PDA

View Full Version : No New Games For a Year

Kelron
24-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I have over 300 games on Steam, I'm not sure I've even played half of them. Of the ones I have played, many were only for an hour or two. I have more unplayed games from other sites, and even a few on disc.

I'm terrible for impulse buying games. I'll pick up almost anything that's cheap and looks vaguely interesting. I'll subscribe to MMOs and stop playing after 2 weeks. Even amongst the games I really enjoy, few last more than 20 hours before my attention wanders to something else. At the start of the year I decided to limit myself to buying 1 new game a month, but only kept it up for 3 months before buying a big stack of games in a sale. I don't think I've played most of the games I bought then.

So I'm setting myself a challenge. I'm not going to buy any games, no matter how cheap they are, how good they look or how much RPS rave about them. I'm not even going to download free games. I'm not going to try and force myself to work through my backlog in alphabetical order or finish games if I'm bored of them, but I'll give every game I play a fair chance. I'm going to keep a (brief) log here of what I'm playing and when I bought it (if I can remember). Maybe someone will find it interesting.

Now Playing: Skyrim - Preordered, playing since release.

I'm surprised by how much this has gripped me. 44 hours might not be long compared to the playtimes some of my friends have racked up, but it's longer than I stuck with either Oblivion or Fallout 3. I think I've still got a way to go to catch up with Morrowind, but I'm not close to getting bored yet.

Multiplayer Games:

I've been playing Blood Bowl, ArmA 2 and Solium Infernum regularly for months or years now and don't plan to stop. Multiplayer gaming seems to hold my attention in a way single player does not, although my stamina for competitive shooters seems to have disappeared since I got bored of TF2. I spent 6 years playing EVE regularly and very little of other games, I half want to find another MMO to replace it (although I've had no luck so far) but I also feel I don't want to sink that much time into a single game.

Fumarole
24-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Good luck, you're going to need a strong will for this task.

LaunchJC
24-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Be interested to see if you can keep that up! I don't think I could :( I probably only have about 30 games on Steam and I feel guilty about all the ones I've barely played.

Gerbick
25-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Interesting idea. Might have to do something similar myself. At least until Guild Wars 2 is out...

Creeping Death
25-11-2011, 01:17 AM
540 games on Steam (that number rises FAR too quickly) but I've been pretty good at playing most of them for a decent amount of time. 5 hours is generally the length of time I need to reach to not feel bad, as it's about as long as most sp action games last these days. I think last I checked my unplayed games count was 30 or so, and most of them are random ones that were part of developer packs where I played most of the other games included... kinda makes them feel free to me :P

Good luck with no games for a year. I know I couldn't do it. I already feel left out having to wait until xmas for Skyrim!

The JG Man
25-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I think you're going about this too hard on yourself. You will undoubtedly want to get games coming out in the year, unless you shut off your eyes from the internet and your ears from verbal media and friends. Instead, I recommend making a list of all the games you want in the coming year. These are ones that you specifically, definitely, want to play. From then, you don't purchase any others.

Ultimately, it's a hobby and you need to do what you enjoy, but don't rule absolutely everything out.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 01:40 AM
I have 157 games on Steam.

How the hell do you guys do it?

Kelron
25-11-2011, 01:50 AM
I recommend making a list of all the games you want in the coming year. These are ones that you specifically, definitely, want to play. From then, you don't purchase any others.

I can't think of any, I tend to be blissfully unaware of upcoming games until the pre-release hype starts. Maybe Arma 3, but that will likely benefit from a few month's patching. I don't want to buy any games because I so rarely play the ones I do buy, and it's not like I won't have quality games to play. Here's a few of the titles I own but have barely/never played:

Arkham Asylum
The Binding of Isaac
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
F1 2011
Geneforge 1-5
Pride of Nations
Silent Hunter 3+4
Victoria II

These are not games I'd be forcing myself to play for the sake of it. They look great, I want to play them, but I constantly get distracted and I seem to spend more time buying games than playing them.

Drake Sigar
25-11-2011, 01:51 AM
I must have 300 or so games, all physically on my shelves, all played, most completed. You make the Wallmart episode of South Park look completely straight.

SirKicksalot
25-11-2011, 01:59 AM

http://oi44.tinypic.com/wsl72p.jpg

TailSwallower
25-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Instead, I recommend making a list of all the games you want in the coming year. These are ones that you specifically, definitely, want to play. From then, you don't purchase any others.

I think this could be a great idea for AAA games, as they have marketing departments that should be putting the word out well in advance, but there's a good chance you'd miss out on some fantastic Indie games.

Personally I don't feel my backlog is too big (probably less than 20 games that are un-or-hardly played), but the problem is that some of those are potentially huge. Sword of the Stars, New Vegas, DoW I&II expansions, and I really want the Geneforge games, which sound potentially mammoth.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 02:16 AM

Well, it helps to have a psychotic friend who gifted you every single $5 for 5 games indie pack last Xmas. That's like 50, right there.

It also helps that Steam counts every single piece of $0.50 DLC as a "game" for purposes of that count.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 02:27 AM
As to the topic at hand, I have a sizable game backlog of my own, but I won't be making a pledge to stop buying games, for a couple of reasons:

1) At least half of my backlog is crap. I got taken, because I was a sucker for a cheap game price and for a long time indulged a horder's instinct, but there's a lot of stuff I have that I'll never play and that simply isn't worth my time. It's a stupid waste, but in a digital world there's no way to sell it off or give it away, so it can only be taken as a valuable (and ultimately expensive, despite the cheap unit price) lesson.

2) I have no intention of ceasing to support those game houses whose output I value just because I've been a dumbass buying cheap shit for the past couple of years. I'm going to keep buying games I enjoy from developers I like, and I'm going to do it at full price.

Which leads me to my own pledge, which I've talked about around here a few times, and it's simply this: no more buying games just because they're cheap. I have little enough gaming time that hording makes absolutely no sense. I'll stick to the stuff I care about, the stuff I actively want to support or want to play right now, and everything else can slide on by.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 02:31 AM
If we're gonna be all on-topic 'n shit,

ME3 comes out in 2012. I can't abstain.

Other than that, I'm pretty set.

soldant
25-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Most of the games I barely play were bought on special, and a lot of them are indie titles which are fairly light on gameplay and not much fun for me. I've got 140 games in my library but only about 50 installed at any one time, with about 10 or so seeing regular playtime. Most of them I've got installed simply because I might like to revisit them at some point (the Half Life series is always installed).

I'm going to follow Vinraith's example and stop buying stuff simply because it's cheap, particularly the indie titles that I'm not certain I'll enjoy. I wish I could gift some of these titles to other people.

DigitalSignalX
25-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Diablo 3 and ME 3 are the only "absolutely positively gotta have" games of 2012 so far. Maybe you should make a list of anticipated games you will allow yourself to buy in 2012 and then make the pledge for everything that comes up NOT on that list.

The JG Man
25-11-2011, 03:24 AM
no more buying games just because they're cheap

As my dad would say, you only save money on a sale if you were already going to get it anyhow. For example:

Game A is £20. You were going to get it. It goes on sale for £10. You buy it, £10 saved.
Game B is £10. You weren't going to get it, but now it's on sale for £5. You buy it, that's £5 extra spent.

It's why shops put on so many sales. How many times have you bought bottles of Tango on sale? I know I sure as hell don't buy it the rest of the time!

pakoito
25-11-2011, 04:29 AM
As my dad would say, you only save money on a sale if you were already going to get it anyhow. For example:

Game A is £20. You were going to get it. It goes on sale for £10. You buy it, £10 saved.
Game B is £10. You weren't going to get it, but now it's on sale for £5. You buy it, that's £5 extra spent.

It's why shops put on so many sales. How many times have you bought bottles of Tango on sale? I know I sure as hell don't buy it the rest of the time!This is the smartest piece of writing I have read in the past ten years. Too bad I just bought the Humble Introversion Bundle because I played Darwinia and Uplink 10 decades ago and I feel guilty.

PS: I only remember Uplink as "impossible, NEED MORE PROXIES" and Darwinia as "friends pointing at the screen laughing at me for playing that shit".

vinraith
25-11-2011, 04:37 AM

All true, of course, but the trick is that your brain often tries to convince you that game B is also something "you were going to get," even though that's bull.

Fumarole
25-11-2011, 05:48 AM
It also helps that Steam counts every single piece of $0.50 DLC as a "game" for purposes of that count.Not necessarily. The DLC is counted in the Community profile, but when one views their games from the Library the number of games listed under dropdown for All is probably different. For me they are 272 and 208, respectively.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Not necessarily. The DLC is counted in the Community profile, but when one views their games from the Library the number of games listed under dropdown for All is probably different. For me they are 272 and 208, respectively.

