PDA

View Full Version : Worst Songs/Albums/Films/Books of the year

Lambchops
04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm loathe to start a similar topic about games as I feel i've heard all the bitching before but why not start one about everying else and get some quality moaning going! I'm pretty much going to keep it to music, mostly stuff I've been subjected to thanks to working in a lab and listening to the radio occasionally. Some of these may actually have come out last year, I've honestly no idea that's how often they KEEP BLOODY PLAYING THEM!

Any song featuring the lyric "on the floor"

As I was working in a lab when I mused on this and feel that at least leads some kind of scientific weight to me adding an an adendum to the theory that 90% of songs mentioning "the club" are shite. Namely that any song mentioning "the floor" is also shite, as well as nigh on guranteed to have a high chart placing and repeated radio play. I have yet to test this theory with a song called "Jeremy Dyson's Vacuum Club" but I'm firmly convinced it will be a smash hit. Don't know why anyone would go to a club these days anyway, they pretty much always seem to be "on fire," just sounds dangerous to me.

Mann ft 50 Cent - Buzzing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLfI8YJvIgc&feature=related

Frankly the 10 seconds it took me to shut this tripe up after finding the link was 10 seconds too many. Indeed it was part of an axis of weirdly bee obsessed and incredibly annoying songs this year along with the possibly even more vile Black and Yellow by Wiz khalifa (which i'm not dignifying with a link). What's that you say? It's about his car is it? Well frankly it could be about the colour of his little man after picking up a nasty disease for all I care, it's still not going to erase itself from my mind.

One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful

Largely because the bloody songwriters know what they are doing. That hook in the chorus just sticks in your head all bloody day if you have the misfortune to hear it. There should be laws against that sort of catchiness.

David Guetta - Little Bad Girl ft. Taio Cruz, Ludacris

The horrid intro, the ubiquitous David Guetta sound we all got bored of months ago, the autotune, Ludacris; it's already a receipe for horror. However instead of just turning the damn thing off or putting in ear plugs I feel compelled to listen purely because of the way Taio Cruz says "AAAAUUUR" and then "THEEUUUR." I mean seriously Taio, "air" and "there" already rhyme, you don't have to force it and make it sound like something unearthly.

Ed Sheeran - The A Team

it's the "crumbling like pastries lyric" that does it. Oh no wait, it's that he's ridiculously dull. Oops silly me.

Bruno Mars or Glee (hard to say which is worse) - I Want to Marry You

It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do, hey baby . . . i think I want to gag the people singing this song and possibly do something nasty to their vocal chords or failing that just go out on the lash and try and kill enough brain cells that I can forget I ever heard this sacchirine horrible piece of crap.

LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem

I can almost excuse this on the basis of seeing some incredibly bad drunken dancing to this song that made me absolutely crack up. Almost . . . but not quite.

Lou Reed and Metallica

Seriously who the hell let that happen? Horrible.

Any pop or R & B song that inserted some "random dubstep noises"

This does not make you cool or trendy. It's especially incongruous when you've still got that "90s euro dance" backing track that's all the rage at the minute. I'm not a fan of dubstep but I'm still feel it's a bad representation of the genre so I shudder to think what people who like dubstep think about their genre being shat over.

Anything by Viva Brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFO3ny2FKY&ob=av2e

i wanted to feel sorry for these guys as they seemed to be critics whipping boys. Turned out that it was for a reason, they really are shockingly derivative and boring. Not to mention sounding like twats in interviews.

Limp Bizkit - Shotgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFO3ny2FKY&ob=av2e

Least anticipated comeback of 2011 anyone.

----

Finally don't dare anyone criticise Friday! It's brilliant I say! Genius! The creepy rapper, the beyond terrible lyrics, the woeful dancing, the vocals, the wave of parodies . . . if they all don't put a smile on your face then nothing will!

Lambchops
04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Oh dear lord I managed to forget about Jessie J while writing that! I guess I can always hope she was a figment of my imagination. Price Tag just makes me skin crawl, plus it suggests she has absolutely no sense of irony. MANDEM!

Pertusaria
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I empathise, having also worked in a lab and had to listen to bad radio.

My least favourite is probably The Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling", which probably does mention the floor at some point - I like your suggestion of a rule-of-thumb. That was released in 2009, apparently - no idea why it's still being played, but maybe people request it.

I can't really comment on 2011 things, oddly enough - of films, I've only seen Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which wasn't great, but wasn't all that bad. Maybe I'll know in a few years when these things start turning up on television / radio, or the next time I fly trans-Atlantic.

