PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3, Back to Karkand and Origin

neonordnance
13-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to let the internets know that EA has dropped the ball yet again on a high-profile PC release. Back to Karkand, the rather awesome-looking BF3 expansion, was slated to come out today. Unfortunately, Origin appears to be completely locking a huge portion of the playerbase out (including me). The issue stems on people getting a "wrong password" error, even when typing the correct password, and trying to go to the "forgot your password" box gives a server error.

According to the BF3 forums, the whole system is rumored to be down, and in one post a player complained about being locked out for seven hours (!). I've personally been trying to log in for the past hour and a half or so, with no luck.

This is really a shame, considering how good BF3 is, and how much nostalgia I have for the old BF2 maps that are in Back to Karkand.

So what does the RPS crowd think?

BwenGun
13-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I was able to play this morning and early afternoon, been locked out since. That said, what little I have played has been very good. I particularly like Karkand, feels like they've done a very good job on recreating the old map and reconciling it with the new engine. If anything actually the map works better than it did, as the destructible terrain makes holding the US at the Hotel Flag rather difficult, leading to a much more fluid and interesting game.

Kadayi
13-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Patience is a virtue?

Estel
13-12-2011, 08:57 PM
It reports incorrect password incorrectly.

Origin having been down for 6+ hours is pretty awful though (and frustrating).

Megagun
13-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Yep, Origin is currently down.

Origin is down. Why do we have to be kicked out of our games when battlelog or Origin goes down? (http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/nb5u1/origin_is_down_why_do_we_have_to_be_kicked_out_of/)
"We're aware of the issues accessing Origin. We’re investigating the cause, and will provide updates ASAP. Thanks for your patience." (https://twitter.com/#!/origin_EA/status/146655205868576768)
I can login to Battlelog, but not Origin? (http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/nb6u1/i_can_login_to_battlelog_but_not_origin/)
"Game disconnected: you are missing content from the game" I bought a pre-order from a store. (http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/nauuh/game_disconnected_you_are_missing_content_from/)
"We're also aware some users are experiencing issues launching Back to Karkand. We’re investigating this and hope to have it resolved ASAP." (https://twitter.com/#!/origin_EA/status/146694555327143938)

So, yes, Origin is down, they're working on it. Your password is actually not wrong, it's a bug (I get it too).

I played a few rounds on some of the new maps a few hours ago, and it seems that Origin went down about three hours ago.

Kadayi
13-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Time for a class action lawsuit surely.

neonordnance
13-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah, it's pretty poor. Imagine going to the store, picking up a brand new game, taking it back home, installing it, and being told you're not allowed to play it indefinitely. That's just bad business.

It's not that I'm super impatient, I would just like to play the game that I paid good money for. And failing that, I would like an ETA, or at least a response from EA, both of which have been lacking.

Finally, I know it's been said a million times, but this wouldn't happen on Steam.

Megagun
13-12-2011, 09:03 PM
It's not that I'm super impatient, I would just like to play the game that I paid good money for. And failing that, I would like an ETA, or at least a response from EA, both of which have been lacking.
There was an official statement on Battlelog earlier in that top bar (actually, there still is: "We are performing maintenance on the game in general at the moment. We will keep you updated on the progress.")

Finally, I know it's been said a million times, but this wouldn't happen on Steam.
Oh, please. This happens every time Steam has a major release, too. Back in the day of Half-life 2's release, many people couldn't play the game for a few days until the Steam servers settled down. That said, there are enough "Steam versus Origin" threads on these forums, so let's not dwell on that, eh? :)

neonordnance
13-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree it's been debated to death, but might I point out that we are no longer "back in the day of Half-Life 2's release?" 5 years later, gamers expect more.

EDIT: You're right about the official statements though, both BF3 and Origin twitter accounts have posted that they are "working on the issue:"

http://twitter.com/#!/origin_EA

db1331
13-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with all those SWTOR activations on Origin today as well. Seems like they should have probably spaced these two things out just a little bit.

Megagun
13-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey, you're right, but shit happens when you're releasing heavily anticipated software that makes use of an activation server. It's a problem that many digital distributors have, and one that can perhaps only be solved by throwing more (virtual) hardware at it, unless there's a fault somewhere with the core servers/services that has to be patched for things to run smoothly again.

Worst-case scenario is one where your virtual hosting provider (Amazon, Google, ...) also fails whilst you're seeing a peak, at which point you can't really do anything other than hope for the best and try to deal with things in an appropriate manner.

