PDA

View Full Version : Someone else's copy of MW3 (PS3) was delivered to my apartment.

LTK
23-11-2011, 08:25 PM
This week, a package arrived, addressed to a person who no longer lives at this address. One of my housemates opened the envelope to see what was inside. It was a brand spanking new copy of CoD:MW3, PS3 version. Now, no one living here has a PS3 (afaik) so it's probably best to return it and let the retailer know the person has moved.

Or maybe not.

I was thinking what I could do with a copy of MW3 and the identity of a person without a copy of MW3. This provides... an opportunity. It's way, way too easy to just toss it out and spare some poor sod from a railroaded explosionfest. So I was thinking, why don't I play a little prank?

In this networked day and age it's trivially easy to contact a person whose name you already know. The name on this package might receive a social network message, saying that someone has received the game that was intended for them. The message would kindly offer to mail the package directly to them. If this goes through, this person could receive their boxed copy of MW3 in their proper mailbox. Upon opening the box, they may discover, instead of a PS3 DVD, a burned copy of To The Moon (http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/).

Now, it would be pointlessly mean to omit the MW3 disc entirely. They paid a lot of money for it, after all. So naturally there would be a way to receive the original disc containing Modern Warfare.

All this requires is answering a simple question: What is the meaning of the blue and yellow origami rabbit?

Well, readers?

Flint
23-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Well considering he could easily track down the address where the package was erroneously sent and he knows where it is, seeing as he used to live there, I probably wouldn't bother with any grand plans keeping him away from what he spent money on.

DigitalSignalX
23-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I'd mail him the MW3 disc of course, but toss in your own disc with perhaps a humble indie pack or the like, just to give him a taste of what he's missing.

Unaco
23-11-2011, 08:38 PM
At a time like this, I feel the unofficial ARPS motto is quite fitting: "Don't be a dick".

Nalano
23-11-2011, 08:44 PM
At a time like this, I feel the unofficial ARPS motto is quite fitting: "Don't be a dick".

Yeah. He knows where you live.

goatmonkey
23-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Replace it with a copy of Modern Warfare 2

Squiz
23-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah. He knows where you live.And he plays shooters, meaning that he probably is a natural born killer.

Nalano
23-11-2011, 08:54 PM
And he plays shooters, meaning that he probably is a natural born killer.

But he plays them on a console, meaning that he probably has bad aim.

Estel
23-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I'd mail him the MW3 disc of course, but toss in your own disc with perhaps a humble indie pack or the like, just to give him a taste of what he's missing.

This one!

'Tis the season of goodwill, afterall :)

Squiz
23-11-2011, 09:05 PM
But he plays them on a console, meaning that he probably has bad aim.Still, I wouldn't risk it. After all, he only needs to manage that one quick-time event for explosions and great success (well, for him, not so much for LTK).

Nalano
23-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Still, I wouldn't risk it. After all, he only needs to manage that one quick-time event for explosions and great success (well, for him, not so much for LTK).

Unless LTK locks his front door.

Because we both know that it's impossible to get through a locked door. Not even with explosives.

LTK
23-11-2011, 09:14 PM
It's addressed to the guy in the room next to me. I'm one of five suspects.

Wait. That makes it more likely that my neighbour is going to be accused of stealing. Which is really a lot more dickish. A fatal flaw is uncovered in my master plan.

Shame. I really liked the idea of blackmailing someone into appreciating the intrinsic value of an indie adventure game.

westyfield
23-11-2011, 09:53 PM

I like this idea. Don't be a dick, be nice. Maybe chuck in a little mixtape or something as well. Include a letter - handwritten, of course - and sign it with a few kisses. And make sure you spray the padded envelope with a bit of perfume or cologne. It's a nice gesture. He'll love it.

DickSocrates
23-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Scratch "DAHMER" and a " ;-) " into it with a compass.

The JG Man
23-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm kinda surprised you even opened it in the first place. If you had a forwarding address, why didn't you just re-post it?

Althea
23-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm kinda surprised you even opened it in the first place.
Re-read the first paragraph ;)

Drake Sigar
23-11-2011, 10:26 PM
There's another factor to consider. Christmas is around the corner, people are starting to shop for deals, so you've probably ended up opening his kid brother's Christmas present.

I leave you to decide which is worse - withholding Christmas from a child or giving said child the brain damaging shitfest that is MW3.

The JG Man
23-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Well it was more of a general 'you' as opposed to 'YOU!', but point taken.

LTK
23-11-2011, 10:40 PM
There's another factor to consider. Christmas is around the corner, people are starting to shop for deals, so you've probably ended up opening his kid brother's Christmas present.

I leave you to decide which is worse - withholding Christmas from a child or giving said child the brain damaging shitfest that is MW3.
Well, I think people who live in single-room apartments with shared kitchen facilities will probably not be able to afford giving expensive PS3 games away as gifts.

Although the person in question doesn't live here anymore, so that casts some doubt on my prediction.

I'm kinda surprised you even opened it in the first place. If you had a forwarding address, why didn't you just re-post it?
I don't have a forwarding address. For this plan to work, I'd have to track down the person in question first. In the few weeks that I've been living here, I've found that people are not especially good at forwarding their mail.

The JG Man
23-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh, well, that does indeed suck. The person who ordered isn't none too smart.

Squiz
23-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Well, I think people who live in single-room apartments with shared kitchen facilities will probably not be able to afford giving expensive PS3 games away as gifts.

I don't have a forwarding address. For this plan to work, I'd have to track down the person in question first. ...Christmas time, poor people that loose gifts intended for their loved ones, good and noble yet laborious deeds to be done... Dickens, is that you again?

Nalano
23-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Christmas time, poor people that loose gifts intended for their loved ones, good and noble yet laborious deeds to be done... Dickens, is that you again?

Honey, I sold my watch to buy you a comb. What, you sold your hair to buy me a watchband? Oh, drama!

I don't have a forwarding address. For this plan to work, I'd have to track down the person in question first. In the few weeks that I've been living here, I've found that people are not especially good at forwarding their mail.

So keep it 'til Christmas, and if he doesn't show up to claim it, sell it.