PDA

View Full Version : One core running at 100%

DVD773
15-12-2011, 08:51 PM
So your awesome for reading this but....

I just looked at my task mangr and one of my CPU cores is running at 100% all the time. The other 3 cores are fine. Is this normal behavior?

I'm particularly suspicious because i have as my system seems slow, may be infected...I'm not sure though?

-D

Kadayi
15-12-2011, 09:55 PM
You should probably run task manager and see what programs you have running, but yeah I'd be tempted to run a virus scan or two.

slick_101
15-12-2011, 10:09 PM
yeah I'm with kadayi on this, you should run a virus scan. Also, when you click on the performance tab on the Windows Task Manager at the bottom there is a button called "resource monitor" click that and see which programs are hogging your CPU

DigitalSignalX
15-12-2011, 11:37 PM
There's a superb free rootkit detector out there called ComboFix that can find some stuff hijackthis, malwarebytes and spybot S&D all will miss, not to mention your average AV suite.

DVD773
16-12-2011, 12:24 AM
I have scanned with my AV suite, found nothing. The core seems better now. For piece of mind though i will try that rootkit software you suggested. Thanks guys for the advice.

Edit: I ran combo fix, i think it found and removed one or two things...which is good/bad depending how you want to look at it. For other who are going to use it be warnied you will get no prompt. As soon as you execute teh installer it will run and make any changes it wants to. You get no option to approve changes.