PDA

View Full Version : Skydrift = best racing game in ages

LGM
30-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Anybody else playing this on Steam yet? The game is just incredible, amazingly fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjc9HhORB3A

It runs perfect and looks incredible on PC, great track design, the combat is a blast and the controls are flawless. If you ever liked any racing game OR air combat game, Skydrift is for you. Deathmatch in MP is a great time as well, so there's some good versatility to the online. DM modes are a DLC, unfortunately, but well worth it, as it costs very little and the game itself is only 10 dollars.

I wrote a little review of it on the steam forum for it:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2262421

Hopefully the guys at RPS will get down with this game and write a review, we really need more players! Very few people playing online, which is a shame cuz I'd be on there as much as possible if there was enough people.

NecroKnight
30-11-2011, 07:56 AM
This reminds me of another similar game, I just can't remember it's name.

KauhuK
30-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Now I'm interested. Too bad I dont have money for it right now :(. Going to try the demo though.

LGM
30-11-2011, 08:28 AM
The deathmatch is extremely similar to the cancelled Dreamcast game "Propeller Arena" (which is possible to play now, thankfully, on an emu) and the racing is sort of like Blur but with really fast airplanes. Unlike Blur though, it's not a broken game lol. :)

Bobtree
30-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Steam forums say this port is locked at 30 FPS, which is lame, and also a great way to cause motion sickness when combined with a fast moving point of view.

Any word on rubber-banding, blue shells, that sort of thing? WipeoutHD was pretty much ruined for me by that sort of stuff (and lame handling / physics).

Rii
30-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I played the demo on PS3 and it was pretty fun. Can't see it working with mouse/keyboard mind you.

vinraith
30-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Very cool, a bit like Burnout in the sky. It does drive me a little crazy, though, that when I roll the plan halfway to "knife edge" position (as the game calls it) and then pull back on the stick, I go up with respect to the screen instead of up with respect to the plane.

Joseph
30-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Whenever I see a saucy-looking flying game it always makes me want to play a new Crimson Skies... or Diddy-Kong Racing

The JG Man
30-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I really wish there was a PC demo...I can see me picking it up during the Christmas sale though. It's the kind of thing I like.

vinraith
30-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I really wish there was a PC demo...

There is, it's on Steam.

The JG Man
30-11-2011, 10:02 PM
...YES! When did that go up?! I swear when I first looked it wasn't there. That's a shame, because it looks right up my street and I would've got it early to get that free DLC. Still, got enough on my plate that even if I do like it, I'll wait a bit.

ReverendMoosey
01-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Nobody else wondering about LGM's first and only posts being ridiculously effusive praise for the game?

LGM
01-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Nobody else wondering about LGM's first and only posts being ridiculously effusive praise for the game?
I actually have 2 posts (and 3 with this one!) and I live in Canada so my hours online are probably different than most people's on here (lots more people from Europe on here I suspect. RPS is a UK site i think). And I really do like the game, was just playing some DM a few mins ago. I linked to a review I did of the game on steamforums and if you like, just follow my username there over to the Renegade Ops thread where I profess my anger at the game crashing and not being fixed (!!!) or to numerous other game thread on steams forums. In other words, I do not work for the developers and in fact I am a pot smoking Canadian who has been playing racing games since the early 80's and my only programming experience was with BASIC in the 80's and early 90's making useless spreadsheets and databases in computer class.

I really mean everything I said about the game, it's freaking great and more people need to get busy with it!

@Bobtree, I don't know what 'blue shells' is, but there seems to be some rubber banding int he single player. I didn't play Wipeout HD so I can't compare but the handling seems good to me in Skydrift. I've had some pretty bad lag online now, but I was playing with people in Europe so the latency would have been pretty awful. I quite enjoyed the single player, although it's over far too quickly, but I haven't beat it on hard yet so there still a bit left for me to do there. And for the 30fps thing, it does suck, if they can "unlock" it or whatever, it'll be incredibly smooth at 60, cuz it's not too bad at 30. I haven't had any motion sickness, anyways.

Zaboomafoozarg
01-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Looks exactly like that game that came out with the N64.

The JG Man
01-12-2011, 02:36 AM
@Bobtree, I don't know what 'blue shells' is

An item those at the back of the pack would likely pick up in Mario Kart. In older versions, it travelled along the ground homing into first and attacking anyone that got in its way. In the latest incarnations, it only attacked first (travelling in air). It's loathed by quite a lot of gamers because it, along with several other weapons (good lord especially in the Wii version) would hunt down first and make being in that place almost pointless.

