PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players

Kelron
24-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Last year, I bought a Creative X-Fi Style 16GB player for 65 thanks to a pricing error. I managed to break the screen a few months later, and have been without a decent player for most of the year. Creative won't repair it, I can't find anywhere at all that will do repairs, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Although I was happy with the player and it sounded great, the controls were a little fiddly (no independent volume control for one, so I couldn't change it while in menus) and a replacement would cost 90. I don't want to go less than 16GB, unless it has an SD card slot. I only want it for music, any video playback or similar features are irrelevant. The only extras I would like but don't need are radio and a speaker. There's a few other players I could get cheaper than a replacement X-Fi, and I'd like to know if anyone has opinions on them or alternatives.

Creative M300 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-M300-Bluetooth-Player-Built-/dp/B005UB2V2O/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322096277&sr=1-16) - cheap, but it looks small and fiddly.
Sandisk Sansa (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Sansa-View-Video-Player/dp/B000WP1LZ6/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322096277&sr=1-19) - Looks nice, has a card slot, but the name reminds me of Sansa Stark.
Sony nznnwzwjsnz (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZ-E465-Recorder-Headphones-Included/dp/B0065R152O/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322096277&sr=1-24) - I have no idea what the difference is between the 100 different Sony models for a similar price.
Philips GoGear (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SA1ARA16KI-05-GoGear-iPlayer/dp/B002FGT40O/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322096277&sr=1-23)

Skalpadda
24-11-2011, 02:39 AM
I've had a Sandisk Sansa Clip+ for about 6 months and I quite like it.

Pros: It's small, plays music, sounds good and has a minimum of redundant features. Battery life is pretty decent as well. The interface is also minimal but very easy to use.

Cons: While it's a sturdy little thing that's survived being dropped on the floor about a thousand times the clip bit is a bit flimsy and seems like it could break easily (I keep it in a pocket so doesn't matter to me, but if you're going running in tights or something..). If you load up an SD card with a lot of new songs it can take a couple of minutes for it to build the library. The IEMs that come with it aren't great so you'll probably want to replace those (or use the ones you have if you're happy with them) but then that goes for pretty much any portable music player you buy.

Rii
24-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Sony nznnwzwjsnz (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZ-E465-Recorder-Headphones-Included/dp/B0065R152O/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322096277&sr=1-24) - I have no idea what the difference is between the 100 different Sony models for a similar price.

Check out the Sony site, they'll likely have only the latest revision or two of each product line listed there which should help narrow the field a bit.

GraveyardJimmy
24-11-2011, 12:00 PM
When buying my MP3 player and my girlfriends (a sony walkman and sansa clip + respectively) I used the anythingbutipod website for recommendations which has things to suit a lot of ranges of budgets.

Fiyenyaa
24-11-2011, 02:16 PM
The one that I've used for years is the Creative Vision M 30Gb (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-ZEN-Vision-Multi-Media-Player/dp/B000E3U4JU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322140471&sr=1-3).

Pretty old, but it's stood up to the test of time for me. Decent capacity, fairly good interface, and rarely crashed (also, the times it's crashed have always been solved by simply pressing the poke-it-with-a-paper-clip restart button).
You'll have to get 'em second-hand these days though, I should think.

Kelron
24-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I've had a Sandisk Sansa Clip+ for about 6 months and I quite like it.

Pros: It's small, plays music, sounds good and has a minimum of redundant features. Battery life is pretty decent as well. The interface is also minimal but very easy to use.

Cons: While it's a sturdy little thing that's survived being dropped on the floor about a thousand times the clip bit is a bit flimsy and seems like it could break easily (I keep it in a pocket so doesn't matter to me, but if you're going running in tights or something..). If you load up an SD card with a lot of new songs it can take a couple of minutes for it to build the library. The IEMs that come with it aren't great so you'll probably want to replace those (or use the ones you have if you're happy with them) but then that goes for pretty much any portable music player you buy.

How does the SD card work? Will any music on it be shown the same as music on the internal memory, or will I have to switch between the two? And does the SD card only build the library when the card's been removed or is it every time I turn it on (apparently the Sansa View does it every time it switches on, which would be annoying). Play are currently selling the 8GB version for 30 which would be a great deal if I get an SD card to go with it, I don't add new music that often.

I've also been looking at the Cowon I9 (http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4029407/art/cowon-iaudio/iaudio-i9-16-gb-mp3-playe.html) at the other end of my budget. I'm more inclined to go for the cheap options, but I've heard very good things about Cowon players.

tomeoftom
24-11-2011, 10:34 PM
sansa clip+ of mine WAS great for like a month until it simply died, without any maltreatment on my behalf

Kelron
24-11-2011, 10:43 PM
sansa clip+ of mine WAS great for like a month until it simply died, without any maltreatment on my behalf

That's why I'm reluctant to buy older models of players that are only available 2nd hand or from ebay. If I buy something new at least I can get a replacement if it dies on me.

