PDA

View Full Version : 360-Style Controller

Ignorant Texan
09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I am open to recommendations. I do remember stock XBox controllers as being a bit small. I'm intrigued by this one:

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.218524000/parentCategoryID.54297600/categoryId.54746700

So, do any RPSers(I have big hands, so please keep this in mind) have some recommendations? I wish to thank all y'all in advance.

EDIT:When I had an original XBox, my hands would begin cramping after 30-45 minutes. I bought an after-market controller that was larger, and this solved my problem.

thegooseking
09-06-2011, 05:05 PM
You must have very big hands if you find Xbox controllers too small. I have fairly big hands and find them just right; most of the people I know complain about them being too big.

So, yeah... I have no recommendations. Sorry.

Rii
09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
The original Xbox controller was larger than the subsequent Controller S and X360 controllers, but I don't think it was compatible with PC.

Terrible D-Pad aside, for my part I think the X360 controller is near perfect. If I had my way I'd improve the feel of the shoulder buttons and add some Gamecube-esque size/shape distinctions between the face buttons, but that's about it.

KauhuK
09-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I have the wireless x360 controller for windows and it's great. Defenitely recommending it.

CMaster
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Wireless 360 adapters are a bit hard to acquire these days I believe.
Wired 360 pads are however cheaply available and work very well. I don't get on with it for a lot of games where I should, (I prefer the keyboard, due to familiarity I guess for platformers) but where analogue control is required, it does a solid job,

Jake
11-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I have big hands and I find the new Xbox360 pads perfect - I couldn't stand the small pads on the original Xbox though, or any Playstation controller, too small for me. I'd go for one of these: http://amzn.to/lHNqGv it has the improved d-pad and I find wireless pads can get irritating as the battery runs out.

CuriousOrange
16-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I have big hands and I find the new Xbox360 pads perfect - I couldn't stand the small pads on the original Xbox though, or any Playstation controller, too small for me. I'd go for one of these: http://amzn.to/lHNqGv it has the improved d-pad and I find wireless pads can get irritating as the battery runs out.

The first Xbox controller were a lot bigger than the 360s.

Ignorant Texan
16-06-2011, 05:47 PM
I believe there was a redesign of 'stock' XBox controllers at some point. I bought my XBox in 2004, so that model is what I mean by 'stock'. I think both Jake and CuriousOrange are correct, it just depends on which iteration of the stock controller is being discussed.

slick_101
16-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm with the other guys here. The xbox 360 wired one does the trick very well. I too like to think i have average/big hands and it fits like a glove. perfect for super-meat-boy and racing games.

treat
18-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Microsoft's Wired 360 gamepad is the best for its broad plug-and-play functionality, and is natively supported by the largest number of games. Most other off-brand gamepads suffer from compatibility/calibration issues with many games, specifically in regards to triggers and analog sticks which use more complex axis scales and variable sensitivities versus the simple on/off nature of buttons. So the question here is whether you prefer hand cramps, or the severe headaches associated with the hours spent endlessly attempting to get an off-brand gamepad to work correctly (often futilely).

One thing to consider, though, is what you'll primarily be using the controller for. If it's for modern games that require/work well with analog sticks, the 360 pad is great. However, the 360's directional pad is of notoriously shoddy design, so if you plan to play more classic consolesque games like side-scrollers or the like, you'd be better off finding an alternative with a more suitably functional D-pad of which I know none to recommend.

e; All that said, as a PC only game player, I still struggle to feel I've received my moneys worth from the 360 pad simply because I'm typically uninterested in many of the titles that support it and many more you would think do, don't. (Such as cross platform games that for some reason forego any built in controller functionality in their PC ports; Dead Space, Mass Effect, ect.)

Jake
19-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah sorry, to clarify - I loved the original pads that were with the original Xbox when it was first released - the giant ones. I didn't like the redesigned pad which I think was called the 's'. It was too small and gave me hand cramps. The Xbox360 pad doesn't give me cramps, it's fine.

Also I think the d-pad has been redesigned to not be crap on the latest version, it swivels to change mode. Either that or it is coming soon, I'm not sure, mine is old.

The JG Man
19-06-2011, 08:46 PM
The new grey pad, other than looking quite bland, is wireless, so you need to go through the rig-ma-roll of getting a wireless thingy-ma-jig. By the time you've covered all your costs, you could've bought 3 wired controllers. The d-pad is described as being better, but I wouldn't say it was *that* worth it.

Christian
06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
[...] (Such as cross platform games that for some reason forego any built in controller functionality in their PC ports; Dead Space, Mass Effect, ect.)

I just recently bought one of those controllers (for Batman, couldn't finish it just with KB&M I have to admit..shame on me I guess) and was surprised how many games do support it (I have it plugged in all of the time). And Dead Space was among those which supported it just fine. I think I remember that it even switched the on-screen hints accordingly (btw: I'd really love to see more games handle it as fluently as Just Cause 2).

But regarding the size: I've got quite large hands myself and have had no problems with cramps or such with the XBox-controller, even after two hours of Batman-endgame or long Just Cause-session).

So another recommendation for the XBox-thing.

CuriousOrange
11-07-2011, 04:52 PM
You can pick up a wireless reciever on ebay for about 8 quid now. Well worth it if you really need wireless, or already own some wireless pads for your 360 to use on pc.

LeiterJakab
11-07-2011, 05:06 PM
If a game doesn't support your controller you can always go with xpadder.