PDA

View Full Version : Steam Autumn Sale: November 23-27

buemba
23-11-2011, 07:10 PM
So it begins again, old chaps. (http://store.steampowered.com/)

trjp
23-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Orcs Must Die is a lot of fun - WELL worth 3...

Some levels can be a bit frustrating (unlike most TD games, the hard part is at the start of each level where you're easily overrun - once you've done a few waves the rest tends to be carnage - but FUN carnage).

Took me a good 10 hours to clear the core campaign on the middle difficulty - there's a harder mode and there's a score challenge for each level too - and some DLC if you're still hungry after that...

vinraith
23-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Portal 2 is $0.19 over my Steam purchase threshold, if I didn't know better I'd think they were playing with me. :) Eh, it'll wait.

Men of War: Vietnam is tempting at that price, especially with a new version of the Dynamic Campaign generator available which is Vietnam-compatible, but I wouldn't play it right away so I think I'll stick to my "no buying stuff just because it's cheap" guns. I've cut my game spending in half on that basis and still have more stuff to play than I remotely have time for, anyway.

My name is Vinraith, and I'm a game hoarder. I've been clean for 2 months...

squareking
23-11-2011, 07:21 PM
If Fallout 3 goatee falls below 10 American hundred-pence units, I will dance in a bowlful of smiles.

The JG Man
23-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Remember guys, try not to buy games until the final day because you don't know what will go on a daily sale.

Zetetic
23-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Men of War: Vietnam is tempting at that price, especially with a new version of the Dynamic Campaign generator available which is Vietnam-compatible,
I ask you, rather than browsing to their site, because I hope for a more honest answer - Have the battles progressed much beyond units charging towards you?

Nalano
23-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Portal 2 is $0.19 over my Steam purchase threshold, if I didn't know better I'd think they were playing with me. :) Eh, it'll wait.

Your avatar is apt. :P

vinraith
I ask you, rather than browsing to their site, because I hope for a more honest answer - Have the battles progressed much beyond units charging towards you?

No idea, honestly, I haven't had a chance to try it in ages myself.

Berzee
Hmm -- interested in both Risen and EYE. On the other hand, I must save some ideas for Christmas...

vinraith
23-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Your avatar is apt. :P

I chose it for a reason. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I just ran over to Matrix and dropped $20 on the new Distant Worlds expansion, which for me really is a much better buy. I'll get worlds more gameplay out of that than I would any four $5 games I might buy in a Steam sale just because they're cheap.

alset85
23-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I'd be up for a Renegade Ops 4-pack if someone from the US is hosting.

Nullkigan
23-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Men of War: Vietnam is tempting at that price, especially with a new version of the Dynamic Campaign generator available which is Vietnam-compatible

Not worth it. AFAIK DCG still doesn't do anything for AI and Vietnam is on the old engine. Use Assault Squad DCG instead.

(Setting is sadly irrelevant; Vietnam is a couple of shoddy reskins such that it's basically impossible to differentiate from the WW2 games)

Orcs Must Die is a lot of fun - WELL worth 3...
I understand OMD is more physics based and lets you freely chain traps together, but is there any other reason at all to get this if you have Dungeon Defenders?

vinraith
23-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Not worth it. AFAIK DCG still doesn't do anything for AI and Vietnam is on the old engine. Use Assault Squad DCG instead.

(Setting is sadly irrelevant; Vietnam is a couple of shoddy reskins such that it's basically impossible to differentiate from the WW2 games)

This is disappointing, but important to know. Thanks for the heads-up.

goatmonkey
23-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd be up for a Renegade Ops 4-pack if someone from the US is hosting.

Count me in too be happy to do the buying but am UK based I am assuming the US 4 pack is $15 so is marginally cheaper than the 10 UK version

PM me for steam details if interested.

Wizardry
23-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Why doesn't Steam have any RPGs?

alset85
23-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Count me in too be happy to do the buying but am UK based I am assuming the US 4 pack is $15 so is marginally cheaper than the 10 UK version

UK works as well. The difference is minimal.

DzX
23-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Risen is an RPG, and on sale. Some would argue [not I] that Mass Effect 2 is also an RPG.

imirk
23-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Risen is an RPG, and on sale. Some would argue [not I] that Mass Effect 2 is also an RPG.

oh nos you took the troll bait :P
We love you wizardry, but don't you already own all of the RPGs already made?

squareking
23-11-2011, 07:48 PM
DzX: To save you any confusion, I will direct you here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/search.php?searchid=205088).

Wizardry
23-11-2011, 07:48 PM
We love you wizardry, but don't you already own all of the RPGs already made?
I do. And thanks.

Unaco
23-11-2011, 07:49 PM

It's real simple... You can view games by category. Here is the RPG category...

http://store.steampowered.com/genre/RPG

100's of RPGs.

Estel
23-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I for one welcome to chance to purchase new games, given the recent dearth of interesting and exciting releases.

DzX
23-11-2011, 07:50 PM
DzX: To save you any confusion, I will direct you here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/search.php?searchid=205088).

It didn't work =/

Colonel J
23-11-2011, 07:54 PM
A whole lot of RPG for 8.49: Geneforge Saga 50% off. (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12171/)

Wizardry
23-11-2011, 07:55 PM
A whole lot of RPG for 8.49: Geneforge Saga 50% off. (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12171/)
Oh yeah. I forgot the Spiderweb games are on Steam now. Are the Exiles on there?

imirk
23-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot the Spiderweb games are on Steam now. Are the Exiles on there?

Negative just Geneforge 1-5 and Avadon, so far...

TillEulenspiegel
23-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Are the Exiles on there?
All the Exiles are Win16 and don't run at all on 64-bit Windows. So definitely not.

Demiath
23-11-2011, 08:01 PM

I take it that not even Geneforge 1-5, Avadon and Eschalon count as RPGs?

SirKicksalot
23-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Anyone played TDU2? Does it at least do the open world well? As in, can I take a car and drive all around the world without being bothered by races, minigames and online features?

Wizardry
23-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I take it that not even Geneforge 1-5, Avadon and Eschalon count as RPGs?
Read the rest of the thread will you?

Shandrakor
23-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I understand OMD is more physics based and lets you freely chain traps together, but is there any other reason at all to get this if you have Dungeon Defenders?

I have both DD & OMD. OMD is much more...FUN, for me. DD is team-fighting-baddies, and I have terrible luck, whereas ORCS MUST DIE is a singleplayer funfest. Pew pew, kill the baddies, and there are 3 different 'trees', if you will, permitting vast re-playability. If you select different skills/traps for a level, you will have a very different play through experience.

Also, I'm US-based, and would be very interested in a Renegade Ops team-play-thingie.

DzX
23-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Anyone played TDU2? Does it at least do the open world well? As in, can I take a car and drive all around the world without being bothered by races, minigames and online features?

I've played it...for about 10 minutes [seriously, that's how long Steam claims I've played it - I'm sure that's wrong but meh]..but honestly, for what it's worth - don't buy the game - you can drive around the world, provided you stick to the roads, but there's really nothing else to do - you might as well get Burnout Paradise or Fuel if that's your thing because the driving physics alone in TDU2 are terrible...

alset85
23-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I have both DD & OMD. OMD is much more...FUN, for me. DD is team-fighting-baddies, and I have terrible luck, whereas ORCS MUST DIE is a singleplayer funfest. Pew pew, kill the baddies, and there are 3 different 'trees', if you will, permitting vast re-playability. If you select different skills/traps for a level, you will have a very different play through experience.

Also, I'm US-based, and would be very interested in a Renegade Ops team-play-thingie.

That makes 4 then: me, you, buemba and goatmonkey. Will you pm us your Paypal if you want to host?

Demiath
23-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Read the rest of the thread will you?

No way, it's two full pages long (i.e. tediously lore-heavy) and doesn't have any stats in it.

On topic, while it might be unrealistic to expect Exile to get to Steam they should at least add Avernum as well. And Nethergate, purely for the random heck of it...

SirKicksalot
23-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I've played it...for about 10 minutes [seriously, that's how long Steam claims I've played it - I'm sure that's wrong but meh]..but honestly, for what it's worth - don't buy the game - you can drive around the world, provided you stick to the roads, but there's really nothing else to do - you might as well get Burnout Paradise or Fuel if that's your thing because the driving physics alone in TDU2 are terrible...

OK, thanks. Only OMD for me today then!

As a side note, I pre-ordered the DNF Balls of Steel edition. I don't regret it (I HAD to own it after so many years of waiting), but I'm still kind of frustrated by how cheap the game is already.

imirk
23-11-2011, 08:20 PM
No way, it's two full pages long (i.e. tediously lore-heavy) and doesn't have any stats in it.

You don't need to make excuses for failing an int check.

Flint
23-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Any opinions/thoughts/descriptions on Risen? A quick search-around would suggest that it's an opinion-splitting open world fantasy romp possibly filled with wonks/flaws, would that be somewhat correct?

buemba
23-11-2011, 08:28 PM
That makes 4 then: me, you, buemba and goatmonkey. Will you pm us your Paypal if you want to host?

