PDA

View Full Version : Dark Messiah; Convince Me.

ReverendMoosey
24-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Hello chaps and chappettes!

I've been wondering about Dark Messiah for a while now and it's on sale for 4. I've also heard it has a great melee system in place, but I'd like to hear how some of you found it before I take the plunge.

So go on folks, convince me it's worth it.

Wizardry
24-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Hello chap or chappette!

Play Might and Magic instead of this spin-off.

pakoito
24-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Imagine a boot and some guy flying to his death.

Kelron
24-11-2011, 09:46 PM
It's not an RPG, even by looser definitions than Wizardry's. I won't try and compare it to the main Might and Magic series. But it is great fun as an action game, with many different ways to kill orcs.

ReverendMoosey
24-11-2011, 09:48 PM
My first thread and Wizardry is the first reply. I feel strangely honoured.
I was talking about Dark Messiah though; do you have any comments particular to that game? Any comments on the first-person melee system? And although this may be asking a lot, any comments about Dark Messiah that only refers to games from this decade?

ReverendMoosey
24-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I like the thought of booting people to their deaths. It's a need Bulletstorm could barely fill.

pakoito
24-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Imagine using ice hands to create a sliding path to a cliff. Then using the boot to slide one enemy to their deaths.

Disclaimer: Not sure if base game or Elements expansion.

Kelron
24-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Imagine using ice hands to create a sliding path to a cliff. Then using the boot to slide one enemy to their deaths.

Disclaimer: Not sure if base game or Elements expansion.

Elements was the Xbox 360 version. Not sure if they're exactly the same game, but you can definitely do that on PC.

Drake Sigar
24-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Dark Messiah is the best orc kicking simulator in existence. The butts of evil await your bootprint.

Flint
24-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Ignoreable throaway plot, terribly inane supporting characters that are actually downright annoying, a blatantly tacked-on BIG DECISION MOMENT which you don't really care about because it's hard to give a damn about the plot in general, an overlong catacomb sequence which gets incredibly tedious... and immensely fun melee combat that should be copied to every single first person fantasy romp from now on. And we might as well just copy the kick into every single action game in general.

ReverendMoosey
24-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Then I shan't keep them waiting. Kicking orcs down ice-slides is what I was born to do.
An oddly specific fate, but one I rather like.

Also, I got to communicate with Wizardry, so it's been a successful thread in several ways.

Thanks for all your help, it's been useful!

Drake Sigar
24-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Would you like his autograph? He'll also sign your chest for a modest fee.

SirKicksalot
24-11-2011, 10:11 PM
It's the best first-person melee game. Even fighting with staffs is awesome.
It has some of the most annoying NPCs ever, a lot of spiders and a bunch of non-challenging shitty bosses but the combat is amazing and makes up for any flaws. Being a mage or a stealth dude is fun, but other games handle those well too. The melee fighting is the main attraction. Have you played Riddick? Dark Messiah does first-person better.

I played the demo over and over again before buying the game. Give it a try, just keep in mind that the full game is slightly less buggy and runs better.
Not much better.

(it's amazing in 3D btw)

Fiyenyaa
24-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Best first-person melee combat system I've played. It's really satisfying in a way that most other similar games aren't, and I think at least part of the reason for that is the awareness of your own character's body that you get (i.e. if you look down, you'll see your body instead of nothing).
Flint's summation is basically spot-on.

pakoito
24-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Elements was the Xbox 360 version. Not sure if they're exactly the same game, but you can definitely do that on PC.Elements added more magic interactions, I can't remember which.

DzX
24-11-2011, 10:19 PM
As you said the game has an excellent first person melee combat system - still one of the best around to my knowledge, and infinitely better than that of Skyrim. It's based on an old version of the Source Engine, thus the game looks pretty poor by today's standards, and a bland art-style hasn't really helped matters, it's quite short, and extremely linear. However for that price I'd say go for it - the combat system alone is worth the price of admission, you can kill people in a variety of amusing ways, even if you're not rewarded for it ala Bulletstorm, and there's enough variety within the scripted segments for you to enjoy a single playthrough, but that's really all you'll get out it as multi-player is completely dead.

cosmicolor
24-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Obligatory video to post in these threads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E