PDA

View Full Version : Odd & Interesting Things You've Found in Skyrim (SPOILERS)

Drinking with Skeletons
28-11-2011, 07:04 PM
After some sleuthing on my part, I have learned something about a character in Skyrim that I haven't found referenced anywhere else, within the game and without. This made me realize that there are probably tons of other cool little things that I might have overlooked, from interesting locales to quirky people. Let's share what we've found.

Obviously, SPOILERS abound, but let's at least label them as General, Quest-Related, College of Winterhold, Companions, Thieves' Guild, and/or Dark Brotherhood so that each reader can exercise some degree of control over their exposure.

General: Sybille Stentor, Solitude's court wizard, is a vampire. I've found no indication that this is ever directly referenced by the game, but based on some incidental conversation and through the use of Detect Life/Dead, I'm confident in my diagnosis.

What have YOU found?

Hensler
28-11-2011, 07:47 PM
General: Was traveling on foot in the Southern region of Skyrim when I heard the sounds of distant battle. I investigated and came across all the Companions beating the crap out of two dragons. I'd been under the impression that the Companions never actually left their hall in Winterhold, and they were just the sorts of NPCs that everybody talks about being awesome without them doing anything in the game. It was cool seeing them live up to their reputation and be out adventuring. Unfortunately, even though I joined in the battle and delivered the killing arrow to one of the dragons, I didn't get to absorb either of their souls. Still a fun event.

PeopleLikeFrank
28-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I'd been under the impression that the Companions never actually left their hall in Winterhold, and they were just the sorts of NPCs that everybody talks about being awesome without them doing anything in the game.

When I first approached Whiterun right at the beginning of the game, there was a group of the Companions fighting a Giant by a farm. I joined in and it died pretty quickly. I assumed this was a scripted event to introduce the player to the Companions?

Hensler
28-11-2011, 08:11 PM
When I first approached Whiterun right at the beginning of the game, there was a group of the Companions fighting a Giant by a farm. I joined in and it died pretty quickly. I assumed this was a scripted event to introduce the player to the Companions?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that event. I've put A LOT of hours into Skyrim since then. But I'm pretty sure that was scripted, and the dragon battle I came across was random.

Drinking with Skeletons
29-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Yes, that one's scripted, but they do wander around and have adventures on their own. Not sure if they can die.

Similarly, you can find Vigilants of Stendaar roaming around, and I've found them fighting vampires before. My money's on a DLC that makes them a joinable faction.

Berzee
29-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Speaking of The Companions, when I went on the rescue-a-Gray-Mane quest, I had to run away from a snow bear near the Thalmor base...and it was actually catching me and probably going to eat me, when Farkas and co. come charging out of this random cave campsite and destroy the thing.

What were they doing all the way up there by Solitude? Upon inquiry, all they would tell me is, "We fight so that other people don't have to."

Ian
29-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I've never seen the Companions out and about other than the scripted bit.

Which for all that it clearly was set-up for the player to find, when I first saw it and joined in I was finding it pretty awesome.

General: Can't remember where it is for the life of me other than next to some river, but I found a little house (I say house, one of those open shacks you don't need to go "inside" to enter) where the occupant is clearly meant to have been eaten by an animal. Partly because when you go in there're bones and blood all over the place, and partly because when I walked in I was attacked by a motherfucking bear. This was back in the days when if I bear swiped my face I couldn't give it a wry chuckle and slash it to death. Had to swim back across the river and pelt it from a distance. :D

Also, when first heading down to Riverwood I stopped and thieved some alchemy ingredients from an old biddy's house. Then the next day when I'm leaving the inn in Riverwood three goons attack me. When I've killed them I loot a note from one of them called "Contract". Turns out the old cow had hired them to do a number on me for stealing her fucking herbs! The wording of the note was that I needn't die, but the thugs didn't seem to much fancy that options. Dunno if this is the usual means of vengeance if you steal from somewhere that guards don't go or if she's a special case. Next time I was going past I was going to give her a going over, but it was about 3am and there she was... just sitting outside her house in a chair, looking creepy as hell. Decided I didn't want to mix it with her in case she turns out to be a proper psychopath.

Thieves Guild/General: After completion of the thieves guild I was (for the first time in all my wanderings) approached by a random thief, a Khajit, who wanted me to hand over some/all of my money. I initially told him to get bent but that didn't intimidate him so I was able to say I was one of the Nightingales, at which point he apologised and scarpered.

Smashbox
29-11-2011, 04:20 PM
General:

Also, when first heading down to Riverwood I stopped and thieved some alchemy ingredients from an old biddy's house. Then the next day when I'm leaving the inn in Riverwood three goons attack me. When I've killed them I loot a note from one of them called "Contract". Turns out the old cow had hired them to do a number on me for stealing her fucking herbs! The wording of the note was that I needn't die, but the thugs didn't seem to much fancy that options. Dunno if this is the usual means of vengeance if you steal from somewhere that guards don't go or if she's a special case. Next time I was going past I was going to give her a going over, but it was about 3am and there she was... just sitting outside her house in a chair, looking creepy as hell. Decided I didn't want to mix it with her in case she turns out to be a proper psychopath.

Same thing happened to me, only I stole from the potion shoppe in Windhelm. I was attacked in Riverwood and those guys were Very Hard for some reason. Faendal jumped to my aid and was mercilessly cut down. When I returned to him, the shopkeeper didn't mention it. As soon as I complete his quest, he may die mysteriously in his sleep.

Theblazeuk
29-11-2011, 04:54 PM
The court wizard from Whiterun sent hired thugs after me. His attitude makes it easy to pretend its all in character, especially given how much everyone else likes you.

I looked around at all the guards surrounding us and decided his time was not nigh - but it may come soon...

Drake Sigar
29-11-2011, 04:59 PM
That's the great thing about NPC schedules, you know they have to sleep sometime.

Edit: Except the innkeepers who are androids.

Drinking with Skeletons
29-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I really like the psychic NPCs who don't witness thefts but know exactly who did it and whose hired goons know exactly where you'll be.

General/College of Winterhold, maybe, I can't really remember: South-ish of Riften is a burned down house. Inside you'll find what's left of some sap who tried to summon a Flame Atronach. I think there might be an Atronach Forge recipe in there, too.

General: Also South-ish of Riften is a small cave in which there are a bunch of pissed off animals and empty cages. You'll find a dead mage with a Calm-enchanted staff that, apparently, didn't work too well.

General/Bard's College, I think: This might not always be pointed at for a Bard's College quest, but it was for two different characters of mine. Anyway, there's a cave in Winterhold called Hob's Fall Cave. Inside are necromancers. In one room, they use their unholy magicks to raise into nightmarish unlife a terrifying goat! Don't forget to harvest its immeasurably valuable, exceedingly rare hide should you somehow survive its wrath!

Smashbox
29-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I really like the psychic NPCs who don't witness thefts but know exactly who did it and whose hired goons know exactly where you'll be.

I felt like it made sense for me, as he watched me go upstairs in his house and then probably noticed his prized iforgetwhatitook was missing. And when I was ambushed, I had been sleeping at the inn for a while, so the goons probably tracked me and skulked around until I woke and came outside.

Drinking with Skeletons
29-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I felt like it made sense for me, as he watched me go upstairs in his house and then probably noticed his prized iforgetwhatitook was missing. And when I was ambushed, I had been sleeping at the inn for a while, so the goons probably tracked me and skulked around until I woke and came outside.

I might forgive them if a mod is released that has Homer Simpson saying "Hired goons?" when said goons appear.

Smashbox
29-11-2011, 05:30 PM
"Who's there?"

"Hiahd goons."

Hensler
30-11-2011, 01:44 AM
I had hired thugs sent after me for murdering one of the dark elves in Windhold by his sister, but never for stealing.

