PDA

View Full Version : Amusement Park vs. Playground RPGs

magicbison
15-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Hello RPS citizenry, I am currently looking for a very story driven RPG thats under 10 bucks and under 7 gigs and is either a First Person RPG or Third person(over the shoulder) RPG.

Currently all I own are Playground RPGs(Fallout, Fallout 3, ES: Oblivion...)

What I'm looking for is an Amusement Park RPG like the Witcher or Fable.

My desktop is not connected to internet and my only availble storage is an 8 gig usb drive.

I know you'll make me proud and thanks for the help!

p.s. Don't mention Skyrim because I have not enough monies... :(

Smashbox
15-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Let it be known, this is not the place to discuss the definition of 'RPG.'

I like Mass Effect 2 quite a bit, but it's a bit linear. Still, despite its problems, I think it's a great game. I also recommend Fallout: New Vegas if you're hankering for a bit more freedom. I'm sure neither is too pricy anymore. I can't speak to disk space, but I'm fairly sure New Vegas is small-ish.

Drake Sigar
15-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines it is then. We can't go a day without mentioning it here.

Giaddon
15-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Actually a tricky request!

Let's see... Many games ruled out from size alone (Mass Effect 2, for example, is 15GB. Even the hoary Witcher is 8GB) and RPGs tend to stay expensive longer than other genres...

Also, not connected to the internet? That's tough, in today's DD and DRM world. I don't think any digital distributor but Good old Games will work, since only those are DRM free.

I'd say your best bet is an old RPG off Good old Games that you download on one computer, then transfer the installer to the gaming desktop.

Lots of great classics on sale right now, including Fallout 2 (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout_2) ($3) and Baldur's Gate 2 (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete) ($5) from Good old Games, although these are isometric, not 3rd/1st person.

Some Amazon finds:
NOTE that these may have some kind of online DRM check, make sure they do not before purchasing!

Titan Quest Gold for $5 (http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Quest-Gold-Immortal-Throne-Pc/dp/B000WCCURW/ref=sr_1_17?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323971156&sr=1-17) (action RPG, not quite Fable/Witcher like)

Knights of the Old Republic is $13 (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B00006IR62/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323971318&sr=1-4) (Very good Bioware Star Wars RPG)

Fable: The Lost Chapters is $13 (http://www.amazon.com/Fable-Lost-Chapters-PC/dp/B000A76ZNO/ref=sr_1_29?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323971270&sr=1-29)

Berzee
15-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Kotor is my most emphatic recommendation =)

Or Betrayal at Krondor, for old skool -- http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/betrayal_at_krondor
(Antara is...not nearly so good, but is included in that pack)

Flint
15-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Knights of the Old Republic definitely, if there's a non-Steam version easily available somewhere.

Vague-rant
15-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Hmmm. Bloodlines is a pretty good choice. If you've already played it Knights of the Old Republic, maybe?

Edit: Arg. Ninja'd twice over. Getting slow in my old age.

Grizzly
15-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Everything Infinity Enigne. Specially Baldurs Gate 2

deano2099
15-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Dragon Age if it's not too big.

Icarus
15-12-2011, 07:44 PM
The all-bells-and-whistles version of Dragon Age Origins clocks in at 20 Gb plus, but the sequel is only 5 or so. I'd recommend the Infinity engine games on GoG, though, as well as the original NWN with it's expansions.

DarioSamo
15-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Adding to the isometric genre, don't forget Arcanum! It's not really well balanced on combat, but it sure is an interesting setting, and the world is quite "open" as well.

sokkur
15-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Hve you tired Overlord?. It is a Fable style game that came out in 2007.

Lambchops
15-12-2011, 07:58 PM
More approval for Bloodlines and KotOR from me.

Wizardry
15-12-2011, 07:59 PM
God damn it!

deano2099
15-12-2011, 08:13 PM
God damn it!

Not tried that one, any good?

FuriKuri!
15-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Jade Empire may be worth checking out. It's about the closest to Fable in terms of combat feel than any of the other games listed above and about as linear.

Veracity
15-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Dragon Age: Origins is ~20 gig (goatse edition - vanilla's not so insane, but not enough smaller to be helpful).

Bloodlines is good times. Mask of the Betrayer is grand, but I've no idea if that's small enough.

ado
15-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Everything Infinity Enigne. Specially Baldurs Gate 2

What this wise bear said. And Diablo. WHAT?

magicbison
16-12-2011, 12:16 AM
As far as DRM goes I guess I've managed to be able to swap game files from my "borrowed" laptop for Steam and replace the ones on my desktop. As long as I log in on steam on my laptop and put it in offline mode before I copy files it works.