Sorry, I managed to organize a 4-pack dealie through CAG. On the plus side, you guys are one person away from the requisite 4, and I imagine it won't be very hard to fill this last spot.

DzX
23-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Any opinions/thoughts/descriptions on Risen? A quick search-around would suggest that it's an opinion-splitting open world fantasy romp possibly filled with wonks/flaws, would that be somewhat correct?

Pretty much yes; you're not going to find The Witcher 2 levels of polish, but it's a decent enough game if you enjoy the likes of the Gothic series [it's a 'spiritual successor'] - it's one of the few RPG's in recent years that's not afraid to just kill you if you wander off and try to fight something you shouldn't be able to beat. You defiantly see your character grow depending on your gameplay choices. Though the story's awful, whichever faction you choose, and combat is lackluster, so as you say - it's definitely opinion-splitting - it's the traditional 'European' RPG with a slightly smaller game-world than in previous games from Piranha Bytes.

SirKicksalot
23-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Plays like Gothic (the good ones). Very difficult, but fair. The setting is a mediterranean island, so it's quite pretty. It rewards exploration better than any Bethesda game and the forests actually feel like dark, menacing forests where a wolf will kill you. It is a bit wonky, but it's worth it if you're in the mood for a challenging RPG with a rather good story and characters that feel like real people. But it turns a bit shit in the last third when it's all about dungeons and crocomen and abandons much of what made it good.

Bonus points for having Andy Serkis, John-Rhys Davies and Cersei from Game of Thrones.

Wizardry
23-11-2011, 08:39 PM
traditional 'European' RPG
What does this even mean? I'm unsure.

Nalano
23-11-2011, 08:45 PM
What does this even mean? I'm unsure.

Western RPG, to differentiate from Eastern RPG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4).

Berzee
23-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Someone in the article comments thread pointed out that the DRM for Risen on steam only has 3 machine activations that don't regenerate. Not sure if that's true but if it is, ew.

Berzee
23-11-2011, 08:57 PM
The Witcher 2 levels of polishHA! Good one, you.

Squiz
23-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Any opinions/thoughts/descriptions on Risen? A quick search-around would suggest that it's an opinion-splitting open world fantasy romp possibly filled with wonks/flaws, would that be somewhat correct?There should also be a demo up on Steam. Maybe you'll want to give that a shot before buying.

Flint
23-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, probably have to try the demo out first then. Although that particular DRM sounds... avoidable.

Scumbag
24-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Western RPG, to differentiate from Eastern RPG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4).

Is that a refrence to the danger of the conversation, or male designs in asian games?

Experiance with Steam sales has shown that the Unreal pack only goes on offer at half price and never a daily. Since it was 5 ish it was worth a shot.
Forgot how good the original UT was.

ComradePenguin
24-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Is there still space on Renegade Ops 4-pack deals? If not are there 2 people wanting it as me and friend have a pair of spare places.

Nalano
24-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Is that a refrence to the danger of the conversation, or male designs in asian games?

More or less.

thegooseking
24-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Well, I picked up the bits of the Oddboxx I didn't have (because that was cheaper than buying the bundle itself).

I also picked up AvP 2000 for 74p because apparently 2.99 wasn't cheap enough. I'm spoiled.

Anthile
24-11-2011, 02:55 AM
"Oh look, a new Steam sale. *browses* ...I already own all these games!"

\D:/

redspielened
24-11-2011, 03:14 AM
I got Children of the Nile, Syberia I&II, Thy Kingdom Come, and Disciples II Gold. I'm done!

TailSwallower
24-11-2011, 04:55 AM
There's a few I want... I would hold off until the Christmas Sale, but chances are I'll be in Russia with terrible internet when that sale drops. Hmmmmmmmm, what to do what to do.

Juan Carlo
24-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Risen is OK, but if you haven't played Gothic 1 and 2 yet I'd just get them instead. Risen is basically the exact same as those (right down to monster models in some cases), only it's a smaller world and less interesting than Gothic's prison setting (it does have better graphics and combat than the Gothics, though, so there's that).

Plus, I could be wrong but I think Risen has been cheaper before on steam. Hasn't it been at least 10 dollars in the past? 15 dollars doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. Especially during a sale when you can get like 2-4 awesome games for that price.

Heliocentric
24-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Guys just stick to buying what you'll play before the next sale... Go crazy at Christmas if you must.

Unaco
24-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Guys just stick to buying what you'll play before the next sale... Go crazy at Christmas if you must.

Yes Mother, of course.

Pfft.

Tikey
24-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I bought nexus the jupiter incident. Awesome game.
I'm waiting to see if some of the games I really want go on a daily sale.

Mcmicker
24-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Time is running out for the first day of sales, so if anyone is interested in getting into a 4-pack of Renegade Ops with me, send me a PM. I'll probably be picking one up for $15 before the deal ends.

EDIT: Pack acquired, one copy still up for grabs.

Memph
24-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Renegade Ops is fantastic. Absolutely bloody fantastic and a steal at the 4-pack price. Been caning the co-op for a good few hours now. Triggers so much nostalgic arcade joy, with the bouncy handling feeling almost exactly like Ironman Super Off Road, with the level of glorious, gleeful and gorgeous destruction reminding me of classic shoot'emups like Metal Slug and SWIV. I may buy another 4 just so I have plenty of people to keep playing it with :)

alset85
24-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Renegade Ops is fantastic. Absolutely bloody fantastic and a steal at the 4-pack price. Been caning the co-op for a good few hours now. Triggers so much nostalgic arcade joy, with the bouncy handling feeling almost exactly like Ironman Super Off Road, with the level of glorious, gleeful and gorgeous destruction reminding me of classic shoot'emups like Metal Slug and SWIV. I may buy another 4 just so I have plenty of people to keep playing it with :)

I'd love to join you. I don't know why but I can't find anyone to play with through matchmaking.

The Pink Ninja
24-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Fallout New Vegas for 4 and VVVVVV for 99p are must buys if you don't have them.

Zeno Clash is overated and silly and doesn't really work so fuck that.

I'm certainly tempted by LA Noire...

Estel
24-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I can see some people being somewhat aggrieved by LA Noire getting a 50% off discount less than two weeks after being released...

The Pink Ninja
24-11-2011, 07:08 PM
I can see some people being somewhat aggrieved by LA Noire getting a 50% off discount less than two weeks after being released...

This is why I always wait for Steam sales (And the rare midweek madness) to buy games

Scumbag
24-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, its FO:NV and all the DLC for more or less 12ish, so thats kinda nice. Plus you can pick and choose to remove some of the weapons and armor DLC if you want to.

plivesey
24-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Fallout New Vegas for 4 and VVVVVV for 99p are must buys if you don't have them.

I'm certainly tempted by LA Noire...

I agree with your comments on New Vegas and VVVVVV. However, Zeno Clash is fantastic, so I recommend that too.

And Monkey Island Bundle, for anyone who doesn't have it!

LA Noire wasn't really THAT great on the PS3, and I imagine it's even worse due to it being a port. Maybe wait for a bigger sale.

squareking
24-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Ugh. Still not sure regarding New Vegas vs. Fallout 3. I did play and finish the base FO3 story on Xbox, but I haven't tried the DLC -- and I really want to do a few survival playthroughs similar to Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud. So I know the "hardcore"/survival mods are available for FO3, but...goodness. I'm so fickle. Someone help me.

sabrage
24-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Today's Dailies are really lackluster... I won't be getting anything, but New Vegas for $5 and LA Noire for $25 seem to be the standouts.

Edit: Wow, I should've refreshed before posting.

Mana_Garmr
24-11-2011, 07:19 PM
So is there any consensus on which, if any, of the Fallout:NV DLC are worthwhile? I already have the main game.

I prefer ones that are story centred rather than just adding gear.

SirKicksalot
24-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I guess LA Noire is a huge bomb lol

plivesey
24-11-2011, 07:24 PM
So is there any consensus on which, if any, of the Fallout:NV DLC are worthwhile? I already have the main game.

Old World Blues is by far the best! This is how DLC should be done, imo. Don't bother with Dead Money, pretty boring story-wise. You may also enjoy Honest Hearts. Not tried the Lonesome Road yet - just picked it up myself.

The Pink Ninja
24-11-2011, 07:25 PM
The Total War pack would be nice if everyone didn't already have all those games...

airtekh
24-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Ooh, New Vegas for a fiver? Don't mind if I do.

The Pink Ninja
24-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Picked up the DLC for New Vegas since they're on sale.

No the Courier's stash though, since it's all just in game items, and not Gun Runners, since if I want more weapons I'll mod them in.

Kodeen
24-11-2011, 07:50 PM
The only game I've been actively thinking of buying recently, Dungeons of Dremdor, has been on "normal" sale at 50% off, so I got it. Now it may (probably not) go to 75%, meaning I wasted an entire $1.25, but that's a risk I can live with.

Fallout NV is tempting, you can get it and all the DLC for less than $20, but I still think I'll wait until it's officially a GOTY package.

piggydiggy
24-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Does Fallout NV improve on the gunplay/exploration of Fallout 3 much?