Lambchops
04-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh snap, that's the same as one of the two films I've seen (the other being Super 8, which was also merely alright).

I've heard Twilight is absolutely horrendous but I have no desire to go and confirm this for myself!

Nalano
04-12-2011, 08:00 PM
My least favourite is probably The Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling", which probably does mention the floor at some point - I like your suggestion of a rule-of-thumb. That was released in 2009, apparently - no idea why it's still being played, but maybe people request it.

My teeth grate whenever that shit pops up on the radio. It doesn't help that it's horribly repetitive, even by pop standards.

LaunchJC
04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Anything by Drake.

Althea
04-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Anything that's on the popular radio. They're all crap, all the "tunes" by your Lady Gar-Gars or your Jessie Hays or your Justine Beavers, or those daft songs about having Shoes Like A Jagger.

Give me BBC Radio 4, Radio 4 Extra or Radio Scotland any day.

coldvvvave
04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
No one mentioned anything I like. Boring.

Let's hear Wizardry's opinion on the subject.

Nalano
04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Let's hear Wizardry's opinion on the subject.

But we're talking about stuff made this year.

westyfield
04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Anything that's on the popular radio. They're all crap, all the "tunes" by your Lady Gar-Gars or your Jessie Hays or your Justine Beavers, or those daft songs about having Shoes Like A Jagger.

Agreed. If it's on Radio 1, it'll be awful. Without wishing to sound like Admiral Grumpytrousers, I hate pretty much all popular music, with the exception of Florence + The Machine.

Scumbag
04-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I've possibly heard all thing things from Lambchops' post, but bar the Metallica and Lou Reed thing (which is bloody horrible) I couldent put a name to any of them.
Old man syndrome.

Let's hear Wizardry's opinion on the subject
2011 was not an RPG is possibly the answer.

Xercies
04-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I actually like Lady Gaga for some danceble pop. LMFAO though should die in a club fire.

I think the worst song ive heard this year is Cher Lloyds Swagger Jagger it is abdolute nails to your ears terrible and doednt deserve to be linked to.

The worst song which has a hook that gets into your head and never leaves is Move like Jagger by Maroon 5. God is that annoyingly catchy.

Not watched many films that have come out this year and i tend to avoid ones i know im going to dislike. Same with books.

tossrStu
05-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Much as I liked The Fame and Fame Monster, Gaga's new album was bloody awful. "Don't be a drag, just be a queen" is the kind of tries-and-fails-to-be-deep rubbish wordplay that sets my teeth on edge and has to be a strong contender for Worst Lyric of 2011. And Judas was fucking woeful; a tenth-rate retread of Bad Romance (which is an AMAZING pop song and I'll fight anyone who say otherwise) with Gaga's current fixation with Christianity clumsily shoehorned into it. YES OKAY YOU THINK YOU'RE THE NEW MADONNAS WE GET IT THANKS now go away and learn how to make songs as good as Just Dance please THANK YOU

Also, while I wouldn't says it's anything like the "worst" album of the year, the new Mastodon one was a HUGE let-down, following the trend of most of my favourite metal acts releasing slightly underwhelming albums over the last year or two (Torche, Black Tusk, Kylesa, I'M LOOKING AT YOU) but cranking the disappointment up to 11. Seriously, it's utter BUMS and nowhere near as good as any of their other albums.

Ian
12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
No one mentioned anything I like. Boring.

I hated everything, everything that you liked this year.

Oh yeah, I went there!

Keep
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
"Don't be a drag, just be a queen" is the kind of tries-and-fails-to-be-deep rubbish wordplay that sets my teeth on edge and has to be a strong contender for Worst Lyric of 2011.

I think it's just meant to be goofy/dumb/basically meaningless. You gotta take your Gaga like your Queen: tongue in cheek.

But yeah the shoehorned Christianity bits are tiresome.

'Moves Like Jagger', I do. Not. Like.

Then again, he's getting the legacy he deserves. Just don't touch Keef.

Skalpadda
12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm happy to say I haven't heard a single song mentioned in this thread. Getting rid of the TV and not listening to radio any more has been a blessing.

Codor
13-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Also work in a lab, but I had the sense to invest in headphones and an mp3 player so I have yet to properly hear this year's crop of shite :P. In fairness it's a london lab so it's normally XFM or Absolute radio, which while bad are not eardrum-tearing terrible. However, Ed Sheeran's mock authenticity and utter shitness make me want to end music, having only read various appalling lyrics...