JackShandy
30-11-2011, 05:59 AM
General: Can't remember where it is for the life of me other than next to some river, but I found a little house (I say house, one of those open shacks you don't need to go "inside" to enter) where the occupant is clearly meant to have been eaten by an animal. Partly because when you go in there're bones and blood all over the place, and partly because when I walked in I was attacked by a motherfucking bear. This was back in the days when if I bear swiped my face I couldn't give it a wry chuckle and slash it to death. Had to swim back across the river and pelt it from a distance. :D

I found a shack like that near a Woodmill, but there was no bear in it - just a bunch of blood and skeleton bits everywhere, with a human heart on a shelf. The old lady at the mill just a few meters away had nothing to say about it. No idea what was going on there.

Edit: Also, I never saw the bit with the giant and the companions everyone's talking about. Must've walked right by.

Ian
30-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Oh... well either it was a different one or there was a bear there by chance to add a little something to my experience of it. :D

Vexing Vision
30-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I recently stumbled on the Lighthouse between Dawnstar and Winterhold. It contained a locational quest that was the most chilling one I've seen yet.

Very nicely done, very detailed and I had never found it if I hadn't been in the area and in wild exploration mood.

This is what I love about Skyrim the most - exploration feels SO rewarding!

Ravelle
30-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes, that one's scripted, but they do wander around and have adventures on their own. Not sure if they can die.

Similarly, you can find Vigilants of Stendaar roaming around, and I've found them fighting vampires before. My money's on a DLC that makes them a joinable faction.

What's funny is though, when you arrive after they killed it they accuse you of being no help at all and when you help them killing it they compliment you for standing your ground. :P

gundrea
30-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I recently stumbled on the Lighthouse between Dawnstar and Winterhold. It contained a locational quest that was the most chilling one I've seen yet.

Very nicely done, very detailed and I had never found it if I hadn't been in the area and in wild exploration mood.

There's also a perk to be gained if you fulfill the keeper's wishes.

db1331
30-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Thieves Guild: I was doing a little sneaking through a Dwemer Museum, and on a shelf in the side of one of the rooms, I noticed a familiar object. It was the Dwemer puzzle cube you had to retrieve for one of the early Morrowind quests. It wasn't set on a fancy pedestal all lit up, it was just sitting inconspicuously on a shelf. If you didn't know what it was, you would probably just pass it by, especially since it's value was listed as 0 if you bothered to check. I thought it was a cool little reference, so I wanted to take it just to stick it in my house somewhere. I picked it up, and it started a quest to see if my guy back at the Thieves Guild would be interested in buying it. I sold it to him for a nice sum, and now I can see it on display at the guild, resting alongside several other items I "obtained" in my travels.

Wulf
30-11-2011, 08:40 PM
General: Was traveling on foot in the Southern region of Skyrim when I heard the sounds of distant battle. I investigated and came across all the Companions beating the crap out of two dragons. I'd been under the impression that the Companions never actually left their hall in Winterhold, and they were just the sorts of NPCs that everybody talks about being awesome without them doing anything in the game. It was cool seeing them live up to their reputation and be out adventuring. Unfortunately, even though I joined in the battle and delivered the killing arrow to one of the dragons, I didn't get to absorb either of their souls. Still a fun event.

I saw Vilkas out with Ria at one point, training her on the use of one-handed weapons. There was a surprising amount of dialogue surrounding this. I was intrigued, so I decided to follow them around a bit to see what they'd do. At one point they decided to take on a troll, which Vilkas surprisingly dispatched with relative ease. And then they just continued walking and chatting as if this wasn't a big deal. Yep, there's no small amount of awesome surrounding the Companions.

Hence why I wish they'd done more with them.

---

Oh, and speaking of the Vigilants, I found their lodge as well. It's a shame that they pretty much fall into the same narrow-sighted hatefulness that the Blades and the Silver Hand do, too. They're more obsessed with getting a kill than they are with doing any right in the world.

My Skyrim is now sans Silver Hand, sans Blades, and sans Vigilant people. It is a better place.

Serenegoose
30-11-2011, 08:46 PM
My Skyrim is now sans Silver Hand, sans Blades, and sans Vigilant people. It is a better place.

Good calls all round.

Wulf
30-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Good calls all round.

Yeah.

I mean, Oblivion and Morrowind have gone out of their way to make a point about not all vampires being inherently evil, and Skyrim goes ahead with making the point that not all werewolves are, either. Even Sinding wasn't a bad guy, he was just screwed over by Hircine.

If any of those three orders had held the attitude "Well, we watch for the criminal ones and we go after those, but we uphold a code of honour of leaving the peaceful/honourable ones be." then... you know? Fine. I can dig that. But every one of them was all "THESE ARE MONSTROSITIES THAT MUST ALL BE PURGED!" and the zealousness pouring off them was almost too much to bear. Each group just wanted an excuse to kill things.

Even Delphine is all "Oh, well... I don't care that Paarthurnax has a philosophy of peace and has been peaceful for so many lifetimes that it makes my sole lifetime insignificant. I don't care that he has good reasons for being peaceful, now. I don't care that he wants to teach other dragons the ways of peace, and create bridges between us mortals and dragonkind. I don't care about any of that. You should just kill him anyway. Because he's a dragon, and dragons are bad, dragons must die. ALL DRAGONS MUST DIE." and... well... yeah. That just told me that she was a psychopath.

So really, Skyrim is just better off without those three groups. Sure, there are bad instances of vampires and werewolves, but there are bad instances of everyone, all sorts of bandits I've encountered. I'll just deal with the bad ones when I have to, as will the rest of Skyrim. Skyrim's honour is tainted by these 'orders.'

(Not to mention that Sanguine's quest was out and out the funniest quest in Skyrim, bar none. It was great. Hell, it might have been one of my favourite quests overall. So I'll be a daedra-botherer too if I want to be, since Sanguine isn't really all that bad. He's just a drunk pervert.)

gundrea
01-12-2011, 12:17 AM

That's uh, great. I mean it's great that your reaction to a group that wants to erase another group from the world is to erase them from the world. Clearly your character does not believe in moral relativity.

Drinking with Skeletons
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I saw Vilkas out with Ria at one point, training her on the use of one-handed weapons. There was a surprising amount of dialogue surrounding this. I was intrigued, so I decided to follow them around a bit to see what they'd do. At one point they decided to take on a troll, which Vilkas surprisingly dispatched with relative ease. And then they just continued walking and chatting as if this wasn't a big deal. Yep, there's no small amount of awesome surrounding the Companions.

Hence why I wish they'd done more with them.

---

I had Vilkas as a follower and was walking around in the Bards' College. He interrupted the lecture to offer his services as a "strong man," to which the female instructor and a student just completely shot him down. He dejectedly stated that the women were "harpies." Why he was flirting with these women with his husband in the room is beyond me, but it was a great touch.

Do any of the other followers have unique dialogue like this anywhere? Because it would make bringing them along far more worthwhile.

Wulf
01-12-2011, 01:36 AM
That's uh, great. I mean it's great that your reaction to a group that wants to erase another group from the world is to erase them from the world. Clearly your character does not believe in moral relativity.

Considering that I'm a werewolf and they wanted to wipe out my new friends and I, I'd say it's more self-defence. Though, of course, that possibility evaded your mighty intellect in the vie to make a sarcastic remark. :P Sheesh.

See, I'm an honourable sort, but I'm also a werewolf. This counts for the Companions as well, whom are also honourable werewolves. And then there's Paarthurnax whom is completely peaceful, and he's a dragon. I don't want to die, I don't want the Companions to die, and I don't want Paarth to bite the bullet, either. However, unless I'd taken care of these people head-on, it would have meant the death of myself and others like me.

These are people you can't reason with, and it wasn't for a lack of trying. They were out for blood and their next kill, and I was on the menu. What would you have had me do?

Though considering you probably all ready know this, I'm going to think that that was bait and you're just trolling, since that really was a genuinely insulting way to approach what I'd said. But given my response here, your trolling is worthless, since I had very good reasons for doing what I did. As I often do. When it comes to things like this, foresight isn't something I'm short on.

Next time you may want to enquire as to a person's motivations before making nasty assumptions about them that make you look like a terrible person.