Flint
24-11-2011, 08:13 PM
It's far superior in every single way to F3.

Wizardry
24-11-2011, 08:16 PM
It's far superior in every single way to F3.
It's still worse than Doom.

sabrage
24-11-2011, 08:19 PM
How is The Lonesome Road? I have all the other story DLC

Edit: I thought Zeno Clash was good for its setting and artistic direction but even in its short running time (I beat it in one sitting, 3-4 hours) it manages to be repetitive. I'd say skip it unless the art style really appeals to you.

Juan Carlo
24-11-2011, 08:21 PM

I liked Zeno Clash. I'd definitely say it's worth 3 dollars if anyone is interested in playing an FPS with a different style of gameplay. Its combat is actually really well done, I thought, and the game is brief enough (like 4-5 hours or so) that it doesn't overstay its welcome. Plus, the storyline was consistently odd enough to hold my interest and be memorable (with some really awesome character designs as well). It's a great game to get on sale and spend an evening or two with. Not worth full price, though.

What do people think of Two Worlds? The first one, not the second one (which seems a bit too expensive still--especially its 30 dollar DLC which better be the best DLC ever given its pricetag).

archonsod
24-11-2011, 09:09 PM
How is The Lonesome Road? I have all the other story DLC

Pretty good. Finishes off the story of the Courier and is worth going through for that alone. It's also the only DLC which can affect the main map.

What do people think of Two Worlds? The first one, not the second one (which seems a bit too expensive still--especially its 30 dollar DLC which better be the best DLC ever given its pricetag).
It's fun in a tongue in cheek sort of way. The second is better (DLC is that price because it's actually all of the DLC they had planned for TWII + all the stuff they had for TWIII. Adds another chapter to the game about a third the size of the original as well as overhauls a fair portion of the original game).

Fumarole
24-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I bought it a while ago for Napoleon and not having to bother with the CDs for Medieval 2. Quite the deal.

Inverselaw
24-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Zeno Clash is really amazing. Its not really a FPS, its a FPB (First person boxer).

As for the art style, it is so insane that it actual hides the games major twist (which would be obvious otherwise). Heck it took me 3 levels to realise that the the female sidekicks giant horns were actualy a headgear and not part of her body.

As for F:NV, is the goty package going to be different in any way? I was going to wait for the goty to get under 20$ but if i can get all the expansions plus the game for under that whats the difference?

I have the F3 GOTY edition and from my understanding the only distinction from F3 + DLC is that they disabled GfWL in the GOTY edition.

Giaddon
24-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Two worlds 1 blows. When there's stuff like Risen, Skyrim, FO3, New Vegas, and Two Worlds 2 for your open RPG needs, there's absolutely no reason to play it. It's pretty wretched.

fiddlesticks
24-11-2011, 10:26 PM
It's still worse than Doom.
If the worst you can say about a game is that it's worse than Doom, you're not saying much.

Wizardry
24-11-2011, 10:31 PM
If the worst you can say about a game is that it's worse than Doom, you're not saying much.
Point is that you may as well play Doom.

sopabuena
24-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Fallout: New Vegas: The best deal of the day, totally woth the $5. I wouldn't care about this whole DLC/GOTY debate, just get the plain game, you will have many hours of gameplay on it alone. By the time you are done, DLC will probably be on sale again. The GOTY edition won't be cheaper than the current deal.

Zeno Clash: I had lots of fun with it, the combat is really fun and satisfying, totally worth it at that price.

Monkey Island Bundle: I'm not such a big fan of the new graphics, but the new voice acting and music are worth the price alone. The second game includes developer's commentary by Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman, great concept art gallery and some fun achievements to unlock for us that have played the original games many times. Go for it.

VVVVVV: Dirt cheap. You already have it, if not, get it.

I'm very tempted by L.A. Noire. A 50% price reduction is a lot for a new game, so I want to jump on it, but $25 is still a little over my budget for this kind of sales. Have you guys played the game? Is it worth it?

DzX
24-11-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm very tempted by L.A. Noire. A 50% price reduction is a lot for a new game, so I want to jump on it, but $25 is still a little over my budget for this kind of sales. Have you guys played the game? Is it worth it?

I don't own it, but the general consensus on other forums I frequent are as follows:

- It's a bad console port [runs poorly, very, very limited graphics options - poor resolution support].
- Doesn't play well with a M+Keyboard.
- Is a mediocre game in general; your choices have few consequences and the actual 'action game' part of the package [as in, outside of the adventure-game puzzle finding] isn't particularly great.

I too was tempted by it, but after seeing screenshots of the differences between 'Low' and 'High' [there's virtually no difference] and given Rockstar's previous PC track-record in recent years I'd suggest you wait for it to get even cheaper. The game's clearly bombed sales wise else they wouldn't have halved the price 2 weeks after launch - it'll be at least the same price by Xmas, if not cheaper given how Rockstar like to heavily discount their games.

SirKicksalot
24-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm expecting LA Noire to drop 66%, maybe even 75% during the winter sale.

At least the 30 fps cap is justified by the facial animation being recorded at that framerate.

R-F
24-11-2011, 11:20 PM
RIFT is pretty damn epic. Don't know how it is nowadays and I really don't feel like getting my MMO on at the minute.

Ugh. Still not sure regarding New Vegas vs. Fallout 3. I did play and finish the base FO3 story on Xbox, but I haven't tried the DLC -- and I really want to do a few survival playthroughs similar to Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud. So I know the "hardcore"/survival mods are available for FO3, but...goodness. I'm so fickle. Someone help me.

NV is infinitely better than F3, and I LIKED F3.

I'd just suggest grabbing them all, to be perfectly honest. But I agree with the general consensus that Old World Blues is the best.

R-F
24-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Drr double post

zookeeper
24-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Red River anyone? I quite enjoyed Dragon Rising, something I wasn't expecting.

Fuck it, I'm going for it.

Oooo... and cheap FO:NV dlc? Don't mind if I do.

P.S. - my hydro bill came today. Very poor planning on their part. Now, I know that technically electricity is required to play these games, but surely they'll cut me some slack... right?? RIGHT?!?!

Althea
24-11-2011, 11:46 PM
As for F:NV, is the goty package going to be different in any way? I was going to wait for the goty to get under 20$ but if i can get all the expansions plus the game for under that whats the difference?

I have the F3 GOTY edition and from my understanding the only distinction from F3 + DLC is that they disabled GfWL in the GOTY edition.
No difference in the Ultimate Edition of New Vegas and vanilla with all DLC.

As for FO3, it never had the GfWL disabled. Ever. GotY came with GfWL just as the original release did.

SirKicksalot
25-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Fallout 3 is distributed without GFWL in some regions, perhaps that's where the confusion comes from.

Inverselaw
25-11-2011, 12:56 AM
well Canada Is apperently one of those regions, or maybe its GfWL optional in the steam version or something. I dont have a GfWL account and I never needed to put one in to play F3

Mistabashi
25-11-2011, 01:12 AM
In Fallout 3 GfWL was only used to download the DLC, so it was entirely optional (although it will have been installed with the game, but wouldn't have rpompted you to register an account or anything).

Icarus
25-11-2011, 01:43 AM
I'm quite tempted by New Vegas, but Quinns' astoundingly-negative review of it still rings in my mind- that, and I bounced pretty hard off Fallout 3 so I don't know if the game style is for me. That, and I've still to finish Assassin's Creed Brotherhood before Revelations comes out and don't know if I can spare the time for another huge open-world game right now.

SirKicksalot
25-11-2011, 01:49 AM
I thought F3 was soul-crushingly mediocre and I LOVE New Vegas. Everything is better than in F3. Quinns' review is a gigantic misfire IMO.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Quinns' review is a gigantic misfire IMO.

This.

But what is it going for now? Five bucks? If it's great, fantastic! If it's just as bad as Quinns said, you're out a Starbucks coffee. Either way, we're doing you a favor. :P

sopabuena
25-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Yes, get New Vegas.

Also, many games are disscounted, but most likely won't appear on a daily sale. Any hidden gems out there I should be keeping an eye on? (I know it's wise to wait until the last day of the sale before buying anything, just in case they show up in a daily)

I have found these (mostly oldies):
EDGE $3.99 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/38740)
LIMBO $4.99 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/48000/?snr=1_200_200_251_103_2)
realMYST $2.99 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/63600)
Insecticide $1.24 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/16710)
Psychonauts $4.99 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/3830/?snr=1_5_9__13) Recently updated: steamplay, cloud saving, works on modern computers, tweaked difficulty and achievements.
Also Bastion (http://store.steampowered.com/app/107100/) is $10 but that might show up on a daily sale.

Edit: Also for adventure game fans: Mata Hari is $1.99, Broken Sword Triple Pack $2.49 (Not sure if the Smoking Mirror is the remastered version), The Whispered World $4.99, and Telltale's catalog is 33% off.

Kodeen
25-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Any hidden gems out there I should be keeping an eye on?