So they are. In fact it's about a 30% drop from the community count to the library count, for me. I like the library count a lot more. What I really wish I could get is a count of games bought on Steam, as opposed to games bought or registered on Steam, preferably one without the DLC number in there.

BobsLawnService
25-11-2011, 06:32 AM
This year was a lean year. I bought about four or five games last year between twenty and thirty. In the new year I'll probably end up picking up Rage and Serious Sam and depending on my mood Mass Effect 3 and the new Starcraft.

Juan Carlo
25-11-2011, 07:50 AM
I only have like 150 games on steam (And a good number of those are from humble bundles and the like, so it's less than it sounds), but I have a massive backlog in my "need to finish" category.

I'm actually pretty anal about finishing games, though. Even if I don't particularly like something, I will force myself to sit through it--especially if I payed money for it (I don't take the same approach to humble bundle games). So I usually play 2 or 3 at once and finish them all before moving on to the next. Having a backlog is kind of nice in that sense as you can jump from genre to genre without getting tired.

I think people jump from game to game and get scattered, though. You really do kind of have to just pick 2 games and then decide not to play anything else until they are complete if you ever want to actually finish anything. Even though I have such a huge backlog, I've played and finished tons of games this year (I've hit 30 hours a week on my steam playing time more than once this year, sad to say).

Lightbulb
25-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Interesting idea. Might have to do something similar myself. At least until Guild Wars 2 is out...

You know that was EXACTLY what I was thinking. :)

No chance I will though. Bought Orcs Must Die and Fallout New Vegas only yesterday!

Gnoupi
25-11-2011, 09:41 AM
You know, there is something which can be interesting, it's putting yourself a year of difference with games. Don't buy any game the year they are released. With your year of "no new game", you could do that next year.

This way, you play for cheaper with all price drops, and your hardware is cheaper as well. You can also be sure to not have "release bugs", since after a year, most games will have their issues patched (and the ones that won't will never get fixed anyway).

It also means playing Bethesda games with a real interface.

Possible drawbacks include mostly multiplayer games. The ones which are not solid enough, you won't be able to play them due to a lack of active players (see Brink, Shattered Horizon, etc).

Also, make sure to not put too much of a delay, though. One year is something, but let's not fall into this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cutting_edge.png

Shane
25-11-2011, 09:50 AM
ME3 comes out in 2012. I can't abstain.

Read the leaked script to know what Bioware has turned Mass Effect into.

Vexing Vision
25-11-2011, 10:47 AM
All power to you!

I am struggling hard enough with my self-imposed block on Origin-games. Mass Effect 3 (and I'm not reading any leaked script, thank you very much) will certainly test my faith. It's getting easier and easier boycotting Ubisoft games though - but not buying any games 2013? Too many highly anticipated indie-titles alone....

Creeping Death
25-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Well I've been using Steam since 2004 and it was pretty much the only place I bought games from '06 to '09 because I lived in the middle of nowhere several hours from any video game stores. Even when I moved and competitive services started popping up I still usually use steam out of habit.

So yea, 500ish games over 7 years isn't so bad. I know plenty of people that buy more and are drowning in boxes now :P

Cooper
25-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm currently trying to get out of the 'it's only worth it if I complete everything I buy' attitude I had as an adolescent. (When games were never absurdly cheap, and I didn't have as much cash to spend on games)

So, to guage if a game is 'worth it' I'm sticking to a pint-measure. Being a Londoner, a pint is somewhere about £3.

So, as long as I get (or think I will get) the pint-equivalent of enjoyment out of a game, I count it as 'worth it' a plump for the buy, even if it is something I probably wouldn;t have got otherwise.

Whilst gaming and sitting in a pub with friends are not entirely commensurate, the measure works. It means that, when I leave Torchlight untouched after a couple of hours, that's fine, because it only cost me a few quid. And when I get dozens of hours out of Fallout 3 which I nabbed in a sale; then excellent.

Kadayi
25-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I've been pondering doing a year without new games myself of late. Like most my eyes have been bigger that my actual gaming capacity (not helped by my habit or replaying/restarting sprawling life consuming time vampire RPG titles) and I've a tonne of back catalogue untouched/unfinished titles that even if I wouldn't necessarily finish them, at least are deserving of some attention. Albeit I'm interested in a number of titles next year (ME3, Prey 2, Syndicate, Infinite to say a few), I'm also thinking I can hold out on them. Right now like many I'm balls deep into Skyrim (and BF3) however I think a year hiatus from new games will allow me to finally get around to tackling Fallout New Vegas (and all the associated DLC I just bought in the Steam sales), Darksiders, Starcraft 2, Fable 3, Bulletstorm, Sims Medieval and the mass of other titles I've purchased over the last few years. I don't think I'm necessarily going to play everything through to conclusion, but I would like to at least add a few more titles to the 'finished' pile.

New years obviously seems the best time to commit to this, as the bulk of the Christmas Steam sale should be out of the way.

Kelron
25-11-2011, 03:37 PM
My problem is not cheap games specifically, although I'm more likely to buy a game if it's cheap. I have games I've paid something approaching full price for and I still don't play them. I'm not punishing myself so much as trying to exercise self control and actually get some enjoyment out of my games collection.

Tikey
25-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm actually buying games only if I'm going to play it during the following month. If not I'll wait for the next sale.

Kadayi
25-11-2011, 03:58 PM
I am struggling hard enough with my self-imposed block on Origin-games

I'll be honest VV, Origin is no more painful to use than Steam (in other words, not very), and is nowhere near the spyware bugbear certain people in the games press have made out (games journalists tend to be like Fox News commentators at times. Lots of wild speculation as to what it all means? But very little actual consultation with qualified experts on the reality). Fact of the matter is as a service it's not going anywhere, so there's little point in continuing to boycott EA titles, save to punish yourself tbh.

Heliocentric
25-11-2011, 04:19 PM
You know that was EXACTLY what I was thinking. :)

No chance I will though. Bought Orcs Must Die and Fallout New Vegas only yesterday!I got those and strangers wrath.

I have a rule:
Buy anything below £5 that takes my fancy and £7. 50 if I am obsessed with the title. NOTHING MORE EXPENSIVE

People derided me as a cheapskate.

Been at it for about a year come new year.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 05:17 PM
It's interesting to look at Kelron's solution, my solution, and Helio's solution, and recognize that while they're wildly different they all spell trouble for the mainstream gaming industry. The present bubble is dependent on people buying far more games than they can ever play, due to the sales prices being so low. Sooner or later something's going to give.

Personally, my worry is that in a market where people won't pay more than $5 for a game, we're going to end up with nothing but games that are only worth $5. Short, simple, and disposable so they can get you to buy a new one every couple of days. This is part of the reason I'm quite content to continue to buy big, meaty games at big, meaty prices.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Read the leaked script to know what Bioware has turned Mass Effect into.

Why the hell would you do that to yourself? Beyond spoiling the game for yourself, it's a work in progress.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Speaking as someone who bought ME2 the day it was released on the strength of ME1, I'm definitely going to wait for reviews on ME3. And I don't mean "immediate post release gushing new-toy" reviews, I mean word of mouth a few months later. I've avoided reading the leaked script as I don't think the situation is completely hopeless, but I like very little of what I've seen about the game thus far.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Speaking as someone who bought ME2 the day it was released on the strength of ME1, I'm definitely going to wait for reviews on ME3. And I don't mean "immediate post release gushing new-toy" reviews, I mean word of mouth a few months later. I've avoided reading the leaked script as I don't think the situation is completely hopeless, but I like very little of what I've seen about the game thus far.

I bought it then, too, and aside from the "why the hell am I siding with Cerberus" idiot plot, I found it to be much more playable than the original and the interactions with my companions and important NPCs to be quite enjoyable.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I bought it then, too, and aside from the "why the hell am I siding with Cerberus" idiot plot,

By virtue of the kind of character I'd built for ME1 (a very specific kind of renegade) that stuff REALLY bothered me. To give you an idea, my reaction to (SPOILER) the crew being liquified because I didn't go to the final confrontation fast enough was "good." "My" people survived, all the Cerberus drones died, that's the "good" ending as far as my character was concerned. The only down side is that I was never able to eject that damned AI into a nearby star.

I found it to be much more playable and the interactions with my companions and important NPCs to be quite enjoyable.

The character interactions were better, the lack of the old inventory system was obviously no loss, but the whole thing just felt so... insubstantial from a mechanical perspective. It was all "going through the motions to get to the next conversation/cinematic/plot point" because there was nothing interesting about the game mechanics. That's a real loss, IMO, and makes the game a lot less enjoyable for me.

