Discuss...

Nalano
23-11-2011, 07:58 PM
[Inevitable post on "unbeatable" DRM]

inb4 debate on piracy

QuantaCat
23-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Power to the pirates.

Anyhow, I like pirated games. I like buying games as well. Those two things work together, and are not black and white in any kind of way.

TailSwallower
24-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Leaked on PC or Console?

The last couple of multiplatform leaks that I've heard about have all been console, which is interesting... How many people need to start pirating on the 360 before a publisher gives up on it?

Nalano
24-11-2011, 01:39 AM
The last couple of multiplatform leaks that I've heard about have all been console, which is interesting... How many people need to start pirating on the 360 before a publisher gives up on it?

Remember that horrible DRM that bluescreened your computer (http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/Documented-STARFORCE-Breakdowns-or-t4486.html&pid=64294&mode=threaded) or rendered it vulnerable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal) to viruses?

Imagine if the publisher also owns your box, as in the case of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? Who, then, do you complain to when you've just been bricked by remote?

DigitalSignalX
24-11-2011, 01:41 AM
I wish Skidrow had called it the "Stanislas Mettra edition" in honor of his buttfuckery toward PC gamers. I'm planning on applying their crack toward the legit copy when it comes out anyway, but it's nice to see they have it well in hand.

The JG Man
24-11-2011, 02:02 AM
The cynic in me wants to believe Ubi is doing it themselves, going "See! We told you it was a problem!" and then putting less effort into PC versions.

vinraith
24-11-2011, 05:21 AM
The cynic in me wants to believe Ubi is doing it themselves, going "See! We told you it was a problem!" and then putting less effort into PC versions.

This, plus going back to full blown online-all-the-time DRM, or worse.

Mihkel
24-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Not really suprising.

soldant
24-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Imagine if the publisher also owns your box, as in the case of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? Who, then, do you complain to when you've just been bricked by remote?
They don't need those sort of software solutions, because it's a closed platform. They just have to treat it as a loss and come up with new hardware or software solutions to try to improve the value of legit cases. Like mass xbox Live bannings. Or you could do what Sony did and remove functionality to protect your platform...

Nalano
24-11-2011, 06:56 AM
They don't need those sort of software solutions, because it's a closed platform.

That's kinda what I'm saying. If they're willing to put rootkits on regular desktops, they'll have no qualms with just flipping the switch on consoles.

soldant
24-11-2011, 08:44 AM
That's kinda what I'm saying. If they're willing to put rootkits on regular desktops, they'll have no qualms with just flipping the switch on consoles.
Yeah, but the issue with the DRM problems was that it was penalising legitimate users. I don't think you can really complain too much if you deliberately circumvent hardware/software systems on a console and then have it bricked because you were trying to play a cracked game.

deano2099
24-11-2011, 08:45 AM

I hope so. Because PC gaming is tiny compared to consoles. When someone actually tries that is when their whole house of cards will come crashing down as people sit up and take notice.

Mihkel
24-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but the issue with the DRM problems was that it was penalising legitimate users.

I think Ubisoft games are one of the best examples of cracked version having no problems while DRM version causes all sorts of annoying shit.

Gnoupi
24-11-2011, 09:38 AM
This, plus going back to full blown online-all-the-time DRM, or worse.

I don't think they have a personal interest in the super awful DRM, other than preventing exactly this kind of piracy.
Not saying that it works, but "releasing it especially to justify the DRM" makes no sense whatsoever. From their side, the DRM is supposed to prevent exactly this. No point in investing money developing it if you are going to release the whole thing on pirated networks.

QuantaCat
24-11-2011, 09:46 AM
no, I think that is their way of creating a demo version. It did wonders for DXHR, why not AssCreed?

Keep
24-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't think you can really complain too much if you deliberately circumvent hardware/software systems on a console and then have it bricked because you were trying to play a cracked game.

I think you can. You own that console. It's not yours-on-condition-you-use-it-right. It's yours.

If I use my truck to smuggle drugs, then yes, I should be punished - heck even have my driving license revoked. But should my truck also then be bricked and no longer start for me?

Ass Creed: So I remember a band, after hearing that some of their new album had leaked, pushing forward the release date because they didn't want fans to get an incomplete sense of what it was like.
What's stopping Ubisoft from doing similar? Bring forward the release date, steal the pirates' thunder?
I mean, brick & mortars won't like it, but Ubisoft's hand is kind of forced, damned if they do, damned if they don't, so...why not?