TixyLixx
13-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Been locked out for 6 hours :( Even more proof why DICE need to ditch EA.

TixyLixx
13-12-2011, 09:22 PM
There was an official statement on Battlelog earlier in that top bar (actually, there still is: "We are performing maintenance on the game in general at the moment. We will keep you updated on the progress.")

Oh, please. This happens every time Steam has a major release, too. Back in the day of Half-life 2's release, many people couldn't play the game for a few days until the Steam servers settled down. That said, there are enough "Steam versus Origin" threads on these forums, so let's not dwell on that, eh? :)

Bit of a difference.

That was 7 years ago and Steam was a Pioneer.

Why pick a lacklustre service when something better is out?

Kaira-
13-12-2011, 09:23 PM

Hahahaha. Haha. Ha. Ha- you serious?

neonordnance
13-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Yup, dead serious. Steam has had some rocky launches but I can't remember Steam eaver having a launch as rocky as BF3. When it first came out, it barely worked, and there are numerous threads about Origin errors on launch.

When I bought it on Black Friday, I had to fiddle with the game for 8 hours after buying it just to play the darn thing, just because Origin wouldn't install it correctly. Then, after it finally worked, I had to to deal with Origin occasionally crashing and/or booting me out of games. Then on top of it all, after they've had a month to clean up their act, this crap happens again with the first expansion pack.

The UI is ok, but doesn't work as well as Steam. The overlay is broken and crashes the game often. The one nice thing I can say is that the download speeds are quite fast, but Steam has fast speeds too. Oh, and the other nice thing I can say is that it's not Games for Windows Live.

Other than that, screw Origin.

Nalano
13-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I've had about a one in three success rate at getting in a game, but I can say that the maps are good.

However, all the servers are grossly under-populated and the Origin forums are filled with angry, angry people.

jp0249107
13-12-2011, 09:55 PM
To those who said that this wouldn't happen on Steam. I distinctly remember hating Steam with a passion because it wouldn't work on my computer half the time and the other half was eating up my bandwidth with updates every day.
More recently however, I was locked out of Killing Floor this weekend (and heard some other Steam server games were locked up too) because of Steam. This isn't something that is isolated to just Origin.

Megagun
13-12-2011, 10:04 PM
That was 7 years ago and Steam was a Pioneer.
My apologies for my poor choice of wording. The example of HL2 was an overly hyperbolous example of why this has definitively occured in the past, and I was using the most prominent example around to put weight to my point, which I shouldn't have done due to the time that has passed since the incident. I was actually referring to recent problems with Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 (and IIRC Alien Swarm). Both of these games had issues for me at launch, at least one of which was due to download-related issues which were only solved by changing my download location to Ukraine and accepting the 100KB/s download speeds. I think I couldn't play some of my games either back when Valve did the ARG that required people to play games, but that could've been related to generic Left 4 Dead 2 lobby failures rather than Steam being down/annoying. My memory of some of these incidents is vague, so take 'em with the usual grain of salt. :)

However, all the servers are grossly under-populated and the Origin forums are filled with angry, angry people.
Good. Playing on a 64-man server earlier proved to be quite the clusterfuck! :P

Nalano
13-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Good. Playing on a 64-man server earlier proved to be quite the clusterfuck! :P

There are 32-player servers, y'know!

PeteC
13-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I was able to play for a couple of hours earlier but Origin went down mid game and haven't managed to get back in since. Pretty annoying as I was enjoying the new maps a lot and actually had all night free for gaming which doesn't happen often.

Megagun
13-12-2011, 10:16 PM
There are 32-player servers, y'know!
I always play on 32-player servers. Unfortunately, I happened to join a friend this time and noticed too late that he didn't share my hate for 64-player servers.

I was able to play for a couple of hours earlier but Origin went down mid game and haven't managed to get back in since. Pretty annoying as I was enjoying the new maps a lot and actually had all night free for gaming which doesn't happen often.
I know! A friend invited me over to play some Modern Warfare 3 on his Xbox 360, and I turned down this perfectly good oppurtunity to get ROFLstomped by people who are far better at controlling first person shooters with analogue sticks than I am. The only reason why I turned down his offer was Back to Karkand!

neonordnance
14-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Well, Origin has been back up for a few hours and it's working great for me. The new maps are absolutely incredible; not only have they taken the great gameplay of the originals to the next level by including more detailed interiors, they are also drop-dead gorgeous. The inclusion of Conquest Assault is also a nice touch and takes the intensity up to the next level, especially when you are defending your last point from a relentless enemy.