All that said, while ME2 certainly didn't convince me to buy ME3, it wouldn't convince me not to either. ME3 is losing me on the strength (or lack there of) of its own marketing and design decisions, prior to recent prepress I'd assumed I'd buy it pretty early on.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 07:54 PM
By virtue of the kind of character I'd built for ME1 (a very specific kind of renegade) that stuff REALLY bothered me. To give you an idea, my reaction to (SPOILER) the crew being liquified because I didn't go to the final confrontation fast enough was "good." "My" people survived, all the Cerberus drones died, that's the "good" ending as far as my character was concerned. The only down side is that I was never able to eject that damned AI into a nearby star.

My ME1 character was a sole survivor who killed a lot of Cerberus. My ME2 character was given no choice to stick it to Cerberus until the very end (and was, sadly, unsuccessful in offing Miranda, despite every possible attempt godIhatethatbitch). I didn't like that. But I did like that Paragon/Renegade was not Good/Bad but more Diplomatic/Violent, and as such didn't mind collecting points in either side towards my preferred playstyle of being nice to people I like and a badass to people I hate. It was far easier to do so in ME2 than ME1, for sure.

I concede that it sometimes feels too Hollywood, in that all this gleam and marketing is getting in the way of actually making a game, but I can still name and cite my opinion on every single companion and half the NPCs I came across, which is a feat in itself and a credit to the writers.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I concede that it sometimes feels too Hollywood, in that all this gleam and marketing is getting in the way of actually making a game, but I can still name and cite my opinion on every single companion and half the NPCs I came across, which is a feat in itself and a credit to the writers.

And I guess that's the big difference. I remember Miranda's name, because I hated her too. I think the other Cerb guy was named Jacob? Oh, and I remember Jak, because I hated her too, more than even the Cerb people in fact. Other than that, the only companions whose names I even remember were the ME1 carry overs.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 08:17 PM
And I guess that's the big difference. I remember Miranda's name, because I hated her too. I think the other Cerb guy was named Jacob? Oh, and I remember Jak, because I hated her too, more than even the Cerb people in fact. Other than that, the only companions whose names I even remember were the ME1 carry overs.

You don't remember Mordin Solus?

Of all the people not to remember!

(and I liked Jack; jackass woobie notwithstanding)

vinraith
25-11-2011, 08:19 PM
You don't remember Mordin Solus?

Now that you say "Mordin" it brings him to mind, yes. There's certainly no way I could have told you his last name, and to be honest I don't think I could have given you his first if you'd showed me a picture. I remember liking the character, mind you, but none of them really left any kind of indelible impression.

Nalano
25-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Now that you say "Mordin" it brings him to mind, yes. There's certainly no way I could have told you his last name, and to be honest I don't think I could have given you his first if you'd showed me a picture. I remember liking the character, mind you, but none of them really left any kind of indelible impression.

Gah! You're incorrigible.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Gah! You're incorrigible.

I'd have gone with "forgetful" myself, but this does kind of underscore a fundamental difference in how much narrative and character matter to us in games. Frankly, I've always thought games were a pretty miserable medium for telling authorially-driven stories, and a pretty great medium for telling emergent ones. I remember that insane game of EU2 I played as Dai Viet 6 years ago with far more clarity than I remember the plot of ME2.

TillEulenspiegel
25-11-2011, 08:54 PM
than I remember the plot of ME2.
Just to underline that, whenever someone mentions "Mordin", my first thought is always this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden_(Babylon_5)

And I even liked ME2.

vinraith
25-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Just to underline that, whenever someone mentions "Mordin", my first thought is always this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden_(Babylon_5) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden_%28Babylon_5%29)

And I even liked ME2.

Indeed. And yeah, I'm not really trying to knock ME2 here, but there are incredibly few game plots/characters that are actually memorable IMO.

DigitalSignalX
25-11-2011, 10:22 PM
... because I didn't go to the final confrontation fast enough was "good." "My" people survived, all the Cerberus drones died, that's the "good" ending as far as my character was concerned. ...

Totally agree except for Dr Chakwas - I saved her, the rest of the crew were expendable.

If there is a single companion moment from ME2, it's Mordin singing Gilbert and Sullivan.

Give me a second moment, and it's demasking Tali.

Still, as disappointing in terms of improvements as ME2 was after Me1, it was still a great game. ME3 will no doubt suffer some too, but it will still be a great game. We quibble about the changes, but it's worth bearing in mind that it's like arguing about what topping types are on an amazing pizza.

Nalano
26-11-2011, 12:03 AM
I'd have gone with "forgetful" myself, but this does kind of underscore a fundamental difference in how much narrative and character matter to us in games.

I'm aware of that. I'm teasing you. :P

vinraith
26-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm aware of that. I'm teasing you. :P

I know, but I also really like hearing (seeing?) myself talk (type?), surely you've noticed. :)

Nalano
26-11-2011, 12:24 AM
I know, but I also really like hearing (seeing?) myself talk (type?), surely you've noticed. :)

What, and I don't?

vinraith
26-11-2011, 12:25 AM
What, and I don't?

I defer to your post count, sir, and withdraw.

Heliocentric
26-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Get a room

neema_t
26-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Last year I decided I'd only buy two games at full price this year, and I have achieved that goal and will continue to stick to it. The two games were Deus Ex: HR and Battlefield 3, in case you were wondering.

However, my brain made the association that 'two games at full price' is essentially the same as 'anything less than full price is totally fine'. A quick look at my purchase history shows that I took full advantage of that, and as such I really don't want to know how much I've spent on Steam this year.

Nalano
26-11-2011, 12:50 AM
However, my brain made the association that 'two games at full price' is essentially the same as 'anything less than full price is totally fine'. A quick look at my purchase history shows that I took full advantage of that, and as such I really don't want to know how much I've spent on Steam this year.

$50 WoW + $20 TBC + $20 WotLK + 36mo * $15/mo + 12mo * $10/mo = $750.

Blizzard are geniuses/devils.

IDtenT
26-11-2011, 12:53 AM
I started using Steam this year. I had an account, but I never had a CC, so I only ever owned HL2, Empire: Total War and a few select others. In a year's time I've increased my library to over 200 games. Many of whom are humble bundles and the like.

I've followed a very loose rule of buying GotY (/full DLC) editions at $10 and normal releases at $5. I also generally check that it's at least 60% off.

Out of all my buys this year I've probably played 25 games more than an hour. A few of those are into hundreds of hours namely Patrician IV, Victoria II, Mount & Blade (and derivatives) and Europa Universalis III in no particular order.

It's pretty much got to the point where there is almost more fun in buying games than playing them. I mean it's a Big Mac in price. I'm an addict. That said, I have mostly ignored sales over the last few months (but now we have the pre-season sale! Urghhh...)

DarioSamo
26-11-2011, 12:54 AM
I defer to your post count, sir, and withdraw.

121 days passed between the date of this post and join date.
That's about 14,69 posts a day. O_o

Nalano
26-11-2011, 01:02 AM

121 days passed between the date of this post and join date.
That's about 14,69 posts a day. O_o

My name is Nalano, and I'm an unsolicited opinion-giver.

Hi Nalano

Drake Sigar
26-11-2011, 01:08 AM
He took a week off once and I thought he died.

neema_t
26-11-2011, 01:22 AM
$50 WoW + $20 TBC + $20 WotLK + 36mo * $15/mo + 12mo * $10/mo = $750.

Blizzard are geniuses/devils.

I got WoW, but the rest is a mystery. But yeah, that's basically what Steam is to me.

I've followed a very loose rule of buying GotY (/full DLC) editions at $10 and normal releases at $5. I also generally check that it's at least 60% off.

This is generally what I do, but sometimes maintaining the discipline can be difficult. For example, Rage, I played my brother's PS3 copy and felt pretty 'meh' about it, but then I felt this urge to play it again a few times afterwards. Then, one day, at random, the game was 33% off because of a bloody asteriod doing something in space, and that just happened to be the day after I had an itch to play Rage. So I bought it, and I don't really regret it because the amount of fun I've had so far has been £20 worth and I fully intend to finish the bloody thing unlike so many games I buy for less than £10, or even £7.50. Still, even though I try to stick to this (or something close to it), I just know I will have spent £500 on games this year or something ridiculous. Now I need to know so I'm going to work it out.

Edawan
26-11-2011, 01:23 AM
I think I only bought Portal 2 at full price this year. (and Zelda for my console-box)

According to my Steam profile I own 71 games there, of these I counted 11 games that I intend to play, and 3 that I've started and intend to finish. (and more that I've started and can't be bothered to finish)

The only games I plan to buy on release next year are ME3 and the next WoW expansion.

sabrage
26-11-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm buying Dishonored. I finally got my hands on Demon's Souls and I'm going to be enjoying that for quite a while, but I'll be back for Dishonored.

Keep
26-11-2011, 03:37 AM
I have an old computer. This is the best solution.

