PDA

View Full Version : Board Games

TimA
08-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Who plays them? Who wants to play them?

And card games too!

I've been hankering after playing some board games for months, mainly thanks to Mr Florence and his excellent DowntimeTown videos, followed by the Cardboard Children articles. A few weeks ago I bought some, and me and my girlfriend play most weekends. Great fun.

I bought Castle Ravenloft, which seems like a great introduction and we're finding lots of fun, and the miniatures are fantastic. Carcassone, a beautiful and elegant tile-laying game. Plus Munchkin and Race for the Galaxy, which I seem to be finally getting the hang of.

Currently really looking forward to the reprinting of War of the Ring, which I believe is due around September.

However, this stuff is addictive.

I had been lusting after a certain game for a while.

Today I received it in the post, still in its cellophane wrap.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2801/5812100083_245e7f07e9_z.jpg

It is stunning.

squareking
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
My father-in-law has stacks of boardgames, mostly war-themed. He recently picked up Washington's War from GMT Games and we had a runthrough this past weekend -- highly enjoyable. Hannibal is next, I believe. We've also done Hammer of the Scots, War of 1812 and a handful of others.

Besides those, we + the family go through some European standards like Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, etc. There's a boardgame version of Advance Wars that I'd like to print out and play at some point. And I'd reeeeeally like to get into stuff like Space Hulk with him.

And, PC related: I bought Frozen Synapse and gave him a copy, though we haven't duked it out yet. In summary, he's pretty awesome. Most of the board game geeks around here are, well, just that.

Oh! As for card games, I have a bunch of Magic cards. I got rid of 99% of my collection sometime in grade school, but I got the fiancee into it a few years ago and we've built a decent pile.

SMiD
08-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Castle Ravenloft is a ton of fun, and I highly recommend it. It's pretty simple to get the hang of and the multiple scenarios are (for the most part) excellent. My brothers and I play whenever we have a chance to get together. The game does hate you though. It makes that very clear.

What I'd like to know is: is there a suitable replacement out there for Axis & Allies? I've had it for years and I'd like to see if there's anything that's comparable.

pakoito
08-06-2011, 08:52 PM
In the last forum I made a thread about playing Vassal (boardgame engine) online every now and then, but not that many people stood up to play :(

Sceptrum
08-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Sadly I have no friends here who want to play boardgames or they find Risk and Monopoly to be advanced boardgames.

Have Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition (never played it, but it was worth every penny), Axis&Allies Pacific 1940 (good enough game, but was still a bit disappointed. Obvious lack of plastic bits, poor quality on some things and the rulesbook was unclear on some key points), World of Warcraft boardgame (dont know why I bought it...complex rules and much downtime when playing), American Civil War (by Eagle Games) and Game of Thrones boardgame (among my favourites ever made).

Spacewalk
09-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Castle Ravenloft is a ton of fun, and I highly recommend it. It's pretty simple to get the hang of and the multiple scenarios are (for the most part) excellent. My brothers and I play whenever we have a chance to get together. The game does hate you though. It makes that very clear.

Ravenloft is very good but I wouldn't recommend it since Wrath Of Ashardalon is out and that's even better. It hates you in an entirely new way with enemies that force you to lay new tiles down or poison you which is a really swell time when you've got both kinds in your face, noone is playing as the Cleric and the Red Dragon shows up and starts breathing fire every turn because you are terribly unlucky at shuffling cards. A big table is required because it will fill up with tiles surprisingly quickly.

squareking
09-06-2011, 12:17 AM
In the last forum I made a thread about playing Vassal (boardgame engine) online every now and then, but not that many people stood up to play :(

Hadn't heard of this -- looks awesome! We should set something up, though I'd have some rulebook leafing to do beforehand, no doubt.

JayTee
09-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Managed to get my friends totally hooked on Battlestar Galactica, which now takes place roughly once a week. We love the scheming, the backstabbing, the really excellent mechanics, and the hilarious fun of simply accusing everyone of being a cylon. With both expansion packs we've barely even touched the surface of the various variant gameplay setups, and so far we're finding it pretty even as to whether humans or cylons win.

Last match I screwed up a skill-check and revealed I was a cylon to one other player but managed to convince the other two players that I was human. Managed to stay hidden for another few turns, messing up a few critical skill-checks and eventually revealed myself fully, shot the admiral in the face, and started screwing them over with the cylon fleet. Genius game, love it.

pl4t0
09-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Used to be a big WH40k (dabbled in Fantasy) player, but then Games Workshop, er, changed. They moved out of my area - Massachusetts - jacked their prices and became less friendly over all overnight.