I'll give the demo a spin at some point, probably Friday, and give some opinions re. Wipeout. Haven't played HD, but I imagine the controls aren't overwhelmingly different to any of the other main-series entries...

pakoito
01-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Looks exactly like that game that came out with the N64.Pilotwings? Diddy Kong Racing?

vinraith
01-12-2011, 02:49 AM
I've been enjoying the demo and was thinking about picking up the game and selling my friends on it, then I read this:

The online runs great, however there are no bots, and you will be forced to wait for 8 players to join your match, which can take a long time.http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/skydrift/1256686

Never mind, then. I will never understand the mentality that leads to that kind of idiotic design decision. I want to set up a game with friends and fill it out the remaining spots with bots. I do not want to have to play with strangers, and I particularly do not want to have to wait seventeen ages for the tiny community surrounding your indie game to show up in sufficient numbers to allow me to play. Stupid, stupid, stupid decision, and it just lost them several sales.

pakoito
01-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Never mind, then. I will never understand the mentality that leads to that kind of idiotic design decision.
The mentality that making bots is a investment of time and manpower, ergo money too. All and all just to get the usual "AI is dumb and can be outplayed by a 5yo".

Zaboomafoozarg
01-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Pilotwings? Diddy Kong Racing?

Yeah, that one.

LGM
01-12-2011, 03:20 AM
An item those at the back of the pack would likely pick up in Mario Kart. In older versions, it travelled along the ground homing into first and attacking anyone that got in its way. In the latest incarnations, it only attacked first (travelling in air). It's loathed by quite a lot of gamers because it, along with several other weapons (good lord especially in the Wii version) would hunt down first and make being in that place almost pointless.

I'll give the demo a spin at some point, probably Friday, and give some opinions re. Wipeout. Haven't played HD, but I imagine the controls aren't overwhelmingly different to any of the other main-series entries...
ok, I remember that now. Thankfully there's nothing like that in Skydrift. That type of thing is super annoying!

vinraith
01-12-2011, 04:33 AM
The mentality that making bots is a investment of time and manpower, ergo money too.

But that's what I don't understand, they already have bots for the single player game. What's the harm in letting us use them in MP? It costs them nothing whatsoever to do it, and hugely damages the playability of the MP game when they don't. It seems like every racing game that comes out these days has AI opponents in SP, but won't let you use them in MP. It's ridiculous. With an indie game it's the same as saying: "Well, this part of the game won't be playable ever again a month after release, sucks to be you guys.

sabrage
01-12-2011, 05:09 AM
The real problem is that the game requires 8 people to start. This is an indie arcade racer, not Left 4 Dead. (though that game actually had bots) I'm glad you pointed that out Vinraith, I was mildly interested until I saw that.

Also, I guess I haven't played Wipeout HD in multiplayer, but I haven't noticed any obvious rubberbanding and none of the items seem as flat-out devastating as Mario Kart's blue shells. The earthquake is a bit ridiculous, but it doesn't really disable you for that long, and the plasma cannon is difficult enough to land for it to be balanced. Everything else seems fairly weak. There's been several years in the interim since I played it, but the physics seem largely unchanged from Wipeout Pure. (in other words, spot on)

Henke
01-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Every time I see this title somewhere I have to say "Do you catch my SkyDrift?" out loud. Then I realize I am all alone, in my dark tower of PC-gaming. And noone is going to reply...

Perhaps Slipstream 5000 (from 1995) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXTZTNkErRA)? :)

LGM
01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
The real problem is that the game requires 8 people to start. This is an indie arcade racer, not Left 4 Dead. (though that game actually had bots) I'm glad you pointed that out Vinraith, I was mildly interested until I saw that.

I don't know where people are getting that it requires 8 people to start a race online, but it doesn't. I just played a bunch of races this morning with 2,3, and 4 other people in a number of races. You can start as long as 2 people are in the race lobby.

db1331
01-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I'll tell you a great racing game from N64 that I wish would come back. Extreme-G. With today's draw-distance, I bet they could make some amazing tracks.

Wooly Wugga Wugga
01-12-2011, 04:48 PM
So is this anything like Plane Crazy (http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/153/153549p1.html)?

Because I loved Plane Crazy back in the day. Also, does it have a fully fledged single player component?

Net_Bastard
02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I played it and I don't see the hype in it. It was mediocre at best and downright frustrating at worst. Never mind that the game is locked at 30fps EVEN WHEN FRAPS SHOWS 60.