If it holds up til then, I'll buy a mid-range replacement in ~2 years time. That'll save me a nice tick of money. Then I might play Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, such and such. Until then, indies and classics keep me ticking. That saves me money again.

Related/unrelated: I think I like '60s music so much because the sieve of time has gotten rid of all the pap. Compare your mental image of "Music of 1968" with this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_1968_%28U.S.%29). Sometimes it's better to wait.

sabrage
26-11-2011, 04:53 AM
The 60's have no metal and no rap.

Nalano
26-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Related/unrelated: I think I like '60s music so much because the sieve of time has gotten rid of all the pap. Compare your mental image of "Music of 1968" with this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_1968_%28U.S.%29). Sometimes it's better to wait.

The thing is, while I agree that we all have a modicum of rose-tinted glasses when it comes to previous generations' music, we are not ignorant of the music of today. Yes, there was a lot of pop shit in the 60s and there's a lot of pop shit today. But I can't think of anybody, today, that is doing to music what the Beatles did in the 60s.

And to pre-empt "we just don't know who they are yet," the Beatles didn't need the "test of time" before people knew just how good their music was.

DigitalSignalX
26-11-2011, 08:13 AM
I can't think of anybody, today, that is doing to music what the Beatles did in the 60s. ... The Beatles didn't need the "test of time" before people knew just how good their music was.

I'd argue they're the exception to the rule, as frankly no one in the 70's, 80's or 90's did what the Beatles did either. Even mega giants in terms of popularity like Elvis, U2, Led Zepplin, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Elton John et al can't touch them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists) in terms of creativity and brilliance imo.

There are some good artists and albums out now, but it seems like many fail to follow up successfully as many did in previous decades. The industry probably steers more toward success now then investing long term.

Nalano
26-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I'd argue they're the exception to the rule, as frankly no one in the 70's, 80's or 90's did what the Beatles did either. Even mega giants in terms of popularity like Elvis, U2, Led Zepplin, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Elton John et al can't touch them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists) in terms of creativity and brilliance imo.

There are some good artists and albums out now, but it seems like many fail to follow up successfully as many did in previous decades. The industry probably steers more toward success now then investing long term.

I said "did to music," not "sold the most."

I'll grant that the Beatles are indeed on a perch (tho not so untouchable; they're composers, not gods). I'd argue, however, that we don't even have modern counterparts for James Brown or Willie Colon, DJ Kool Herc or the Ramones.

Queen and Sonic Youth.

In fact, I pretty much grew up listening to music not of my generation, but primarily of previous generations. I sincerely doubt that was the case in the 70s and 80s.

BathroomCitizen
26-11-2011, 04:14 PM
My will isn't strong enough to accept this challenge.

And boy, this Steam Autumn sale surely isn't helping when it gives stuff at 75% of discount!
I have 316 games and I think I haven't even tried 30% of them. I think that for Christmas I should ask Santa Claus some more gaming time.

Keep
26-11-2011, 04:39 PM
But I can't think of anybody, today, that is doing to music what the Beatles did in the 60s.

Right, or Dylan, or the West Coast or British Invasion or Greenwich Village or Tropicália or...right.

The 60's have no metal and no rap.

1969: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXKboDqiSbE
1969: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM6nasmkg7A
1969: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJIqnXTqg8I

1965: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMIlP4zB0EM
1968: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSPUxJ7ewk
and I'mma include this, even though it's actually 1970 but it's too good to pass up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaRtqrlGy8

Anyway uh back on topic ahem.

xxx
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Good luck, you're going to need a strong will for this task.
Take this post and get big win
"I recently learned something quite interesting about video games. Many young people have developed incredible hand, eye, and brain coordination in playing these games. The air force believes these kids will be our outstanding pilots should they fly our jets."

Kelron
09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Uh, thanks for that.

In retrospect I may be sneaky and change my mind about "no free games" with the new installment of X3 coming out next week. It's one thing to ignore some throaway indie game, but I'm not sure I could withstand the temptation of having an updated version of one of my all-time favourite games sitting on my Steam list staring at me.

Kadayi
09-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Well after the Steam Christmas sales ends I'll be restricting myself to only purchasing DLC/Expansion packs for games I already own, through to the following Christmas sale. I figure a year of no new purchases should give me time to work my way through a reasonable number of old umplayed/unfinished titles.

riadsala
09-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Gooc luck! It's easier than it sounds too. You just have to realise that most new games aren't actually any better than the olds games you already have. (It helps if you like big deep timesink strategy games.)

The last time i bought a game on release, well, it was Elemental. Never again.

Heliocentric
09-12-2011, 10:01 PM
That is weak.... so after spending all of your money on potentially hundreds of discounted titles, you will only buy dlcs/expansions on your current backog (including those potential hundreds you bought in Christmas).

I figure a year of no new purchases should give me time to work my way through a reasonable number of old umplayed/unfinished titles.

I know you, not only will you not last a year, you'd need more than a year to shift that backlog.

Just join me in failing by design.

SMiD
09-12-2011, 10:32 PM
I think I might make this a New Year's resolution for myself. From all of the sales, indie bundles, and Steam wishlist winning, I've got quite the backlog built-up.

So challenge accepted no-one-in-particular! I'm gonna set a goal and see what I can do to work through this mess. First up, Skyrim! Fuck.

Felix Akira
10-12-2011, 04:34 AM
First I would like to say hello to everyone as I am new here. Second I want to say how much I need to do something like this myself. My backlog is pretty overwhelming. I have 138 games on steam (most of which I still need to play), and I am just starting to get into League of Legends as well.

Kadayi
11-12-2011, 05:09 AM
I know you, not only will you not last a year, you'd need more than a year to shift that backlog.

1) Not as much as you presume.

2) I don't expect top clear my entire back catalogue, but if I work my way through 40 - 60 titles (unfinished or unplayed) then I'll be more than happy.

3) New DLC for old titles seems like a reasonable precaution. I'm not expecting much will come up (maybe some Skyrim and Saints Row 3), but at least if something tasty does turn up then I'm prepared.

squirrel
11-12-2011, 06:23 AM
This is a really boring year for gaming, and such boredom usually indicates downturn of economy.

I used to look forward to games like Battlefield 3, but with the crappy Origin issue I gave up. And another major disappointment being Rage, being unplayable on ATI cards, and recycling old formulas.

Turned out I only bought two games this year: The Witcher 2 and LA Noire. But look to the bright side, I preserve my capital for the coming year's games.

Kadayi
11-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I used to look forward to games like Battlefield 3, but with the crappy Origin issue I gave up. And another major disappointment being Rage, being unplayable on ATI cards, and recycling old formulas.

You know that Origin = Spyware thing was complete internet alarmist Bullshit yes?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2318-According-to-CT-magazine-Origin-is-not-spyware.

Fumarole
11-12-2011, 04:48 PM
It is possible to object to Origin for a reason other than presumed spyware. Forum bans, for one.

sabrage
12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, that GoG sale pretty much cleared out my wishlist. I'm planning on picking up Payday: The Heist in the Steam winter sale but that's IT. I made a list of the 10 games that I want the most, both existing and future releases, including The Heist, and I refuse to pick up any of them for more than $20 (and in several cases until after I beat their predecessors.) I went a bit overboard on games in the past few months, but now I have a massive cushion of games to ride out the year on.

I plan on making a seperate list for indies to keep an eye out for in bundles, but as a general rule I'm going to be avoiding all of those except the Humble bundles, which are always too good for me to pass up.

gundrea
12-12-2011, 02:39 PM
In this thread: Alcoholics discuss how they're going to quit drinking tomorrow.

Kadayi
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Maybe read the thread (in fact maybe even the first post) before jumping in with the trolling.

gundrea
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Maybe read the thread (in fact maybe even the first post) before jumping in with the trolling.

Oh I read the thread and I'd say that the evolution of technology in music production probably had more of an effect than we realise. Remember what it was like when the first commercial synthesizer came out? Have a listen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rScqTO-zZVs)

Kadayi
12-12-2011, 05:42 PM
What's your exact malfunction? You've been called. Getting pissy about it doesn't work when you're the interloper.

gundrea
12-12-2011, 06:10 PM
What's your exact malfunction? You've been called. Getting pissy about it doesn't work when you're the interloper.

Ok, what. You said I hadn't read the thread so I posted something to prove I had. Now I'm a malfunctioning pissy interloper? I'd respectfully suggest you refer such comments to me via PM.

On an unrelated note while I haven't given up buying games I did manage to give up buying Warhammer. Now to work on that painting backlog.

Kadayi
12-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok, what. You said I hadn't read the thread so I posted something to prove I had.

Really? Because this: -

indicates otherwise.