Does Chess count as a board game? It is played on a board after all. I love Chess. But then I love Starcraft, so there's probably some sort of relationship there.

TheLastBaron
09-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I dont think there's much of a relation between SC and chess, well maybe speed chess. I like boardgames, but all my friends hate them so it's a bit of a problem.

Spacewalk
09-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I've heard that there's a Starcraft board game, maybe that's worth a look-in.

cwoac
09-06-2011, 09:35 AM
The starcraft game is not for the faint hearted. It does do a decent job of capturing the feel, but its quite abstract in that respect. Also fairly slow. One thing I am told is that (just like the original), its noticably better with broodwar...

riadsala
09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Managed to get my friends totally hooked on Battlestar Galactica, which now takes place roughly once a week. We love the scheming, the backstabbing, the really excellent mechanics, and the hilarious fun of simply accusing everyone of being a cylon. With both expansion packs we've barely even touched the surface of the various variant gameplay setups, and so far we're finding it pretty even as to whether humans or cylons win.

Last match I screwed up a skill-check and revealed I was a cylon to one other player but managed to convince the other two players that I was human. Managed to stay hidden for another few turns, messing up a few critical skill-checks and eventually revealed myself fully, shot the admiral in the face, and started screwing them over with the cylon fleet. Genius game, love it.

+1. Its my current fav board game too. The only tricky bit is explaining it quickly and concisely to new players... it's not really that complicated but the humans need to play well and make the most out of any available perks in order to win.

there's a BSG module on Vassal....

Vexing Vision
09-06-2011, 10:06 AM
The starcraft game is not for the faint hearted. It does do a decent job of capturing the feel, but its quite abstract in that respect. Also fairly slow. One thing I am told is that (just like the original), its noticably better with broodwar...

The Starcraft Boardgame is surprisingly good. However, in a four or five player game, the Zerg will lose because not being able to keep up with any air units the other races will throw at them after a while.

The Broodwar expansion is supposed to work wonders on that (I'll get mine at the next Spiel 2011 - Europe's largest boardgame fair in Essen).

That said, congratulations to Space Hulk, and welcome to the gaming family. :)

Xercies
09-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I really want to play some board games, Cosmic encounters, Battlestar Galactica and Chaos of the old world really appeal to me but i have no one really to play with so i can't really justify the price of buying them which is a shame. I would love to have a regular of playing these kind of board games, and some P&P RPGs as well.

Temple
09-06-2011, 03:56 PM
People put locations in your profile!
Am on hols for next couple of weeks, then I return to London and WILL forget that I am a social misfit and get some games going.
Maybe.

Along the lines of Vassal is ZunTzu

I have a few games and would like to get something regular together if I can find no alchohol, no smoking, no cheetos people to play with. Ok, I'm relaxed about the alchohol (keep it away from the table) and the smoking (outside only) but touch the cheetos and then touch my cards and well.... oh I'm a very very weak person so that 'well' would be a huffy pique and a raised eyebrow.

From what I have:
Race for the Galaxy is all kinds of brilliant. Battlelore/Memoir 44 are great for adversarial 2 player combat.
Runebound and WOW the adventure game are good for fantasy romps.
Starcraft (not played) and Twilight Imperium (twas good, you get to build a deathstar)
Have an old unpainted spacehulk, Space Crusade and D&D boardgame.
A few Euros like Goa, Hansa, Queen of Thebes -that are alrighty but I definitely prefer figures and dice rolling.
Few simple two player card games (Jambo was fun with my ex, but not sure it would be with strangers)
Whole bunch of unpunched hex wargames. Must ebay them soon.
I play WOW the boardgame solo, so no downtime :)

Vexing Vision
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Putting locations in profile is a bit tricky in this forum

That said, if anyone's in Berlin, Germany, and fancies an occasional boardgame extravaganza, pm me pronto. (Most of my boardgames are in English, even German ones like Agricola.)

JohnnyK
09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
If you are into playing mainstream boardgames online: http://brettspielwelt.de/?nation=en

My wife and 2 friends of ours (who live 2 hours away) often play Tichu, Dog or Dominion there while talking on Skype.

As for classic board games - Settlers of Catan is still the greatest thing since sliced bread (as long as the "Cities and Knights" expansion is used).

