PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect 1 PC - does it have mid-mission saves?

BillButNotBen
23-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I don't get much free time for gaming anymore, so I've just started on Mass Effect 1.

After wandering around the citadel for a while, I went off on my first proper away mission, and ended up driving a bouncy APC around a lava filled world.

But I seemed unable to save. The save option in the menu was constantly greyed out, and so, after playing for 20+ minutes, getting out in a base, opening gates, getting back in, and driving some more, I managed to touch a wheel to the lava and instantly fail - and be booted back to the start.

I then tried it again, and drove and shot and got out and picked up stuff and opened the gate and levelled up, and drove and shot and got to a stone barrier, and got out, and did some on foot combat (still unable to ever save) - before a rocket took out my fully shielded shepard in one shot and i was once again booted back to the start of the mission, some 30 minutes before.

At which point I had used up my entire free hour for gaming, gotten mightily pissed off, and made zero progress.

Is it supposed to be like that? A quick google implied that the console version might allow you to save in non-combat situations - but even when there were no enemies around the save option was alwys greyed out for me. Surely the whole game isn't like that?

Skalpadda
23-11-2011, 07:19 AM
If I remember it right you can save at any time when you're not in combat. Might be that the mission you were on was messed up somehow.

Heliocentric
23-11-2011, 09:06 AM
If any enemies got left behind they may flag you as in combat, you can quick save like a fiend outside of combat.

Grizzly
23-11-2011, 09:12 AM
If you dismount, the magical "In Combat" range is also reduced, and might just allow you to save.

BillButNotBen
23-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Hmmmmm.... Thanks. Now to decide if i can be bothered doing it all a 3rd time....

Burnside
23-11-2011, 10:49 AM
From memory, that mission sounds like one of the main plot quests you can stumble across while exploring - there aren't so many of those but they all had more anal save / checkpointing. So the downside is you just have to deal with it, but the upside is that the rest of the time you can normally save whenever.

orcane
23-11-2011, 01:59 PM
None of the story missions restrict saving any more than regular gameplay does. It's just what Heliocentric and Grizzly said, that while in the Mako (he sounds like he's doing Therum), your combat/detection range is much longer than if you're on foot, and if you're in combat or in range of enemies, you can't save.

It also may take a bit for the game to acknowledge that you're out of combat (you'll know when your squad mates say things like "that's all of them", or if they sheathe their weapons if you're on foot) so if you just blast stuff and push forward, especially in the Mako, you're not getting out of combat until every baddie is dead.

In general you can fix this by getting out of the Mako temporarily (as mentioned above - it will drop your detection range and unless you're still in the middle of a shootout that should suffice) or by backtracking a bit, away from new enemies. The latter also works if you get "stuck" in combat on foot during missions.