PDA

View Full Version : To Wii or not to Wii, that is the question.

BobsLawnService
21-12-2011, 06:14 AM
I'm probably about 5 years too late on this but I have some gift vouchers that I don't know what to do with and the family has commented that they wouldn't mind a Wii. I have my PC for more complicated, violent games I don't want my 3 year old playing so I was toying with the idea of picking one up for Christmas.

Any opinions for or against?

Rii
21-12-2011, 06:21 AM
A couple points you may not have considered:

- You'll probably want a component cable. Composite is shite.
- Rechargeable AAs required for Wiimote.
- The Wiimote will carry over to Wii U.

DigitalSignalX
21-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Resist. Consoles are a slippery slope! Get the tot a PC instead. Just imagine all the fun they could have.

http://pcresults.com/Portals/0/blog/kids-computer.jpg

Drake Sigar
22-12-2011, 10:29 AM
If you have regular barbecues, family gatherings, or more siblings than Bret Hart, the Wii is fantastic fun. Party games are about all it's good for though.

ntw
22-12-2011, 10:30 AM
the wii is good for kids, adults will quickly tire of its USP (in my experience)

Althea
22-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Depends. If you feel like you're going to explode, you probably should go for a Wii before you cause yourself a mischief.

Lambchops
22-12-2011, 10:51 AM
If you have regular barbecues, family gatherings, or more siblings than Bret Hart, the Wii is fantastic fun. Party games are about all it's good for though.

That and the big Nintendo franchises. The Mario Galaxies, Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda games (I'm just going to assume Skyward Sword is good, haven't played it yet) are all excellent too.

The JG Man
22-12-2011, 11:20 AM
What Rii said, but also be absolutely careful which model Wii you get. General rule of thumb; if you see a Wii laying down flat on the box, do not get it. They've released a new model that no longer has backwards compatibility with the Gamecube so find one that has a Wii standing up straight in it.

Other than that, make sure you have at least two controllers and enjoy 5 years worth of a handful of good games!

Xercies
22-12-2011, 11:23 AM
En the Wii is not one of the most played consoles in our family to be honest. Never really got the point of it. But there are good games like mario and Donkey Kong so maybe its good enough for them.

deano2099
22-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Have played some really good stuff on mine, and you can get them pretty cheap these days. If you're someone that likes fiddling with technology they're remarkably easy to jailbreak too to run homebrew, and that lets you do fun things like install all your games on to an external USB hard drive and run emulators and stuff.

Rii
22-12-2011, 01:21 PM
What Rii said, but also be absolutely careful which model Wii you get. General rule of thumb; if you see a Wii laying down flat on the box, do not get it. They've released a new model that no longer has backwards compatibility with the Gamecube so find one that has a Wii standing up straight in it.

Other than that, make sure you have at least two controllers and enjoy 5 years worth of a handful of good games!

I'm surprised that they didn't cut the backwards compatibility earlier. And now that they have I'm surprised that they didn't also take the opportunity to repackage the console a la PS3 -> PS3 Slim. Oh wells.

On a vaguely related note I'm tipping the release of a cut-throat Wii-sized PS3 Slim(mer) for Christmas next year.

Roufuss
22-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Resist. Consoles are a slippery slope! Get the tot a PC instead. Just imagine all the fun they could have.

http://pcresults.com/Portals/0/blog/kids-computer.jpg

Looks like these kids are playing Amnesia!

The JG Man
22-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Thing is, Rii, it's already at a good price point, so cutting content without offering more other than an additional game in the bundle (which I'd argue is just not worth it at all) seems bloody stupid to me. Besides, it's not exactly a big thing as it is. I don't really get their decision to release this model, but I guess I'm not a marketing exec...

Rii
22-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Thing is, Rii, it's already at a good price point, so cutting content without offering more other than an additional game in the bundle (which I'd argue is just not worth it at all) seems bloody stupid to me. Besides, it's not exactly a big thing as it is. I don't really get their decision to release this model, but I guess I'm not a marketing exec...

It's a cost-cutting measure. That's why I'm surprised they didn't do it earlier. The proportion of the Wii market that actually makes use of BC must be miniscule.

SMiD
22-12-2011, 02:39 PM
As a Wii owner since day 1, I say it's worth it if the whole family will be enjoying the system. I enjoy Nintendo's first-party offerings and the VC, my wife was into the Wii Fit for quite some time, and the kids like watching shows on Netflix.

And yeah, what Rii said. The Gamecube had some gems, so see if you can find a model that's still backwards-compatible.

Voon
22-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah, sure. Wii sports, Animal Crossing, Mario Galaxy, Donkey King Country Returns... yep, guess your kid would enjoy this one.

Unless, you're actually going to play this console. So, if you are, consider buying The Conduit, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Madworld, No More Heroes and of course, Monster Hunter Tri. The VC had a lot of gems from the older Nintendo consoles like the N64 or SNES and the Wii had a backwards-compatiblility function to play GC games.

Rii
22-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Mario Galaxy (and most of Nintendo's oeuvre, for that matter) is for anyone who enjoys video games and virtuouso displays of design prowess, not merely kids.