Putting locations in profile is a bit tricky in this forum
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

thomwong
09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Currently Puerto Rico is our game of obsession, although when we want a quick fun round we always reach for Ticket to Ride. And when we have 5 hours and a high pain threshold, we go to Arkham Horror.

Temple
11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Hmmm, few more details Randy?
Basic one I can think of is Village of Fear and possibly some of the others in that series. Move figures and battle through a village to take a big bad on in his castle at the end.

BaronWR
13-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Doh!! I had completely missed this thread and started a different one in the wrong bit of the forum... Oh Well. Playing a fair bit of Arkham horror and BSG at the moment: definitely a fan of stupidly complicated co-op games. Trying to find games that I enjoy as much but don't take most of a day.

TheLastBaron
28-06-2011, 03:26 AM
I've been playing Stone Age recently and it's super fun. If you haven't heard of it, t's a worker placement game like Agricola or Le Havre which are also excellent. I still haven't gotten around to picking up Dominion, but I think it might happen soon.

8-bit
06-07-2011, 08:09 PM
So I finally moved into the world of more interesting board games a few weeks ago, gone were monopoly and risk, in was...catan. Ok, fair enough, its not exactly the most complex game but it was a hell of a lot of fun and didn't take forever to finish so its a winner in my book. Interesting story, on our first game I was the only one who knew the rules and I still came last on points :/

we also wanted another game so we weren't playing the same one all the time, so we bought Wrath of Ashardalon (40 over here, 30 from america, figure that one out :?). anyway before we start playing I wanted to know the rules and I think I have just about got it apart from one thing. There is a card called 'Ashardalon Arrives' which I drew during my practice game, it says it cant be cancelled and unlike other adventure cards, it doesn't mention a quest you have to be playing for it to be activated. I played as though it were allowed, the big bad dragon showed up (just as I found the exit and was fighting the boss) and chomped down on my poor dwarfs head before I was transported away, then I was ganged up on by legion devil before being killed by a Grell :[ . But that cant be right can it, it cant just show up unless you are playing an adventure which says so can it? Not on my first ever game, not when I just reached the exit because, well, that's just not fair.

TimA
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't have WoA, but Castle Ravenloft, so I can't be sure. Was that a monster card you drew or an encounter?

To be honest, it isn't necessarily too bad a thing. After getting used to the rules and learning how to play properly, we've found the Castle Ravenloft scenerios a little bit too easy to complete using the standard rules. But of course that all depends on what cards you draw. Fuck traps, they are evil. (Fucking traps...)

Give it a few more goes, it will work out. You'll beat a scenario easily then play it again and get murdered, all good fun.

8-bit
06-07-2011, 10:47 PM
it was an encounter card and it had adventure written on the top, which I think means they are only used in a few adventures, but I looked through the adventure book and none of them say you need that card, which made me think that it really is a card that can come up in any adventure. I don't mean to sound like I am complaining because I think we will have a lot of fun playing, but, it was my first game ever and the big bad dragon (the model is more than three times as tall as an adventurer) shows up to say hi.

Spacewalk
07-07-2011, 05:16 AM
On page 4 of the rulebook it's listed as one of the components that you set aside until it's required by an adventure, although as you said, where in the adventure book does it tell you when. I've found that there is a certain amount of assumption needed in the two D&D games so you should probably just use them in the adventures where it tells you that the Big Bad makes an appearance. Or do what I do and have them in every adventure because I feel that the game doesn't beat you down enough. You are running around his joint killing his minions and stealing his shinies so he's probably going to take umbrage towards that.

As for other dungeon crawlers I bought Descent a few days ago despite not having anyone to play it with. I just had to, it was sitting there on the shelf tempting me and they didn't have the Lord Of the Rings card game and any of the expansions which is what I was intending to buy (Cardboard Children strikes again). I have nowhere to store it so I've got it across 2 stools and am using it as a coffee table for the interim until I work something out. Somehow I don't regret my purchase. I suppose that I could just think up some solo rules for it but it looks quite complex, it might be too much of an ask.

TheLastBaron
07-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Anyone here ever use BrettSpielWelt? My friends all suck so I've been playing games on there, it's a website with a java client where you can play lots of games like Catan, Stone Age, Agricola, Carcassone, Dominion and a lot more. It's German based but a lot of the people who play it speak English.

TimA
07-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Never tried BrettSpielWelt but I've heard good things about it. Since it was posted here, I have used ZunTzu to play Carcassonne online. It has a really lovely client, including integrated voice chat. Works great.