---

Really, a psychopath tells me to murder someone I like in cold blood, knowing they won't fight back, and implies that they're going to do it anyway if I don't. Bringing a person like that to justice is lacking a sense of moral relativity? I bet you're feeling bright right now, since I even said that in the post you quarter-quoted.

---

I mean, there's even an instance with the Silver Hand where you discover that the bosses of one of their chapters is there purely because he likes skinning things. He puts up a front about werewolves being evil creatures, and him being righteous, but really... he just wants to skin them. And his place is a mess of blood, innards, and skins. They make it very clear that the groups I'm talking about aren't redeemable.

You should really think about what you're going to say in regards to something if you have no knowledge about the subject at hand.

Sorry, just had to rub this in a bit more.

If you're going to attack someone, know what you're talking about.

Hensler
01-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Dark Brotherhood headquarters: Apparently the spider I just killed was some sort of pet. The Brotherhood is NOT happy about that. I see giant spider, my bow just comes out.

Berzee
01-12-2011, 02:27 AM
I think gundrea has a fairly valid point, actually. =)

Edit: I can elaborate now that the eggnog is done cooking: if this wasn't Skyrim, your approach (Mr. Wulf) might have been bombastically violent. But in Skyrim there are not many other options. Of course in Skyrim nothing actually happens, so leaving them alone would be the easiest way to keep the in-game body count at a zero, unless there's radiant events I don't know about. =P But no, I don't think he was TROLLING LAWL, because I was thinking something similar...unless I was TROLLING LAWL in my OWN HEAD!!!!

Anthile
01-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Dark Brotherhood headquarters: Apparently the spider I just killed was some sort of pet. The Brotherhood is NOT happy about that. I see giant spider, my bow just comes out.

It also seems to have ten legs.

Ian
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Totally gonna have to keep an eye out for that lighthouse. :)

gundrea
01-12-2011, 09:46 AM
For once Wulf I'm not sarcastic. Berzee summed up the problem. By responding in kind to the groups that wanted to wipe out your character he has descended to their level of morality. By your posting it seems that this is not just the opinion of your character but also yourself Wulf which troubles me.

An eye for an eye as a philosophy of justice has questionable acceptablity in Skyrim. Skyrim's ethical sensibilities seem far in advance of our own world's medieval values. This is because a)Skyrim's only using the real world as an aesthetic not a model b)Accurate medieval values would be downright horrifying to a modern audience.

However! This is all off-topic. If you would like to educate me as to the correctness of your position then send me a PM.

Last night I had an oddly peaceful moment. I came across a bandit and a giant, sitting opposite ends of one of those huge fires the giants have. I crouched and creeped for a while before slipping out of the shadows and deigning to join them. Together we shared a quiet moment of reflection, bathed in the warmth of the flames and the night aurora.

Of course afterward I found out the bandit was dead.

Ian
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
So am I the only one who apparently didn't even realise a choice came up during the very first quest as to who to follow out of Helgen? I, apparently, ended up following the Imperial man but I don't remember there being two people vying for my attention. :( I just saw OH SHIT A DRAGON'S GOING TO KILL me and followed the first person I noticed beckoning me to safety.

EDIT: Meant to add that I wasn't sure which Skyrim thread this would fit better in, but I edged it here even though it's not quite what the thread's about.

To add something on-topic, at the shrine of Azura after completing the quest for the Star, I did noticed that the woman at the shrine's horse seemed to be dead. What was odd was that it was dead in such a way that it was stacked up, rump to the ground, against the pile of crates as if placed there on purpose to keep it out of the way. :D

I also saw two dragons in the sky at the same time up there. One a random one that was coming to try and beat me up and one from a bounty, I think.

Harlander
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I was quite amused by how shirty the Vigilant get with you.

"The mercy of Stendarr does not extend to Daedra worshippers!"

Are they like that with everyone, or was it just because I had Dawnbreaker on my back and Azura's Star in my pocket?

Berzee
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Oops, I was going to say more gundrea but you have reminded me that it is off-topic. =) So I will sum up by saying: at least Wulf killed groups that share a certain philosophy instead of groups that share a certain disease. ^__^

For an odd or interesting thing, I assume everyone knows by now what happens if you drop food in the tavern in Riften?

Of course afterward I found out the bandit was dead

LOL -- I love it when the ragdoll system leads to people dying in lifelike positions. (I killed a draugr before he exited his upright coffin once, and he just casually leaned back against the wall to scare me three or four times during the ensuing fight with his kindred).

Theblazeuk
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I did not know about the food in riften

I will soon find out! Well once i've handled the Silver Hand quests.

One odd and interesting thing I've found out because of Skyrim is the absurdly serious defence some people will offer if you question their fictional morality. I mean when you think about it, all Wulf did was some light religious purging.

gundrea
01-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I did not know about the food in riften

I will soon find out! Well once i've handled the Silver Hand quests.

One odd and interesting thing I've found out because of Skyrim is the absurdly serious defence some people will offer if you question their fictional morality. I mean when you think about it, all Wulf did was some light religious purging.

did he? Or did he attack my brothers-in-faith? If you strike at one of us do you not strike at all of us? Does a man slaughter people or a monster? Does a man post his achievements or does a monster?

A MAN CHOOSES. A MONSTER OBEYS.

Smashbox
01-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Normally, I'd agree with you, but in a world where your options are to walk around near, talk to using pre-determined speech options, or kill, there's not a lot of options for someone who decides he wants to "do something" about a problem. I do agree with your point, but perhaps not in such a limited interaction model (this problem afflicts nearly all games, btw).

Of course afterward I found out the bandit was dead.

Creepy.

Vexing Vision
02-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Yesterday, after I managed to get my computer back running again (seven years are starting to show their age :( ), I found the Bard's Leap Summit point of interest while being on a mission for Meridia.

Without wanting to spoil too much, I found out why it was called such. And it was absolutely awesome.

Now I'm reexamining the other points of interest to see if I can trigger something similar.

Seeing completely new and unexpected tricks/mechanics 70 hours into the game is really cool.

DigitalSignalX
03-12-2011, 01:41 AM
So am I the only one who apparently didn't even realise a choice came up during the very first quest as to who to follow out of Helgen? I, apparently, ended up following the Imperial man but I don't remember there being two people vying for my attention. :(

I didn't realize it either. For another thread I started a second character to test how player save profiles work, and bearing this in mind I still could not find the option of who to follow. I could only see the imperial. Maybe it has to do with what race you start with?

On the topic of weird things, is anyone else collecting the bugs in a jar? I've found three so far, a monarch butterfly, a dragonfly, and a moth. What others are there?

I've found a hunting bow with one of those mage ice-shard spells stuck in it - it looked awesome.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2420/tesv2011112414094228.th.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2420/tesv2011112414094228.jpg) http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2814/tesv2011112414100003.th.jpg (http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2814/tesv2011112414100003.jpg)

A female bandit in a cave had a collection of almost every type of shoe. (note the awkward arrow position ... )
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/130/tesv2011112020241772.th.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/130/tesv2011112020241772.jpg)

A tree planted in stone (http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3392/tesv2011112413193850.jpg).

A frozen mammoth in an ice shelf with arrows and hunting spears sticking out of it.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3037/tesv2011112618131976.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3037/tesv2011112618131976.jpg)

Theblazeuk
03-12-2011, 02:11 AM
I didn't realize it either. For another thread I started a second character to test how player save profiles work, and bearing this in mind I still could not find the option of who to follow. I could only see the imperial. Maybe it has to do with what race you start with?

I've seen both on the three times I played through the beginning. It really just comes down to which door you take into the keep and which person you speak to in Riverhold.

Drake Sigar
03-12-2011, 07:13 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/AEedwin/2011-12-03_00002.jpg

"What do you want, Mr Quaid?"

HTAPAWASO
04-12-2011, 03:44 AM
On the topic of weird things, is anyone else collecting the bugs in a jar? I've found three so far, a monarch butterfly, a dragonfly, and a moth. What others are there?

There's a bee which you can find in the upstairs of the Apiary near Riften (part of one of the Thieves' Guild quests). There's also a bee statue which you can sell to one of the Guild members nearby.

