PDA

View Full Version : Snooker

Drake Sigar
06-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Any Snooker buffs around? I'm a casual fan, having watched a lot of Pot Black in my childhood. I even wore Snooker waistcoats on non-school uniform days (still have the bruises to prove it). The UK Championship is on BB2 and blimey, Judd Trump was sure lucky on that pink.

Lambchops
06-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Love it, but alas haven't really had time to watch much of the UK championship.

Shame that the debate over Barry Hearn's running of the game is starting to become more of a story than the tournament. Personally I think he has done a good job, some of the shortform matches have worked well but I'm on the side of Higgins that the likes of the UK should be best of 17, there's just something gloriously compelling about a nice long snooker match.

Hope to see Williams do well in this tournament, his resurgence has been excellent to watch (being a parochial Scot in my younger days I was never a fan of Williams as he was a big rival to Hendry but nowadays I've mellowed a bit and support him as one of the old guard!). Hopefully will have time catch some of it later in the week.

Definitely thinking of going to the Cruicible again at some point, went to see a session a couple of years back and would like to go for a full day now that I'm staying down south.

Always a game i've a lot of respect for, the pros just make it looks so easy when anyone who has tried to play it know it is a long way away from that!

Drake Sigar
17-12-2011, 12:06 PM
The lack of Snooker fever disturbs me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7qY1TVnAY

Lambchops
17-12-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BliAPzEsao0

It makes me sad that this is in a list of 100 really bad songs!

Gerbick
17-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Love snooker. Go the the Worlds Champs every year for a few of the early rounds. Stupidly, depsite living in York, didn't organise myself enought to get the the UK champs.

And Snooker Loopy is aces.

Drake Sigar
17-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Love it, but alas haven't really had time to watch much of the UK championship.

Shame that the debate over Barry Hearn's running of the game is starting to become more of a story than the tournament. Personally I think he has done a good job, some of the shortform matches have worked well but I'm on the side of Higgins that the likes of the UK should be best of 17, there's just something gloriously compelling about a nice long snooker match.

Thankfully the controversy surrounding Mark Allen's comments quickly melted in the face of superb Snooker. I think the short matches are more entertaining but aren't necessarily appropriate for determining the best player. Still, Snooker is getting huge over in China and Japan, so something has to change. (Sorry I took so long to reply)

Lately I can't get the image of violent Snooker manga out of my head.