8-bit
07-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I've found that there is a certain amount of assumption needed in the two D&D games so you should probably just use them in the adventures where it tells you that the Big Bad makes an appearance.

that makes sense, I have also found that several cards simply aren't suited to a single player game (encounter cards that deal damage every turn if you aren't on a tile with another hero). I think I will sort through and figure out which cards are suitable to use in each adventure so we aren't drawing out cards we have no way of dealing with, I want the game to be fun after all.

tbh I am kind of glad I played a few practice rounds and got some potential problems out of the way before I start playing with anyone else. in the long run it will mean less stress for everyone in a game I hope to be playing for a long time.

edit: erm, well this is kind of worrying but the game is supposed to have 42 models isn't it, because I am only counting 39 and no Kobold dragonshield.

Kelron
09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Can anyone recommend some 2-3 player board games I could play with my dad and brother? Ideally they need to take 1-2 hours to play and have fairly simple rules. Heavy fantasy themes would probably put them off, also. I get bored (ha ha) of the standard catalogue of family board games, although they enjoy playing Risk and Monopoly.

Temple
10-07-2011, 08:46 AM
2-player war game I would heavily recommend is Memoir '44.
I adore the fantasy version Battelore and when I got to demo it to a few rpsers at our social meet up they all had good things to say about it (Rab may cover Battles of Westeros soon which is the updated version of Battlelore -sort of, as it different rules etc)

Memoir '44 uses the same mechanics, but in WWII. You have tanks, infantry and artillery. It may look overwhelming when set up, but your orders are limited by cards and you only have a few cards in your hand which say things like 'activate 3 units on your left flank'.
Games play under an hour, so play a scenario. Then flip it around and play the opposing -or get a game in with each.

As much as I loath suggesting giving Risk any more money there are more variants of Risk out there if you can bear playing them. Risk Tactics is, I think, the latest version out which is supposed to offer more strategy and quicker play.

When it comes down to it, games are great if played with the right people, so if you are lucky enough to have a group then anything works.

EndelNurk
10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Memoir '44 is a fantastic two-player game as Temple says. It's a war game with simple enough rules that anybody could get into it. It's also infinitely expandable. If you're enjoying the base game then you could go on to fight campaigns on the Eastern Front, Mediterranean, Pacific and more. You can give the game a try online at the manufacturer's site here (http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/).

Finding games that are great for three people is a little more tricky. Dominion and Pandemic work well with two or three (They're only on my mind as they're ones in my collection). Having a co-op game might be interesting for your family. It can, however, be problematic if one player tries to take over and tells everybody else where they should be sending their pawns. I haven't ever seen that event, but I know others who are very disillusioned with the game for that reason. Possibly Settlers of Catan? You can't really play it with fewer than three players but it's a classic game.

Links to demo/review videos here for Dominion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ENsEhRbVIM), Pandemic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5V8q-Su8iM) and Settlers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTV03kCoDIw).

TheLastBaron
10-07-2011, 08:22 PM
One more thing, DOminion, Pandemic, and Settlers are all on BrettSpielWelt so you can try them for free and see if they're the kind of game you would be interested in. Maybe we could get a couple more people from here and do an RPS game, which would be more inviting than trying out a game for the first time with a bunch of random people from the internet who may or may not be German.

zuddy
10-07-2011, 10:08 PM
A light wargame like Nexus Ops is always fun with odd numbers of people. I would also look into a cooperative game like Pandemic or Space Alert (more the latter than the former).

TheLastBaron
10-07-2011, 11:55 PM
http://shutupshow.tumblr.com/
YES!

Temple
11-07-2011, 01:32 PM
@Last -oh that is dangerous to my financial wellbeing.
You know what I suddenly realise? I realise I really need roborally to fulfill my spiritual needs. And that karate game and ... well time to watch the video because I'm sure every other game Quinns mentions I will to need.

EndelNurk
11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I've ordered Citadels already. I don't think I agree with Quinns in general, for example none of the not-Cardboard Children games appealed to me at all, but the way they discussed Citadels made it sound fantastic.

TheLastBaron
11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah I'm probably going to pick up Citadel myself, it seems really interesting and I'd love to have a game that I could play with both only one other person or in a group of 7 people.