Hensler
04-12-2011, 04:27 AM
I'm determined to find all 24 unusual gems without using a guide, but it's kicking my ass.

Drinking with Skeletons
05-12-2011, 04:39 PM
There's a bee which you can find in the upstairs of the Apiary near Riften (part of one of the Thieves' Guild quests). There's also a bee statue which you can sell to one of the Guild members nearby.

There's a torchbug in a jar in Frostflow Lighthouse, between Dawnstar and Winterhold (slightly south of them, horizontally).

There seemed to be something written on the underside of the cork, though I couldn't make it out; is this some kind of unmarked quest?

Kadayi
05-12-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a butterfly in a jar I picked up somewhere.

LowKey
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I read somewhere that the Jar's were for a collection quest that was left out, during the quest Diplomatic Immunity Malborn died in my arms and he was carrying some sort of ring of health (cant remember exactly what it was at the moment) I wondered if this was a homage to Fargoth and his ring in Morrowind

Anthile
05-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I have found five jars and I have systematically plundered every house and dungeon in all of Skyrim.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3553/2011120400001m.jpg

Serenegoose
05-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I read somewhere that the Jar's were for a collection quest that was left out, during the quest Diplomatic Immunity Malborn died in my arms and he was carrying some sort of ring of health (cant remember exactly what it was at the moment) I wondered if this was a homage to Fargoth and his ring in Morrowind

If you collect them all you get a title. The 'jarl'

Smashbox
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM

I love that.

Berzee
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM

*slow clap* (like the people who listen to bards in Skyrim)

Vexing Vision
05-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Your Thu'um is powerful.

Anthile
05-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Some interesting stuff I came across:

-There is a small, abandoned mine east of Riften. It's seemingly devoid of anything but mushrooms and you find a journal there which tells you how two men bought the mine in the hope to find gold there but they didn't and some day one of the men just disappeared and then the other one gave up. However, with a bit of dexterity you can jump behind the waterfall - and you will find a skeleton there, together with some gold ore veins.

-If you manage to sneak up on the briarheart forsworn you can pickpocket their, well, briarhearts from them which will kill them instantly.

-If you're in Blackreach and shout near that orange globe it will vibrate and a named, hostile dragon appears.

-There is a headless horseman ghost riding around in the western parts of Skyrim. If you follow him, he will lead you to a treasure.

-There is a master level door in the house of the Black-Briars in Riften. If you pick it, it reveals that Maven has performed the black sacrament but a note says it wasn't successful and she even knows Astrid's name. It never seems to be relevant to anything, though.

-Guards will not only remark on your highest skills but also on daedric artifacts as well as certain types of armor (they pity you for iron armor and marvel at your dragon stuff).

DigitalSignalX
05-12-2011, 11:35 PM

so lol. We need a miniature dragon in a jar. Modders, to the mod mobile!

Some interesting stuff I came across:

-If you're in Blackreach and shout near that orange globe it will vibrate and a named, hostile dragon appears.

very nice find, thank you!

Skalpadda
05-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I came across the Companions (Aela, Vilkas and Farkas, I believe) battling a mammoth on the beach just below Windhelm. Good thing I came along since they were definitely losing.

KaiserBob
05-12-2011, 11:57 PM

So I guess you should try to teach understanding and acceptance to AI characters in a video game. You can't reason or negotiate with them. The Silver Hands will always be against the player - there will never be a treaty between themselves and the Companions.

The player is the only sentient (or even living) being in the Skyrim world and thus eliminating entire races or factions is no different destroying inanimate objects.

You sir are a fucking idiot.

jryan
06-12-2011, 12:34 AM
So I guess you should try to teach understanding and acceptance to AI characters in a video game. You can't reason or negotiate with them. The Silver Hands will always be against the player - there will never be a treaty between themselves and the Companions.

The player is the only sentient (or even living) being in the Skyrim world and thus eliminating entire races or factions is no different destroying inanimate objects.

And you sir wasted your money when you could have just used Windows Calculator to crunch some numbers.

Serenegoose
06-12-2011, 12:36 AM

Classy.

But keep this childish idiocy off the forums. There's no patience for that kind of talk here.

Kadayi
06-12-2011, 12:59 AM

Guess you ain't from around these parts: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?104-The-Rules

The Rules

1. Be excellent to each other.

2. That means not insulting each other.

3. No, really, it's possible to disagree without insults. Just don't do it.

4. Please use English. I know, but our Foreign is pretty shockingly bad.

5. Please report spam or innappropriate behaviour using the tools provided.

Feel free to disagree with someone, but keep it on a level.

Smashbox
06-12-2011, 02:31 AM

Welcome! Leave.

Nalano
06-12-2011, 03:08 AM

That kinda defeats the purpose of playing RPGs.

That kinda defeats the purpose of posting.

Rossignol
06-12-2011, 08:55 AM
KaiserBob banned for two weeks.

gundrea
06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I feel bad now. This is just like in the game when I went to heal one of the guards while we were dragonfighting and accidentally used the lightning hand instead.

Ian
06-12-2011, 10:44 AM
-There is a headless horseman ghost riding around in the western parts of Skyrim. If you follow him, he will lead you to a treasure.

Oh, balls. I think I saw him the other night when riding out of Markarth, but I thought it was a stray ice wraith and couldn't be arsed chasing it to kill it.

And there's some other ones akin to your miner's journal one too. I was in some cave to clear out some bandits and one of them had a journal on her saying how she was skimming loot from the gang's take and stashing it on a little island in a nearby lake that she was planning to fuck off with. Not much worth fussing about in the chest but it's a nice touch.

Smashbox
06-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Via the internet:

More of a glitch than a cool find, but there's apparently an invisible chest chock full o' loot in Dawnstar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPwYB8bCnc

Ian
09-12-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

:D:D

DigitalSignalX
10-12-2011, 01:06 AM
[from video " you know the chest has been reset because the dragon will spawn to attack windstar..]

I think I miss out on a lot of dragon attacks because I don't quick travel. I've only seen one town attack in over 200 hours. Are they scripted to start after arriving in towns like that?

Hensler
10-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Has anybody found anything cool or interesting in the ocean / underwater to justify all the damn waterbreathing potions? I started looking all over on the bottoms of lakes and such, but all I've found were a couple of weaksauce chests in shipwrecks, and went back to swimming on the surface.

Duckee
10-12-2011, 03:49 AM
My favourite random encounter was when I walked towards Markarth and came to the old stone bridge which is just outside it. Here you will meet 3 goats walking over the bridge, with a dead troll underneath it. This is a reference to a Norwegian fairytale called Bukkene Bruse (The Three Rams Bruse). I was flabbergasted to find such an obscure reference. I guess they have a Norwegian working for them..

In hindsight, they might not have as so much in Skyrim has Nordic influences and the fairytale could just be something they have read while developing...

Skalpadda
10-12-2011, 04:29 AM
It's a very well known fairy tale here in Sweden as well. No idea if it's spread outside of Scandinavia, but as you say it seems like the kind of thing you'd come across if you're doing research into Nordic mythology.

I have (surprisingly) not had many glitches or bugs in the game so far, but last night it seems the physics engine decided to go nuts on me and I saw a number of flying mammoths outside Whiterun. Later, I ambushed a dragon at it's roost which prompted it to fly up and then immediately crash right into a mountain where it got stuck with it's head in the rock, uselessly flailing it's wings and legs around while I shot it with arrows in the bum until it died.

Berzee
10-12-2011, 06:28 AM
The Three Billygoats Gruff is like one of the first stories you learn as a child in America. =P So no surprise there. In fact when I was a tiny child me and my brother and cousins did a "play" of it using two twin beds and a board for the bridge, and afterwards my aunts and uncles and parents and grandparents all threw money at us (unless that was after another play, I can't remember things clearly that far into the past...except, curiously, the billygoats gruff play).

gwathdring
10-12-2011, 08:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

:D:D

That is one of the most beautiful gaming moments I've ever seen. :D Thank you.