With games I currently own Fallout, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Baldur's Gate 2 but I've truly been pining for something more actiony. My mind is always filled with Bloodlines but until I find it cheaper than 20 bucks I won't be able to pour my time into it. Also is Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption worth having a go at?

Snargelfargen
16-12-2011, 01:01 AM
There are actually very few games out there that have both rpg-inspired plotting and development, and action like what you get in fable or the witcher.

That said, you need to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and this video will show you why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Icarus
16-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Torchlight might tickle your fancy- it's available from Steam or direct from Runic, no DRM, it's essentially an up-to-date Diablo-a-like by a good few of the people who made Diablo 2. Lightweight, but randomly-generated dungeons and an infinitely-deep 'other' dungeon away from the main story should be enough to last you a good while. Should run nicely on a netbook too

Edit: Not much in the way of story, though. The extent of the story is Hit ALL The Things And Also Go Deeper With Occasional Bosses.

magicbison
16-12-2011, 02:03 AM
There are actually very few games out there that have both rpg-inspired plotting and development, and action like what you get in fable or the witcher.

That said, you need to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and this video will show you why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

How is the DRM with this game? Any idea if its a one time code or something like that. I've seen copies of this game > used < but have never picked them up because I can't seem to find out how it validates from my half arsed google searches and reading the box.

On the prowl for Bloodlines and now Dark Messiah...awroooo!

somini
16-12-2011, 02:19 AM
How is the DRM with this game? Any idea if its a one time code or something like that. I've seen copies of this game > used < but have never picked them up because I can't seem to find out how it validates from my half arsed google searches and reading the box.

On the prowl for Bloodlines and now Dark Messiah...awroooo!
It's can be activated on Steam. Although I think you can install the retail version standalone, not sue though...
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

karthink
16-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Jade Empire.

Duckee
16-12-2011, 03:08 AM
Darksiders maybe? Not a super amazing game as it does get a bit dull by the end, but people compare the style to Zelda: Ocarina of Time which is arguably an easy way of explaining the game. Dark-Zelda.

10gb though, but I am sure you can easily pick it up for a low price somewhere.

sabrage
16-12-2011, 03:10 AM
I thought Darksiders was an excellent game. It lost a lot of points (amongst reviewers, not me) for being derivative, but it's like someone took the best parts of God of War and Zelda (with a little Panzer Dragoon) and crammed them into one game. It's not exactly an RPG though.

Heliocentric
16-12-2011, 03:18 AM
If darksiders is an RPG have you considered the GTA games? I'm torn between between which to recommend, I'll say vice city but some of the later missions are disgustingly difficult.

Juan Carlo
16-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Remember, he said first or third person and under 7 gigs, which limits things a bit.

Definitely play Vampire Bloodlines if you haven't (preferably with a patch).

I'd recommend:

Jade Empire (this one is good, although it is pretty linear, even by Bioware standards)

Gothic 1 and 2

Risen (it looks great and is only 2 gigs, if you can find it for under 10 dollars--it has been on sale for that in the past, but regular price is higher),

Mass Effect 1 (although I can't remember how large it is, it might be over 7 gigs)

Drakensang 1 and 2 (These are both third person and are especially good if you like more stat heavy RPGs)

sabrage
16-12-2011, 06:21 AM
What about Arx Fatalis? It's only half a gig and the world is amazing.

Roufuss
16-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Or Betrayal at Krondor, for old skool -- http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/betrayal_at_krondor
(Antara is...not nearly so good, but is included in that pack)

Antara is unfortunately broken on the GOG release and can't be completed, just as an FYI.

Berzee
16-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Antara is unfortunately broken on the GOG release and can't be completed, just as an FYI.

Oo, good to know! However -- no great loss. -_-

Wizardry
16-12-2011, 06:11 PM
So here's the RPS community's RPG recommendations in full:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Arx Fatalis
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Betrayal at Krondor
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Darksiders
Diablo
Dragon Age: Origins
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Drakensang: The River of Time
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Gothic
Gothic II
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Jade Empire
Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Overlord
Risen
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Titan Quest
Torchlight
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Smashbox
16-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I think that's meant to be insulting?

deano2099
16-12-2011, 06:30 PM

And what would you recommend, given:

What I'm looking for is an Amusement Park RPG like the Witcher or Fable.

