing those older 'budget' lines of PC games with a digital, DRM free version...

imirk
22-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Lets See:

Civ V
Borderlands
Magika

sabrage
22-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I think it's clear that they're sticking with their mantra of only releasing, you know, games that are actually good, so I'd hate for a repetitive bore-fest like Prototype to end up on there. As far as actual modern classics that I'd like to see on there... I can only speak for the games I've played, so that'd just read like a list of my favorite games. I think that Mirror's Edge is a sterling example of a game that desperately needs a second chance.

Jajusha
22-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Populous 3
Theme Hospital

I know they are "old", but at least Theme Hospital has the kind of graphics that never gets truly outdated

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 05:47 PM
DRM-free Borderlands is a great idea.

Fred Wester tweeted he's looking forward to publishing Paradox-titels on GOG, so that's covering quite a few. Probably not Steam-works titles like Magicka though....

Lukasz
22-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I'll lol if it is Mass Effect 3

Cooper
22-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Definitely mirror's edge.

Id' buy a borderlands bundle from GoG. The borlderands Ig to for cheap (off gamersgate I think) cannot take any of the DRM :(

Shane
22-11-2011, 06:08 PM
GFWL games

riadsala
22-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm hoping Homeworld ends up there one day.

deano2099
22-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Can't help but think there's a pricing issue here. Given they're looking a charging a premium price for these (ie. over $10) and the vast majority of these games get reduced a fair few times to tiny prices on Steam, bigger than GOG generally offer on their sales...

Kaira-
22-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Valve's games.

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 06:36 PM
GFWL games

This is an excellent idea. I'd love to have Batman: AA and SFIV+ without GFWL. I want this happening hard enough to rebuy them.

Nalano
22-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Syndicate. Syndicate Wars.

Wizardry
22-11-2011, 06:37 PM
It's missing far too many games to name.

Heliocentric
22-11-2011, 07:35 PM
It's missing far too many games to name.

Yeah, just keep adding new games and don't ever stop, any list would miss something.

I'd like the 3 homeworld games, both the system shocks, the first 3 splinter cell games and LAPD Futurecop (it invented dota).

But... Heck, I'd never stop adding more .

somini
22-11-2011, 08:41 PM
This is an excellent idea. I'd love to have Batman: AA and SFIV+ without GFWL. I want this happening hard enough to rebuy them.
If Arkham Asylum gets there I'm willing to pay the full 50$ for it.
I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Borderlands it's tecnically possible since the MP uses GameSpy(UGH!), but I wouldn't choose this either. Mirror's Edge looks to me the obvious choice, now that EA is about to release another batch of classics.

The Innocent
22-11-2011, 08:45 PM
No One Lives Forever

Kodeen
22-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm still holding out for Omikron. Mr. Bowie cannot be denied.

Pertusaria
22-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm interested in seeing some '90s games - I never got to play the original Thief, Grim Fandango or Day of the Tentacle. I know Thief is online elsewhere already, but the other two are hard to find.

Sorry, having trouble coming up with newer games that I feel I really missed out on, but I'm sure that as others post I'll see things that sounded cool when they came out.

I know it's been said elsewhere, but if there's ever a PC version of Little Big Planet, I'd be interested.

buemba
23-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I know they're more than 3 years old, but if they re-released No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 I'd do a little happy dance.

Also, Lost Eden. I remember really liking that game, though I can't remember why.

sabrage
23-11-2011, 11:51 PM
If GoG released Grim Fandango in a working state on modern computers, they would be kings - nay - gods of digital distribution.

Lukasz
24-11-2011, 08:58 AM
If GoG released Grim Fandango in a working state on modern computers, they would be kings - nay - gods of digital distribution.
i have it on cd and it worked on XP without flaws except on moment where i had to use CPU killer to strain my amd3200 to 85% otherwise i could not do a certain puzzle. game doesn't work on vista or 7?

and the god would be system shock 2. For me before it was PST but it was released (bought five copies of it :D :D)

hard reset will be on gog. i'll bet a whole 4 Australian cents on that.