DigitalSignalX
10-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Today I learned two things:

You can swim with a horse. Don't know why, but I just never tried it before. I always looked for places you could safely cross waterways without going under. So yeah. Embarrassing facepalm FTW.

All those carved symbols by doorways actually mean something. I'd been going the whole game seeing them, thinking "what's up with that" and now I know. READ BOOKS.

Over 200 hours and I'm still learning stuff about this game. I like to think it's less of me being a bit dim and more of Skyrim being quite a bit amazing.

Skalpadda
10-12-2011, 04:03 PM
All those carved symbols by doorways actually mean something. I'd been going the whole game seeing them, thinking "what's up with that" and now I know. READ BOOKS.

Finding that book and suddenly realising what all those symbols meant was one of the best moments in the game for me :)

Ian
10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
The carvings by doors mean something? :O

I'd spotted them and guessed they did but I've yet to see something explaining it.

Anthile
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Shadowmarks

Drake Sigar
10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Was pretty suprised at the discovery myself. You could blow hundreds of hours on Skyrim and never notice these hidden signs. Once I read the sign book I began to find them all over the place, it was like discovering a pair of magical sunglasses from They Live and suddenly seeing all the hidden messages. One sign in particular interested me - a warning that the occupant of the house was under the protection of the thieves guild. Anyone here ever actually see this sign out in the world?

gundrea
10-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I have never found any shadowmarks outside Riften. I must be failing spot checks left and right. And while I haven't seen it I'd wager that [possiblespoiler] the Black Briar Lodge might have that mark outside it?

Skalpadda
11-12-2011, 02:43 AM
I've even found some in dungeons, indicating various things and they're (SPOILER!) very useful if you want to complete the Thieves Guild quests without killing anyone (ENDSPOILER). It's just such a nice little detail with grounding in the real world.

Berzee
11-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Wow, I've never even noticed the shadowmarks. Definitely going to watch the doorposts now!

Ian
11-12-2011, 10:48 AM
The first one I saw was on the shop of the sleazy guy in Whiterun. And I think it's the "loot" one for there being something worth nicking. Will definitely need to go and snoop around his shop at night. :)

Hensler
11-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I usually either kill all the guards or pay my bounty when I get caught committing a crime, but I misclicked and ended-up in Markarth prison. I know the lore and dialogue mention that the mines are ran by prisoner labor, but I was surprised to find myself locked in the mine instead of a cell after getting arrested. It turns out there is a whole Chronicles of Riddick style prison quest going on down there. Most people will probably never even see it if they don't get taken to jail.

GraveyardJimmy
11-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I usually either kill all the guards or pay my bounty when I get caught committing a crime, but I misclicked and ended-up in Markarth prison. I know the lore and dialogue mention that the mines are ran by prisoner labor, but I was surprised to find myself locked in the mine instead of a cell after getting arrested. It turns out there is a whole Chronicles of Riddick style prison quest going on down there. Most people will probably never even see it if they don't get taken to jail.

There's a major quest in Markarth that puts you in there, so I think its quite common to see it.

Milos
11-12-2011, 03:57 PM
While travelling on the roads of western Skyrim I came upon a mercenary. When I talked to him and found out he was going to fulfil a contract I got an option to ask to do it instead of him to which he happily agreed. I got a notification a new marker was added to the map but considering I already have over a hundred places marked I have no bloody idea which particular one was his.

Also, I once got intercepted by a guy on the run who gave me a bow and said to keep it for him untill he comes back to claim it. He warned me how I'll regret if I try to cross him and keep it for myself or something similar. A few seconds later the man chasing him showed up and asked if I saw anyone pass by. Without a second of agonizing over the choice I gave him the bow and and he promptly shot the criminal. So yeah, that worked out nicely for him. This happened in SW part of the map though it could happen anywhere for all I know.

Hensler
11-12-2011, 04:01 PM
While travelling on the roads of western Skyrim I came upon a mercenary. When I talked to him and found out he was going to fulfil a contract I got an option to ask to do it instead of him to which he happily agreed. I got a notification a new marker was added to the map but considering I already have over a hundred places marked I have no bloody idea which particular one was his.

If you go into the journal, you can turn active quests on and off. It should make it easier than having hundreds of places marked at once.

Milos
11-12-2011, 04:06 PM
If you go into the journal, you can turn active quests on and off. It should make it easier than having hundreds of places marked at once.

No I didn't mean marked as in quests marker, but simply places "discovered" on the map. The guy didn't even give me an active quest as far as I could tell only showed me where to go to, presumably, complete the contract.

Wooly Wugga Wugga
11-12-2011, 06:52 PM
I found a book which started an epic quest. Also, a clueless wannabe wizard stumbling around who can give you a Staff of Epic Zombies.

Probably the best quests have been the Mara quests you get in Riften. It's nice to do quests that involve love and not just murder.

Ian
11-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Shamelessly copy/pasting a post I made elsewhere, I found my two favourite books I've seen in the game.

Sample from the first one called "Alduin is Real."

my da used to say - Imperials are idiutts!

That is why I am riting this book. I ent never rote a book before, and I do not reckon to rite one agenn, but sometimes a man must do what a man must do. And what I must do is set the recerd strate about the god called Akatosh and the dragon called Alduin. They ent the same thing, no matter what them Imperials mite say, or how thay mite wish it to be so.

And the second one, which is well worth keeping an eye out for (or reading here (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Ahzirr_Traajijazeri)) is written by a Khajit, trying to explain Khajit. And contains quality such as this:

Life is short. If you have not made love recently, please, put down this book, and take care of that with all haste. Find a wanton lass or a frisky lad, or several, in whatever combination your wise loins direct, and do not under any circumstances play hard to get. Our struggle against the colossal forces of oppression can wait.

Good. Welcome back.

DigitalSignalX
12-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Many of the books are superb. I read one yesterday about these louts discussing who was the "best at being a warrior" and it ended up touching on your character in Morrowind, discussing the nature of being best at a certain weapon, and then best at wearing armor - followed by a story about a guy who was best at wearing heavy armor and how he catches a lover with his wife, and then proceeds to ravish her, all while wearing armor.

Skalpadda
12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
There's a cave not far from Whiterun where you come across a blind bandit (who isn't hostile). He carries a book with only empty pages.

Theblazeuk
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Heh, the blind watchman. I just left him there after murdering all of his friends (who were apparently going to kill him anyway). That same cave has a hidden stash nearby if you read the leader's journal.

I met the fugitive with the bow and the hunter. Ended up selling it, the fugitive hasn't found me yet...

BobsLawnService
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
A bunch of bandits roasting a Skeever on a flame trap.

DigitalSignalX
13-12-2011, 09:23 AM
I randomly jumped off a crows nest over a waterfall into a small tidal pool and survived. A ghost appeared, congratulating me and giving me a speech upgrade. I fucking love this game.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3249/tesv2011121303135449.jpg

Ian
13-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I randomly jumped off a crows nest over a waterfall into a small tidal pool and survived. A ghost appeared, congratulating me and giving me a speech upgrade. I fucking love this game.

That's awesome, and really encourages you to try random stuff in a way that (for me) getting an achievement for doing something random in a game really doesn't.

Where is that, anyway? Trying to work out where the place in the left of the background is. :D Thought it was Whiterun at first but don't think it is now...

Vexing Vision
13-12-2011, 09:53 AM
If you run some quests for some of the less questionable Daedra Princes, you'll come across the place.

DigitalSignalX
13-12-2011, 11:00 AM
I believe it's Lost Valley Redoubt, directly south of village Ronkstead.

Ian
13-12-2011, 11:00 AM
I've got two quests I'm meant to be doing for daedra at the moment I think. I picked up something called "Meridia's Beacon" and keep forgetting to follow up on it. Not sure what the other one is, I may be thinking of the Molag Bal one that I've decided not to do.

DigitalSignalX
13-12-2011, 11:44 PM
The beacon is a fun one. I'm dragging around a named bow and dagger that I picked up without quests for yet. I think my game is starting to mess up though, some NPC's are offering the text for previously completed epic quests again for some reason.