I haven't had a chance to test out any of the new weapons or many of the new vehicles, but I can report that the F-35 is a beautifully modelled plane that feels slightly chunkier than the F-18, and so provides a nice sense of variety.

Overall, a fantastic piece of DLC. Too bad the launch was so rocky.

Nalano
14-12-2011, 03:03 AM
100-round drum magazines on the QBB95 and MG36. It kinda blows away the only justification I suspected as to why they didn't have the 75-round drum for the RPK74: Because huge capacity and quick reload is overpowered. Now I suspect they didn't have that for the RPK74 because they hate me.

Nevertheless, I'm very much enjoying shooting everything that moves.

DetCord
14-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Horrid and heavily overused color correction in B2K, IMHO.

Some of the new maps have saturation, contrast, and brightness blow way outta proportion, either it's way too much or not enough. Some of the maps, especially Wake for example, are really washed out with far to many blue hues and so on. Everything looks so flat simply because DICE loves those worthless filters...

soldant
14-12-2011, 05:50 AM
My apologies for my poor choice of wording. The example of HL2 was an overly hyperbolous example of why this has definitively occured in the past, and I was using the most prominent example around to put weight to my point, which I shouldn't have done due to the time that has passed since the incident. I was actually referring to recent problems with Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 (and IIRC Alien Swarm). Both of these games had issues for me at launch, at least one of which was due to download-related issues which were only solved by changing my download location to Ukraine and accepting the 100KB/s download speeds. I think I couldn't play some of my games either back when Valve did the ARG that required people to play games, but that could've been related to generic Left 4 Dead 2 lobby failures rather than Steam being down/annoying. My memory of some of these incidents is vague, so take 'em with the usual grain of salt. :)P

Your memory is accurate. Plenty of times I've had a game pre-loaded, ready to go, only to have it unlock and then start to attempt to download another 100MB or so in additional files to complete the unlock... which then takes forever because the "servers are too busy", and Steam ineffectually tries to find a content server that has the content. And back when Steam was new the system was far, far worse.

Steam was a pioneer? Sure. But Origin is new, and it isn't about being a pioneer, it's about service teething issues. All new services, when they first appear, tend to have capacity problems or service interruptions. Steam has had many years to build up its infrastructure but still can't handle a popular release. So yes, this problem would happen on Steam. Battlefield 3 is just particularly susceptible to it because of the Battlelog system which also needed an update.

Kadayi
14-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Steam was a pioneer? Sure. But Origin is new, and it isn't about being a pioneer, it's about service teething issues. All new services, when they first appear, tend to have capacity problems or service interruptions. Steam has had many years to build up its infrastructure but still can't handle a popular release.

^This.

Much love for Steam, but even they still have issues with the big boy releases. Sure when you've got your game boner on it's annoying as hell that you can't play your game instantly, but to be brutally frank, if the most pressing thing in your life is not being able to play your game straight away then you should count your blessings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

acidtestportfolio
14-12-2011, 06:45 PM
back 2 karkand so far is a big 'enh' for me

i wonder if everything is washed out because it looks more gritty. god damn it, fuck grit. i want my wake island to be a tropical paradise. i can live with this for the other three (where is road to jalalabad, anyway? i like saying jalalabad. heeee. jalalalalalalalalabad.), but wake island is supposed to look lively.

there's also some new guns and things but i haven't gotten to them yet. i think i would be mad if i paid 15 dollars for this (more so because that would mean giving my credit card details to origin). i DO like, however, the fact that the game gives you the co-op guns that were previously locked off. i hated the co-op so much, especially when i had to grind for new guns with it.

Smashbox
14-12-2011, 06:58 PM
to be brutally frank, if the most pressing thing in your life is not being able to play your game straight away then you should count your blessings.

Yeah, don't say negative things about a game company or game service on a game forum. Count your blessings instead.

SirKicksalot
14-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Steam was a pioneer? Sure. But Origin is new, and it isn't about being a pioneer, it's about service teething issues. All new services, when they first appear, tend to have capacity problems or service interruptions. Steam has had many years to build up its infrastructure but still can't handle a popular release. So yes, this problem would happen on Steam. Battlefield 3 is just particularly susceptible to it because of the Battlelog system which also needed an update.

Origin is a rebranded EADM, a service running since 2005.

Kadayi
14-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, don't say negative things about a game company or game service on a game forum. Count your blessings instead.