Oak
21-07-2011, 06:03 AM
I walk a lonely road, the only one that I have ever known. That's why I decided to try out a solitaire board game tonight. It was Ottoman Sunset, a modest game which came in a baggy, in which you must hold off the encroaching Entente powers during the empire's real-life last days. It's a challenge, very well-paced (or maybe I'm just good at shuffling cards?), but I'm not sure how much strategy is actually involved.

Any other solo recommendations are welcome.

EndelNurk
21-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Pandemic (yes, I will mention it every time) works okay as a solitaire game. It's not designed for it but it's a coop game against the game system so you can try it. Just pick two characters and play them both yourself. Death Angel should work as well as the genestealers are not run by another player but move based on game rules. It's brutal but fun if you like that sort of thing. This guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUdCglQgH98&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL) isn't so keen though and he seems to be a fan of Ottoman Sunset.

Have just got Citadels. It really doesn't work as a solo :( but looks like it will be fantastic.

Vexing Vision
21-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Any other solo recommendations are welcome.

I love an occasional solo game of Magic Realm. Sadly, I usually die within the first 25% of the game, which makes the gameplay a lot shorter than the set up. :)

Temple
21-07-2011, 10:45 AM
@Oak I cannot find the exact one I was looking for on BGG. I thought it was Squad something-or-other; basically take command of a group of troops and play out a card scenario in WWII.
Closest I can find is a similar space version http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66781/space-infantry

Hold on Frontline might be what I was thinking of http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39383/frontline-d-day

Or 54 pages of them on BGG :) http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/5666/solitaire-games

I'll echo Vex, not for magic realm as the level of dying is silly and so I stick with it on pc (just threw away my printed off instructions actually in my last clear out), but in trying other non-solo games solo.
I'm not a big fan of solo, as it normally feels like a puzzle which is not my thing.
I play WOW: the boardgame solo and really like it -so much so that I probably wont play it with a group. Then again Runebound does not work for me solo.
I'm thinking of getting Arkham Horror for solo play as well, but hope to try it out first somewhere.

Olero
05-09-2012, 08:20 AM
After dusting off half the RPS-forum, I was suprised this thread was the only thread I found that's about boardgames (without trying to meet up with others). So, since I found it, I might as well use it :)

Is anyone of you here familiar with Merchants & Marauders? I've recently read a review of this game on Shut Up & Sit Down, and watched some youtube video's, but... Is the game really as fun to play as I think it is?? And what is the average playtime? (for example we manage to drag games of Catan on for hours sometimes, despite the box saying it's 90 minutes of play). And fianally, what is the target audience? Can I play it with my folks or does this game need a certain level of "geek" (read: play with a carefully chosen group of friends)?

I also own the, in my opinion, great game Small World for a few months now. And I've noticed there are a lot of expansions available. Are they worth it? Or do they imbalance the game?

Jesus_Phish
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm a fan of Talisman. Hard to get a group together but always fun when you do. I'm looking at some of the expansions soon.

I'd recommend the Gears of War board game as it's actually rather good and can be a challenge. The cards as life system works well and when you're staring down at two or three boomers and you've only two cards in your hand things can get scary. Set up of the board can take some time, but what games like this don't? Can be played solo too.

Also Munchkin.

Ravelle
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Munchkin is heaps of fun and hatred ( in a good way!)

Here's a list of boardgames/Card games I have in possession.

Card Games
Munchkin Core, Booty and Chtulhu
Magic The Gathering
Penny Arcade - Paint The Line
Penny Arcade The Game Gamers vs Evil
Yes, My Overlord!
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre

Boardgames
Arkham Horror
Smallworld
Colonists of Catan
Dungeon Lords
Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy roleplaying game ( red box )
Dungeons & Dragons The legend of Drizzt
Wiz-War
Puerto Rico

Dice Games
Zombie Dice
Chtulhu Dice

Will write up some experiences when I'm less beat.

Olero
25-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Just bought Dixit, based on Shut up & sit down (http://www.shutupshow.com/post/12883940828/review-dixit) (with ex-RPS Quinns). Absolute lovely game that really gets you inside other peoples head... Turns out I'm pretty good at doing that :). As opposed to Small world,which we played next. I bloody hate the skellingtons in that game.

I also bought Merchants & Marauders (curse you, SU&SD (http://www.shutupshow.com/post/18071014124/review-merchants-marauders)!). But I only unpacked all stuff so far, and gave the manual a quick look. Looks mighty fine, but also a tad bit complex. Best practice a game on my own before even trying to explain the rules to other people, or I might scare them away :)

Logan Booker
27-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Shadowrifts isn't too bad, especially if you like entirely co-op games. The set-up time is a little ridiculous, but nowhere near as bad as Arkham Horror.

