PDA

View Full Version : err the site is a bit sloooowwww...

Tinners
14-12-2011, 12:19 PM
is it just me or is RPS ridiculously slow this week? Is it something to do with the TOR banner ad at the top of the page?

Rossignol
14-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Working on this at the moment.

Vexing Vision
14-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah, the SWTOR banner is a major pain. Too many flash-frames loading simultaneously.

lhzr
15-12-2011, 11:27 AM
works fine for me (adblocked, ofc)

Vexing Vision
16-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Dear RPS,

You know how much I love you all.

However, the front-page is becoming seriously unusable. I do not wish to resort to using an ad-blocker, as you all deserve every single impression you get.

But that bloody flash-laden SWTOR ad makes the site impossible to load, difficult to navigate AND slows down processes on the rest of my computer.

Ad-blocked for now (I will probably finally subscribe to off-set this), but please do inform us once it's gone....

/Edited: Bah, needs PayPal account for subscription. Oh well. Have my one-time donation then.

Chicago67
16-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, the Star Wars background is bringing Chrome to it's knees. An article in RPS-I believe I'm remembering this right-made me give up AdBlockers. The irony...

YourMessageHere
18-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Ditto. These ads are driving me round the twist. The site totally crashes Opera on my EeePC. My main PC is a little sluggish too. I thought this was supposed to be a blog, not a commercial site...so why are there ads? To me that's the main difference.

westyfield
18-12-2011, 02:24 PM
I thought this was supposed to be a blog, not a commercial site...so why are there ads? To me that's the main difference.

It's not a blog. It's a website about computer games, and for the writers its their main source of income. So it's very much a commercial site, not simply a hobby.

Unaco
18-12-2011, 02:34 PM
It's not just the ads... it's that they're so obnoxious. A background I'm cool with... A background that hurts my eyes, 3 autoplaying Flash videos and something that tries to take over my PC when I mouse over it, I'm not cool with. RPS is out of my adBlock whitelist, and has been for a while.

There are also some pretty annoying Social nonsense widgets, that are STILL slowing the site down (if, say, I refresh the main page, I can't do anything on any other RPS Pages I have open until the main page is fully loaded... no scrolling, no clicking links etc.). If I want Social nonsense, I'll go join MySpace or whatever.

Kaira-
18-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Even with adblock it takes a few seconds before I can actually click anywhere or scroll the page, apparently because of the social widgets that don't get automatically filtered by adblock.

pmh
19-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Even with adblock it takes a few seconds before I can actually click anywhere or scroll the page, apparently because of the social widgets that don't get automatically filtered by adblock.
See:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?793-Front-page-load-time&p=26098&viewfull=1#post26098
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?793-Front-page-load-time&p=46764&viewfull=1#post46764

I use the former, but the latter should also work.

Vexing Vision
19-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Before that SWTOR ad, I never experienced any issues. Now that it's ad-blocked, things are moving slightly faster again, but it still seems like the flash-frames are loading and slowing down the entire site.

So, how expensive are you guys? Can we all chime in and kick the SWTOR ad out by replacing them with... uh... an add for the Divisions of Death RPS Bloodbowl-League, maybe? It's a win for everyone.

kirrus
20-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Ads are booked months in advance afaik, though you could try emailing the hivemind :)

Nesetalis
24-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Advertisement revenue was the worst idea to ever come to the internet. I'd much rather donate to a site I like, than pay for it with eye straining and computer buckling agony that are modern flash advertisements.

Now if you are going to go the advertisement rout; Text ads, that is all you need. No gifs, no animated png, no flash, no javascript. I use adblock as my vote for a clean and useful internet. I am voting with my wallet every time I visit a site and the ad doesn't load. If a few sites die along the way because they couldn't find a more secure way to pay for their service, well, maybe that is survival of the fittest. I will not subject myself to this mind-control, propaganda, and dangerous thing that is advertisement. Too many people catch malware that way.
You don't stick it in a diseased crack whore without a wrapper, don't surf the web without noscript and adblock+.

kirrus
24-12-2011, 04:42 PM
So, I'd take it you'd rather see an awesome site like RPS die, because too many people refuse/cannot afford to subscribe? I'd rather have the adverts, thanks.

Nesetalis
24-12-2011, 10:16 PM
No, more aptly I'd rather see the site take donations.

westyfield
24-12-2011, 11:19 PM
No, more aptly I'd rather see the site take donations.

They do. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/supportrps/)10char