PDA

View Full Version : Steam: Bloodbowl 80% off

Skeletor68
29-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey guys. Quick query. Don't know anything about NFL or nothing but I've heard you guys going on about Blood Bowl. Is the single player much fun? Don't know much about it but most likely won't play multiplayer. Thoughts?

Cheers!

imirk
29-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Single player is fun if you are the type that loves steamrollering the computer (I am), for an actual challenge multiplayer is a must.

Kelron
29-11-2011, 06:50 PM
It's nothing to do with real american football, you don't need to worry there.

It's possible to get some fun out of single player, but it can't compare to multiplayer. If you can find 90 minutes every 10 days to join in with the RPS Divisions of Death, it's well worth it.

imirk
29-11-2011, 06:52 PM
It's nothing to do with real american football

It's got 11 players per side and a funny shaped ball, but that is really it.

Drake Sigar
29-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Blood Bowl is more rugby than American football. The single-player is ok but the AI always uses the same tactics (damn cage formation) regardless of the team being used. The single player has a league/championship mode which allows you to manage a team indefinitely, levelling up players and blowing mountains of gold on potions and cheerleaders. It'll keep you busy for a while.

Kelron
29-11-2011, 06:59 PM
he single player has a league/championship mode which allows you to manage a team indefinitely, levelling up players and blowing mountains of gold on potions and cheerleaders.

So does the multiplayer, and it's a lot more fun when you can't stroll leisurely through every match.

Drake Sigar
29-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Indeed, but sadly the OP has no interest in it. He'll probably pick real-time mode too, just to be extra heretical.

vinraith
30-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Cyanide's Blood Bowl games really are completely infuriating, speaking as a huge fan of the board game. I want a version of Blood Bowl I can play against a genuinely challenging computer opponent, to me that's the whole point of making a PC version of the game. If I have to play against other humans to get a challenge, I might as well play FumBBL or go down to the local game shop and deal with those mutants.

DarkFenix
30-11-2011, 03:29 AM
If you're not interested in the multiplayer there isn't a whole lot of point getting it, since the AI is frankly pants-on-head retarded.

What is it that puts you off the multiplayer incidentally?

archonsod
30-11-2011, 06:06 AM
I enjoy it in single player. More than multiplayer in many ways, at least with the AI you get to play against every type of team, even if it does try to play them the same way.

Vexing Vision
30-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Just read the many, many match-reports in one of the four or five threads we're occupying in the Social Game Clubs forum here at Rock Paper Shotgun - that should give you a pretty clear indication of what the game feels like. :)

Skeletor68
30-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Purchased! RPS hasn't steered me wrong so far. I don't usually play multiplayer because of a useless download limit and being locked into a contract (long story) also I tend to be a bit of a loner when playing games. Even when I play multiplayer Beat Hazard I get frustrated with people taking it way too seriously! I'll try and play a game with one of you chaps over Christmas. Perhaps I'll have finished Skyrim by then!

Vexing Vision
30-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Or jump in cold and join the next RPS Divisions of Death - should start just before Christmas. Getting stomped on is the best way to learn the game. :D

Skeletor68
30-11-2011, 11:38 AM
@ Vexing Vision, haha. Challenge accepted. I'll try to get to it. I wouldn't mind losing to any RPS'ers as I can be guaranteed that any subsequent mocking will at least be funny.

ntw
30-11-2011, 12:22 PM
The sheet to apply to the Divisions of Death (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?54-RPS-Blood-Bowl-League-The-many-many-Divisions-of-Death!) is HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=24), check the quickstart rules tab. It's probably worth trying to get a friendly in beforehand to ensure your firewall is working OK and so someone can help you deal with cyanide's atrocious UI. The RPS BBLE Challenge League (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?147-RPS-Blood-Bowl-Challenge-League) is a good place to go for friendly games.

pakoito
30-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I love/hate this game, but I wouldn't play it anymore.

Drake Sigar
30-11-2011, 12:54 PM
The sheet to apply to the Divisions of Death (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?54-RPS-Blood-Bowl-League-The-many-many-Divisions-of-Death!)
Bah. Bah I say! I went into that thread expecting to play multiplayer Bloodbowl within moments (I've still never played even one multiplayer game), and instead I was assigned to limbo.

ntw
30-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Sorry to hear that Drake, but if you were after a quick fix then the Challenge League is a better bet.

To clarify - the seasons last about 30 days, and we do *try* to fit everyone in. However between the occasional dropout or no show sometimes events conspire against us. I think it's made pretty clear in the thread that we do our level best to get everyone playing, but the players also have a responsibility to help us by paying attention and turning up for the season if they have said they'll play...

If you're still interested we've just entered the last match of the season (each season consists of 3 matches, each match should be played in a 10 day window), so we'll be aiming to start the next season in about 2 weeks time.

Heliocentric
30-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Got it, its a rather tiny download isn't it?

Divisions of Death is it? Rightio.