Gnoupi
24-11-2011, 10:05 AM
What's stopping Ubisoft from doing similar? Bring forward the release date, steal the pirates' thunder?
I mean, brick & mortars won't like it, but Ubisoft's hand is kind of forced, damned if they do, damned if they don't, so...why not?

Like you say, brick&mortar won't like it. As well as the whole distribution system established. As well as the marketing campaign. You can't change the release date forward, just like this, for something that big, which involves so many external actors. Especially if it involves physical copies.

Heliocentric
24-11-2011, 11:16 AM
So.. Hi pirates, is the game good? Also, did you like any of the other Ass Creed titles? Just to help calibration of my review-o-meter.

Wolfenswan
24-11-2011, 11:24 AM
So.. Hi pirates, is the game good? Also, did you like any of the other Ass Creed titles? Just to help calibration of my review-o-meter.

A few reviews have been published already. General consensus seems to be "not good nor bad but more of the same."

squirrel
24-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Let's not forget that Playstation version of the game has been out already, why you all said that it was leaked? My friends are playing already.

Screw with UBI soft for the console time exclusivity policy. I celebrate for her loss.

QuantaCat
24-11-2011, 12:33 PM
more of the same sounds great to me!

Heliocentric
24-11-2011, 12:47 PM
A few reviews have been published already. General consensus seems to be "not good nor bad but more of the same."

Not a big fan of embargo lead reviews.

soldant
24-11-2011, 02:28 PM
I think you can. You own that console. It's not yours-on-condition-you-use-it-right. It's yours.

If I use my truck to smuggle drugs, then yes, I should be punished - heck even have my driving license revoked. But should my truck also then be bricked and no longer start for me?
You own the console, yes, but if you're running unsigned code/performing hardware hacks the company don't really have any obligation to continue to support a product that you've modified outside their specifications, so they can freely ban you from XBL/PSN if they decide to do so, or brick the console because software ends up being incompatible with the hacks. They're only required to support their base configuration, if you deviate it's your problem.

The entire car thing doesn't really hold weight, the car is just peripherally related to the drug smuggling, you could have strapped them to your body and it wouldn't make a difference. Console piracy is enabled by software or hardware modification (more frequently the former for the most part, or at least custom firmware installs), so you're modifying the base product to circumvent specific security measures. Or for homebrew games, but that market isn't exactly huge compared to piracy.

vinraith
24-11-2011, 02:32 PM
more of the same sounds great to me!

Ditto. This series is very solid as-is, IMO. I'm pretty content with "more of the same."

cosmicolor
24-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Not a big fan of embargo lead reviews.

If it helps, I have yet to play the game, but over on Something Awful there's a pretty big thread for this (console version) which I've been following as I play Brotherhood and the general consensus is that, although it is more of the same, a couple of the new features added in fall flat by virtue of not being very fun. The multiplayer is said to have been improved, though.

ZIGS
24-11-2011, 03:42 PM
They screwed the mouse movement again... for the third time

Heliocentric
24-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Which game did they do mouse right in, I pad it.

Nalano
24-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Ditto. This series is very solid as-is, IMO. I'm pretty content with "more of the same."

I knew somebody out there kept buying up the new Radiohead albums.

QuantaCat
24-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I like the new radiohead style, but the best one to me is still the one with spinning plates and pyramid song.

ZIGS
24-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Which game did they do mouse right in, I pad it.

The first one

CuriousOrange
24-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Power to the pirates.

Anyhow, I like pirated games. I like buying games as well. Those two things work together, and are not black and white in any kind of way.

I like pirated games. I also like buying them. But which ones the best? FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Fumarole
24-11-2011, 04:58 PM
If I use my truck to smuggle drugs, then yes, I should be punished - heck even have my driving license revoked. But should my truck also then be bricked and no longer start for me?That's essentially what happens when law enforcement agencies confiscate your truck then sell it at an auction.

QuantaCat
24-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I like pirated games. I also like buying them. But which ones the best? FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

There is no best. I grew up with both. Both work at the same time.

There is a rule to using professional software: "if youve made more than ten times what you should pay for it, then you can safely buy it." I like this rule, and I adhere to it. Games are obviously different, but games are a personal thing anyhow, much less a work thing.