Skalpadda
15-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Is it just a random thing or do the vampires have a shoe fetish? I've come across at least three large shoe collections in vampire dens now.

Ian
15-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Anybody else done the quest for the Jarl of Markarth where you have to go and fetch a shield strolen from him from a tower full of hagravens and forsworn?

I love the hagraven you find in a cage who wants you to help her take back her tower from her sister, and when you ask her why you'd help her she says you look like a nice [race], but gets your race wrong. :D In my case I'm an imperial and she called me a Breton and then said we all look the same to her. I'd be interested to see what she says to khajit and argonians.

So yeah, I let her out (spoilers) and she does actually help and doesn't turn hostile at the end.

Naturally I slaughtered her anyway because hagravens are foul creatures.

DigitalSignalX
20-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Came across these 3 hunters in their undies enjoying a hot bath, their clothes scattered about on the ground near them.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1590/tesv2011122003112024.jpg

Saw a thief approaching to try and shake me down, but before I could pull my guild card out, he gets jumped by two bears. Insta-karma.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2204/tesv2011122003020355.jpg

A woman and her dog looting the corpse of some random courier.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5839/tesv2011121417174720.jpg

I was looking for that too.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7769/tesv2011121511164003.jpg

Caleb367
20-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Dunno if someone already posted that, but on the northern coast between Winterhold and Dawnstar, there are two statues of Talos half buried in snow and ice, facing each other across a very narrow strait. Feels... odd. And damn awesome, if you manage to happen by at dawn.

DigitalSignalX
20-12-2011, 08:13 PM
There are a great deal of things, from shrines to tombs that don't warrant icons on the map but are just as interesting to explore. Over 250 hours without fast travel and I still find new things.

Wolfkin
16-01-2012, 11:12 PM
I've never seen the Companions out and about other than the scripted bit.

Which for all that it clearly was set-up for the player to find, when I first saw it and joined in I was finding it pretty awesome.

Thieves Guild/General: After completion of the thieves guild I was (for the first time in all my wanderings) approached by a random thief, a Khajit, who wanted me to hand over some/all of my money. I initially told him to get bent but that didn't intimidate him so I was able to say I was one of the Nightingales, at which point he apologised and scarpered.

The Shack is called Abbandoned Shack it's located near The dragon word wall the standing stone and the Giant Camp in a casm beween two cliffs and a by a river like you said. But yeah that bear made me cross the river the first time to, I was like Oh S**t!

Wolfkin
16-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Fellglow Lighthouse I think it called right? Yeah that one was very nice, especially finding the fathers remains inside that giant bug and the note books to real nice touch! Also been in there a few times and only just recently noticed the mantal where I found the Torchbug in the jar, which now sits on a table in the Arch-Mage's Quarters. ^.^

Wolfkin
16-01-2012, 11:23 PM
so lol. We need a miniature dragon in a jar. Modders, to the mod mobile!

very nice find, thank you!

Lmfao! Oh man you made my day thank you so much! Plus that'd be awesome if it sang the Dovahkiin song to when activated. <.<

Wolfkin
16-01-2012, 11:38 PM

If you do the Forsworn Conspiracy Quest? You end up back in there and you do the quest, it's a pretty cool quest to do.

Wolfkin
16-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Anybody else done the quest for the Jarl of Markarth where you have to go and fetch a shield strolen from him from a tower full of hagravens and forsworn?

I love the hagraven you find in a cage who wants you to help her take back her tower from her sister, and when you ask her why you'd help her she says you look like a nice [race], but gets your race wrong. :D In my case I'm an imperial and she called me a Breton and then said we all look the same to her. I'd be interested to see what she says to khajit and argonians.

So yeah, I let her out (spoilers) and she does actually help and doesn't turn hostile at the end.

Naturally I slaughtered her anyway because hagravens are foul creatures.

I've done that quest...but I do not remember any Hagraven in a cage though where was that?.

However I did run into a Hagraven near Ygvol's Borrow near Windhelm she was fighting off a Spriggen and two animals. I watched her for a bit then killed her. I thought it was extremely random and was not sure how or why that happened. I've never encountered A spriggen of a Hagraven there ever. Love how random Skyrim is.

Wolfkin
16-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I keep getting jumped by Dark Brotherhood Assassin's, my Mage Khajiit has three or four Dark Brotherhood bounty letters now. Anyone know how this occures? How does your character anger someone to perform the Black Sacrament on you? At one point and recently I had one khajiit female assassin attack my male Argonian then after killing her I turned around and got jumped by a second assassin like 2 minutes later. I'm really thinking they do not like me, with the exception of my Dark Brotherhood female argonian assassin, they like her.

Wolfkin
17-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Seeing this dragon surface...yeah that was a WTF moment right there.

Anthile
17-01-2012, 11:43 PM
I keep getting jumped by Dark Brotherhood Assassin's, my Mage Khajiit has three or four Dark Brotherhood bounty letters now. Anyone know how this occures? How does your character anger someone to perform the Black Sacrament on you? At one point and recently I had one khajiit female assassin attack my male Argonian then after killing her I turned around and got jumped by a second assassin like 2 minutes later. I'm really thinking they do not like me, with the exception of my Dark Brotherhood female argonian assassin, they like her.

I think that happens randomly when you kill named people and their pals send the dark brotherhood after you. Kind of like the hired thugs that come after you when you steal stuff.

Wolfkin
18-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I think that happens randomly when you kill named people and their pals send the dark brotherhood after you. Kind of like the hired thugs that come after you when you steal stuff.

Ahhh okay! I always wondered about that personally, I think it's kind of funny, to bad it never happens in a city that'd be damn funny! Thank you for answering my question.

FurryLippedSquid
22-12-2012, 02:26 PM
As I'm not allowed to make a thread yet (poor n00b), I'd like to share my musings within this thread. I hope you like (aww, only 4 images allowed RPS? Arse, that will limit my postings).

In a blatant rip off (I prefer homage, but let's be honest here) of Nondrick & Nordrick, I've decided to give it a go myself as it actually sounded rather good fun. The writing is not as good but hey-ho, I'm enjoying it and hopefully one or more of you might. I'm employing the same rules, no running, no stealing, no reloading, when Beakus dies the experiment ends. Oh, and positively no adventuring of any kind. Just a normal guy trying to make his way in the world.

I start my new life, as Beakus, in Kynesgrove, a tiny community in the East of Skyrim. I have nothing but rags for clothes and an axe to my name.

http://upload.drarok.com/uploads/16601-ScreenShot16.jpg

A guard approaches and informs me she'd be a lot happier with a bellyful of mead, I take this as an ice-breaker but am disappointed when she'll not engage me further. I wallow in self-pity and ponder my next move. Money. Everyone needs money, right? Ain't getting nowhere in this world without cold, hard cash.

I explore the settlement to find it has a mine, a small farm and an inn. Hmmm, mining's been done before :wink: but there seem few options in this place so with a hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go. On the way to the mine I meet a young man named Kjeld who informs me his father runs this town (delusions of grandeur my friend) and I'll be for the high-jump if I give him any trouble. Thanks Kjeld, you have a lovely day now. Inside the mine my reception is roughly as warm as Kjeld's and am told to move on from Kynesgrove. Ignoring the spiteful hag, who is surely too old and infirm to be in this hole, I find a pick to "borrow" and start hacking at the nearest ore seam working my way towards the back of the mine.

After a few hours bashing rocks to within an inch of their lives, I wipe the sweat from my, frankly, deformed brow and decide the day's work is done. On the way out I decide to keep the pick, might just come in handy. But, a pang of guilt prompts me in to leaving my iron war axe as recompense, it might not be as good at hitting rocks but it's 3 times the value! I emerge from the mine with an amethyst, a garnet and 12 pieces of malachite ore! whatever that is. I use the smelter outside the mine to refine 2 pieces of malachite worth 60 gold, in to 1 malachite ingot worth 100, seems like a no-brainer. Not a bad haul at all and I strike out to Braidwood Inn to do a little trading, Beakus must be starving by now.