Just found a goodie. Serious Sam HD pack, 75% off, $7.50. Not advertised at all. Probably won't get any cheaper.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4506/?snr=1_agecheck_agecheck__13

Edit: Both the Eschalon games at 75% off as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25600/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/25620/

Tikey
25-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Nice find Kodeen. I'll keep an eye on it.
I might have a LAN coming and it'd be nice to have some Serious Sam coop.

Juan Carlo
25-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I was going to mention the Eschalon games at 75% off. I hear mixed things about them, but I downloaded the demo a while back and was in love with just the character creation screen. There are tons of stats to fiddle with and, best of all, it has a random character generation component (I really, really, hate that RPGs have done away with random character generation. It takes all the fun out as without it every single game is just min/max powergaming).

I'll also plug "Knights of Honor" (http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_234_234__12&term=knights+of+honor) for 3.99. It's an old RTS from 2005, but it's noteworthy because it has the best (or at least the most fun) espionage/diplomacy systems of any RTS I've ever seen. The Game of Thrones RTS could have learned a thing or two from it. I got it over the summer sale when it was 50% off (it never seems to go on sale individually), but it's 60% off now.

EDIT:

Plus "Rock of Ages" at 50% off. I get the sense that this didn't do as well as it probably could have, but it's a fun game and I really like ACE team, so everyone should buy it.

Memph
25-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I'd love to join you. I don't know why but I can't find anyone to play with through matchmaking.

feel free to add me up :)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/memphix

it was finicky to get a game going as a lot of the time the game seems to refuse to let the steam overlay work, without which you can't invite or join anyone's game. matchmaking is either broke, or maybe as it's lobby only you have to sit there for ages hoping on the offchance someone else is looking for a game.

Althea
25-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Fallout 3 is distributed without GFWL in some regions, perhaps that's where the confusion comes from.
Really? That sounds really odd. I know the implementation was really not that deep and could easily be disabled, but I had no idea some regions didn't have GfWL. Well, something new every day.

Oh, unless the confusion stems from how you can play it without logging in, as you can with Universe at War: Earth Assault.

Vexing Vision
25-11-2011, 10:23 AM
P.S. - my hydro bill came today. Very poor planning on their part. Now, I know that technically electricity is required to play these games, but surely they'll cut me some slack... right?? RIGHT?!?!

It's the ultimate DRM.

I've been tempted by Fallout: NV when someone just described it as a sequel to FO2, not FO3, which I find very, very appealing. Still, I only went for Zeno Clash with today's update.

Althea
25-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I've been tempted by Fallout: NV when someone just described it as a sequel to FO2, not FO3, which I find very, very appealing. Still, I only went for Zeno Clash with today's update.
It's less a case of a sequel and more... Uh... I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's not a direct sequel, but there are numerous references to both FO1 and FO2, but if you go in expecting a sequel then you'll likely be disappointed.

deano2099
25-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Any thoughts on Rollercoaster Tycoon 3?

Althea
25-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Any thoughts on Rollercoaster Tycoon 3?
If you're in the UK, retail is cheaper and has been for a while. I could be wrong but I seem to remember it being said to be just more of the same.

fiddlesticks
25-11-2011, 06:27 PM
How much you'll like RCT 3 depends on what you liked about the earlier installments. The whole "running a theme park" aspect sort of got lost in this version. There are scenarios, but they're all fairly easy and uninspired. However, it has the best sandbox mode of all three games. You're given infinite money and all possible construction options, so you can just go wild.

There's also quite a few new features, such as the coaster cam, the fireworks creator, day- and nighttime switches, pools and waterslides from the Soaked expansion and animals from Wild. There's certainly enough content to keep you entertained for a long time, if that's your thing.

I should point out that the game was very resource-intensive when it first came out. Any complex park would cause a big performance drop, especially during nighttime with all the lights. Obviously though, this was seven years ago, so a modern system probably shouldn't have many problems.

The JG Man
25-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Deus Ex for 50% off.
Serious Sam HD pack...90% off...and bought!

SirKicksalot
25-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Dead Island and King Arthur are today's best games.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 07:14 PM
How are the Sanctum DLC levels?

The Pink Ninja
25-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Hmmmm, still don't like Dead Island enough to pay 15...

How's King Arthur?

And Riddick?

Bristoff
25-11-2011, 07:38 PM
And Riddick?

Escape from Butcher Bay was a very good game, and the HD version of it that's included in Assault on Dark Athena is worth the price alone imo. It's a very good sneaky, sneaky, stabby, stabby game.

The actual Athena 'campaign' is not quite as good, but still more of the same and pretty decent.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 07:45 PM
And Riddick?

Good production values, but how high is your tolerance for repeating the same stealth section over and over because you didn't have any way of knowing what you needed to do the first few times?

The Pink Ninja
25-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Think I'll skip it then

mpk
25-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I wonder how many people are going to buy Knights of the Old Republic thinking they're getting The Old Republic.

Edawan
25-11-2011, 07:49 PM
And Riddick?
The sneaking and stabbing felt arbitrary and quickly became annoying, and to make it worse I was forced to play in a bastard low resolution because the game just didn't offer my screen's standard HD resolution.

[E] I'm tempted by Deus Ex...

The JG Man
25-11-2011, 07:55 PM
...well I rather liked Riddick. It also has stonkingly good voice acting.

deano2099
25-11-2011, 07:57 PM
If you're in the UK, retail is cheaper and has been for a while.

Cheers, saved me some monies

The Pink Ninja
25-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I wonder how many people are going to buy Knights of the Old Republic thinking they're getting The Old Republic.

In fairness they will still be getting a great game

Wizardry
25-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Nah.

10char

Scumbag
25-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Not to everyone's tastes though. Last place I worked most of the staff got it in the summer sale, dont think any of them have played it more then 30 mins. Think they were all expecting an action game.

Wizardry
25-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Not to everyone's tastes though. Last place I worked most of the staff got it in the summer sale, dont think any of them have played it more then 30 mins. Think they were all expecting an action game.
Or an RPG. =D

Similar
25-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Agreed. The first game was quite a pleasant surprise for me, even the developer commentary mode was interesting.

I think it's also the only game that has made me feel, somewhat, that I was actually in the body of the main character. Something about the way the camera and the body move gets that feeling across rather well.

Grizzly
25-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Or an RPG. =D

Hmm. I have played KOTOR (Although I didn't like it personally, since it played like Baldur's Gate forced pernamently in a third person viewmode), I wonder why you wouldn't call it an RPG, as far as I can recall, it does meet all the criteria you listed in the RPG Specifications topic.

Wizardry
25-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Hmm. I have played KOTOR (Although I didn't like it personally, since it played like Baldur's Gate forced pernamently in a third person viewmode), I wonder why you wouldn't call it an RPG, as far as I can recall, it does meet all the criteria you listed in the RPG Specifications topic.
Try moving two characters to two different places simultaneously.

=)

Casimir Effect
25-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Hmmmm, still don't like Dead Island enough to pay 15...

How's King Arthur?

And Riddick?

I enjoyed the hell out of it. In a way it can be thought of as Total War battles with RPG elements (characters you can level up), magic, plot and a more unique strategy map. Far more rough edges in the battle system than TW games though, which can put people off. I'd recommend you try just picking up the regular game (with the 2 small DLCs - Knights & Vassals and Legendary Artifacts) and see what you think. Of the other 3 DLCs, 2 are seperate, smaller-but-still-kinda-large, standalone campaigns, and the newest (Fallen Champions) is meant to bridge KA and the sequel, which comes out next year. It's on offer quite regularly so you'll have plenty of other opportunities to get the extra DLC.

It has motherfuckin' Xzibit! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmY9RSbLUW0

Ice-Fyre
25-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I so want garry's mod, but I'm skint... roll on xmas sale!!!

PeteC
25-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Bought Riddick and Sanctum for a smidgeon under 5.50. Not bad at all. Been meaning to get Sanctum for ages and really enjoyed the first Riddick game although it's been so long since I played it I remember almost nothing of it.

thegooseking
25-11-2011, 09:54 PM
If you're in the UK, retail is cheaper and has been for a while. I could be wrong but I seem to remember it being said to be just more of the same.

Hell, it's not the Platinum! edition (so no Soaked or Wild), but you can get it with NWN basic, Fahrenheit, Boiling Point, and some other, less good games (GTR, Desperados, Act of War and Marc Ecko's Getting Up) for 5 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atari-Hits-2006-PC-DVD/dp/B000HISJH6). (Though I should point out that that Fahrenheit installer doesn't work with Windows 7. The game works if you can work around the installer somehow, but the installer itself doesn't.)

Oddly enough, picking up the expansions for RCT3 to make the Platinum edition might be more expensive than getting those eight games, though...

Juan Carlo
25-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Good production values, but how high is your tolerance for repeating the same stealth section over and over because you didn't have any way of knowing what you needed to do the first few times?

Or, more important, how high is your tolerance for Vin Diesel and the inane Riddick universe?

Only thing I go today was Serious Sam. I'd highly recommend "Dead ISland," though. It has its flaws, but I had lots of fun with it. Just download the fan made helper utility so you customize the graphics.

KOTOR as been on sale for 75% off before, so 50% doesn't seem that great.

