PDA

View Full Version : 2 Players, same PC, recommendations?

GibletHead2000
25-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi,

Any recommendations for 2-player games that can be played on the same PC? Ideally co-op... My kids have chewed through all the Lego games and are looking for something new.

Cheers!

Vexing Vision
25-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Try out Trine, though control-scheme for the second player requires a pad and is a bit wonky sometimes.

DaftPunk
25-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Lara Croft is good for some time,but then it gets quite repetitive at the end. There's also Obscure games,both have local coop,same for Kane and Lynch 1,which is quite good game.

Olero
25-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure what age your kids are, so some of these may be too violent:

- Worms games
- Heroes of Might & magic games
- Renegade Ops

CMaster
25-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is very good, although it may be a touch too frustrating for kid-taste.

Drake Sigar
25-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Any turn-based game (as kids me and my brother were like "you control the tanks, I'll control the soldiers"), although many turn-based games have a hotseat mode for a proper bonafide two player experience. Blood Bowl, Incubation, Battlechess (there's a new chess combat game coming out, right?), and the Worms series for example. I don't know of many real-time ones apart from Magicka.

You could always grab some emulators and let em try Chaos Engine or Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.

Edawan
25-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I've not tested it but I think Trackmania 2 has a split-screen mode. I'll check when I get back home.

GibletHead2000
25-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far! They're 10 and 12, so nothing excessively violent. Liking the ideas of Lara Croft, Trackmania and Trine so far. They tend to play with gamepads, so that requirement isn't a problem.

pkt-zer0
25-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Bionic Commando: Rearmed is primarily single-player, but also works awesomely in co-op.
You might want to try and get the censored version, if the slow-mo supergore of that one ending scene bothers you, though.

Joseph
25-11-2011, 03:23 PM
When I was a younger it was all about hot seating worms with my brothers. So many great memories :D

I fully recommend it.

DaftPunk
25-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Am otherwise you can download N64/Ps1 emulators and play allot of games with your brother,there are more kid friendly games out there for those two.

Theblazeuk
25-11-2011, 04:05 PM
You can fiddle with the console and the config files on Left for Dead to set up a split screen co-op game if you have a game pad - works on both L4D1 and 2. Highly recommend!

http://pcformat.techradar.com/community/dave-james/quickfix-split-screen-left-4-dead-2-30-04-10

Should get you started.

coldvvvave
25-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Homm 3?

It's timeless classic.

ComradePenguin
25-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Rock of Ages works though required a gamepad for both players last time I checked. This is also a great way to introduce them to history and possibly Monty Python. I had endless fun looking up the historical figures featured in it.

The JG Man
25-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Another vote for Guardian of Light. Nice, simple game with well grounded mechanics.

I'll also say Renegade Ops. It's...a parody of clichés. I think there's a few 'bastards' thrown around, but it's all fairly light-hearted.

There's also Audiosurf, which can be done with WASD and arrows, as well as controllers. One of the modes is a co-op mode, then let them pick some music to go to.

Basilicus
25-11-2011, 05:45 PM
A Friendship in 4 Colours

It's a gem hiding out in the free Indie Pirate Kart:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/19/this-is-indie-the-300-game-pirate-kart/

(Not actually pirated games, which is good since I refuse to partake in those, but rather games created as part of a 48-hour challenge, then bundled and released for free.)

A Friendship in 4 Colours is basically a 2-person platformer, but each progressive level earns a weapon for one or the other. Now, there are no enemies - rather, the level design means the two players have to work together so as not to accidentally destroy one or the other, which is remarkably easy as you earn more weapons. Both players need to finish a level to pass it.

It can also be played one-player, which requires a great degree of coordination. I have no clue how long it is (my guess is probably not very) because it gets dicey pretty quickly, but the concept is fantastic, it's more fun than frustrating, and it's free...along with approximately 299 other games.

It's under the Damian Sommer folder if you download the Pirate Kart, though you might want to police some of the other games in the Kart and just put the ones you've checked out for the kids to play - most are perfectly safe, many are bad, a few like this one or Dog on Computer's "Blind" are wonderful discoveries, but for that age range, there are a small handful that may be too sophomoric in their humor.