LordHuggington
12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
And here I was feeling a dunce for only having a dozen games that were sitting in my backlog. I've recently set a rule for myself that I will only switch to a new game once I've logged ten hours on the one I'm currently playing. That helps a lot for getting rid of said backlog, and making sure I don't over do it on Steam sales. Also, avoiding impulse buys helps a ton. I have a modest list now of games that I would like, and others I'm interested if the price comes down enough. Been sticking to that, and my library of games has since stopped ballooning at such a ridiculous pace.

ReverendMoosey
12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm up at 311 games or some such on Steam and the number just keeps increasing. Either I've got to raise my standards or Steam has to stop having such delicious sales. I've been making headway at playing each one for at least 30 minutes. Not much, but I don't have that much spare time.
Also, LordHuggington? I love your name.

Kadayi
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
And here I was feeling a dunce for only having a dozen games that were sitting in my backlog. I've recently set a rule for myself that I will only switch to a new game once I've logged ten hours on the one I'm currently playing. That helps a lot for getting rid of said backlog, and making sure I don't over do it on Steam sales. Also, avoiding impulse buys helps a ton. I have a modest list now of games that I would like, and others I'm interested if the price comes down enough. Been sticking to that, and my library of games has since stopped ballooning at such a ridiculous pace.

Some of the bigger Steam sales is what's generally done me in in terms of over purchasing for sure, especially when it's been ridiculous discounts across a particular franchise. The tendency is to think '75% off...it's never going to be that cheap again". But of course, it will (the following year).

sabrage
12-12-2011, 09:40 PM

Look man, if you can resist the power of a Steam Sale, more power to you. Some of us aren't robots.

Nalano
12-12-2011, 09:43 PM

What? I found it funny.

DigitalSignalX
12-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Now that this thread has come full circle, I'm curious if Kelron has reconsidered this idea or is still thinking of going forward with it.

Kadayi
13-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Now that this thread has come full circle, I'm curious if Kelron has reconsidered this idea or is still thinking of going forward with it.

Via PM he said he'd already started. I'm figuring post the Christmas Steam sale myself, though tbh I'm pressed to think of much if anything that really screams buy me at this exact point in time that I don't already have.

Kadayi
02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
http://probablereplicant.blogspot.com/2012/01/almost-year-of-living-retrospectively.html

I might rue this come June...

vinraith
02-01-2012, 01:06 AM
It's not something I'd do, personally, but I certainly respect the intent and the self-discipline involved. Best of luck to both Kelron and Kadayi in this, keep us apprised.

Berzee
02-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Alcoholics

Not alcoholics. People who are addicted to buying liquor and keeping it in boxes in their basement, and sometimes going down there with a flashlight to read the labels and imagine how someday they'll have time to drink it all. So...alcohol-centric shopaholics?

BARGAINZ-holics!!!!!111

Wizardry
02-01-2012, 02:20 AM
This challenge sounds piss easy. I do it without even thinking.

tomeoftom
02-01-2012, 02:51 AM
This is a great idea. I'mma join you.

LordHuggington
02-01-2012, 03:12 AM
I don't think I could get absolutely no new games for a year. I do have a hefty backlog of games from Steam, but I'm finally trudging through them. Avoiding too many lengthy epics helps me here. Short, arcade-y games with replay value, or games with relatively short campaigns selling for cheap tend to satisfy me the most. I'll try and clock 5-10 hours on my games now so that the purchase was at least justified. If I like the game, it stays on the hard drive, if not, it's sent to the ether.

Kadayi
02-01-2012, 03:52 AM

Well given: -

I'm not interested in playing any game I've not yet played.

It's hardly a a surprise.

deano2099
02-01-2012, 03:55 AM

Given how much you've posted in every discussion of every RPG released last year, I'm not sure admitting you've never played any of the games in question is wise really...

SMiD
02-01-2012, 04:00 AM
The 2012 Great Game Challange has begun. I've compiled a spreadsheet of all games owned (across all systems). The deal is no game purchases (to include DLC) until either all games have been completed (not necessarily 100%-ed) or 2013 rolls along. I've left off the list titles like TF2, L4D2, and Killing Floor as those games have no true end.

I'm off to annihilate my backlog.

Edit:
Oh, and that means you people can have my Steam coupons and whatnot. Here's the list:
Flatout
50% Runespell: Overture
50% GTA IV Complete
25% Valve
25% THQ
25% Ubisoft
50% IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
50% RUSH
25% Dead Island
50% Dwarfs?!
50% Civilization V: Goatee

sabrage
02-01-2012, 04:13 AM
The 2012 Great Game Challange has begun. I've compiled a spreadsheet of all games owned (across all systems). The deal is no game purchases (to include DLC) until either all games have been completed (not necessarily 100%-ed) or 2013 rolls along.

Care to share that spreadsheet on Google Docs or something similar? I'd be interested in seeing it.

DigitalSignalX
02-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Good luck man, absolutely no way I could resist Diablo 3 or ME3. It would be like being a diabetic locked in a chocolate shop.

SMiD
02-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Care to share that spreadsheet on Google Docs or something similar? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Linkage (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amg0PVwThqQsdHFVWXZxQkFHZmlPUW9aQVNUZmZxW FE). Bolded titles have been beaten; golden titles have been mastered/100% achievement-ed.

DigitalSignalX
02-01-2012, 04:53 AM
Linkage (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amg0PVwThqQsdHFVWXZxQkFHZmlPUW9aQVNUZmZxW FE). Bolded titles have been beaten; golden titles have been mastered/100% achievement-ed.

Nice list - you should be able to knock out a couple months on skyrim alone once the SDK comes out.

sabrage
02-01-2012, 05:16 AM
It strikes me that this is a far more elegant solution than Backloggery. If only it wouldn't mean typing out hundreds of games again...

SMiD
02-01-2012, 05:42 AM
It strikes me that this is a far more elegant solution than Backloggery. If only it wouldn't mean typing out hundreds of games again...

Hey, sometimes less is more. I say keep it simple.

Man-E-Faces
02-01-2012, 06:44 AM
I am glad I don't have the same "itch" for new games like I used to before. So I buy few games here n there, but mostly run a couple of years behind the release cycle. :)

a_bullet
02-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm in on this. Making a game of gaming - Christopher Nolan don't have nuthin' on recursion.

Kadayi
02-01-2012, 09:43 AM

I doff my cap to your meticulous record keeping approach sir. Albeit I wasn't going to necessarily draw up a big ol' list, Vs just keeping a journal I might well do something similar if nothing more than to identify what's what beyond my Steam account (I have a few GOG, battle.net & Origin titles). I do have a simple approach for my Steam library though, where in I created 4 categories: -

1) to explore - this is where I put all the multi-player games

2) Finished - nuff said

3) To play - where the fresh untouched games go

4) Unfinished/to replay - self explanatory

I probably need to split the last one tbh, but I find it's useful.

Nalano
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
I know I'm late in replying, but

So yea, 500ish games over 7 years isn't so bad. I know plenty of people that buy more and are drowning in boxes now :P

is 5.11 days per game. More than one game a week, for seven years. Jesus.

Kadayi
02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
is 5.11 days per game. More than one game a week, for seven years. Jesus.

Yeah, I think a lot of the problem is that we all to a greater or lesser degree underestimate exactly how much time it actually takes to complete a game in relation to our actual free time. Albeit many of my non-gaming friends would mark me down as a 'hardcore gamer' at best I might get 2-3 hours in on an evening if I'm lucky (more at weekends obv) but it's rare if ever that I game every night of the week as real life often intervenes or I'm just too beat to concentrate.

rayne117
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm an impulse buyer but I've greatly limited myself in the past few months. With the Humble Bundles, I get the feeling I'm buying a lot but I'm spending only a little amount of money. That probably helped me a lot.

I know I'm late in replying, but is 5.11 days per game. More than one game a week, for seven years. Jesus.

When you put it like that: Good Christ.

Vague-rant
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Hmmm, I'll probably have to do this too. Not like I don't have enough games as it is. Probably means I'll get to play through Morrowind before Skyrim too.

Heliocentric
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I use
Multiplayer, Fractal (proceduralor player generated), incomplete, done (includes games discarded to the trash heap) and a 'Shortlist' of my latest hotness. Impulse is probably better than steam when it comes to lists, only because steam keeps bloody forgetting and impulse allows games to inhabit more than 1 list.

TailSwallower
02-01-2012, 01:58 PM
impulse allows games to inhabit more than 1 list.

Steam needs to get on that pronto to take care of my OCD needs... So many genre crossers.

I really want in on this no new games for a year thing, and I think I could do it to if it wasn't for those pesky kids... I mean, pesky indie bundles.