Althea
25-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Hell, it's not the Platinum! edition (so no Soaked or Wild)
Yes, it is (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rollercoaster-Tycoon-Deluxe-PC-CD/dp/B0031ESIZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322256830&sr=8-1).

archonsod
25-11-2011, 10:40 PM
In a way it can be thought of as Total War

It's more like Knights of Honour really. There's a lot more emphasis on characters and what each class can do than you'd expect from a TW game, and the battles lean more towards RTS than the TW wargame. The base campaign is also quite heavily scripted; it doesn't really open up until the second chapter and even then the various scripted events can get in the way if you're expecting it to play like a standard Total War game.
That's not to criticise it though. The game itself is absolutely brilliant and the atmosphere rich enough to cut with a knife. The battles are the only real sore point; the victory location system means half of them simply boil down to running cavalry around rather than actually fighting, archers are horribly overpowered and the magic system is incredibly unbalanced (although whether that's a good or bad thing depends on you. On the one hand a decent high level wizard can wipe out entire armies single handed. On the other, you're wiping out entire armies single handed with a high level wizard).

Of the other 3 DLCs, 2 are seperate, smaller-but-still-kinda-large, standalone campaigns, and the newest (Fallen Champions) is meant to bridge KA and the sequel, which comes out next year. It's on offer quite regularly so you'll have plenty of other opportunities to get the extra DLC.

Fallen Champions is a standalone and removes the strategy map elements. You basically get the choose your own adventure style quests followed by a battle (albeit one which is a little more scripted than you'd expect in the main game) with three heroes (a Christian knight, an unseelie Sidhe and a pagan shaman). For anyone familiar with Neocore's Crusader series it plays out more like one of those within the King Arthur setting.
The other two DLC's are well worth it - they add two additional campaigns to the main game, one as a Saxon faction and one as a Welsh faction. Neither is quite as in-depth or extensive as the base campaign, but they're a lot more open, you still have over-arching goals but it tends to be more 'conquer the map' than 'take over this particular province'.

ComradePenguin
25-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Yes, it is (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rollercoaster-Tycoon-Deluxe-PC-CD/dp/B0031ESIZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322256830&sr=8-1).

Think you may have misunderstood thegooseking. They're pointing towards the Atari Hits Collection 2006 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atari-Hits-2006-PC-DVD/dp/B000HISJH6) which get's you all the games they list for a 5 in total but seemingly only comes with the base version of RCT3. Though as they point out if RCT is all you want then the one you link to may be a better bet once you've added in all the DLC.

Althea
25-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Think you may have misunderstood thegooseking. They're pointing towards the Atari Hits Collection 2006 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atari-Hits-2006-PC-DVD/dp/B000HISJH6) which get's you all the games they list for a 5 in total but seemingly only comes with the base version of RCT3. Though as they point out if RCT is all you want then the one you link to may be a better bet once you've added in all the DLC.
That may be the case.

Again

Noirdeathe
25-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Is Sanctum worth picking up? It looks good (and in a similar vein to Orcs Must Die!).

Althea
25-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Is Sanctum worth picking up? It looks good (and in a similar vein to Orcs Must Die!).
Yes. The collection is like 4. Get it.

Flint
25-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Sanctum is lovely even if you're not normally into tower defense games, which I'm not. I've not really been into it playing alone, but with a friend or two it's immense fun. Picked up the DLC levels on today's sale, some really funky ones there. But yes, recommended. The DLC towers are generally great as well yet not overpowered - although to be honest I can't imagine the game without the Violator cannon.

sabrage
25-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Should I get the Magicka collection today, or do you think it'll go down to 75% off?

Althea
25-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Should I get the Magicka collection today, or do you think it'll go down to 75% off?
Steam Sale Logic: Don't buy anything until the last day unless it's a daily deal.

Noirdeathe
25-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Magicka was 1.99 last week? I'd wait 'till the last day of the sale.

buemba
26-11-2011, 12:21 AM
People need to get Sanctum. That along with Jamestown were easily the 2 best games I bought on the last big Steam Sale.

Casimir Effect
26-11-2011, 12:21 AM
...the atmosphere rich enough to cut with a knife
This right here is reason enough to recommend the game to another person and for them to play it. Serendipitously I started playing it when the Camelot series was airing a while back, so got complete Arthurian overload for a while. While I enjoyed the TV series take on things I preferred the overall feel of the (entirely unrelated) game by far, and actually really appreciated that there was a scripted, vaguley linear campaign to the game. There are enough freeform strategy games out there and until Creative Assembly make a Total War game with a fully-fledged plot this tides a person over perfectly well.

thegooseking
26-11-2011, 05:36 AM
"HUNDREDS OF DEALS across catalogs from most publishers"

[List of publishers]

"AND IN EVERY GENRE"

[List of genres, the very first of which is Free to Play]

Where are all our discounts on these free games, Steam? Come on!

Nalano
26-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Where are all our discounts on these free games, Steam? Come on!

Okay, okay! 60% discount on all free games!

The JG Man
26-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Wrong way Nalano. I want them to pay me to play their free to play games. Every time I get a hat in TF2? 50p for me. Deal.

Basilicus
26-11-2011, 04:12 PM
It's not Steam, but if anyone's got Impulse, the month-and-a-half old Rage is on sale for $30 today. That may also indicate an upcoming Steam sale. The big publisher deals often mirror each other pretty closely on the two platforms.

piggydiggy
26-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Is Serious Sam HD any good?

Ice-Fyre
26-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Is Serious Sam HD any good?

I've been thinking the same...

Scumbag
26-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Its the same as the old Serious Sam games but with better graphics.
If you have not played them, then you have a gun and you shoot lots of very stupid things.

EDIT: Just to make sure people understand, they are not very simlar to the old Serious Sam games, they are EXACTLY the same.

vinraith
26-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Sales purchases so far:

Distant Worlds Legends (from Matrix)
Close Combat Cross of Iron (from Matrix)
Sanctum DLC (from Steam)
FO:NV Gun Runner's DLC (from Steam)

So that's $46 worth of purchases from Matrix and about $3.50 from Steam.

Ice-Fyre
26-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Its the same as the old Serious Sam games but with better graphics.
If you have not played them, then you have a gun and you shoot lots of very stupid things.

EDIT: Just to make sure people understand, they are not very simlar to the old Serious Sam games, they are EXACTLY the same.

I think I might pass, I'm not even sure if I like FPS anymore tbh :(

Scumbag
26-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I think I might pass, I'm not even sure if I like FPS anymore tbh :(

If you dont click with FPS games too well these days it wont be worth it. For what it does, it does VERY well, but thats largely shooting lots and lots of bad guys over and over.

Memph
26-11-2011, 06:44 PM
You pretty much hold down the trigger for various weapons whilst circle strafing / backpeddling non-stop as endless hordes of monsters charge in a straight line straight at you. When all bads are dead you move to the next 'arena' area and the hordes start up again. I had some fun with the original Sam many moons ago, but I tried the HD demo recently and was instantly bored tbh.

piggydiggy
26-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Can anyone reccomend any of the Sanctum DLC maps, or is the base game sufficient?

hariseldon
26-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I've been good, not bought much, kept it sensible. Then they throw witcher 2, limbo and Civ 5 at me. Bastards.

Scumbag
26-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Today we have Limbo for under 2, and I'm sold (even if there is the old gut feeling it'll be in one of these indie bundles).
Civ V for under a tenner looks nice as well, if I did not already own it.

The Pink Ninja
26-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Only ever played Civ 4 before but honestly, I found it kind of sucky and uninvolving so I'm not really tempted by 5 which I am told is even more simple.

I'll pick up Limbo and Conviction, both very cheap.

Will pick up Payday when it is on sale over X-Mas and I ahve time to play with all the other people buying it on sale.

SirKicksalot
26-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Rage is amazing.
FthreeAR is a very solid shooter and a better FEAR sequel than Project Origin.
Kane and Lynch 2 is incredibly brutal. If you're in the mood for a three hours long dose of nihilistic fucked up ultraviolence that also looks really good, go for it.

The Pink Ninja
26-11-2011, 07:10 PM
AT LAST, CHAOS THEORY ON CHEAPO SALE!

So wanted to replay it, my DVDs won't install on my PC >:

Scumbag
26-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Kane and Lynch 2 is incredibly brutal. If you're in the mood for a three hours long dose of nihilistic fucked up ultraviolence that also looks really good, go for it.

TBH the issues with Kane & Lynch are usually if you can stomach it. It feels as though its purposely trying to push the player away with just how vile it can be, both content wise and mechanically. Most people I talk to treat it like Marmite, in that they know its very much an aquired taste and really like it, or they see it as an utter pile of garbage with no redeaming features what-so-ever.
I kinda enjoyed it, but that part in the middle where they run about naked was a bit too silly IMO.

The Pink Ninja
26-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Are any of the Tom CLancy sale games worth getting?

Sales purchases so far:

Distant Worlds Legends (from Matrix)
Close Combat Cross of Iron (from Matrix)
Sanctum DLC (from Steam)
FO:NV Gun Runner's DLC (from Steam)

So that's $46 worth of purchases from Matrix and about $3.50 from Steam.