Fumarole
25-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Try Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor for some co-op fun. One person can use the keyboard/mouse and another use a gamepad. That's what a friend and I did with me playing on the couch with video output to the TV and him at his desk.

I just saw your age restriction, you may want to ignore this then as it is pretty much all shooting aliens in the face.

b0rsuk
25-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Spelunky.

Yes, it's a single-player game. Yes, it's hard. But it's very fun to watch, and difficulty makes it exciting. Also, one player is unlikely to hog the keyboard for long. If you play it right, your kids will start to compete with each other (who gets higher score/completes more levels before death). Levels are randomly generated.

Edawan
25-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I've checked, Trackmania 2 does support up to 4 players in split-screen.

I've also checked TM1 ; no split-screen there.

pakoito
25-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Dungeon Defenders, Blur, STREET FIGHTER or anything in Wii/PS2/CPS2 emulator. Also Streets of Rage remake. The old Magic The Gathering: Battlegrounds was fun in 2p. Magicka...

or Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.You don't play emus that much if you recommend ToD instead of D&D2:Shadow over Mystara, which is ten times longer, varied and better and people still plays it online.

Grizzly
25-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I've checked, Trackmania 2 does support up to 4 players in split-screen.

I've also checked TM1 ; no split-screen there.

Unfortunately, the track editor does not feature split screen :P.

But Trackmania 2 is a very, very safe bet. Just the free "Nations" game (which does not have splitscreen) soaked up hundreds of hours because of it's track editor. Everyone can make tracks, so there are a awfull lot of tracks out there. This aspect will probably appeal to your kids a lot (as it does for everyone!). Also, everyone likes racing games.

EDIT: There is also a game called "Tom and Jerry's Fists of Fury" which is simply a 'beat the crap out of each other Tom and Jerry style' game, which is made for playing against each other, but it might object with the upbringing you are planning to give the kids.

EDIT2 (yes, I am on a roll :P): The very old Lego Racer games also feature splitscreen. As does, I think, any race game that is reasonably old. Think on the lines of Need for Speed III and such. Colin Mcrea 2.0.

EDIT3: Quite sure the Fifa games also allow multiple players (although the last one I played was '99). Like racing, a lot of people apreacite the blend of tactics and skill Football games offer. No doubt your kids will too.

archonsod
26-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Delve Deeper. It's turn based, funny and plays a little like a board game.

The Tupper
26-11-2011, 03:39 AM
This is, admittedly, throwing it WAY out there, but if your kids are into Star Wars (and you can pick up a copy from somewhere) I'd recommend the ancient X-Wing or TIE Fighter titles.

While not at first an obvious co-op choice, when X-Wing came out I taught my then five year-old niece how to move the ship in three dimensions while I worked the 'Artoo' position, balancing shields/lasers/engines. After a while we were able to switch over.

She's now training to be an airline pilot, which I take all credit for, naturally.

Drake Sigar
26-11-2011, 10:35 AM
You don't play emus that much if you recommend ToD instead of D&D2:Shadow over Mystara, which is ten times longer, varied and better and people still plays it online.
I couldn't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

GibletHead2000
27-11-2011, 08:41 PM
This is, admittedly, throwing it WAY out there, but if your kids are into Star Wars (and you can pick up a copy from somewhere) I'd recommend the ancient X-Wing or TIE Fighter titles.

While not at first an obvious co-op choice, when X-Wing came out I taught my then five year-old niece how to move the ship in three dimensions while I worked the 'Artoo' position, balancing shields/lasers/engines. After a while we were able to switch over.

She's now training to be an airline pilot, which I take all credit for, naturally.

Love this. I very fondly remember doing something similar with Frontier, where we'd take it in shifts to be Pilot / Navigator. We'd role-play it a lot, and we had the printed map so one of us would fly whilst the other would sit with the map on the table plotting a course to Fomalhaut to sell slaves.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!

Net_Bastard
28-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Rock of Ages has a good splitscreen mode.

The Tupper
28-11-2011, 11:12 AM
we had the printed map so one of us would fly whilst the other would sit with the map on the table plotting a course to Fomalhaut to sell slaves

Ha! Don't let Keith Vase or Barminess Greenback read that.