Wayward_Ronin
27-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I've been getting back into boardgaming and picked up some solo/co-op friendly games over the last few months.

Thunderstone is a great solo game with a nice balance of deckbuilding, luck and judgment. I'm looking forward to picking up some expansions to open it out a little. The manual that comes with Thunderstone is pretty awful though, and I had to check out a couple of videos on BGG to make sure I was playing it correctly.

Pandemic and Ghost Storiesboth work well solo too. I control two players for Pandemic and all four monks for Ghost Stories. They're both great games with a nice tough difficulty level, and they're definately games that I'd recommend to anyone.

I haven't been able to get on with Elder Sign at all. It just doesn't seem to be a well designed game. I'm happy with dice-heavy games, but this seems to be one where momentum counts too much. Start with some good rolls and build up some equipment and you'll probably steamroll it. Some bad initial rolls and it's a struggle. The instructions are truly awful as well.

Dungeonquest is good fun, especially if you're the sort of player who gets into the theme of thing and imagines yourself in the character's boots. You have to take it in the right spirit (that it's horribly unfair). The only problem with it is that there are so many components and it takes so bloody long to unpack and pack up again. Especially considering that you can be dead within five minutes. Oh, and the combat system is a bit meh. The solo combat rules take away the individualism of the characters and makes it a bit bland.

internetonsetadd
10-11-2012, 11:43 PM
I got Twilight Struggle and Earth Reborn earlier this year, and just picked up Netrunner, along with Agricola and Dominion for when we're more than two. I recently received a certain controversial card game that was briefly on Kickstarter, which I got mostly because I like offensive oddities. The game itself doesn't seem that great. I also Kickstarted Democracy: Majority Rules. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

pakoito
10-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Just saw Kingdom Builder discounted to 30€. Too bad it was in German :(

Goateh
12-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Just saw Kingdom Builder discounted to 30€. Too bad it was in German :(

It has absolutely no text ingame, everything is based on symbols. You can print the rules online in English then use a German copy just fine. All you'll need is the reference of what each special and scoring tile does, which is something you read once per game.

pakoito
12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Hmmmmm abstract euro game. Doesn't sound that great now :/

Bankrotas
20-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I do enjoy boardgames, but I enjoy them because my friends also enjoy them. I find boardgames not really as fun to play with strangers at some place.

Hensler
01-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Anybody know any good board gaming websites/blogs/portals I can add to my feed? Carboard Children and Shut Up & Sit Down have got me back into board gaming, and I'd like to find a great site/community to get my fix - Rab once a week isn't enough :) . Is there a site that does for board games what RPS has done for PC gaming?

Shadin
02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
The sites I frequent the most are BoardGameGeek (http://www.boardgamegeek.com) and CardGameDB (http://www.cardgamedb.com), the latter being focused on Living Card Cames. If there are other great sites for this I'd love to hear about them, as tabletop games have become about even with PC gaming for me now.
(http://www.boardgamegeek.com)

NinebreakerN7
24-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Hmmm. Seems like this is the only board games thread that's not buried, so I'll ask here -- Anyone know if any company, etc ever put out something like HeroQuest? I played it when I was a kid, and really enjoyed it. Wonder if anything out there is similar now.

Shadin
24-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Hmmm. Seems like this is the only board games thread that's not buried, so I'll ask here -- Anyone know if any company, etc ever put out something like HeroQuest? I played it when I was a kid, and really enjoyed it. Wonder if anything out there is similar now.

It's much more complex, but I played HeroQuest as a kid and have really enjoyed Descent recently.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=176&enmi=Descent:%20Journeys%20in%20the%20Dark%20Secon d%20Edition

NinebreakerN7
24-12-2012, 10:55 PM
It's much more complex, but I played HeroQuest as a kid and have really enjoyed Descent recently.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=176&enmi=Descent:%20Journeys%20in%20the%20Dark%20Secon d%20Edition

Much appreciated for the heads-up! It does look very similar. :D

Winged Nazgul
24-12-2012, 11:22 PM
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/542412/looking-for-a-game-like-hero-quest/page/1
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/454590.page

Jesus_Phish
24-12-2012, 11:45 PM
I do enjoy boardgames, but I enjoy them because my friends also enjoy them. I find boardgames not really as fun to play with strangers at some place.