Heliocentric
24-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Times 10 sounds a little suspect. I can't think of anything else you'd use such a rule for.

Nalano
24-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Times 10 sounds a little suspect. I can't think of anything else you'd use such a rule for.

I'm hard-pressed to count with all my fingers the individuals and institutions I know that actually paid full price for the Adobe suite.

Graphics artists are not exactly rolling in money, after all.

QuantaCat
24-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm hard-pressed to count with all my fingers the individuals and institutions I know that actually paid full price for the Adobe suite.

Graphics artists are not exactly rolling in money, after all.

Video/Film software is even worse. There is another rule even: "Buy an old version of the software you use, but get the newer ones all the same."

Drake Sigar
25-11-2011, 12:03 AM
You know, I want to point out that perpetuating this vicious cycle and justifying Ubi's anti-piracy tactics by pirating their games is a pretty damn awful defence, but fuck em. They have all but declared war on PC gamers. Run their sad company into the ground for all I care.

deano2099
25-11-2011, 02:20 AM
You know, I want to point out that perpetuating this vicious cycle and justifying Ubi's anti-piracy tactics by pirating their games is a pretty damn awful defence

Maybe, but I'm always amused by people who get very up in arms about the DRM, then equally upset with the pirates. Because if Ubi launched a game with crazy DRM and everyone listened to these people, and didn't pirate it, what sort of message would that send? The DRM works! Use it on every game.

I ain't a fan of pirates but if they'd decided not to bother with AC2 you can bet this new one would have always-on DRM too.

Juan Carlo
25-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't even think publishers are aware how easy and widespread pirating on consoles is. For PS3 and Xbox360 all it takes is a minor hardware tweak that can be done with instructions from the internet. And in the case of the Wii, you don't even have to mess with hardware--all you need to do is find a way to crash the system and reboot it from scratch (the original Zelda disc works for this, I've heard, although maybe Nintendo has corrected the exploit since). After this, all console games can be downloaded and burned from torrent sites just like PC games--only worse, as unlike pirated PC games, multiplayer usually still works for pirated console games.

I know tons of people who pirate console games, yet all developers bitch about are PC gamers.

DarkFenix
25-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Grabbed it as soon as it went up personally, haven't really bothered much with it yet but it does seem to be esssentially more of the same. Though as people have pointed out, as far as this series is concerned that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The best thing I can say about AssRev though is that it'll hopefully get Ezio out of their system so we can move on to an entirely new setting.

Ravenger
25-11-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't even think publishers are aware how easy and widespread pirating on consoles is.

Oh they are aware. Why do you think why the numbers of AAA titles on the PSP and DS dropped so dramatically over the last few years - out of control, rampant piracy means it's unprofitable to release AAA games for those platforms. It's far easier to pirate games on the DS than it is on the PC.

It's got so out of control that even casual gamers do it. A friend of mine bought her children DS's one christmas, and their uncle bought them R4's so they could get all the games for free. I was flabberghasted when I found out.

It is strange that developers and publishers haven't publicly made as much about that as they have of PC piracy though.

QuantaCat
26-11-2011, 01:37 PM
For the record: I did buy AssCreed upto now, except for the first one. I liked them that much, yes.

However, I did not buy Anno1404 nor will buy 2070. Will play it though. Or maybe Ill buy the second one. But only if its really good.

UDeadNowSucka
26-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Seem's to be a trend. I don't understand how entire games are leaked out of highly secure dev pc's located in highly secure offices with passcodes on the doors and nano-bots guarding them with laser beam weapons.

psyk
26-11-2011, 05:19 PM
How many games have been leaked pre gold? I would think most of these games are getting "lost" during printing/packing.

deano2099
26-11-2011, 10:18 PM
On the other side of the fence, having a brief look around (for research purposes) and it doesn't look like anyone has a working version of Arkham City yet? Interesting to see DRM work (though I'm sure it'll be cracked next week).

QuantaCat
26-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Anno 2070 was cracked. Arkham City should be along soon.

TailSwallower
27-11-2011, 01:28 AM
On the other side of the fence, having a brief look around (for research purposes) and it doesn't look like anyone has a working version of Arkham City yet? Interesting to see DRM work (though I'm sure it'll be cracked next week).

Perhaps the crackers are taking their time after the interesting in-game DRM that AA had?