PDA

View Full Version : What would the perfect situation be?

MessyPenguin
24-11-2011, 09:54 PM
So i'm seeing all the Ubisoft stuff happening and i was thinking?
What would the perfect world be like:
A what i guess is perceived as a AAA Game gets developed for PC.
It gets all the mouse driven GUI and all of John Walker's (I think) recommendations and all that
This gets ported to XBOX and PS3 so the textures are lowered for their consoles but we still have high-res and all that
It gets sold on Steam
There is all the server, system and everything settings you can imagine

Would that be the perfect Game?

If so why does this not happen?
Is it a business thing? Is it someone says if you make this perfect game you will invest 50 million and you will get back 100 Million and then someone says if you make it a console game and then port to PC you will invest 50 Million you will get back 200 Million but the PC gamers wont like it

Is that how it works?

Made up numbers and just general musings
What would be your perfect gaming situation?

somini
24-11-2011, 11:03 PM
An Obsidian Game
No Bugs.

TailSwallower
25-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Van Buren released as the original team intended.
(No bugs.)

But generally yes, I think multi-platform games would be improved by being developed for PC and then scoped down for consoles, considering how much better PC hardware is (I'm including M+K in this - at least when it comes to UI).

Wizardry
25-11-2011, 02:08 AM
A Wizardry 9 released in a fancy modern engine with pretty graphics to fool shallow gamers into buying it.

SirKicksalot
25-11-2011, 02:11 AM
How hard can it be to make two interfaces - one for m/kb and one for controllers - and switch between them on the fly when you change the input method?
As of now I'd give anything to have Oblivion's UI in Skyrim instead of that thing.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 02:29 AM
SimCity 5.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 02:30 AM
A Wizardry 9 released in a fancy modern engine with pretty graphics to fool shallow gamers into buying it.

Now there's something I'd preorder. If they wanted to put out prettied-up remakes of 6 - 8 while they were at it I'd buy those too.

Wizardry
25-11-2011, 02:44 AM
If they wanted to put out prettied-up remakes of 6 - 8 while they were at it I'd buy those too.
A construction kit will do. The fans would remake the whole series using it.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 02:46 AM

Excellent point.

DigitalSignalX
25-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Stardock acquires the license and makes Homeworld 3. They sell it on GoG without DRM and give away an SDK so people can add their own ships, missions, and play co-op and pvp. Then Krispy Kreme opens a store in my area, and I eat the perfect donuts while playing HW3 for the next 5 years.

Tikey
25-11-2011, 03:48 AM
Stardock? Why them? I don't see them having the pedigree for a Homeworld game.

SirKicksalot
25-11-2011, 05:18 AM
I think he means Ironclad.

DigitalSignalX
25-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Anyone capable of making it the way it needs to be made frankly - Stardock came closer then anyone else in the past decade.

Megagun
25-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Game code released as open-source upon release, with the assets being proprietary until about 7 years down the road, at which point they're released under a fairly permissive license (CC-by-sa or CC-by-nc-sa).

Won't ever happen, but that would be sweet.

c-Row
25-11-2011, 01:25 PM

RoleplayMania? I would buy that!