What are the best games availible on Matrix?

Heliocentric
26-11-2011, 07:30 PM
AT LAST, CHAOS THEORY ON CHEAPO SALE!

So wanted to replay it, my DVDs won't install on my PC >:

Yeah, it's the only windows 7 version without cracking.

sabrage
26-11-2011, 07:32 PM
How's The Polynomial? It certainly looks pretty.

Althea
26-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Only ever played Civ 4 before but honestly, I found it kind of sucky and uninvolving so I'm not really tempted by 5 which I am told is even more simple.
Simple isn't bad, and I'd say Civ V - to me - was more engaging than Civ IV was. It's bloated and a little sluggish to start, but I think it cuts a lot of the crap IV had and slims it down to a much better experience. Is it perfect? No, but I enjoyed what I played more than I enjoyed any of the hours I put into IV. My only major gripe is DLC over expansions, and no flipping Boudica. It really needs more content, though.

I'm half tempted by Rainbow Six Vegas, but I have enough to play as it is.

The Pink Ninja
26-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I'll consider Civ5: GOTY edition at x-mas

Jesus, my PC broke in May and since then I'm losing track of how many on sale games I have bought and what websites I got them on...

Heliocentric
26-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Are any of the Tom CLancy sale games worth getting?
Yes.
Chaos Theory is the standout.
End war, Conviction, Vegas & Vegas 2, are all rather good, the older rainbow six 3 games are ace if you can stomach the graphics.

Oak
26-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Must recommend Payday: The Heist again. It's become one of my favorite games of the year not in spite of the fact that it rips off Left 4 Dead but because it does so with such verve. It's a total riot.

The Pink Ninja
26-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Oooooh, Cossacks 2: The Napoleonic Wars for 99p!

Heliocentric
26-11-2011, 08:16 PM
If you missed it yesterday deus ex 3 is on sale on d2d for 15.

Patrick Swayze
26-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Guys, Cities XL 2012? Is it worth the asking price? I get that is it isn't meant to be amazing but I fancy something creative. Should I get this or wait for Anno 2070 to hit the sales?

thegooseking
26-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Simple isn't bad, and I'd say Civ V - to me - was more engaging than Civ IV was. It's bloated and a little sluggish to start, but I think it cuts a lot of the crap IV had and slims it down to a much better experience. Is it perfect? No, but I enjoyed what I played more than I enjoyed any of the hours I put into IV. My only major gripe is DLC over expansions, and no flipping Boudica. It really needs more content, though.

I'm half tempted by Rainbow Six Vegas, but I have enough to play as it is.

This is something I seem to be going on about a lot at the moment. Civ IV has more literal complexity than Civ V, but not all of Civ IV's complexity is meaningful. Civ V has more meaningful complexity than Civ IV did. As I've said before, Civ V is a strategy game with the emphasis on 'strategy', while Civ IV is a strategy game with the emphasis on 'game'. When I was playing Civ IV, I was thinking about how I could use the rules of the game to maximise my chances of success; when I was playing Civ V, I was thinking about my strategies in far more real-world terms. I'm not sure either is objectively better, but I definitely prefer the latter.

thegooseking
26-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Guys, Cities XL 2012? Is it worth the asking price? I get that is it isn't meant to be amazing but I fancy something creative. Should I get this or wait for Anno 2070 to hit the sales?

I'd also like to know. Some of these questions may seems trivial but they're important.

Most trivially: The trailer and all the screenshots of the game seem to show cities at the same time of day. Does it have a day/night cycle? I want to be able to look at a city at night!

The game claims to offer over 1,000 buildings. How much variety is there in aesthetic and architectural style? Again, the trailer and screenshots only really show one or two aesthetic/architectural styles. What if you want your city to look different?

How sanitised is it? The trailer and screenshots show "beautiful people" cities, which is understandable from a marketing perspective, but kind of turns me off. Are run-down cities also a possibility? Can you have slums?

Most importantly: Are the game rules more about making the city you want, or making the city the game wants? Is anything but the optimal path going to end in disaster, or is there a lot of room for personalisation?

GraveyardJimmy
26-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I'd also like to know. Some of these questions may seems trivial but they're important.

The one thing I have heard about Cities XL is that the developers are aware of a performance ruining memory leak in the previous version and rather than patch it said "maybe it will be fixed in the next version". Not a definite yes to it being fixed, not a patch. thats made me steer clear of the series more than any bad reviews, since there are reports of the city builder not letting you have large cities without constant restarts.

Might be fixed in the new version, haven't checked after the devs attitude.

Kodeen
26-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Talk at me about the Overlord series. I demand it!

thegooseking
26-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't know if anyone was, like me, considering it, but definitely don't buy TW: Shogun 2, barring the unlikely event of a further reduction tomorrow. It's cheaper on Amazon even without the benefit of a sale, and it registers on Steam anyway.

Heliocentric
26-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Okay, it's painful to play without a pad, right off the bat.
Still listening?

Well, it's actually a puzzle brawler with strategic elements. You need to play 3 parts of the tank/flanking dps/support all by yourself. It's styling is very fable but taking the mick a little more. It's linear with the odd optional subquest.

It's actually very good.

Althea
26-11-2011, 11:01 PM
It's a tongue-in-cheek look at the fantasy genre, and it takes the piss out of everything. It's pretty smooth and polished, but it's one of those games you'll probably just stop playing after some time without really caring. You have different kinds of goblin/imp that have different "powers", and you use them to get around puzzles - you need certain numbers of a certain type to open a door, for example.

It's good, yeah, and really funny, but it doesn't have any holding appeal IMHO. Even if you don't finish it, a few hours of it will easily be worth the admission price.

Note: this is based on just Overlord, not the expansion or sequel.

Heliocentric
26-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Note: this is based on just Overlord, not the expansion or sequel.
You can safely ignore the expansion content, but the sequel seems to be worthy I've not finished it yet, but it's certainly holding pace with my expectations.

Maurish
26-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I understand that Civilization V is on today's sale and I'd really like to get it but it won't show up since it's not currently available in my region and has been like that since the release. I don't really want to get the retail for 30 just yet so my question is: Is it possible to get it somehow through the steam sale even though it says it's not available in my region?

archonsod
26-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Most trivially: The trailer and all the screenshots of the game seem to show cities at the same time of day. Does it have a day/night cycle? I want to be able to look at a city at night!

Yep, or you can select the time (though trying to build at night is a bit tricky).

The game claims to offer over 1,000 buildings. How much variety is there in aesthetic and architectural style? Again, the trailer and screenshots only really show one or two aesthetic/architectural styles. What if you want your city to look different?

Not that much. You have several road styles for some reason. There's only one real style for most buildings, the rest are specific themed versions (there's a European style medieval town set available for example, with a marketplace, hotel and a couple of residences and cobble streets. You couldn't build an entire city in that style though).

How sanitised is it? The trailer and screenshots show "beautiful people" cities, which is understandable from a marketing perspective, but kind of turns me off. Are run-down cities also a possibility? Can you have slums?

Depends on what you define as a slum. Population is divided into unskilled workers, skilled workers, executives and elites. I guess it would be possible to build a nightmare industrial city full of unskilled workers, assuming you 'traded' for any needed workforce tokens beyond that.

Most importantly: Are the game rules more about making the city you want, or making the city the game wants? Is anything but the optimal path going to end in disaster, or is there a lot of room for personalisation?
It's pretty open. The trading system means if there's any resource you can't or don't want to produce in your city, whether it's a specific type of worker or something more obvious like oil, you can simply sell whatever you're running a surplus of and buy in whatever you need. You could for example build a city based entirely on office workers, selling your excess office services and buying in the industry the offices need.

Edawan
27-11-2011, 02:11 AM
How's The Polynomial? It certainly looks pretty.
It's pretty. It's simple. It can go from very relaxing on easy to very engaging on the higher difficulties. Thumb up from me !

ComradePenguin
27-11-2011, 02:24 AM
I understand that Civilization V is on today's sale and I'd really like to get it but it won't show up since it's not currently available in my region and has been like that since the release. I don't really want to get the retail for 30€ just yet so my question is: Is it possible to get it somehow through the steam sale even though it says it's not available in my region?

Someone from a region where it is available should be able to gift it to you. Head over to the smuggling thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?73-RPS-Data-Smuggling-Ring-2-Smugglier/page6) for help.

Kadayi
27-11-2011, 02:39 AM
I guess LA Noire is a huge bomb lol

I've not played much, but it seems interesting enough. It's kind of worth it just for the facial technology tbh.

ComradePenguin
27-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Is today the last day? I get confused by Steam's american dates. Just wondering if I should be jumping on the stuff that has missed daily discounts or if there is an extra day.

Mcmicker
27-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Is today the last day? I get confused by Steam's american dates. Just wondering if I should be jumping on the stuff that has missed daily discounts or if there is an extra day.

The sale will last for another day. Based on previous sales, it'll probably be a rerun of some of the better sales from the week, but all the non-daily deals will still be up.