Oh. Oh dear. I forgot you can only sell certain items to certain traders. It's 16:30 and the walk to Windhelm to the North seems impossibly long at this pace. Do I get moving or use one of the bedrolls on the farm? I don't like the idea of being out on the roads in the dark with naught but a pick, on the other hand do I want to spend a cold, hungry night in someone else's soiled bedclothes? My decision is made and I hit the road.

http://upload.drarok.com/uploads/16602-ScreenShot17.jpg

The walk didn't take as long as anticipated and was thoroughly uneventful aside from some flower picking, perfect. I'm feeling quite relieved as Windhelm hoves in to view.

http://upload.drarok.com/uploads/16603-ScreenShot18.jpg

I make my way through the stables and am tempted by a bottle of mead lying in the snow...no. Definitely not. It's not mine and besides, who knows what madcap adventuring it might lead to? be suspicious of everything and there will be no surprises. Then I get surprised. A guard walks past me and just happens to mention something about a boy, rituals and some brotherhood or other. KABLAMMO. I have a quest. Damn it woman, damn you and your loose tongue. Well I'm just going to ignore you. And it. That journal thing. Bringer of excitement, riches and danger. Mostly danger. No thank you madam. Good day.

As I enter the city it's gone 19:00 so I make straight for the blacksmith to offload my malachite ingots before he shuts up shop for the day. He gives me a very reasonable 198 gold in return, my first payday! As Beakus makes his way back to the main square humming Spandau Ballet, he wonders if he has enough time to make it to the trader to flog his precious stones. Probably not, a job for tomorrow then as he breaks off for Candlehearth Hall and some well-earned grub and a rest. Inside he purchases some bread, cooked beef and ale at a cost of 36 gold pieces, food seems a little pricey in Windhelm. As he sits at the bar, he eats and drinks contemplating his first day in Skyrim and what tomorrow might hold.

http://upload.drarok.com/uploads/16604-ScreenShot20.jpg

Clothes, probably.

phoenix54021
13-08-2013, 10:56 PM
The Shack is called Abbandoned Shack it's located near The dragon word wall the standing stone and the Giant Camp in a casm beween two cliffs and a by a river like you said. But yeah that bear made me cross the river the first time to, I was like Oh S**t!
The Abandoned Shack is home to a vampire. If you look around, you will find letters referring to this, plus she drains you when you attack her. Under the house is an enchanting table.

db1331
14-08-2013, 04:47 PM
I had an interesting moment with the AI the other day. I had just installed a bunch of mods for a new playthrough. I wanted to go the Agent route, using sneaky tactics, spells, and persuasion over outright violence. Using the Live Another Life mod, I had chosen to start as an outlaw in the wilds. I was spawned in a bandit camp, with a bit of back story about how my crew was fucking up, and that I was ready to cut ties with them. I decided I would stealthily eliminate them one by one, then loot the camp of all valuables.

Before I started though, I wanted to check out how things looked with my new ENB mod. I walked up to a table by a campfire. There was a bandit eating at the table, and another chopping wood nearby. I decided to drop some stuff on the table to see how things looked. I open my bags and drop an emerald. Ooh, shiny! The man seated at the table says, "Well, what do we have here?" The guy chopping wood walks over and claims that he saw it first. They go back and forth threatening each other, before one of them draws a sword. I'm just watching the whole scene in awe. After over 300 hours in the game, I didn't know the AI would act that way. One guy eventually kills the other, and picks up the emerald. His health is low. I walk up behind him, draw my dagger, and slit his throat. Then I take my emerald back, and continue on my way.

The RPer in me was like, "Yes! I totally meant to cleverly dispatch these two foes by using their base greed to pit them against each other. I am a master Agent."

DaftPunk
14-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Well,funny bug.

http://shrani.si/f/3L/t/1J7KEVbe/tesv-2012-11-08-15-23-02.jpg

I remember this encounter,was playing game at night,wandering around on foot when i stumble on this thing far far away on the road,it stayed put and after that it run away. I slowly moved back,slowly..

http://shrani.si/f/2G/tq/2XvBzgPs/tesv-2012-11-09-22-16-14.jpg

And this is the diary for that light house,where family moved in and something horrible happened to them ( Strange bugs in caves + boss at the end of caves)

http://shrani.si/f/S/mQ/47WcvM0A/tesv-2012-11-10-02-33-46.jpg
http://shrani.si/f/3M/Nt/3gcuc62U/tesv-2012-11-10-02-33-48.jpg

gwathdring
14-08-2013, 10:46 PM
I had an interesting moment with the AI the other day. I had just installed a bunch of mods for a new playthrough. I wanted to go the Agent route, using sneaky tactics, spells, and persuasion over outright violence. Using the Live Another Life mod, I had chosen to start as an outlaw in the wilds. I was spawned in a bandit camp, with a bit of back story about how my crew was fucking up, and that I was ready to cut ties with them. I decided I would stealthily eliminate them one by one, then loot the camp of all valuables.

Before I started though, I wanted to check out how things looked with my new ENB mod. I walked up to a table by a campfire. There was a bandit eating at the table, and another chopping wood nearby. I decided to drop some stuff on the table to see how things looked. I open my bags and drop an emerald. Ooh, shiny! The man seated at the table says, "Well, what do we have here?" The guy chopping wood walks over and claims that he saw it first. They go back and forth threatening each other, before one of them draws a sword. I'm just watching the whole scene in awe. After over 300 hours in the game, I didn't know the AI would act that way. One guy eventually kills the other, and picks up the emerald. His health is low. I walk up behind him, draw my dagger, and slit his throat. Then I take my emerald back, and continue on my way.

The RPer in me was like, "Yes! I totally meant to cleverly dispatch these two foes by using their base greed to pit them against each other. I am a master Agent."

That's AWESOME.

Rizlar
14-08-2013, 11:42 PM
How the fuck can they write some amazing Gollum AI into the game and make it so that no player will ever find it? That is incredible.

gwathdring
15-08-2013, 12:10 AM
How the fuck can they write some amazing Gollum AI into the game and make it so that no player will ever find it? That is incredible.

I have actually heard bandits say things like "I saw it first!" but I never realized it was a whole big thing because I inevitably stabbed them too quickly afterwards. I'm sure plenty of people have encountered the behavior in less fictionally perfect situations, too, and thus been less impressed by it.

The great shame of many of these kinds games is that behaviors like this are usually doomed to fall flat more often then they work. BUT, in theory, enough players will have enough stories (like this one) when enough of the routines and encounters worked out in some kind of awesome way that it's worth it.

DaftPunk
15-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Funny how people like to bash Skyrim when its SO FREAKING AWESOMEEEEE!

Blackcompany
15-08-2013, 12:46 AM
This one required two mods, but is worth the telling. First, the mods:

-Slof's Skeever texture. Makes Skeevers into cute, brown and white rodents who are pleasant to look at.
-Realistic Wildlife. Among other things, adds small, harmless, ambient wildlife to towns. Mainly small skeevers-as-rats
-Better Cities: Whiterun. Expands the town and adds market stalls to the main street

Now, just after the civil war battle for Whiterun, I entered the city. The fighting had only just ceased, and much still lay in ruins. There I stood, taking in the scene: Destruction everywhere. Empty streets. Of a sudden, a small metal bowl on the ground moves. From beneath it pokes a furry brown head, sniffing the air. Satisfied that all is safe once more, a small, furry skeever runt runs out from beneath the bowl to continue foraging in the war torn city. Life, I guess, goes on.

Oddly enough, that moment, more than any scripted event or monologue from a main character, convinced me that the people of skyrim were really fighting FOR something. Strange but true.

Rizlar
15-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Indeed, the trick with these sort of chaotic, emergent systems is making it so that the player(s) can appreciate them. Like, indicating at all that dropped items influence NPCs would help. Lucky we have threads like this to pick up the slack!

edit: More amazing stories... really need to reinstall Skyrim with some fluffy rodent and civil war mods.

DaftPunk
15-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Damn you people all this talk about Skyrim makes me wanna play game again. First time i stopped after 60 hours of playing,was stealth archer. Now if i want to go back to game from beginning because i tend to unistall everything ..Is there any mod from which i can starts at some other place (Not that beheading scene at the beginning of game where dragon attacks and you run with some dude through caves).