Caleb367
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Heck, I've picked up way too much stuff on the Steam sale by now. I think I'll stick to Mass Effect 3 this year. Oh, and Skyrim DLC, eventually. And Saints Row 3 DLC. Oh wait ain't Crusader Kings 2 coming out this year too?... damn.

Roufuss
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Steam needs to get on that pronto to take care of my OCD needs... So many genre crossers.

I really want in on this no new games for a year thing, and I think I could do it to if it wasn't for those pesky kids... I mean, pesky indie bundles.

With the HIB, just consider it a gift to charity and the games are a free bonus for donating. Problem solved since you're not buying any games, but donating to charity ;)

Heliocentric
02-01-2012, 02:13 PM
With the HIB, just consider it a gift to charity and the games are a free bonus for donating. Problem solved since you're not buying any games, but donating to charity ;)
A few bottles of beer don't count, it's someone's birthday.

Kelron
02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
I may have to try organising my games in a spreadsheet or Steam categories too, it looks helpful.

I didn't find it too difficult to go through the sales without buying anything, although there were a handful of titles that tempted me, and super-cheap DLC for games like Dungeons of Dredmor and Assault Squad.

I quite enjoyed doing the achievements (ironic that my motivation for playing these games I haven't played was the chance of winning more games), I'll definitely be playing more of Bastion, Wings of Prey and Binding of Isaac now I've given them a try.

Tikey
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm going to try to jump on the no new games bandwagon. The only thing I'm eyeing this year is X-Rebirth.
Also I'm weak and I'm probably going to buy stuff during the next big sale. but I'll try my best.

Kadayi
02-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Well as a suggestion you could always do a thing of saying no big AAA titles for the year until the 2012 Christmas Steam sale as a compromise? I don't do a lot of indie gaming truth be told, so it's more the AAAs I'm avoiding for the year tbh.

icupnimpn2
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm going to continue to buy games even if I don't play them as some sort of karmic counterweight for all of the games I played without buying in my penniless teenage days

Kadayi
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
BTW for Steam users as a recommendation go to settings and change the Favourite window from Store to Library and untick the notify me instant messages box, that way you're not going to be bombarded daily with tempting offers luring you to the dark side.

/me hears Gaben crying in the distance

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Independently, I made this exact same resolution!

Right now I'm playing Age of Wonders and AI War: Fleet Command (going alphabetically). The former is as enjoyable as I remember, and the latter is bafflingly difficult. I made it as far as the AI homeworlds and found it literally impossible to destroy them, even with a full fleet.

acenck
03-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I wish you the best of luck. It's going to be difficult, but if you make it to the end of the year, you'll feel like a champ.

vinraith
03-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Independently, I made this exact same resolution!

Right now I'm playing Age of Wonders and AI War: Fleet Command (going alphabetically). The former is as enjoyable as I remember, and the latter is bafflingly difficult. I made it as far as the AI homeworlds and found it literally impossible to destroy them, even with a full fleet.

Are all the core shield networks down? If not, the AI homeworlds are literally invulnerable.

groovychainsaw
03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Whilst I admire the willpower required here, I don't think I could follow the same idea (I am weak!). I do admire those who are trying, it might be a tough year for them if something unexpected arrives and is the best thing ever...

The spreadsheetiness above has at least inspired me to organise my backlog into something I can work through in an organised manner. I'll post it up here (or maybe elsewhere? I don't want to spoil the thread!) when I'm done cataloguing, just in case anyone is interested (although fair warning, there'll be nearly as many console games as PC games on there - I'm a multiplatform person).

In relation to the thread, I'd be interested to see how others are going to organise their backlog-clearing process (way to make games sound fun, GC!). As I'm a notorious genre-jumper I'd need a handful on the go at any one time (so one RPG, one shooter, one racing and probably one arcade/short form/procedural), so it will reflect that, and I'll try to estimate remaining completion time and how much they actually took, again for curiosity and as a record of my 'year in gaming'. I'll have trouble with one or two - blood bowl will need to be a standing item for me as boss of the RPS divisions (and I get through >100 hours/year of that!) and I've got a number of jRPGs that might turn out to be a bit of a slog/timesink, given my limited playing time.

This could spiral out of control, but I need to stop letting good games that I enjoy fall by the wayside as the next big thing comes along, which I think is in the spirit of this thread, if not as disciplined as Kelron. I might even start my own thread so each time i finish one, people can vote on what gets added to the 'play' list each time. Democratise my choices to the masses? Is that a good idea? Anyways, I might post up what I get organised in a day or two, even if its just to shock people with number of unplayed games on there....

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Are all the core shield networks down? If not, the AI homeworlds are literally invulnerable.
Yes, they are. I managed to blow up a few outposts, but a Nuirnzal Cockroach spawning station would destroy every fleet I sent in.

Tikey
03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Whilst I admire the willpower required here, I don't think I could follow the same idea (I am weak!). I do admire those who are trying, it might be a tough year for them if something unexpected arrives and is the best thing ever...

The spreadsheetiness above has at least inspired me to organise my backlog into something I can work through in an organised manner. I'll post it up here (or maybe elsewhere? I don't want to spoil the thread!) when I'm done cataloguing, just in case anyone is interested (although fair warning, there'll be nearly as many console games as PC games on there - I'm a multiplatform person).

In relation to the thread, I'd be interested to see how others are going to organise their backlog-clearing process (way to make games sound fun, GC!). As I'm a notorious genre-jumper I'd need a handful on the go at any one time (so one RPG, one shooter, one racing and probably one arcade/short form/procedural), so it will reflect that, and I'll try to estimate remaining completion time and how much they actually took, again for curiosity and as a record of my 'year in gaming'. I'll have trouble with one or two - blood bowl will need to be a standing item for me as boss of the RPS divisions (and I get through >100 hours/year of that!) and I've got a number of jRPGs that might turn out to be a bit of a slog/timesink, given my limited playing time.

This could spiral out of control, but I need to stop letting good games that I enjoy fall by the wayside as the next big thing comes along, which I think is in the spirit of this thread, if not as disciplined as Kelron. I might even start my own thread so each time i finish one, people can vote on what gets added to the 'play' list each time. Democratise my choices to the masses? Is that a good idea? Anyways, I might post up what I get organised in a day or two, even if its just to shock people with number of unplayed games on there....

Someone posted a link to backloggery (http://www.backloggery.com/)in the forum. I'm going to try it. Maybe it's what you need. It seems perfect for this situation.

vinraith
03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes, they are. I managed to blow up a few outposts, but a Nuirnzal Cockroach spawning station would destroy every fleet I sent in.

Yeah, those things are vicious. Just be happy there wasn't a CPA post in the system as well, that's when things get really dicey!

Without knowing the specifics of your game it's a little hard to offer advice, but if you haven't been over to the Arcen strategy forums I'd highly recommend it. There's an archive of good advice over there, and the community is extremely friendly and helpful, they're liable to be better able to help than I. Odds are pretty good you'll get a response from one of the developers, as well.

http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/board,31.0.html

Juan Carlo
03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm thinking of waiting until next winter sale before buying anything else myself. Which shouldn't be too hard, as at this point the only must buy 2012 game I really want on release is "Avernum: Escape from the Pit."

The only hard part will be resisting whatever unexpected Indie game comes along that strikes my fancy. But indie bundles should have those covered anyway (most of the biggest indie games of 2011 were all featured in humble bundles by year's end).

So maybe my rule should be: only buy Spiderweb games/Humble Bundles for 2012?

Edit: shit, I forgot about ME3. Although I think I'll wait for the reviews on that before I buy it. If it's another DA2 I won't have any qualms about pirating it (yeah, I'm an awful person, I know).

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Any games we want in 2012 will still be here in 2013, and will probably be cheaper.

Kodeen
03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm not stopping myself from buying any games this year, but I am limiting myself to a budget of just $20 for games a month. That's $20 total, amongst all platforms, including any bundles, games for old systems on ebay, or anything else. If I want to buy a brand new game at $60, then I will have to rely on the backlog for 3 months to justify it, which honestly won't be that big a problem.

I already have all of January and half or February blacked out for an NES game: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=86

sabrage
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I already have all of January and half or February blacked out for an NES game: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=86
That looks awesome. You'll have to tell me how it is. How do you factor the incidentals of retro gaming (new batteries, special screwdrivers, replacement parts) into your monthly plan?

Kodeen
03-01-2012, 07:56 PM
That looks awesome. You'll have to tell me how it is. How do you factor the incidentals of retro gaming (new batteries, special screwdrivers, replacement parts) into your monthly plan?

The budget is software only, if I need hardware I'll just get it. Luckily I don't really need any, the NES has a new ZIF connector so that'll last quite a while. Otherwise hardware needs (unless you're getting a new system) are pretty non-existent, these things last forever.