Kodeen
27-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Thanks Unrav and Helio. Guess I'll just get Limbo today.

piggydiggy
27-11-2011, 01:51 PM
What's the consensus on Double Agent? It seemed to get good reviews upon release, but it is always attacked and ignored when talking about stealth games.

The Pink Ninja
27-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I found Double Agent to be very dull, much weaker than Chaos Theory and never got more than a couple of levels in before ditching it.

Always meant to come back to it and maybe I judged too soon... but still, rather than having two gages showing your light and sound levels it just had a light that's green for safe, orange for risk and red for discovered.

Urgh

Tikey
27-11-2011, 03:04 PM
What about the HAWX games? Are they fun?

Heliocentric
27-11-2011, 04:05 PM
What's the consensus on Double Agent? It seemed to get good reviews upon release, but it is always attacked and ignored when talking about stealth games.

I found it "okay" but broken beyond repair, like corpses floating, critical doors being inoperable and getting spotted 40 yards away in pitch shadow.

Some people love it though.

Ice-Fyre
27-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I got given 3 so got The Polynomial and Garry's Mod. That's it till the xmas sale for me, time to start saving! :D

Scumbag
27-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Ok new sales are up.
Anyone able to give a brutal heads up on Section 8? Seems the game + all the DLC is on for 2.49.
Most importantly is it still played that much?

TooNu
27-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Hello there :)
Dwarfs and Dungeons of Dredmor are interesting to me. I quite enjoyed ZangbandTK and Dwarf Fortress but of course the graphics even with mods/new versions I think cause me to lose interest afterwhile. Then I go back to them, rinse repeat.

Anybody played these 2 that can comment on their worth?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35480/?snr=1_4_4__13

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/?snr=1_4_4__13

Slychocobo
27-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Hello there :)
Dwarfs and Dungeons of Dredmor are interesting to me. I quite enjoyed ZangbandTK and Dwarf Fortress but of course the graphics even with mods/new versions I think cause me to lose interest afterwhile. Then I go back to them, rinse repeat.

Anybody played these 2 that can comment on their worth?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35480/?snr=1_4_4__13

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/?snr=1_4_4__13

Dwarfs is a decent enough game, But think of more of a Tower Defense style game than a roguelike. I would suggest waiting till Christmas for it to go a bit cheaper though. To be honest if you like roguelikes (as I do myself) you may find Dreadmore a bit too.. and I know this may sound daft but "Silly". Joke items, joke stats, 4 direction movement.. its very fustrating and annoying trying to decode what items and stats do compaired to other roguelikes or to keep track of whats going on. A lot of people enjoy the game, but if you enjoy more complex roguelikes I dont think I could reccomend it.

The Pink Ninja
27-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Soooo, Dead Space 2 then? Never played the first one and now it seems I never will...

Sorry Modern Warfare 2, not buying you until you're 10

Duels of the Planeswalker? Maybe...

EU3 is well worth a go for those who don't have it

airtekh
27-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Ok new sales are up.
Anyone able to give a brutal heads up on Section 8? Seems the game + all the DLC is on for 2.49.
Most importantly is it still played that much?

I thought it was a pretty decent team shooter; it probably should have got more attention than it did - RPS didn't even review it IIRC.

Getting to choose your spawn point every time you die and blast down from orbit is a constant joy, as well as being highly tactical. You're always looking for opportunities to flank the enemy.

I haven't played the game in months, so I can't comment on the state of the community; but I can't imagine it's faring too well. It does feature some fairly decent bots though, so you will get your money's worth even if the community turns out to be dead.

Be aware that it uses Games for Windows Live.

CWalker
27-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I thought it was a pretty decent team shooter; it probably should have got more attention than it did - RPS didn't even review it IIRC.

Getting to choose your spawn point every time you die and blast down from orbit is a constant joy, as well as being highly tactical. You're always looking for opportunities to flank the enemy.

I haven't played the game in months, so I can't comment on the state of the community; but I can't imagine it's faring too well. It does feature some fairly decent bots though, so you will get your money's worth even if the community turns out to be dead.

I too enjoyed it greatly, and the bots are incredibly decent. Sadly, last time I checked, the community appears to be mostly gone :(

Heliocentric
27-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Last day was a bit rubbish, no?

thegooseking
27-11-2011, 08:58 PM

I dunno. I think the Dead Space sale is the one I've been most excited about in the whole sale.

Then again, that might just be because the best sales of previous days were for games I already owned.

vinraith
27-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Grand total spent on Steam sale: $3.68.

Not bad.

The $46 in Matrix purchases is perhaps less good, but it's all stuff I've been wanting for ages and I don't mind supporting the niches.

Flint
27-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I spent a bit over 1 - got all the Sanctum DLC maps so my Sanctum buddies and I have some new maps to feast on. We've already given them a go and they're rather interesting ones as well - some really mindscrewy, cunning maps in there that require complete tactical thinking overhaul. Which is awesome.

vinraith
27-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I spent a bit over 1 - got all the Sanctum DLC maps so my Sanctum buddies and I have some new maps to feast on. We've already given them a go and they're rather interesting ones as well - some really mindscrewy, cunning maps in there that require complete tactical thinking overhaul. Which is awesome.

That was the bulk of my purchases as well. I threw the last relevant FO:NV DLC in there for good measure, as well.

sopabuena
27-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Dead Space has been cheaper before, during halloween sale I think I got both of them for $16. I'm too scared to play them anyway. Didn't bought anyhting yet, I kinda regret missing Orcs Must Die. I'm cosindering Mata Hari (http://store.steampowered.com/app/18480) and EDGE (http://store.steampowered.com/app/38740)

Gnoupi
27-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Hidden under the pile of sales, Shatter for very cheap: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20820/
Great modern breakout game!

TooNu
27-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Dwarfs is a decent enough game, But think of more of a Tower Defense style game than a roguelike. I would suggest waiting till Christmas for it to go a bit cheaper though. To be honest if you like roguelikes (as I do myself) you may find Dreadmore a bit too.. and I know this may sound daft but "Silly". Joke items, joke stats, 4 direction movement.. its very fustrating and annoying trying to decode what items and stats do compaired to other roguelikes or to keep track of whats going on. A lot of people enjoy the game, but if you enjoy more complex roguelikes I dont think I could reccomend it.

thanks for your help. I figured as much in regards to DoD so I won't bother with it, and a DTTD game...I allready got Orcs must die so I guess Dwarfs is out to. Oh well, at least I got Evil Genius cheap :)

Scumbag
27-11-2011, 10:31 PM

I too enjoyed it greatly, and the bots are incredibly decent. Sadly, last time I checked, the community appears to be mostly gone :(

Thanks for that. For the price and knowing the Bots are stable I guess this can possibly be a dip into thing like UT or whatnot. Something dies inside me a little seeing the various Multiplayer things I own and I'm not able to play them due to a dead community and / or lack of bots, or the only bots available are a bit crap.

field_studies
27-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Hidden under the pile of sales, Shatter for very cheap: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20820/

Neat! Anyone else find a hidden non-daily-sale treasure? Closest I cam was grabbing Burnout Paradise for 50% off... still $10 but I don't believe it's gone on sale at all in the previous few Steam sales.

vinraith
27-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm going to regret even asking, but what's the consensus of Shift and Shift 2? They've been on my wishlist for eons and they looked like they might have some promise...

The JG Man
27-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Shift 2 is generally regarded as pretty good, as far as I'm aware. A good racing sim, if you're into that. Some notes:

Dead Space/2 are pretty decent. 5 for DS2 is a good price. The MP in the sequel isn't amazing (think a more linear, objective based L4D) that's essentially ignorable. There's also an issue with its DLC, meaning you get it all for free, potentially ruining weapon collection.

Red Faction: Armageddon is cheaper at retail and is a Steamworks title.

I'm tempted by Driver, but not enough.

All in all, sale costs: 2.20 - Serious Sam HD Collection.

Casimir Effect
27-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Neat! Anyone else find a hidden non-daily-sale treasure? Closest I cam was grabbing Burnout Paradise for 50% off... still $10 but I don't believe it's gone on sale at all in the previous few Steam sales.
For 68p Cthulu Saves the World is a pretty good deal (and you get Breath of Death VII with it too).
Then there's Capsized for 2.50, which I've heard good things about
Terraria for 2.99 is a steal, especially as it's about to get a big update.
The Whispered World for 3.74 might be good if you like adventure games as well. I've had a copy for a while but never found the time to play it.

Red Faction: Armageddon is cheaper at retail and is a Steamworks title.

This is on sale on Impulse for 3.74.

eRa
27-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I just grabbed Bastion, Europa Universalis III, Dawn of War II Complete and Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity. Should at least play all of them until the christmas sale will almost surely add more titles to my library. Goddamn cheapness combined with a lack of willpower.

Althea
27-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I have spent a grand total of 0.00. I am proud.

moth bones
27-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Same here, but I'm looking at Greed Corp (1.99 on today's sale) and hmmm-ing...

Mcmicker
27-11-2011, 11:33 PM
How is Greed Corp? I'm looking at it myself, and it'd be nice to get some info about it from someone who's played it.

buemba
27-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Final tally: US$ 11.84 (Renegade Ops, Orcs Must Die + DLC and Lonesome Road for New Vegas. I kind of regret not getting some Sanctum DLC, but I'm sure it'll go back on sale during the New Year sale.