Temporal issues are temporal. As Louis CK says in the Video, learn to have some patience with the world. If the bus is a minute late to you go on the driver? For all anyone knows 4Chan might of decided the release of Back to Karkland was the perfect to time to hit the Origin servers with a massive DDoS attack or some such (in the same way the AC verification servers were attacked when that was released..gamerz screwing over gamers...).

Nalano
14-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Temporal issues are temporal. As Louis CK says in the Video, learn to have some patience with the world. If the bus is a minute late to you go on the driver? For all anyone knows 4Chan might of decided the release of Back to Karkland was the perfect to time to hit the Origin servers with a massive DDoS attack or some such (in the same way the AC verification servers were attacked when that was released..gamerz screwing over gamers...).

It's not so much accepting that slowdowns occur but wondering whether our accepted standard of services is sinking.

For instance, I don't care that any individual train on the subway is late (and, indeed, most people are surprised to hear they're on a schedule at all) because they come so often anyway. However, I do care if I it consistently takes ten minutes longer to get to work due to fewer (and more overcrowded) trains being sent down the line.

Dexter
14-12-2011, 07:27 PM
^This.

Much love for Steam, but even they still have issues with the big boy releases. Sure when you've got your game boner on it's annoying as hell that you can't play your game instantly, but to be brutally frank, if the most pressing thing in your life is not being able to play your game straight away then you should count your blessings.

I can't say I've had any problems with Steam lately other than the occasional heavy load making the shop pages take a while and the friends list being down, making it nigh impossible to play Multiplayer.

Other than that, some of this crap worked perfectly fine back in 199-fucking 5, only reason you couldn't play a game then was if either your connection was down or the server you were trying to connect to, in which case you would just pick a different one.

It is not fine to "defend" this, if they absolutely have to make their game go through 3-5 different kinds of Authentication/Login/Activation/Whatever-servers which aren't a requirement to playing online and whatnot they better make sure that they work, but we all know you apparently like something hard in your backside and asking for more based on almost every single post, because they're companies and that apparently excuses them from everything because they have to "make money" and thus can do no wrong.

Tei
14-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Is not a simple problem. But is not a imposible problem. There are people with the experience to built systems that can survive a wave of users. Is not easy or cheap, but is doable. The key here is probably cheap. Why built a system for 9999x users (the release day number of users) wen you can built it for 99x users, since normally theres 9x users. By building the system for 99x users you save a lot of money, and it still works the 99.99% of the time. Being these .01 days, the release day, and the day after it.

But I think is a different thing wen you have a system like Origin, its supposed to be the launcher of games like mass effect and stuff. Is supposed to be a system for more than just the people that want to play BF3. But is dimensioned to less people than one of the game inside the platform need. Thats about too much save. Origin is not a serius platform, not yet, and maybe It would not make a profit if where as good as Steam. Steam has the money and the experience, and sells way more games, so make sense to invest in have a stable platform.

tl:dr: buy games in Steam, and avoid Origin if you can. <--- captain obvious message.

Kadayi
14-12-2011, 07:48 PM
It's not so much accepting that slowdowns occur but wondering whether our accepted standard of services is sinking.

I look forward to you bitching about how you can't download that game you bought during the Steam Christmas Sale, because 'it's currently unavailable'. The same shit that has happened during every Steam Christmas sale for the past few years. You'd think Valve would learn.

It is not fine to "defend" this, if they absolutely have to make their game go through 3-5 different kinds of Authentication/Login/Activation/Whatever-servers which aren't a requirement to playing online and whatnot they better make sure that they work, but we all know you apparently like something hard in your backside and asking for more based on almost every single post, because they're companies and that apparently excuses them from everything because they have to "make money" and thus can do no wrong.

1) Do I know you?

2) I'm amused how saying 'shit happens, have some patience' apparently translates as 'defending' bad service. I doubt very much whether they planned for things to go wrong, but sometimes in life you get thrown a curve ball. What part of that is a seemingly alien concept exactly? If say a developer releases a crappy port (like GTA IV, or SR2) then I'm all for tearing them a new asshole because they damn well knew what they were doing, but people losing their shit over something like this (which might well be as a resultant of something beyond their immediate control) is frankly infantile.

3) Familarize yourself with the forum rules: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?104-The-Rules

Nalano
14-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I look forward to you bitching about how you can't download that game you bought during the Steam Christmas Sale, because 'it's currently unavailable'. The same shit that has happened during every Steam Christmas sale for the past few years. You'd think Valve would learn.

