PDA

View Full Version : Indie Game: The Movie, a movie all Inides should watch

CrazyEthan
23-11-2011, 03:02 AM
After watching this trailer, I gotta say that "we need more people making films like this and can't wait to watch the movie". I'm from an Indie developer too, we are now developing our first MMORPG after we got the investment, Now we've got the money to finish the project, have an actual office and expand our team. I don't think this investment make us less "indie", the passion is still there, the dream still exists, the difference is now we can really create our game with freedom both creatively and financially while a year before we could only do it creatively.
I like what Greg Hosclaw said about an indie studio, Indies are just Indies, they can not compare with giants such as Blizzard and EA, but they are not shitty game producers either, we can definitely find something different about indies from the upcoming movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhaT78i1x2M

DigitalSignalX
23-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Looks interesting.

CrazyEthan
23-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Looks interesting.
Yeah, the game market may be dominated by few big giants, but the passions and dreams can never be dominated.

NecroKnight
24-11-2011, 12:05 PM
The movie certainly looks interesting, I'm really looking forward to it.

ZIGS
24-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm so hipster I even dive with my thick-frame glasses on

frightlever
23-12-2012, 04:19 AM
I watched this yesterday after getting it through the latest Humble Bundle.

So... quite the freak show. How can I ever play Fez knowing the developer is such a tool? At least Edmund from the Meatboy team seemed cool. But Jonathan Blow got almost no screen time, despite, arguably, being one of the most interesting people in indie game development.

It seems people are just happy that indie games are getting some exposure, while glossing over what a hatchet job this was. I was reading the forum over at IMDB (yeah, I know) and there was some controversy alluded to about Phil Fish's ex-partner either not wanting to participate or not being asked to participate in the movie, depending on different screencaps from different versions of the movie's credits. I get that you need to package the movie so it has wider appeal, and having a couple of nerds shaking with fury like stick insects in a stiff breeze is certainly one way of doing that but I can't say I enjoyed it.

Voon
23-12-2012, 06:12 AM
If the whole movie's about Team Meat showing around how they develop their game, I'd watch it. But Phil just have to be a drama queen, so screw it and screw him too

alms
23-12-2012, 06:45 PM
But Phil just have to be a drama queen, so screw it and screw him too

The surprise for me was finding out that Fish didn't look more of a drama queen than McMillen in the movie. Actually, they manage to make it sound almost believable, considering all the legal troubles and dev hell he went through.

This is a success as a movie IMO because despite all the staged, over dramatic sequences, it still builds versions of these people who you can actually understand/relate to. If you have struggled hard in your life to achieve something, if you had something good go sour on you and make everything incredibly more complicated, if you did achieve something and it turned out you didn't get what you wanted/hoped from it - there it is.

BTW the character closest to a depiction of a human being is Refenes if you ask me. Blow OTOH came off as the biggest failure of them all because beyond the fame, success, and money, he's the only one who couldn't connect with his audience.

coldvvvave
23-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I can't bring myself to watch that. There are plenty of indie games I like but instead here we have another bunch of hipsters and their pseudo-oldskool platformers.

NecroKnight
23-12-2012, 10:10 PM
If the whole movie's about Team Meat showing around how they develop their game, I'd watch it. But Phil just have to be a drama queen, so screw it and screw him too

I wouldn't call him a drama queen, he just seems to be emotional and kinda neurotic.