Eh, beats the recap day they usually do.

How is Greed Corp? I'm looking at it myself, and it'd be nice to get some info about it from someone who's played it.

Haven't played it yet. Might be worth watching the Quick Look (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-greed-corp/17-1898/) Giant Bomb did to see some gameplay, though.

vinraith
28-11-2011, 12:05 AM

It doesn't amount to much. The land destruction gimmick is kind of neat for a few games, but it's the same thing over and over. All the sides are the same, there's only really the one unit, and the maps aren't different enough to break that sameyness. It's pretty strategically shallow, as well. I'm fairly certain there's no demo because if there were it would pretty much be the entire game.

Kodeen
28-11-2011, 12:11 AM
So the last thing I'm thinking of getting before this sale ends is Saints Row 2. Any good, or should I just jump into The Third when I deem appropriate?

field_studies
28-11-2011, 12:38 AM
It doesn't amount to much. The land destruction gimmick is kind of neat for a few games, but it's the same thing over and over. All the sides are the same, there's only really the one unit, and the maps aren't different enough to break that sameyness. It's pretty strategically shallow, as well. I'm fairly certain there's no demo because if there were it would pretty much be the entire game.

I stopped playing after the first half dozen levels, mostly because I had other things I wanted to play, but you've summed up my unarticulated feelings really well. I'll add one other thing: that I found the endgame of each level uninteresting (and often borderline stalemated); the land-destruction device means that the level often resolves with remaining teams huddled on distant isolated tiles, playing a waiting game to see who can save up enough money to afford a flying attack--the only option at that point.

sabrage
28-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Based on my limited playtime of both, I feel like Just Cause 2 is a MUCH better mayhem simulator/asshat sandbox than SR2.

The Pink Ninja
28-11-2011, 02:00 AM
JC2 It has better graphics and a bigger world and pretty much no bugs but other than that SR2 is better: It has funny writing and a fun story and good voice acting. JC2's is kinda of weak on all accounts. JC2's fighting is better but not unflawed.

Get them both.

ComradePenguin
28-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Neat! Anyone else find a hidden non-daily-sale treasure?

Sequence, the RPG rhythm game hybrid is half price at 1.99 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/200910/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_28). Haven't played it yet but the critical reception for it on the consoletoy was very warm and the developer seems to be working hard on ironing out the issues the PC version had early on.

PeteC
28-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Just Sanctum + DLC and Riddick for me. There was a few other things I wanted but I was unusually pretty restrained this time. I'm playing Skyrim and BF3 at the moment which is taking up what little gaming time I have so didn't see much point in buying too much else. Especially with the Xmas sale next month. Whatever I wanted now would most likely be on sale then.

Mcmicker
28-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Neat! Anyone else find a hidden non-daily-sale treasure?

I'll second ComradePenguin on Sequence, it's pretty awesome at what it does and is unique enough to be interesting. It is a bit grindy though, which may not be your thing.

I got Puzzle Dimension (http://store.steampowered.com/app/57200) for $2.50 - from what I've played of it so far it seems pretty short, but the visuals are excellent and the levels are engaging.

sabrage
28-11-2011, 03:14 AM
I snagged The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for $2.50 yesterday; surprised I didn't see it mentioned here. All the Dawn of War 2 DLC is on sale, and the complete pack comes with the recently-released Tau Commander, so I picked that up too.

Anyone know if Relic has plans for more DoW2 DLC? Probably does...

moth bones
28-11-2011, 03:30 AM
I passed on Greed Corp and went for Spectromancer instead (3.74 for game and two expansions). A fine purchase; an incredibly straightforward, cute and varied card game that looks like it will have longterm play value especially in multiplayer.

SMiD
28-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Managed to pick up EU3 Chronicles for $7.50. This should fill in the gaps of the work day quite nicely!

Basilicus
28-11-2011, 04:30 AM
I got Puzzle Dimension (http://store.steampowered.com/app/57200) for $2.50 - from what I've played of it so far it seems pretty short, but the visuals are excellent and the levels are engaging.

It seems like it at first, but the levels become pretty fiendish about halfway through, and then it really turns into a brain-scorcher of a game. It's probably my favorite puzzle game of all-time.

Giaddon
28-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Orcs must die, New Vegas DLC, L.A. Noire. (was surprised to see that last one, so soon.) A tidy haul.

Gotem
28-11-2011, 05:35 AM
I got orcs must die and chtulhu saves the world pack
the good thing is that I could use TF2 metal instead of my cash.
I love that new game buying currency :)

field_studies
28-11-2011, 05:42 AM
L.A. Noire. (was surprised to see that last one, so soon.)

Seems as if consensus has been that this was a bit of an underwhelming sale (in itself not surprising with Christmas coming so soon), but there were an awful lot of very new triple-A games in the 30-50% off range, which I feel like I haven't seen as much in the past.

Jams O'Donnell
28-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Neat! Anyone else find a hidden non-daily-sale treasure? Closest I cam was grabbing Burnout Paradise for 50% off... still $10 but I don't believe it's gone on sale at all in the previous few Steam sales.Capsized is 1.50. Quinns liked it (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/capsized-review/).

Memph
28-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Shatter is indeed a great game with a great soundtrack.

Noone's mentioned Divinity II DKS i've noticed. I thought RPGs were popular round these parts? I tried the demo and found it a very amiable game with NPCs that are actually well voiced and most surprisingly, genuinely funny. I'm not sure how the hacky/slashy turns out having only played the opening section, but compared to Dragon Age's rather stiff, serious tone that i always found too awkward to like, this has been pleasing.

Any concrete recommendations or allegations of crapness from anyone here before I add another game to my list (that by now i think probably exceeds any free-time quota of my life expectancy as it is)?

Althea
28-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Noone's mentioned Divinity II DKS i've noticed. I thought RPGs were popular round these parts? I tried the demo and found it a very amiable game with NPCs that are actually well voiced and most surprisingly, genuinely funny. I'm not sure how the hacky/slashy turns out having only played the opening section, but compared to Dragon Age's rather stiff, serious tone that i always found too awkward to like, this has been pleasing.

Any concrete recommendations or allegations of crapness from anyone here before I add another game to my list (that by now i think probably exceeds any free-time quota of my life expectancy as it is)?
I played Div II through to completion before FoV/DKS was released, so my views are a little out of date, but I found it to be a really interesting - albeit not perfect - game which had some genuinely entertaining moments.

The combat feels really quite flimsy and it doesn't really improve all that much, but it works well enough.

Vexing Vision
28-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Divinity 2 tempted me greatly. But I'm still stuck in the forseeable future with Skyrim and actually need a break from RPGs after that. (Never thought I'd say that.)

I'm watching the Steamsales with a semi-enthusiastic half-eye, because I'm currently busy with games and I know that when I run out of my current batch of games, the Christmas-sales will begin.

Their timing is not optimal.

IDtenT
28-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Managed to pick up EU3 Chronicles for $7.50. This should fill in the gaps of the work day quite nicely!
If you do get into it, which admittedly not everyone does, prepare to be hooked. Game is brilliant.

Memph
28-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I played Div II through to completion before FoV/DKS was released, so my views are a little out of date, but I found it to be a really interesting - albeit not perfect - game which had some genuinely entertaining moments.

The combat feels really quite flimsy and it doesn't really improve all that much, but it works well enough.

Yeah it certainly feels a bit floaty-light, but i had put that down to the gamebryo engine. I'd be in it for the story/exploring/picking up of everything i can find more than much else, as i've been struggling to find a slow burner to meander through between whizzy Sonic sessions and painful Battlefield 3 levelling to unlock the advantages (/spit).
The demo was the first i've come across where i actually found myself paying some attention, rather than just clicking through all the text to get to the next quest/reward/number increase before losing interest. Picked it up in the end, cheers for the info.

Similar
28-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I spent all of 2.49 Euro on Limbo and that was a gift for a friend.

Every time I saw something I might want, I started thinking that it'll probably come on sale again at a later time, so I didn't buy anything. Obviously a sensible approach, but it has also meant this sale has been very boring; no new toys (to leave sitting unplayed in my Steam library for months while I play Minecraft instead...).

squareking
28-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Damage done (yay impulse buys [except New Vegas, kinda]):

Renegops
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Fallout: New Vegas + Old World Blues
Section 8: Prejudice + DLC pack

Jams O'Donnell
28-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I only grabbed Episodes From Liberty City. I was hoping things like AssBro and Blood Bowl LE would show up in the sale, but looks like I'll just have to wait til the xmas sale.

ComradePenguin
28-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Capsized is 1.50. Quinns liked it (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/capsized-review/).

Thanks for reminding me of this, I'd been meaning to look at it for a while. Played the demo and it was an instant buy. Worth 1.50 just to gawp at the artwork. The game isn't spectacularly original but it is very solid (at times the combat can be really excellent as you bounce around with the grappling hook) and because of its beauty that is more than enough for me.