PDA

View Full Version : The Secret World - 'Detective Quests' - will they actually work?

Jockie
23-11-2011, 07:46 PM
So, I read Adam's preview as well as the one over at PCG of TSW and one thing bothered me as they spoke about the mystery solving detective style quests.

Every MMO out there, large or small has a devoted wiki, that details quest content, how to do them and how to complete them. Furthermore MMO's are competitive environments, and even without levels, grabbing skills will result in a Pokemon 'gotta catch em all' style of play for traditional MMO players who want to be able to choose from the biggest skill/chakra set.

My worry is that once the solutions to these quests are figured out (it won't take long, knowing the internet), any sense of mystery to the game will evaporate and it'll devolve into loading up a wiki to see how to complete them or asking in chat. The PCG preview even talks about how he only solved one of the quests because they'd figured it out on the beta forums.

Sure, you can still solve them the traditional way, by ignoring everyone else and minimizing the chat window and cutting yourself off from the information. But you'll get a scenario where a) you may as well not be playing an MMO, and b) You won't be half as adaptable and thus desirable for group play as the people who do everything and have everything.

Anyway, this is only a slight worry at this point in time, but it strikes me as a fairly plausible one. I applaud Funcom for trying to take things in a different direction and the real world sideways levelling stuff is all pretty enticing. I just don't see how this one aspect of the game is going to work, in a world where the internet exists.

Squiz
23-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Surely this is something the developers are aware of. They must be, since it obviously is so common these days to fire up a wiki for detailed information about nearly any game (or anything). The interesting question is though: Are they capable of reacting accordingly and come up with an appropriate solution?

Jockie
23-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Surely this is something the developers are aware of. They must be, since it obviously is so common these days to fire up a wiki for detailed information about nearly any game (or anything). The interesting question is though: Are they capable of reacting accordingly and come up with an appropriate solution?

Well that's the hope.

Another thing occurred to me - even if you try to play the game 'properly', you're encouraged to use things like google to solve these quests. Surely on release, the page rankings with the quest solutions will shortly be sitting at the top of the search engines based on the keywords you use to search. So not only will you be trying to solve a riddle, but you'll have to actively censor webites with spoilers or the full solution.

But yeah, I hope Funcom have something clever up their sleeves that can negate this pretty obvious problem.

alset85
23-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Well that's the hope.

Another thing occurred to me - even if you try to play the game 'properly', you're encouraged to use things like google to solve these quests. Surely on release, the page rankings with the quest solutions will shortly be sitting at the top of the search engines based on the keywords you use to search. So not only will you be trying to solve a riddle, but you'll have to actively censor webites with spoilers or the full solution.

But yeah, I hope Funcom have something clever up their sleeves that can negate this pretty obvious problem.

I remember a commenter on one of the articles had a great idea. Have an in-game browser with the appropriate filters in place to avoid exactly this.

Inverselaw
23-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Is the fact that people will use a walkthrough really such a problem? If being able to find the solution online is such a game ruiner for you just don't do it. As for ranking, I doubt that would be such a big problem, secret world isint going to be that huge a thing, I have trouble imagining that anything you would google without the games name as keyword would give you any game related sites.

On the other hand, if it ever gets to the point that any random person who googles "french impressionist painters" gets a game walkthrough as a first link. I will start to laugh and never. ever. stop.

Althea
23-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Actually, I think Funcom will encourage it in ways. I've heard them say that they want players to work together to overcome things, and that would kind of count.

They have said it caters a lot to solo players, so you should be able to cut yourself out of a lot of it, but I think it'll be like the Portal 2 stuff - a community working together to work out puzzles.

Jockie
23-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Actually, I think Funcom will encourage it in ways. I've heard them say that they want players to work together to overcome things, and that would kind of count.

They have said it caters a lot to solo players, so you should be able to cut yourself out of a lot of it, but I think it'll be like the Portal 2 stuff - a community working together to work out puzzles.

That'd be great, I just fear it will go the way of - they will be solved quickly (like those AAR/viral things) once and then there will a load of 'dead' content.

Althea
23-11-2011, 10:44 PM
That'd be great, I just fear it will go the way of - they will be solved quickly (like those AAR/viral things) once and then there will a load of 'dead' content.
I disagree. I don't think it really affects anything too much. To use another Funcom example, The Longest Journey had some massively obtuse puzzles (ask anyone who's played it about the iron key, if you haven't done it) that tended to take away from the game rather than add to it - if TSW goes down that path then solutions will be useful.

Chances are solutions will be in the public domain fairly quickly, but it'll be upto you to decide whether you want to capitalise on them or not.

Lacero
23-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm sure I remember hearing they would have "individual" detective quests in a lot of places. So it wasn't good enough to just look it up, the exact phrase you have to translate or the exact code you enter to open the door will be different.

I may be mad and it won't stop all cheating but it I think it could make playing the game properly more fun than cheating.

LTK
23-11-2011, 10:50 PM
I remember a commenter on one of the articles had a great idea. Have an in-game browser with the appropriate filters in place to avoid exactly this.
Such a filter is easier to achieve than you might think. I believe I mentioned http://agoogleaday.com/ somewhere regarding the Secret World before. Google basically keeps a history of how its search results look throughout time, allowing you to find the answer to a question before anyone had a chance to post the solution to that particular question.

I wonder if Funcom is aware of this.