PDA

View Full Version : Alright, whose arse should I kick?

Bhazor
23-11-2011, 09:42 PM
So I just bought the Dragon Age: Origins : Ultimate Edition at the weekend from GamersGate. The first time I've bought anything from them in fact.

So after about 12 hours the download was complete and I eagerly installed it (which took about ninety minutes). Only to be greeted with the friendly message "AWC.dll is misconfigured. Please reinstall". So I did. It came up again. So I reinstalled it again. Then again. And again. Then after going online and reading a few dozen threads about this, none of which made the game functional, I discovered this is due to an invalid validation check. In short DRM done wrecked ma game. The best solution I heard was to register the game in Origin. Which is something I couldn't try as Origin just doesn't work on my computer.

The question is who should I yell at most? Gamersgate for a dodgy installation? EA for using a dodgy DRM tech? EAs tech people for a Client that won't run on my computer? A third party for their DRM?

Oh who am I kidding I'm gonna send words at them all.

Mihkel
23-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Crack it man.

Nalano
23-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't know if anybody's ever gone wrong by blaming EA.

vinraith
23-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Gamersgate support is generally very good, ask them for assistance and if it's in their power to fix this they will. EA probably deserves the brunt of your actual hostility, however.

acidtestportfolio
23-11-2011, 09:59 PM
i am firmly for cracking it

crack it and eat the tasty nut inside of it

Bhazor
23-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Well like I said I've never dealt with Gamers Gate so I don't know much of their reputation. But I have heard some good things. I'll try to use fewer cuss words in my email to them.

I don't like cracks. They've screwed withmy system files too many times for me to go in unprepared and honestly if I can't get it working I'll just go back and finish Arcanum instead (I mean that game has got to get better sooner or later).

hariseldon
23-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I've found Gamersgate to be pretty good tbh, in this case I'd say that as the DRM is game-breaking you should use a crack.

Wizardry
23-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Just do the sensible thing and pirate it.

Mihkel
23-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Just do the sensible thing and pirate it.

Yeah actually. You already own the game. Also download all the DLC, fuck em.

TillEulenspiegel
23-11-2011, 10:18 PM
It's funny 'cause the retail version of DA:O had only the very simplest of disc checks in an unencrypted EXE. A monkey could crack it. Well, a monkey who knows x86 assembly and how to use OllyDbg.

Guess they decided to break (some of?) the downloaded versions. Like Nalano says, I'd blame EA.

Wizardry
23-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah actually. You already own the game. Also download all the DLC, fuck em.
Have the DLCs been cracked?

vinraith
23-11-2011, 10:24 PM
It's funny 'cause the retail version of DA:O had only the very simplest of disc checks in an unencrypted EXE. A monkey could crack it. Well, a monkey who knows x86 assembly and how to use OllyDbg.

Guess they decided to break (some of?) the downloaded versions. Like Nalano says, I'd blame EA.

This has become weirdly common: saddle the digital versions with broken-ass DRM but leave the retail box version relatively untouched. Ubi removing Tages from boxed Anno 1404 but leaving it on all the digital versions springs to mind.

Nalano
23-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Ubi [doing something stupid and inconsistent with DRM] springs to mind.

Considering how often that happens, how could it not?

Mihkel
23-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Have the DLCs been cracked?

Yea. If I remember this correctly it's just copy paste and shit works well.
My mistake, they come with an installer and shit works well, no cracking required.

Jajusha
23-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Yep, contact GamersGate. I had problems once with a game from them and they did everything in their power to have the situation fixed.

Bhazor
29-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Well as per the consensus I downloaded a crack to get it working . On the plus side it now works like a charm on the down side it has started me onto a life of crimes. Oh noes!

I did try the legit way but Gamersgate just told me to contact EA and EAs help was less effective, more convuluted and took much longer than downloading a 5mb cracked exe. But I have to say EA were alot more responsive than I expected. Their live chat guy talked me through a couple of things I hadn't tried yet and the wait to speak to him was <10minutes. I mean he didn't solve the problem but he certainly helped me with it.

hamster
29-11-2011, 02:47 PM
It's a slippery slope, my friend. Soon you'll be into a different sort of crack ;) Then comes heroin. And then the boxcutters. Bang up a girl, abuse her, abuse your kid, get hit by a car, fall into a vegetative coma, miraculously recover...confess to the Almighty One...just remember that it all started with Ubisoft.

Fuck you Ubisoft for shitting on the name of Ghost Recon.

Lukasz
29-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Well as per the consensus I downloaded a crack to get it working . On the plus side it now works like a charm on the down side it has started me onto a life of crimes. Oh noes!

I did try the legit way but Gamersgate just told me to contact EA and EAs help was less effective, more convuluted and took much longer than downloading a 5mb cracked exe. But I have to say EA were alot more responsive than I expected. Their live chat guy talked me through a couple of things I hadn't tried yet and the wait to speak to him was <10minutes. I mean he didn't solve the problem but he certainly helped me with it.
Ultimate edition comes with all DLC and awekening. Do they work too with cracked game or you just get the core game?

Enjoy the game and don't get angry at a particular part of the game. we all hate it.

Shane
29-11-2011, 03:49 PM
...don't get angry at a particular part of the game. we all hate it.

The particular part being the entirety of the game?

Lukasz
29-11-2011, 03:56 PM
The particular part being the entirety of the game?

no. deep roads. rest of the game is good to very good with few moments of exceptional goodness (did put only 50 hours in it and did not finish. rescue the princess storyline mission is where i got off. so can't speak about the ending)

Kelron
29-11-2011, 04:08 PM
rescue the princess storyline mission is where i got off.

Is it ok if I misinterpret your words in an amusing manner?

Smashbox
29-11-2011, 05:01 PM
The Deep Roads is where I got off... if you know what I mean.

Bhazor
29-01-2012, 04:28 PM
To answer the question.
Yes the DLC does work because it's an unlock code tied to your account rather than the game. Just type the code in your EA account and download it in game.

I've since cracked a few other games to play on my netbook (no disc drive you see) like PC Fitness and NOLF 2. I think soon I'll give smuggling a try.

CuriousOrange
29-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Well Gamersgate games do suck a bit. The only time I've bought something from them with no issues has been when it's just been a serial to activate on Steam. I now only buy titles that can be activated on Steam.

But they do give rather swift and effective customer support.

Drake Sigar
30-01-2012, 01:05 AM
It's funny 'cause the retail version of DA:O had only the very simplest of disc checks in an unencrypted EXE.

Indeed, I was most pleased when I heard the news months in advance. You'd think EA would make the digital version DRM free to encourage customers to buy digitally because the cost of producing casing isn't a factor. Or maybe they'd prefer customers buy retail because otherwise people might start wondering what we actually need publishers for in today's digital market.

vecordae
30-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Whatever you may think of the game, Dragon Age taught me a very important lesson about myself: My brain will simply fail to process any obvious character flaws when those flaws are possessed by a sweet-sounding red-head with a lovely accent.