PDA

View Full Version : RIP codex ?

mr.doo
26-12-2011, 01:15 AM
http://www.rpgcodex.net/

Have you seen this ?
Aparently the site gone for good, anybody knows what happened ?

ZIGS
26-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Why is it signed gog.com and then crossed? This smells fishy and it's not just my underwear

mr.doo
26-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Actually, with a bit of investigation I came across this:

http://kotaku.com/5642141/what-happened-to-good-old-games

Read gog's farewell message and compare it with the one in the codex. I am now 99% sure this is some sort of lame joke.

pakoito
26-12-2011, 01:50 AM
It's fun to see people getting trolled this hard publicly. I hope this thread never ever gets deleted.

mr.doo
26-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Yes because I'm guessing the exact moment you finished reading the message on the frontpage you remembered gog's farewell letter and immediately associated with it, right ?
Because if you don't, that makes us at least two morons.

Casimir Effect
26-12-2011, 02:22 AM
So are they 3-4 months behind the rest of the internet/world?
That's like me saying to go here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ - because it's totally cool and relevant yo!

Nalano
26-12-2011, 09:00 AM
the RPGwatch's refugee thread (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12045&page=35) is good for some dinner entertainment.

Roufuss
26-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Reading that thread makes me grateful for the RPS forums.

I couldn't make it past two pages.

Kadayi
26-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Reading that thread makes grateful for the RPS forums.

I couldn't make it past two pages.

Indeed, Painful stuff.

Wizardry
26-12-2011, 10:19 AM
At least they (sort of) know what an RPG is. That's one pretty significant redeeming quality.

Kadayi
26-12-2011, 10:25 AM
At least they (sort of) know what an RPG is. That's one pretty significant redeeming quality.

Do they? I've always been under the impression that it's more a case of endless rounds of 'That's not a RPG!!!' rather than any unified grounded position tbh.

Drake Sigar
26-12-2011, 10:46 AM

I'd rather be happy in ignorance than bitter in understanding.

Wizardry
26-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd rather be happy in ignorance than bitter in understanding.
But it's too late for some people. It's sort of like a homeless shelter.

IDtenT
26-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I love the internets.

CMaster
26-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes because I'm guessing the exact moment you finished reading the message on the frontpage you remembered gog's farewell letter and immediately associated with it, right ?
Because if you don't, that makes us at least two morons.

Honestly, although I don't remember that letter exactly, the somewhat daft way things are said in the above post did make me immediately think of the GoG stunt.

Wizardry
26-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Honestly, although I don't remember that letter exactly, the somewhat daft way things are said in the above post did make me immediately think of the GoG stunt.
Of course it is. They are updating the forum software.

deano2099
26-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Perhaps they do. The sad thing is they then use that knowledge to rid themselves of any potential to have fun with any game that says it's an RPG and isn't.

I mean, there are people out there that only do it missionary-style because that's the 'right' way to have sex. And in some ways the weight of tradition means they could be sort of right. And one should respect their view. They are, however, totally missing out.

Wizardry
26-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Perhaps they do. The sad thing is they then use that knowledge to rid themselves of any potential to have fun with any game that says it's an RPG and isn't.

I mean, there are people out there that only do it missionary-style because that's the 'right' way to have sex. And in some ways the weight of tradition means they could be sort of right. And one should respect their view. They are, however, totally missing out.
Have you checked out any of the sub-forums outside of General RPG Discussion such as the strategy, adventure and general gaming sub-forums? People there love as wide a variety of games as people do here.

DarthBenedict
26-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I only played Planescape because of RPGCodex, so I'm pretty happy with the site.

Kadayi
26-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Have you checked out any of the sub-forums outside of General RPG Discussion such as the strategy, adventure and general gaming sub-forums? People there love as wide a variety of games as people do here.

Once you've seen people dance around in clown suits it's hard to take them seriously elsewhere tbh.

Wizardry
26-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Once you've seen people dance around in clown suits it's hard to take them seriously elsewhere tbh.
Yeah because only clowns hate your favourite games.

pkt-zer0
26-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Is the Codex still in Decline? It was a decent place before the lulz and idiocy overtook it.

Kadayi
26-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah because only clowns hate your favourite games.

Please, the majority of the posters there couldn't deliver constructive (positive or negative) criticism if their lives depended upon it. Most of what's written is largely inarticulate derision and endless personal attacks upon developers. Link to a Bioware interview? 'let's hate', link to a Bethesda interview? 'let's hate' rinse, repeat.

Wizardry
26-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Please, the majority of the posters there couldn't deliver constructive (positive or negative) criticism if their lives depended upon it. Most of what's written is largely inarticulate derision and endless personal attacks upon developers. Link to a Bioware interview? 'let's hate', link to a Bethesda interview? 'let's hate' rinse, repeat.
Ever checked out any of the threads in the workshop?

Unaco
26-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Are they as chock full of Antisemitism, homophobia and general bile as the rest of the site? If it's a workshop, does it have blueprints for nailbombs and maps of Manchester's Canal district or Golders Green? I think I'll give it a pass.

Kadayi
26-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Why would I want to play golf with the Klan?

jp0249107
26-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I have to say clicking on that refugee thread, I thought I was on 4chan for a sec. They have the same "hate" mentality about everything that the sewer of the internet does.