Same. I don't like playing games when you end up against strangers where one or more of them are not in it for the fun of the game but the fun of winning.

I've been looking for a good LCG to get into recently, never played one before but there's something appealing about them. Would like to get one that works well with 2 players but can also be expanded to work with more.

LowKey
25-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Netrunner and the lord of the rings lcg are both really good

NinebreakerN7
26-12-2012, 08:30 PM
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/542412/looking-for-a-game-like-hero-quest/page/1
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/454590.page

Much appreciated, Wing - That has pointed me in a much needed direction. :)

Xercies
27-12-2012, 01:35 PM
I have to say The Resistance is probably the most fun game I've ever played, though if you don't like argueing you might not like it. Basically you are part of a future resistance against a government unfortunatly some people are spies and you have to go on missions. The beuty of the game is the accusations of who should go on the mision, and of course the reveal at the end when you find out who actually is the spies.

Moraven
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Need to pick up the Romulan expansion to Star Fleet Captains. Until have the spare change, need to replace the base game with the different cloaking rules. Have played 3 times, one I tried to go with a cloak and ambush, but did not quite work as well.

Mage Knight is a lot of fun. Have done a solo and 2 person co op. Look forward to the expansion coming soon.

Played The Resistance. Simple fun group card game. Lots of laughs and smiles.

archonsod
06-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Need to pick up the Romulan expansion to Star Fleet Captains. Until have the spare change, need to replace the base game with the different cloaking rules. Have played 3 times, one I tried to go with a cloak and ambush, but did not quite work as well.

Use cloaking to control the Federation player rather than to attack. If you're going to use cloaking for anything but avoiding retaliatory attacks you want to cloak multiple vessels and spawn as many sensor echoes as you can. What you want to do is force the Federation player to form up into task forces to prevent you picking off lone ships with a multi-ship ambush.
The main advantage the Federation has is that their mission draws will always be heavily skewed towards things like sensor sweeps and away team missions, which can be quickly and easily completed by a single ship and quite often without having to get anywhere near your side of the board. As the Klingons you need to prevent this as soon as possible, otherwise it's not unusual to see the Feds half way to victory before you've even got to their half of the board. Once you've slowed their scoring down you have the luxury of being able to wait for the perfect hand before picking and choosing your battles.

NinebreakerN7
20-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Okay, another question board-gamers:

With Descent: Journeys into the Dark... is the second edition still okay? I haven't played either, and it seems like the first edition is unavailable now. It still looks like fun, but I'm curious what others think of the new edition.

Jesus_Phish
20-01-2013, 04:13 PM
I believe 2nd ed of Descent cut a lot of the fat from the first game and from what I've heard from a lot of players it made it so much better and so much easier to introduce people to what previously was a very off putting and complex game to learn.

I picked up Android: Netrunner. The terminology and symbols are a bit overboard when trying to explain the game to someone. It suits the theme of course, but it doesn't make it any easier to explain. Particularly when some of the symbols only come into it in very few scenarios. The rule book isn't great either. It should have really been two books since both players play so differently to each other.

Goateh
20-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Okay, another question board-gamers:

With Descent: Journeys into the Dark... is the second edition still okay? I haven't played either, and it seems like the first edition is unavailable now. It still looks like fun, but I'm curious what others think of the new edition.

The first edition is long, long and long. If you want to play it you'll need to set aside most of the day and be ready to do a whole lot of looking up rules. The FAQs and errata are also sizable. The second edition is more streamlined plays in a reasonable time and gets its length by stringing together a couple of dungeons into one instead. It also contains the campaign rules that were introduced in an expansion of the first edition. The FAQs and errata are probably not sizable simply because it's not been out long and been expanded much; you'll still want that rulebook and internet connection to hand if you want to get it just right first time.

The second edition is better for most people, especially if you've not played lots of board games before, but if you like your chrome and want huge games you may prefer the first. The second is also easier to acquire. If you do go for the first, make sure to get the Road to Legend expansion.

LowKey
21-01-2013, 10:39 PM
I picked up Android: Netrunner. The terminology and symbols are a bit overboard when trying to explain the game to someone. It suits the theme of course, but it doesn't make it any easier to explain. Particularly when some of the symbols only come into it in very few scenarios. The rule book isn't great either. It should have really been two books since both players play so differently to each other.