Gerbick
24-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Bought my wife a Sansa Clip+ a year or so ago. Great little player. I just asked her about the extra card and the library, and she said that once it's built the library the first time it only does it again when you chage stuff round on it.

Kelron
24-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Sounds good. 15 hours battery life seems a little short, but if I'm saving myself 50 I don't think I'll mind too much.

Nova
24-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm also happy with the Sansa.
To answer your question, the music on the SD card is separated.

It's not the loudest player at least with my PortaPros in the city. It is fine with normal plugs.

sabrage
25-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Sansa Clip+ for music, Cowon C2 (http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-C2-16BS-Video-Player-Silver/dp/B005C3GYE6) if you want something a little nicer. Both choices based on price and sound quality.

Kelron
29-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I bought the Clip+, arrived today. It made sense to go for the cheap option considering I will rarely be using it for more than 30 minutes a day, and I doubt I could find anything better for 40. But I can't help feeling a little disappointed with the sound quality. Max volume is just about loud enough for outdoor use, and my previous 2 players (the Creative and a big bulky Iriver) both sounded a lot better. Using the equaliser on anything other than default settings seems to result in a drop in volume and sound quality. It also doesn't recognise the tags on a few of my albums, and they display properly on my PC and old players.

Ravelle
29-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I had a Creative Zen Plus, great little device but wanted something with more space and decided to switch to iPod Touch, a bit expensive but still very happy with it.

Jockie
29-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I use a Sony (NWZ-A845 if we're getting specific), based purely on reviews i'd seen of the Sansa clip, suggesting it had relatively poor sound quality (and because I have an aversion to apple products).
I'm quite happy with my Sony, although the FM tuner earphones included aren't very good.

Kelron
29-11-2011, 07:56 PM
The reviews I've read praised the sound quality, so I find it a little strange. However I think the first album I tried listening to had a low bitrate, which may have been the cause of the issue. Other music sounds fine but a little bit off from what I'm used to - and using the equaliser to try and balance it does result in a noticeable drop in quality.

The volume issue is apparently due to a European law limiting volume, going to try resetting it and telling it I'm somewhere else to see if that helps.

Edit: And help it did. I can now deafen myself as much as I wish.

Nova
29-11-2011, 10:54 PM
How did you reset that?

Could be useful with my external headphones.

Kelron
29-11-2011, 11:41 PM
System settings -> Reset factory settings. It will then ask you to choose language and region again. If you choose NA or Rest of World a new volume option will appear in system settings where you can choose normal or high.

DarkNoghri
30-11-2011, 02:48 AM
System settings -> Reset factory settings. It will then ask you to choose language and region again. If you choose NA or Rest of World a new volume option will appear in system settings where you can choose normal or high.

Heh. I was actually going to mention that when I saw that you had complained about the volume.

Anyway, it's also worth noting that the Clip+ can be Rockboxed.

Nova
30-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Gonna try that. Thanks.

Rockbox, interesting. Is that recommendable?

Kelron
30-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I had Rockbox on my Iriver and it was nice, but that had a much bigger screen. Seems like it might be a little fiddly on the Clip. Also not sure if it retains the quick left/right menu navigation, which I really like.

DarkNoghri
03-12-2011, 06:46 AM
You know you want to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rVV_0xKmhw

I like it. If I recall correctly, it's supposed to get better battery life, which is at least one good thing. It's very customizable (you can get a bunch of different skins), and it also has on-the-fly playlist creation, which I don't think the original firmware does. Audio format support is increased, and it properly handles gapless playback with all formats. Anyway, it's easy to try out. You can always boot the old firmware if needed, and it boots automatically for charging, unless something has changed.

Nova
03-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Nice, and if you can always get back to the old firmware I'm going to try it out. Thanks.

coldvvvave
04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I had samsung YP-P3 for a couple of years but then it stopped working properly so I bought Cowon J3. Both are good, I'm pretty sure Samsung wins in user-friendly interface and has a better screen. Cowon on the other hand has a slot for an SD card and is as good as a player as a YP-P3.

Kelron
05-12-2011, 10:55 PM
It keeps "refreshing my media" when I turn it on, but not every time. Not sure if it's a bug or if the SD card is getting jolted in its socket.

DarkNoghri
06-12-2011, 02:49 AM
It should only do that when you change the files. Is it happening more often than that?

Kelron
06-12-2011, 11:42 PM
It happens if I take the SD card out and put it back in. It also sometimes happens when I don't.