PDA

View Full Version : Video Game and IQ

squirrel
27-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Finally got myself into LA Noire yesterday. Wah, cool~ I always want to be a cop, a good cop. This game, getting you into world of crime investigation. Only problem is no Chinese language support. I chose English English (Dont really know what it means by having American English and English English, but anyway), really difficult to understand each dialogue, but this game really rocks.

The only thing I wonder is, how you pass the first mission / case, the first part of tutorial? I mean, how you figure out that in the weapon store you need to read the pistol serial number to locate the killer? I shopkeeper didnt mention about serial number (or if he did, I missed it. There is subtitles but you know, I prefer to enjoy full-screen without disturbance). I cannot tell why, but the column "Serial Number" immediately caught my eyesight. I took out the notebook for clues found, read the serial number, then matched it with the one in the customer log book. Bingo, said thanks to the shopkeeper then moved out to the suspect's address.

Is video game demanding that players have at least certain level of IQ so that one can beat the game?

Nalano
27-11-2011, 03:04 AM
IQ is the wrong term.

(But then, IQ is almost always the wrong term.)

Knowledge of cultural cues helps. Certain things don't... translate.

agentorange
27-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Watching a lot of Law & Order, more like.

soldant
27-11-2011, 04:07 AM
The idea is that if it's a legitimately purchased weapon, the shop it was purchased from would have had the serial number from the weapon as well as the person who purchased it as a record in case police come knocking. Weapons are supposed to have serial numbers so that they can be tracked. I can't remember the first case very well but if I recall it was an uncommon or custom weapon which would have made it a lot easier to track down.

Of course in the real world you're probably going to get shot by an unregistered firearm and would have to go through a long process of elimination, ballistics testing, walking around talking to people, and probably just giving up, but don't let that get in the way of a good story!

DigitalSignalX
27-11-2011, 04:24 AM
You might try unpacking all the subtitle files into plain text and then running them through an online translator service or a document conversion application. Not sure if it will turn into the Mandarin version of illegible "Engrish" or if your own translating skills would be superior.

That aside, the game has a lot of slang and language not in use today, so it might be especially challenging to localize.