Yeah it's a bit like race for the galaxy, maybe try BGG there might be some player aids that could help

mrki
06-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Hello all!

There's a discount on the Talisman game on gamersgate (PC version of the board game). I'm wondering if anyone's tried it and how representative is it of the actual game.

The thing is Talisman is one of the games I'm sort of interested to just straight up buy it. So feel free to add some insights into the game itself.

Winged Nazgul
06-02-2013, 01:45 PM
It's not the full game - hence why it's called Prologue. The biggest thing missing is the multiplayer. There's a demo here - http://www.talisman-game.com/prologuedemo/ and TB gives his thoughts about it here: http://youtu.be/CGOj7utJJMQ

Jesus_Phish
06-02-2013, 02:42 PM
It's only single player and it misses a lot of the point of the real game.

Avoid it and get the real deal instead.

Berzee
06-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Play "A Few Acres of Snow (http://www.yucata.de/en/GameInfo/FewAcresOfSnow)" in thine browser!

It's a game about the war between the French and British in colonial North America, and it uses a build-an-efficient-deck mechanic similar to Dominion as the driving force behind a strategic map-level colonizing thing. The digital version is free to play at the link up there.

Also, if there were not crazy enough, it gives you a board that's rotated about 45% so it looks like the eastern coast of North America runs due East-West. Craaazy.

(It's very well paced and thought-provoking...and occasionally infuriating...but I have only been able to play two games of it so far; I might try to drum up some Social Club interest here so that I can stop hounding my family members about it).

AshEnke
11-05-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm really interested in Space Cadets, anyone tried it ?
It looks like a great deal of fun.

I just have trouble finding it... The only ones I find come from the US with $50 shipping so it's crazy expensive !

Jesus_Phish
11-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Space Cadets does look like great fun, but haven't seen it show up anywhere yet. IT's usually the case with hit games. They can't afford to print many copies, then they all get snatched up!

Our LFGS got in a single display box for the new ANR data pack and sold out of it in about 12 hours. It'll be another month til FFG can ship them another.

deano2099
11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm really interested in Space Cadets, anyone tried it ?
It looks like a great deal of fun.

I just have trouble finding it... The only ones I find come from the US with $50 shipping so it's crazy expensive !

Yeah I'd not been able to track it down in the UK recently, I got in touch with an online store and they said there was no listed date for a restock, so it's likely going to be the latter half of the year I think. Luckily they had a copy with a slightly creased box on the shelves they were able to send me but other than things like that you're likely stuck for a few months.

Darkmalice
13-05-2013, 03:36 AM
We play HeroQuest once a month at the moment, also Spartacus and Last Night on Earth with a few expansions.
If my wallet recovers I'd love to track down the HQ expansions for our campaign. Maybe Descent too.

Xercies
13-05-2013, 08:57 AM
My boardgame shop is going to be getting Netrunner core sets at the end of this month which is quite cool so i may be getting that.

Spacewalk
13-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I played a few rounds of the Bejeweled board game with me mum today. It only takes ten-or-so minutes to set up and play and is a pretty accurate translation of the computer game. Lots of plastic bits to push around and boy do I love plastic bits so I had a good time.

Jesus_Phish
13-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Netrunner is a great game. I got to play a few games yesterday in a semi-league format. It's such a draining game though, the amount of information you've to keep track of, weighing up risks, being terrified when the runner breaks all your ice and get's into R&D and if he pulls just one more agenda out of it you lose and he wins and there's nothing you can do and you don't know what card it is.

smurf636
29-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Dreadball seems to have taken off ridiculously 'round my way. I also tend to engage in a lot of games of talisman, and X-wing(its played on a sort of a board, okay?):)

deano2099
29-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah I'd not been able to track it down in the UK recently, I got in touch with an online store and they said there was no listed date for a restock, so it's likely going to be the latter half of the year I think. Luckily they had a copy with a slightly creased box on the shelves they were able to send me but other than things like that you're likely stuck for a few months.

GamesLore had some copies at UK Board Game Expo the weekend.

Moraven
29-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Think after 7 games of Mage Knight I might understand and know 90% of the rules now. Fighting 7 tokens in Volkare's army actually using the Knock Out rule (If you take as many Wounds as your base hand limit during Assign Damage phase, you lose your entire hand, meaning you do not get to attack) as its meant makes things a lot interesting. Without it, he is easier on medium difficulty. With it...need lots of good blocks skills.

Now to reset the board and try to beat him correctly...