Dude. I can't even select ten games to put on my wish list, let alone find more shit to buy on sale. My problems with Steam are mostly in the "have to be online to go offline" variety; the last time I saw a "sorry, authentication servers are down" before this latest debacle with Origin was WoW when BC came out.

But that's not even what I was trying to say. I'm saying, "I accept occasional slowdowns." I'm also saying, "I don't accept lowered expectations for standard service." I wasn't complaining about the Back to Karkand debacle, but at the same rate I don't like having two systems on my computer effectively performing the same service.

So what I guess I'm saying now is, don't act like you know me. *Z snap*

Dexter
14-12-2011, 08:13 PM

1) Do I know you?

2) I'm amused how saying 'shit happens, have some patience' apparently translates as 'defending' bad service. I doubt very much whether they planned for things to go wrong, but sometimes in life you get thrown a curve ball. What part of that is a seemingly alien concept exactly? If say a developer releases a crappy port (like GTA IV, or SR2) then I'm all for tearing them a new asshole because they damn well knew what they were doing, but people losing their shit over something like this (which might well be as a resultant of something beyond their immediate control) is frankly infantile.

3) Familarize yourself with the forum rules: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?104-The-Rules

1) No you don't.

2) There's different kinds of things different kind of people find they can "lose their shit" over, personally for instance I'm not that sensitive to crappy ports as I just don't buy the game in that case (like SR2 or DMC 3), and I find abhorrent business ethics/practices or certain kinds of DRM a lot worse. Almost every 2nd or 3rd of your comments contains some passive-aggressive corporate-apologetic stance in them and usually I'm able to ignore them and go about my way, just they keep popping up. I haven't even played Battlefield 3 for weeks but making a non-issue out of it and saying that people should just learn to have "patience", putting in that one jab at consumers trying to protect some of the rights they have left with lawsuits and all the rest doesn't help anyone.

3) One more, cause making bullet-points with numbers in front is fun.

Kadayi
14-12-2011, 08:44 PM
But that's not even what I was trying to say. I'm saying, "I accept occasional slowdowns." I'm also saying, "I don't accept lowered expectations for standard service." I wasn't complaining about the Back to Karkand debacle, but at the same rate I don't like having two systems on my computer effectively performing the same service.

Neither do I (I kind of wish that Valve spun Steam out as an independent entity in a way so that publishers like EA wouldn't choose to eschew it tbh). However that's a separate issue.

Almost every 2nd or 3rd of your comments contains some passive-aggressive corporate-apologetic stance in them and usually I'm able to ignore them and go about my way, just they keep popping up.

And? Last time I checked this was a discussion forum. I'm sorry that my opinions of how the game industry operates differ from yours. Forgive me for being unable to get behind the usual jingoistic 'Fucking (insert name of publisher/developer)' hatewagon without questioning it's legitimacy. My bad.

deano2099
15-12-2011, 07:50 PM
It's fair enough for a multiplayer game (sort of - if the servers are full it's one thing, if they're there and no-one can get on because the login server is broke...). But for single-player, the fact that the DRM doesn't fail into a playable state is unacceptable. Just let it run if the DRM server doesn't report back.

[And yes, I know, that'd make the DRM easy to hack. But given that all DRM is easy to hack and only there to make the shareholders think the publisher is trying to stop piracy it doesn't matter]

Christian
15-12-2011, 09:12 PM
[...]
Origin having been down for 6+ hours is pretty awful though (and frustrating).

Oh relax. They just need some time to copy all the data they collected from your computer to their servers and evaluate it. :p

Colonel J
15-12-2011, 09:58 PM
But for single-player, the fact that the DRM doesn't fail into a playable state is unacceptable. Just let it run if the DRM server doesn't report back.

It does. If you launch BF3 while Origin or Battlelog is off-line (or if you have no internet connection) then it starts the single player game.

Moraven
16-12-2011, 06:10 AM
I blame Star Wars early access and release for messing up my Origin.

acidtestportfolio
16-12-2011, 06:18 AM
the assignments pretty much suck

i really do not like the idea of playing squad deathmatch to unlock a gun. battlefield 3 is at its worst when it tries to compete head to head with call of duty, simply because it's not arcadey at all

deano2099
16-12-2011, 08:46 AM
It does. If you launch BF3 while Origin or Battlelog is off-line (or if you have no internet connection) then it starts the single player game.

Oh, that's interesting. Will have to see how this plays out with ME3 if that requires Origin then...

Kadayi
16-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh, that's interesting. Will have to see how this plays out with ME3 if that requires Origin then...

Well ME3 might require online like ME2 did with the cerberus network for DLC