Within reason, of course. I really, really want one of these but the price is a bit, well, beyond human reason or comprehension:

http://analogueinteractive.com/index.php

sabrage
03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
The budget is software only, if I need hardware I'll just get it. Luckily I don't really need any, the NES has a new ZIF connector so that'll last quite a while. Otherwise hardware needs (unless you're getting a new system) are pretty non-existent, these things last forever.
Yeah, it's probably just a combination of buying new systems and my OCD, but between Retrobrite, dust covers/cases and extra accessories I've found all the extras to be pretty expensive.

Rauten
03-01-2012, 08:53 PM
http://analogueinteractive.com/index.php

Bloody hell, I just built a new system this past December, and it was cheaper than that!!

DougallDogg
03-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I may have to try organising my games in a spreadsheet or Steam categories too, it looks helpful.

I didn't find it too difficult to go through the sales without buying anything, although there were a handful of titles that tempted me, and super-cheap DLC for games like Dungeons of Dredmor and Assault Squad.

I quite enjoyed doing the achievements (ironic that my motivation for playing these games I haven't played was the chance of winning more games), I'll definitely be playing more of Bastion, Wings of Prey and Binding of Isaac now I've given them a try.

I've tried doing this, even as much to organise my steam library into what I must play and finish first. Sadly the problem being with a huge library, an abundance of hard drive space and deals so cheap it feels rude to pass up on I now have a tidal wave of over 250 games installed! and I've only finished 7 of them!!!

What I need is someone to help exert some self control or just to slap my hands away from the keyboard when I see anything else on offer and make me finish what I started. Would ask the Mrs but if she found out what I spend on my "Silly little hobby" she'd go mental.

Kadayi
03-01-2012, 10:45 PM
What I need is someone to help exert some self control or just to slap my hands away from the keyboard when I see anything else on offer and make me finish what I started. Would ask the Mrs but if she found out what I spend on my "Silly little hobby" she'd go mental.

Well I just made a RPS Sales Hiatus 2012 Steam group for those wanting some support structure. I thought it might be a good idea given the number of other people wanting to do this.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SaleHiatus2012

It's a public group, so anyone who wants to can join. That way at least you're under the eyes of other sufferers.

Apols about the fast Photoshop and unoriginal name, but major flu atm so little capacity for creativity at present. :(

Nalano
03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I've tried doing this, even as much to organise my steam library into what I must play and finish first. Sadly the problem being with a huge library, an abundance of hard drive space and deals so cheap it feels rude to pass up on I now have a tidal wave of over 250 games installed! and I've only finished 7 of them!!!

I'm wondering if there's a weird nether region of the gaming industry where we have developers who don't debug their games being forced by publishers who don't test their products to release to customers who never actually get around to playing them.

You have to admit, it would certainly explain a lot of things.

DougallDogg
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Well I just made a RPS Sales Hiatus 2012 Steam group for those wanting some support structure. I thought it might be a good idea given the number of other people wanting to do this.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SaleHiatus2012

It's a public group, so anyone who wants to can join. That way at least you're under the eyes of other sufferers.

Apols about the fast Photoshop and unoriginal name, but major flu atm so little capacity for creativity at present. :(

Corking idea. Holiday sale addiction focus group to the rescue. Although got the feeling the summer sale might get me back on the wagon. Might have to limit myself to buying no games made with a development team of more than 3 people or the director is also the cleaner and receptionist all rolled into one.

I'm wondering if there's a weird nether region of the gaming industry where we have developers who don't debug their games being forced by publishers who don't test their products to release to customers who never actually get around to playing them.

Hahaha yeah it would. Got the feeling I'm one of the guinea pigs. Can just picture it now, devs trawling through steam users libraries to see how many games they own and how long, if at all they have played them and saying "He'll do. 400 games owned and only 4 hours played".

Kadayi
03-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Corking idea. Holiday sale addiction focus group to the rescue. Although got the feeling the summer sale might get me back on the wagon. Might have to limit myself to buying no games made with a development team of more than 3 people or the director is also the cleaner and receptionist all rolled into one.

Well I think you have to set your own limits. Mines Christmas 2012. The key thing is obviously to mark it out. Whether it's a max number of titles, no AAAs, a certain monthly allowance, nothing but 'X game', etc, etc

I'd be doing this on my own anyway, but if people want to tag along in their own way then that's fine.

Under the group comments I've added an outline of my personal aims namely: -

My intention is to buy no more games (old or new) until the Steam Christmas sale 2012. New DLC for existing owned games (Skyrim/SR3/DX:HR) may be permissible.

SMiD
04-01-2012, 03:37 AM

Careful there. You dig too deep, you never know what you'll unearth. I would stay away from windows for a while if I were you. You never know when the snip

Moraven
04-01-2012, 08:05 AM
I had spreadsheet my games at one point with a nice column for games complete. Still rather barren.

Steam games are always there, but always hard to pass up on a bargain. Console/handheld I collect and still got lots unopened.

I play a game for 40 hours, then when i revisit it a year later, I tend to restart it due to being lost and no clue where I left off and what I have discovered already.
I play lots of multiplayer, hard to finish other games. LoL, WoW, SC2 and soon D3.

Currently working on:

3DS: Zelda, 1st playthrough
PSP: Fate/Extra, Monsters Deluxe
PS3: uhh nothing really
Xbox: Nothing
PC: Undecided. Maybe Orcs Must Die! and Serious Sam 3

I need to start a blog or something and try to focus on completing something. Maybe post a summary a couple times a week of what I did in the game.

Kelron
04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Here's my spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvOHYcz-7hHKdGFSNktFMG5HYTVEdTg4VjNmcWE1OUE).

Games marked in green are completed. First column is games I haven't given a chance. Second is games I've played but want to play more of (bear in mind that contains some permanent fixtures like EU3 and X3 that I've played for hundreds of hours). Third column is games I liked well enough but don't intend to play more of. Last column is games I don't intend to play, either because they don't look like something I'd enjoy or because I tried them and didn't like them.

Just Steam games for now, minus multiplayer titles. Probably got half as many again in boxes and through other services, although more of my boxed games have actually been played.

SMiD
04-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I've beaten a few smaller titles to get my confidence up: And Yet It Moves; Blocks That Matter; and Shadowgrounds. Currently about 1/2 way through Shadowgrounds: Survivor, and then it's on to something meatier. I'm thinking Mass Effect 1 & 2 should do nicely.

This backlog will get cleared, dammit!

Kadayi
04-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Good Job SmiD. This flu thing is killing me atm which means I'm not exactly in a game playing mood (major A.D.D going on), but when I've got all my faculties back I intend to get back into LA Noire which albeit is flawed I'm enjoying for the story line.

Smashbox
04-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Here's my spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvOHYcz-7hHKdGFSNktFMG5HYTVEdTg4VjNmcWE1OUE).

Dude, you're fucked. That's so much game. Those aren't little titles either!

Kadayi
05-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Dude, you're fucked. That's so much game. Those aren't little titles either!

I don't think the intention is to necessarily clear everyone but slice off a good few by the years end. Getting a lot of the smaller and part finished games out of the way is probably key really.

Moraven
14-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Finally beat XCOM, and all it took was 10 days. http://www.twitch.tv/suftv Recorded my game. Unfortunately I did not realize you had to Save Forever your broadcasts before 4 days, so first few videos are gone forever. :(

I only did one save load for the entire game.

Now why didn't I beat this years ago.

deano2099
14-01-2012, 06:23 PM
A few bottles of beer don't count, it's someone's birthday.

There's a huge difference between an alcoholic and someone who is just trying to drink less.

DigitalSignalX
14-01-2012, 09:30 PM
"NNGFAY" is the official acronym now for supporters?

... stuff about origin...

allanschnorr
14-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm in. No new games until the winter sale (Humble Bundles and DLC for Skyrim are the only exceptions).

TailSwallower
15-01-2012, 02:59 PM
"NNGFAY" is the official acronym now for supporters?

If anyone else wants to roll with it that's cool, but I was getting sick of typing out No New Games for a Year, so went with the acronym. It gets bonus points because at first glance it looks offensive.

Dexter
15-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Games marked in green are completed. First column is games I haven't given a chance. Second is games I've played but want to play more of (bear in mind that contains some permanent fixtures like EU3 and X3 that I've played for hundreds of hours). Third column is games I liked well enough but don't intend to play more of. Last column is games I don't intend to play, either because they don't look like something I'd enjoy or because I tried them and didn't like them.

Just Steam games for now, minus multiplayer titles. Probably got half as many again in boxes and through other services, although more of my boxed games have actually been played.

