PDA

View Full Version : So here's the Ali- err, 'Prometheus' trailer

Rii
23-12-2011, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think I've seen something like this before. And from the same director even. Scandalous!

Serenegoose
23-12-2011, 11:17 AM
vid snip

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think I've seen something like this before. And from the same director even. Scandalous!

From wiki:

The film will be a prequel to the 1979 science fiction horror film Alien.

So the similarities are at least an intentional invoking of the themes and stylisms.

DigitalSignalX
23-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Neat, I had no idea about this movie till today. Evidently it takes place prior to Alien in that universe and is regarding the ship the crew of "Alien" found.

Rii
23-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I like how they managed to get a boobie shot in.

Kadayi
23-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Hans Zimmer on Musical duties it seems.

Xercies
23-12-2011, 02:22 PM
This looks like a remake of Alien, but with an earth invasion tacked onto it...hmm.

westyfield
23-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Hans Zimmer on Musical duties it seems.

BWAAAAAAMMMMM

aaaaaah!

BWAAAAAAMMMMM

aaaaaah!

gwathdring
24-12-2011, 02:24 AM
He's a decent composer. I like that he used the slowed-down Edith Piaf track as a basis for the inception music. Last Samurai and Sherlock Holmes were some of his more interesting works, though--almost every other soundtrack of his gets mixed up with his other works in my head because of the unnecessary similarities. Don't blame Zimmer for the movie-trailer trends, though. He doesn't write the trailers, and the trailers don't even always use music from the films they advertise. The whole THREE UBER-BASS BLASTS trailer thing has been around since a fair bit before inception came out, too.

I agree that Zimmer's obsession with UBER-BASS, three blasts in a row or not, is rather tiresome.

The JG Man
24-12-2011, 05:29 AM
From what I'm aware of this, it's supposed to be a prequel/remake, lying somewhere between the two, if that's even possible.

I like that there seems to be no unnecessary CG; the vehicle departure scene from the bay clearly showed them being all actual vehicles, or at the very least models.

Bet the final scene of Prometheus is one of the following:
1. See the shuttle from the ship in 'Alien' landing.
2. See an actual Alien (although obviously will be dead by the time of 'Alien').
3. Some people talking about how they need to send another mission to investigate what happened yarda yar.

tossrStu
24-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Of course, nothing will ever beat the original Alien theme, heard here in its definitive form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdcOVjbP1TY

Alex Bakke
24-12-2011, 03:01 PM
It won't be another Alien(s); Scott has stated that the Xenomorphs won't feature at all this time around, and that he's looking to do something new here.

I think this is going to be well made, but ultimately disappointing. Gives off too much of a space-zombies vibe - if you look closely, you can see a human wearing a full protective suit being attacked by a human that shows signs of mutation, as well as not having the helmet of the suit on. So, that suggests whoever it is is being mutated to fit the ship's atmosphere.

As the space-jockey's seat is clearly visible in one shot, as well as the space jockey himself (Possibly - he's certainly around 9 feet tall), I'm guessing it'll have a human mutate into a space jockey.

JUST GUESSING.

BobsLawnService
24-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I say "Nay" to all you Nay-Sayers. If this is Ridley Scott on form telling the story of the alien ship on Hadleys Hope then I am all in.

Looks great.

Down with baseless cynicism.

Rii
24-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I say "Nay" to all you Nay-Sayers. If this is Ridley Scott on form telling the story of the alien ship on Hadleys Hope then I am all in.

Looks great.

Down with baseless cynicism.

My only concern from that trailer is that the action quotient may be too high.

BobsLawnService
25-12-2011, 06:19 AM
My only concern from that trailer is that the action quotient may be too high.

The reason I'm not too worried about this is twofold.

1. It is minute-and-a-half trailer and they generally place an emphasis on action and special effects.
2. Aliens is an action-packed film and I think it is awesome.

The JG Man
25-12-2011, 06:25 AM
However Alien has little action and this is clearly some sort of prequel or tied heavily to that.

BobsLawnService
25-12-2011, 07:01 AM
However Alien has little action and this is clearly some sort of prequel or tied heavily to that.And Aliens was a sequel to Alien and it was it was a brilliant film even though it didn't stick to the formula.

Rii
25-12-2011, 04:11 PM
The reason I'm not too worried about this is twofold.

1. It is minute-and-a-half trailer and they generally place an emphasis on action and special effects.

Maybe, but I've had similar concerns before which turned out to be justified, e.g. Inception.

On a more positive note I nominate the shot (and accompanying musical beat) at 0:56 as Best of Trailer.

2. Aliens is an action-packed film and I think it is awesome.

Aliens is awesome, but not all films can be Aliens, and action isn't what's been missing from the last three Alien-verse films or recent Hollywood 'sci-fi' efforts in general. On that account I'd prefer to see something along the lines of Alien or Alien 3 even if there weren't a general correlation between explosions and entirely forgettable films, which there is.

Fumarole
25-12-2011, 05:57 PM
What's wrong with explosions? As the size of an explosion increases, the the number of problems it is incapable of solving approaches zero. :)

BobsLawnService
25-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Maybe, but I've had similar concerns before which turned out to be justified, e.g. Inception.

On a more positive note I nominate the shot (and accompanying musical beat) at 0:56 as Best of Trailer.

Aliens is awesome, but not all films can be Aliens, and action isn't what's been missing from the last three Alien-verse films or recent Hollywood 'sci-fi' efforts in general. On that account I'd prefer to see something along the lines of Alien or Alien 3 even if there weren't a general correlation between explosions and entirely forgettable films, which there is.

I'm going to make the assumption that with Scott at the helm this has the pedigree to be another quality film. It is hardly as if it is being directed by Michael Bay or whoever directed those awful AvP films. The man has the clout to make his own film and seeing him return to that universe is just something that has me really excited. The explosions in the trailer don't look too gratuitous. The fact is that the alien ship has to crash on Hadley's Hope and something like that is going to make a big bang.

The JG Man
25-12-2011, 09:25 PM
And Aliens was a sequel to Alien and it was it was a brilliant film even though it didn't stick to the formula.

Sorry, didn't make my point clear enough. Aliens was directed by Cameron, Alien by Scott. They might have agreed on many aspects, but they produced two entirely different films that do not at all share the same genre, apart from a sci-fi prefix. Alien had almost no action, precisely making that film why it is. If this is supposed to be linked to Alien in some way, a heavy amount of action doesn't really make it fit well.

Xercies
25-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Hmm but maybe thats why he dropped the Alien prequel idea and made it into a different universe/direction. maybe he wanted it a bit more action and realised it wouldn't go well with Alien.

Momo
04-01-2012, 06:42 PM
This looks really fantastic

Dubbill
29-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Viral video linking Alien and Prometheus:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/watch-prometheus-character-peter-weyland-talking-at-ted-2023/

DigitalSignalX
03-03-2012, 07:01 AM
neato!

10char