PDA

View Full Version : Power supplies...EZ Cool?

Theblazeuk
27-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Well I need to get a new power supply after belatedly realising the one in my machine is only barely keeping things running without exploding. I've looked over the threads and there are some recommendations that I'm going to keep in mind - but I need help with one thing in particular.

Why are EZ Cool psu's so cheap!?!

I'm looking at one on Overclockers (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-200-CM&tool=5) for about 70

But then I saw this one! (http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ufn&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=Ezcool+700W+Infinity&gs_upl=3593l3900l0l4084l2l2l0l0l0l0l136l136l0.1l1l 0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1252&bih=559&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8663492997054697602&sa=X&ei=37DSTqudNsmE8gPTkJm-Dw&ved=0CFIQ8wIwAg)

I can buy it physically, get it straight away and it's only 40. What's the drawback? Are there any reasons why I should go for the more expensive one?

Althea
27-11-2011, 11:17 PM
If it looks too good to be true, it is.

The PSU is the single most important part of the PC in terms of needing high quality stuff. If a cheapy brand goes pop, it could take everything with it.

You want Antec, CoolerMaster, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, and I think there's one or two other decent brands. You do NOT want something like an "EZ Cool".

Kamikaze-X
27-11-2011, 11:25 PM
because theyre utter crap, made out of sub-par parts.

a good, reputable power supply manufacturer, like Corsair, Enermax, Coolermaster, Antec test and rate their PSUs to stringent quality levels, and the output they rate at are the 'sweet spot' for power output. For example, I have an 850W Coolermaster, but if it really needs to it can take up to 1KW.

The EZ Cool kind of crap is rated in such a way that the parts shoved inside the casing by some poorly paid (well, even more poorly paid than the manufacturers mentioned) drone in Taiwan makes sure that the cheapest components possible just about work at the rated power for the shortest lenght of time, in the least efficient manner possible.

It will work, but in a week/month/year you could be faved with replacing some or all of your components because of a shorting, crap PSU.

*breathe*

Alex Bakke
27-11-2011, 11:29 PM
PSU Mantra - "Buy cheap, pay twice!"

You should always go for the best possible brand.

duff
28-11-2011, 12:55 AM
When buying a PSU you need to look at the total amps the unit can deliver over the 12v rail(s). Power supplied over smaller rails is of little use to your rig. Cheap PSU manufacturers bump up the total wattage of the unit by cheaply providing amps over the small rails. For example, the EZ Cool Psu you linked above has two 12v rails providing 20amps each, with 36 amps coming on the 3.3v rail and 40 amps on the 5v rail. Essentially it's cheap crap and won't reliably supply anything close to 1000 watts. The best thing to do is find the required 12v ampage your graphics card requires and get something with a 20% oversupply.

Lukasz
28-11-2011, 02:41 AM
PSU Mantra - "Buy cheap, pay twice!"

You should always go for the best possible brand.
what he said. Unrav and kamikaze provided you with good brands.

even their cheaper stuff is good quality.

60 pounds from good brand would be a min. spend if you plan to have 560 or 6870 (or better) with quad core. anything priced lower than this unless it is a promotion... stay away.

Theblazeuk
28-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys, will go with the more expensive Cooler Master option! Got lost in the technical info when browsing the web (my hardware knowledge comes from Dear Wandy and PSU's weren't as interesting as the graphics cards...)

Memph
28-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm curious as to your specs. Which Coolermaster did you plump for by the way? Be aware that even with the better brands there are cheaper models and ranges that may not quite be up to scratch for heavy gaming. Definitely an issue if you plan to upgrade a GPU in the future.
I recently ordered a Coolermaster Elite only to find it was rated by many techy-types as 'a bit crap' before switching for a Corsair.
But brand alone does not necessarily account for quality. Here's a list of PSU brands/ranges tiered by quality that I came across...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?108088-Official-XS-Power-Supply-Ranking-Phase-I

My research also led me to discover PSUs with an 80+(bronze/silver/etc.. any are fine) will generally be drawing less wasted power and chuffing it out as heat.

I'd also suggest reading a few of the articles in the PSU section of Tom's Hardware. Even skimping over the really techy stuff, you'll get a much better idea of what you want and why you want it.

Theblazeuk
29-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I've not purchased yet - it's a christmas present but since I'm the most techy person in the family, I need to tell them what to buy.

Was going to be the Cooler MAster GX 650w; will have a look at Tom's hardware to see if anything changes my mind but still think it looks best. The thread you linked to is a bit outdated I think (2006) so bit worried about relying on it too much.

Will post my rig after work - again thanks for the advice

thegooseking
29-11-2011, 06:42 PM
The thread you linked to is a bit outdated I think (2006) so bit worried about relying on it too much.

It was started in 2006, but it was updated in March this year. Even the "old list" in the second post was updated in 2008.

Theblazeuk
30-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks, I will take a look again.

Ok my machine is:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
2gb ram
Fairly crappy maxtor 120gb drive (next on the upgrade list...)
ASUSTeK P5GC-MX 200mhz motherboard

Kamikaze-X
30-11-2011, 11:15 PM
you really don't need much more than about 500W in all honesty.

go for this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-psu-corsair-enthusiast-series-9020001-modular-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet

Theblazeuk
23-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Just to say thanks for all the help guys, got this installed a couple of weeks ago and I am amazed to note that it has made a big difference to the performance in comparison to my previous woefully underpowered PSU. Plus now the cables are all neatly bound in some kind of fabric, as opposed to the horrible mess of my non-gaming PSU

Memph
24-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Good to hear mate. Grats on the upgrade

DigitalSignalX
24-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Pretty much anything, single rail, 500w+ will be a decent product. Sort of like a titanium tire rim. No one makes a shoddy one by the nature of the minimum spec.