Time to impress with my amazing internetz knowledge.
There's this site where you input your SteamID and it parses through your library, tells you how much time of your life you've wasted on Steam, approximately how much you spent and sorts your games neatly in "played" and "unplayed".
http://wastedonsteam.com/

I have 132 "played" titles and 144 "unplayed" titles (e.g. games I've never started :P), even from the played category there's a lot that have below 1 hour game time though :P

It also says this:

"Has played 132/276 games.Owns 276 games for a total worth of $2894.45.
Overall account cost/hour for gametime is $2.77"

I'm comfortable with my Steam buying ways though :P

Gerbick
15-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Time to impress with my amazing internetz knowledge.
There's this site where you input your SteamID and it parses through your library, tells you how much time of your life you've wasted on Steam, approximately how much you spent and sorts your games neatly in "played" and "unplayed".
http://wastedonsteam.com/

Good stuff! Exactly the kind of list I wanted to see, but really couldn't be bothered to do myself.

Hmm it seems I only have 7 unplayed games, none of which were purchased individually. Of the 57 remaining played games, I can now see I need to play more of Amnesia, AI War, Witcher, Machinarium, Deus Ex, Vampire: TMB and Space Chem. That lot should keep me busy, and I can only start on them when I've stopped obsessing over Dredmor!

PeopleLikeFrank
15-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Neat, except it uses current price data from Steam instead of what you actually paid for the game (I didn't pay $0 for TF2, and half the games I own I got in packs), so the whole price thing is rendered meaningless. Not that it really could know, unless it let you input the prices yourself.

Fumarole
15-01-2012, 06:03 PM
That's pretty neat, except that time spent playing TF2 hasn't been tracked since its release.

I should clarify - the time spent has been tracked in the game stats but didn't start showing up in your account until Steam changed its interface (I think).

sabrage
15-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Your entire Steam purchase history is available to view on your Account page (top right in the client.) You'll need to do the addition yourself, obviously. I spent about 20% of my entire account's full retail value.

TailSwallower
15-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Terraria is my most played game, accounting for 13.21% of the total. Deus Ex: HR comes in second, but that's just a glitch. It reckons I played 28 hours of it, but I've probably only played 5 or 6 - I just had major fucking issues getting the game to run when it first came out and for some reason those issues tricked Steam into thinking I'd played a lot of it.

Weird that.

$1003.78, $4.47/hour, but as with everyone else, I bought lots of bundles and games on sale, so I'd be surprised if it was 25% of that total.

Otherwise yeah, really cool stats.

Kadayi
16-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Has played 88/246 games.

Owns 246 games for a total worth of $3260.80.

Overall account cost/hour for gametime is $2.11

Seems reasonable tbh. I really get my moneys worth out of the games I have played. It's unfortunate that quite a lot of my Steam account is made up of games I've steamified after the fact (like the GTAs for example). Which I'm probably unlikely to ever revisit again due to time constraints, so they're always going to sit there unplayed.

Ruralgeek
16-01-2012, 06:53 PM
This is a good idea, I have backlog of about 10 big AAA games I need to get around to finishing. Best of luck!

Kodeen
16-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Here's my excessively nerdy thing I've done to make sure I'm sticking to my $20/month budget. Visualization!

siegarettes
17-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I'll be joining you in your crusade! If you are interested, I've made a Steam group for it as well. Ya know, for moral support. And competition... Tis in my sig of course.

FunnyB
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Let's Necro!!! So, how did it go for everyone? Did anyone manage one year without new games?

Gerbick
02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I bought a game in November (Hotline Miami on a deal), and Humble 7 a week or so ago, so didn't quite make the full year. Did manage to get round to playing most of my backlog for a decent amount of time though. Even completed a few.

JimDigritz
02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm with you Nalano. I have 146 (since 2003ish) on Steam and maybe another 20 outside of Steam.

To me I feel constant guilt at the number of 'lightly' played titles... /burden off

sabrage
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I bought a lot of games in the first half of the year, but the only ones I've bought since late May were Hotline Miami and a single IndieRoyale bundle. I did cheat and grab buccaneer's demos for XCOM, Dishonored and Far Cry 3, but none managed to hold my interest enough to justify even the download time, much less the price.

Internet
02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Long story short, play whatever maximizes your entertainment. Don't waste time to waste time, there are creative activities you could be doing instead. Consumption has absolutely no inherent virtue unless you learn something from it or grow as a person.

I try to get three AAA games at most from last year, and the rest are indie bundles. My backlog keeps growing, but it's dishonest to call it a backlog. Normally I like two out of the five games in an indie bundle. That leaves three games that I dislike. It was still worth the bundle price for those two games. I won't force myself to play games I don't like, because what's the point of forcing yourself to do an activity you don't like and gives you no rewards in your free time?

Other games I'll buy knowing I'll play them eventually, but I only play them when the mood strikes. This is particularly true of RTS. I only play one a year, so a Total War and King Arthur sit on my drive. I don't regret getting them (I think KA was free), but I feel no pressure to play them. There are very few games I feel like I wasted money on. I did my research, but just didn't like them. That's Amnesia, Terraria, Depth's of Peril, and Eschalon. I'm sure they're good games, but I just don't like them. Also winter voices, which was a bad game I wanted to be good.

Nalano
03-01-2013, 01:12 AM
One word: Discipline. You have it, i want it.

The place to flack your shit is over ------------------------------> here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?21-For-The-Promotion-Of-PC-Game-Making-Projects-And-Things-Like-That).

RakeShark
03-01-2013, 04:55 AM
I'm not putting my lips on that.

tomeoftom
03-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Dark Storm

You're fucking joking. "Dark Storm?" Dude, while you still can, change the name. For the love of all that is good and holy change the name. Seriously. Go through your website's source, do a Find and Replace All for all mentions of "Dark Storm", and whitewash it out of existence. Also, your site features no information about the game.

Kelron
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I see someone dug this up again. It went pretty well. I did buy a couple of games, and thus failed the challenge and forfeited any chance of winning the grand prize. But I saved quite a lot of money, and didn't buy more games I'm not going to play. I never got anywhere with playing through my backlog, because it turned out to be really boring and wasn't the point of this for me. Most of the games I've played this year are games I've owned and played for a long time, but I'm having fun doing it. And that's what counts.

DaftPunk
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
You're fucking joking. "Dark Storm?" Dude, while you still can, change the name. For the love of all that is good and holy change the name. Seriously. Go through your website's source, do a Find and Replace All for all mentions of "Dark Storm", and whitewash it out of existence. Also, your site features no information about the game.

They don't have even one actual screenshot from game and its coming out in Q2013 ''??!?

SMiD
03-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I made it all the way through the year until Dark Souls. Uh... and Torchlight 2. So technically I failed NNGFAY, but I'm still pretty pleased with the results. I made it through a large chunk of my backlog and will look to make it the rest of the way in '13.

Also, Dark Storm? No.

jnx
03-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty decided on no-new-shootybangs this year. Unless they have some other interesting features and gameplay elements. Also atm I think I won't anyway play anything but Anno this year :D

c-Row
03-01-2013, 04:23 PM
With this year's Steam sale almost over my backlog has increased even more, so I too shall take part in the NNGFAY challenge. With the exception of backed Kickstarter projects I guess, since I already paid for them. Sorry, Far Cry 3, but you will have to wait until next Christmas.

Shooop
03-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Your best hope is to not read any RPS reviews or ever navigate to the Steam store page. If you get any email from GoG.com, delete it immediately.

Good luck.

ronkmonster
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm planning on doing this until the next Christmas sale. My backlog is over 500 games now. I have so much stuff that I couldn't spend the steam credit I got for Christmas.

c-Row
04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
What's the NNGFAY committee's opinion on shelving games because they are boring? I really can't bring myself to actually finish Rage.

Tikey
04-01-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm not part of the committee but if you don't enjoy it you shouldn't play it. This is a hobby not a job.

ReV VAdAUL
04-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm going to do this this year, it is terrible I have so many great games I haven't played yet keep buying more.

Also Tikey is right, the goal should be to play good games you own, not to force yourself through every crappy game you had the misfortune to purchase or get in a bundle.

Kelron
04-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I hardly ever finish games, even ones I like. It doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as not even trying games I bought does.

trjp
04-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I hardly ever finish games, even ones I like. It doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as not even trying games I bought does.

That's me too - I reckon I've "completed" (as in done the whole single player story, at least) about 40-50 of the 400-odd games I own - I've probably binned about the same number for various reasons and the rest are either "I might go back to it" or "I didn't really like it but you never know - time passes".

I actually ran through my collection (spreadsheet) over Xmas and tidied it up - of 423 games there are 80-odd I've not touched (75% being bundle games I'm not really keen on) and about 80 I've played but not really gotten my 'money's worth' out of yet

160-odd games sounds a lot but I just don't buy games to 'complete' them - I like to see how they work, I use them to kill time/amuse myself as-and-when.

I don't get this religious observance people seem to have about 'finishing' stuff...