You reckon may people didn't recommend anything you liked as he specifically asked for recommendations of the type of game you hate?

vinraith
16-12-2011, 06:35 PM
And what would you recommend, given:

You reckon may people didn't recommend anything you liked as he specifically asked for recommendations of the type of game you hate?

Actually there are several games in that list that Wizardry has endorsed. I think his concern is more the lack of scope than the specific content. That said, I'd agree that the lack of scope is in part a product of the original specifications for the game in question.

Wizardry
16-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I was just being nice enough to list all the games mentioned in this thread. Obviously I should be sentenced to death for such acts of kindness.

Heliocentric
16-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Arx Fatalis
Betrayal at Krondor
Darksiders
Diablo
Fallout 2
Gothic
Gothic II
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Overlord
Risen
Titan Quest
Torchlight

Overlord but no vice city?

archonsod
16-12-2011, 11:14 PM
If darksiders is an RPG have you considered the GTA games? I'm torn between between which to recommend, I'll say vice city but some of the later missions are disgustingly difficult.

In that vein how about Prototype? Bit more RPGish with the skill upgrades et al, third person and pretty good fun to boot.

More traditionally surprised nobody mentioned Might and Magic. VI to VIII for preference.

Heliocentric
16-12-2011, 11:35 PM
In that vein how about Prototype? Bit more RPGish with the skill upgrades et al, third person and pretty good fun to boot.

More traditionally surprised nobody mentioned Might and Magic. VI to VIII for preference.
The thing is lots of people say "I like RPG" meaning they like games with depth and progression, but the joke is most "action rpgs" you play at the start exactly how you play at the end just with more hp and higher dps. Might and Magic has "terrain" and is thus a turn based strategy game :P

Vague-rant
16-12-2011, 11:51 PM
The thing is lots of people say "I like RPG" meaning they like games with depth and progression, but the joke is most "action rpgs" you play at the start exactly how you play at the end just with more hp and higher dps. Might and Magic has "terrain" and is thus a turn based strategy game :P

I think you misheard. We said terrain based strategy game.

magicbison
17-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Breaking down and buying Arx Fatalis and Gothic. I FINALLY found a discounted copy of Bloodlines so I will chase it down.

Berzee
17-12-2011, 05:01 PM
The fun thing about Arx Fatalis is that they made it open source (that was the one, right?) so after you buy it and have all the graphical assets and et cetera, you could go all Haaaaxxx

DaftPunk
17-12-2011, 05:26 PM
You want to play Gothic 2 GOLD EDITION,it doesn't matter that game came out in 2002,its still better then most games these days. At first you will think the controls are kinda clunky,and animations are stiff but believe me,after hour or two,you'll fall in love with the game! There is so much to do,even as 11-12 years old game it feels more alive then majority of titles released.. Highly suggest GOTHIC 2 !!

Drayk
17-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Arx Fatalis
Betrayal at Krondor
Darksiders
Diablo
Fallout 2
Gothic
Gothic II
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Overlord
Risen
Titan Quest
Torchlight

To think I played all of these Except Overlord and Betrayal of Krondor... I can't say if I am proud or depressed...

Wizardry
17-12-2011, 07:57 PM
To think I played all of these Except Overlord and Betrayal of Krondor... I can't say if I am proud or depressed...
Depressed. Betrayal at Krondor is the best game on the list.

magicbison
18-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Are Gothic's controls like Arx Fatalis or more "clunky". AF isn't so bad, it's like Daggerfall without the frustration...

DigitalSignalX
18-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Was thinking the same thing: it's the first time I can ever remember reading an assembled list of games on RPS for whatever reason that I've almost all played (except Darksiders & Arx Fatalis).

On topic, highly reccomend Mass Effect 1 and Drakensang: River of Time if HD space allows.

Vexing Vision
18-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Are Gothic's controls like Arx Fatalis or more "clunky". AF isn't so bad, it's like Daggerfall without the frustration...

The controls aren't "clunky" as much as "I have never played a combat system like this before, the timing is all wrong, I can never get this to work, aaaaaah this sucks, oh wait, now I got it."

Drake Sigar
18-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Depressed. Betrayal at Krondor is the best game on the list.
It's more like 4th.

Wizardry
18-12-2011, 03:08 PM
It's more like 4th.
After Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II and Arcanum?

Drake Sigar
18-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Get out of my head, demonspawn!

ado
18-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Man I'm craving some Diablo... Haven't clicked on amy monsters in years man. Just one click, that's all I ask, one last click.