Harlander
15-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Yep.

Alternate Start (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9557)

I think something like this got made for Oblivion too

DaftPunk
15-08-2013, 10:46 AM
So with that mod i am not the chosen one who need to slay dragons ? I can just wander around and do random quests!? :D

Theblazeuk
15-08-2013, 10:47 AM
To be honest though nothing will beat Morrowind's guy-falling-from-the-sky and you find the terrific and terrible enchantment that lets him jump hundreds of feet but fall really, really fast.

Fanbuoy
15-08-2013, 10:52 AM
So with that mod i am not the chosen one who need to slay dragons ? I can just wander around and do random quests!? :D

No, sorry. It lets you start at a different place, but the starting mission is to go to Helgen and discover what happened there. From there, the MQ goes on as before. OTOH, you could just ignore the MQ if you want.

DaftPunk
15-08-2013, 11:46 AM
i want to be bandit Khajiit archer :x

Jesus_Phish
15-08-2013, 11:50 AM
So be one. You can ignore the main quest chain as long as you don't care about dragon voice powers.

Case
15-08-2013, 12:30 PM
One thing I found interesting was the explosive force of lightening to move things, so I made this video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4hMr7hS1fw

gwathdring
15-08-2013, 12:57 PM
So be one. You can ignore the main quest chain as long as you don't care about dragon voice powers.

Even if you do, just get to your first shout and leave off at that. You can slay dragons and collect shouts without worrying at all about the war or random dragon attacks on villages.

gwathdring
15-08-2013, 01:01 PM
One thing I found interesting was the explosive force of lightening to move things, so I made this video :D

Damn. I should invest in lightning spells ...

Nice video. Made me chuckle. :D

Drake Sigar
15-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Did someone add Zangief's spinning piledriver to the list of unarmed finishing moves yet?

db1331
28-08-2013, 03:36 PM

Funnily enough, I'm 99% certain that camp in the beginning of your video is the one I spawned at and witnessed the two bandits fighting over my emerald. I just got Skyrim set back up on my new build. I might see if I can still load up that auto save and recreate their fight and fraps it.

L_No
29-08-2013, 12:01 PM
To be honest though nothing will beat Morrowind's guy-falling-from-the-sky and you find the terrific and terrible enchantment that lets him jump hundreds of feet but fall really, really fast.

That was an awesome event, I still remember it, even though I haven't played Morrowind in years.

Drinking with Skeletons
29-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I've been thinking about a replay of Skyrim lately (like I need to give it another 100 hours on top of the 200+ I've already poured into it), and there's one thing about it's worldbuilding that worked really well and which I haven't heard anyone comment on: the Orc strongholds.

Orcs are a fantasy staple, and they really haven't been particularly unique or interesting in the Elder Scrolls prior to this. In Morrowind they almost all spoke in Bizarro-esque idiot-speak, which is kind of disappointing considering that game's elaborate and well-realized background.

In Skyrim, however, Orcs are shown to adhere to a patriarchal system in which a single chieftain rules over the community with absolute authority (complemented by a matriarchal shamanistic tradition), deposed only when one of his sons (or possibly an outsider; they didn't get into that much detail) kills him in single combat. This of course ties back to their worship of/descent from Malacath, who is kind of a bastard.

However, rather than have this be a kind of monolithic culture, it actually has a significant schism running through it. Orcs who don't want to live under such a restrictive society (particularly women, who contribute as much as men but are doomed to be treated like cattle for chieftains, who are the only ones allowed to have wives) leave and seek their fortunes elsewhere. Yet they can't leave their culture behind, so they often find work as soldiers, mercenaries, and criminals; their rigid, disciplined upbringing makes them strong leaders and effective followers with great knowledge of war and blacksmithing.

It's a surprisingly nuanced depiction of a culture, and whoever is most responsible for this bit of world-building deserves a pat on the back.

tedesco
29-08-2013, 03:22 PM
I am thinking about give Skyrim a third spin... The two first times were with no mods.

What are the mods (other than graphics, sounds) you guys suggest? I have all DLC.

DarkFenix
29-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Well I'd recommend the Deadly Dragons mod for one thing. Those random dragon assaults that occurred once every so often? Well now they can have up to 3 dragons at once, they can attack you in normally safe towns, there are more dragon types and existing ones have more abilities. There are a crapton of config options for it so you can tweak just about every aspect of dragons you like. Suffice to say being attacked by 3 dragons at once in Whiterun is a hell of a battle, doubly so if you deliberately melee specced to make dragons harder still.

Another good tweak is the Arrows and Bolts Tweaks mod. It basically gives a plethora of options to balance archery better; projectile speed and damage, drop, retrieval and merchant sale rates. I mostly use it for projectile speed, the snail-slow arrows in TES games always bugged me.

I'm also using the Immersive Armour and Weapon packs, they add a ton of new armour and weapon types to the game, but none of these break the feel of Skyrim. I don't use most of them, but enemies do so you won't see bandits using the same bloody equipment every single time.

Aside from that it's pretty much all graphical improvements, loads of them.

DaftPunk
29-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Be sure to get UI mod. Then there is neat mod can't remember the name but its basically about freezing to death. Remember when you romaed around in ice snow and it did nothing to you ? Now you can die by freezing,so you can make fire and shti like that.

db1331
29-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Be sure to get UI mod. Then there is neat mod can't remember the name but its basically about freezing to death. Remember when you romaed around in ice snow and it did nothing to you ? Now you can die by freezing,so you can make fire and shti like that.

Frostfall. That and Interesting NPCs are two must haves for me.

Smashbox
29-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Still wanted: The exposure mod & a modular clothing mod.

Kadayi
22-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I am thinking about give Skyrim a third spin... The two first times were with no mods.

What are the mods (other than graphics, sounds) you guys suggest? I have all DLC.

There's a bunch of good ones at the skyrim nexus. I particularly like the aMidianBorn Book of Silence texture mods: -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24909/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D24909&pUp=1

Whole bunch of topnotch texturework on the armours etc that really work well.

Player headtracking is great as well, if you play in 3rd person: -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23600/?

Respectful Lydia. Just changes her voice so she doesn't sound like a nag when you ask her anything: -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4806/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D4806&pUp=1

Wearable lanterns: -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17416/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D17416&pUp=1

Move it damn it. Useful in combination with the mod below: -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4020/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D4020&pUp=1

Ultimate follower overhaul: -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14037/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D14037%26 preview%3D&pUp=1

^ basically lots of follower tweaks, but the key one being it allows you to have more than one follower/loot mule which can be damn handy for those long dungeon trips.

Get snowy: -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19660/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D19660&pUp=1

Looks great..but I recommend the 5v5 patch cos after a while snow on your face just looks weird.

eewaan12
24-05-2014, 04:59 PM
This seems pretty creepy to me. So when I first visited Solitude I was just wandering about and then I came across a weird old man with missing textures, a crackly voice and NO name just there leaning against the wall of the Hall of the Dead which is located around the centre of the city. He was just staring at me and occasionally said something odd but I've forgot what he actually said because it was around a year and a half ago. I stood there for a few minutes just looking at him and then walked away thinking it was just a normal NPC. Now every time I go to Solitude I cant help but walk over to the Hall of the Dead and see if he's there but he never is. Plus its quite a coincidence that a weird old man who looks creepy is standing around a place called Hall of the Dead. P.S - It isn't Dervenin (a man who wanders around the Hall of the Dead) because I cant remember him having a hood and being a wood elf or maybe a dark elf I'm not quite sure which one he is.

lolzer202
21-06-2014, 02:37 PM
The best thing I found was the forge beneath WinterHold. I think it can craft creatures and deadric armor. I think that's where I got mine. I also love the assassin guys, sorry it's been a while sense I last played Skyrim. I know it's an awesome game and you guys should play it if you haven't! For short, Skyrim Rocks!

lolzer202
21-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Was he one of those glitched out dudes?