Memph
24-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Hmmm I too cannot think of many 1 - 3 year old games that i'd specifically want from GoG, except to avoid DRM as I can get them anywhere else. When I think of GoG i think of stuff that's hard to pick up. NOLF's were a good mention. I was gonna say SHOGO but that's already on there. Quake Wars maybe? Syndicate Wars i'd buy in a heartbeat, as a friend back in my Playstation days who borrowed it managed to spill petrol, of all things, all over the discs.

Flint
24-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I'd rather they focused on older titles that are harder/impossible to get from anywhere else than expand onto games that you can readily get from all the other digital distributors. I honestly can't think of any 1-3 year old games I'd desire to be available specifically on GOG.

Lukasz
24-11-2011, 09:43 AM
wonder whether there are any chance of UBIdrm games being on gog without the drm. if they are released at the same price as they are on steam... but without drm, ubi would see how much money they are losing by having it drmed.

anpd
24-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Rise of Nations, Age of Empires 1-3

DaftPunk
24-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Do people even read,they said games 1-3 years old and everyone is listing really older games.

squirrel
24-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Red Alert 3. GOG ensures that every release works flawlessly on modern systems. Red Alert 3 for whatever reason does not work on 64bit system. I hope GOG would be willing to get this fixed and of course, remove the DRM too.

Icarus
24-11-2011, 01:04 PM
MechWarrior 2 and 3. Also wot the chap up above said in System Shock 1 & 2.

Bristoff
24-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Freelancer!

It's impossible to find nowadays. There are no boxed copies being sold anywhere except amazon, which are gonna cost a fortune in shipping for me (if they even ship to my country).

Even working torrents are hard to find as no one shares those anymore. Please bring it back gog!

PeopleLikeFrank
24-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Just throwing in a vote for the System Shocks. It'd be neat if they had an option to get some of the older games bundled with the fan-made/improved engines. Sort of a curated version where they pick one that they think works best and create an installer version with the game's assets pre-loaded. I think I'd value that more than wallpapers & such.

Heliocentric
24-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Do people even read,they said games 1-3 years old and everyone is listing really older games.

fair enough.. this will just turn into a list of games i like though.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/pc/date
In reverse chronological order:
Minecraft
Battlefield 3 (just imagine, no origin)
MDK2 HD (to be free of beamdog)
Orcs Must Die! (its got Dungeon Keeper in its veins, even if its just a tower defence game)
The Binding of Isaac

That goes back as far at the end of august :P

PeopleLikeFrank
24-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Personally speaking, the problem with 1-3 year old games is that there aren't many that I urgently want to be on GoG, because Steam, Gamer's Gate, etc. have already served me perfectly well in that regard. There are definitely older classics missing from their library though, so it's easier to name those. I'm certainly looking forward to a lot of future purchases on GoG, assuming they manage to get interesting releases, and will probably shift a lot of business from existing outlets if they do.

My main desire for recent games would be games that I missed out on due to excessive DRM (such as Ubisoft titles), but those are the ones that least likely to be allowed on a DRM-free platform by their paranoid publishers.

Nalano
24-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Personally speaking, the problem with 1-3 year old games is that there aren't many that I urgently want to be on GoG,

[...]

My main desire for recent games would be games that I missed out on due to excessive DRM (such as Ubisoft titles), but those are the ones that least likely to be allowed on a DRM-free platform by their paranoid publishers.

This. Basically this.

Pertusaria
26-11-2011, 07:45 PM
OK, then, two new(ish) games:

I'm probably not going to get around to playing Metro 2033 for ages*, and it sounds like fun, so if they add that in a couple of years I might buy it from them.

I have Bronze on my list of games to buy eventually (thanks to Vinraith's l33t sales skills on this forum), so I guess I could buy it from GoG if they added it. However, as with most recent games, it's already available, in this case from the developer. I can't really see the developers giving up their web hosting for a while. It'd be good for it to get some love in the form of space on a "shop" website like GoG, though.

*I'm not really into shooters, and I'd have to buy a mouse and cross my fingers that my not-game-oriented computer was up to scratch.