PDA

View Full Version : Help: Suggestions for a gaming tv (PC)

Firkragg
07-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Greetings fellow rock/paper/shotgunners.

Some 2 years ago I bought a Sony Bravia (can't remember the specific model, 32 inches, HDready). Bought a cheap model because I thought I'd end up sitting infront of the monitor and having the tv going in the background. It was only months later I realized I could hook it up to my pc. Now already having a 25.5 widescreen monitor and considering the distance to the TV, the monitor is clearly the best for gaming if you want details.

To my delight RPS recently posted an article involving gaming on a tv using a pc, but sadly no tips on which tv is best suited for this purpose.

I've been reading a bit up on the Lcd/Led/Plasma tv mire but I still do not feel comfortable throwing money after a spanking new tv without more input.

What I have gleaned (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong) to keep in mindwhen considering buying a new gaming tv:

HDready/FullHD (1080P)

From what I've read, FullHD is preferable if you want high resolutions, so I'll be aiming for a FullHD tv.

Response time

How quick a pixel on an lcd tv takes to go from inactive to active. Quicker response times combat smearing effects. So a tv with a quick response time is also a must for me.

50-100-??? Hz

Most of the televisions I've looked up on the net usually have 100 Hz refresh rate. But some tvs come with refresh rates 400/600/800, like this one for reference http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51D490-51-Inch-600Hz-Plasma/dp/B004MKNQHS . 600Hz subfield motion sure sounds fancy, but is such a high rate neccasery?

Then of course there is the question of picture quality. But it is the above points I am having most trouble with. Anything else I should be aware of? Perhaps you already own a sweet tv you use for gaming already? If so, I'd love to hear about it (others might as well!).

pmh
08-12-2011, 10:28 AM
This (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1645885) thread over on Hardforums is a good starting point on some of the considerations in using an HDTV as a PC monitor.

One thing to be particularly careful of is the refresh rate, as it tends to mean something different when compared to monitors. Pretty much all of them just accept a 60Hz signal (aside from some TVs than can do 3D and accept a 120Hz signal) like a normal monitor; the plasma refresh rates and LCDs that tout 120Hz+ (without 3D capabilities) are basically just marketing and/or post-processing done by the TV which tends to introduce input-lag.

Firkragg
09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks pmh, got so lost reading threads over there last night I completely forgot to thank you for the link :)
Very good reads if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

Slychocobo
14-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Wow that is a good thread, I've been using a Sony Bravia KDL40W 5810.. as a monitor for a while. To be frank its not the best as you get bad smudging with Red text on a Black background.

I now know thats because my TV does not have 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling

It doesnt HELP me at all, but I at least know why its happening :P